It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Children as young as 6-months old can know the difference between good and evil.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The reason the babies know the difference is because God took the time to write His laws upon everyones heart. Thus your born with the knowledge of good and evil. There is an age of accountability. It veries between people around the age of 8-12. However, their are acceptions. Some younger and some that never will no matter how old they physically become due to lack of mental developement. They go to heaven and after accountability its a different story.

As for caugh politicians caugh caugh, they have seared thier conscience with a hot iron and have no problem doing all manor of evil. Knowing good and evil and then acting upon it either for good or for evil is a personall choise.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellsmight

I have a 5 month old and I still don't always understand the difference between good and evil.

I know what people perceive to be the difference between right and wrong.

I know what looks comfortable and looks uncomfortable to me.

But good and evil........ ahh, they are so intertwined, especially if you are wise, you see this.

My child knows little of good and evil. He knows little of love and hate.

He knows what is comfortable and uncomfortable. He does not want us to be uncomfortable unless he is uncomfortable. He does not want us to be comfortable unless he is comfortable. It's all about him.

But good and evil......... They are so much alike!

There is such a fine line that one pours over into the other. Good and evil are not white and black. And yet there is no grey!

The topic of good and evil is so incredibly simple and yet complex. As little as I am able to describe what I know to be true, short of my son being spiritually aware, he knows nothing of these things.

Good is perfection. Evil is challenge. Challenge leads to perfection if one chooses the path of betterment. Challenge leads to destruction if one chooses the path of inaction.

Perfection leads to destruction if one chooses the path of self-righteousness. Perfection leads to justice if one chooses the path of humility. Humility is the ability to contain and absorb evil. Humility is the ability to not only recognize the existence of evil but to embrace it for what it is!

It's so simple to know but it would take weeks for me to continue with this.

But know this -- Those babies are not showing that they like the good guy in those articles. They are showing that they like the easy-going guy.

This is proof to me that babies want not to be disciplined or challenged in life. What "good" is there in that?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
The reason the babies know the difference is because God took the time to write His laws upon everyones heart. Thus your born with the knowledge of good and evil. There is an age of accountability. It veries between people around the age of 8-12. However, their are acceptions. Some younger and some that never will no matter how old they physically become due to lack of mental developement. They go to heaven and after accountability its a different story.

As for caugh politicians caugh caugh, they have seared thier conscience with a hot iron and have no problem doing all manor of evil. Knowing good and evil and then acting upon it either for good or for evil is a personall choise.

God did indeed write the laws upon everyone's heart. However, which part of the law says, "Do not push your puppet friend back down the hill, even if it is to lead him away from danger?" Did the babies understand the reasoning behind each of the puppet's actions or did they draw their own conclusions based on how they wish to be treated - to be allowed to go wherever and do whatever they please without reasonable understanding of a situation?

As for accountability, we are ALL responsible and accountable for our actions. God does have mercy on those who did not understand, but are we still not responsible for our actions?

We are ALL but babes in His eyes. Babes which appear and disappear like sweat off a brow onto a hot oven then vaporized.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

There is a lot more to infants than we think, and though they cannot communicate verbally, they're very much aware, and have access to their real memories of self, their consciousness/spirit. Scientists assume if infants can't physically show through advanced motor skills they can pass one of their tests, that they don't possess the skill, whereas in reality, they simply need to sleep alot to grow, and focus on what interests them, and can't meet the physical requirements for the test. Many of their tests are inclusive.

What I'm pointing out is that brains, and wiring are just a software program, and that only consciousness can even be proven to be real, the reality of the world around us, "matter" is a very debatable thing.

I think our consciousness/spirit/soul is what knows right from wrong, at least for most of us.

Unity - I disagree with alot of what you have said even though I believe you have true intentions.

But firstly, the brain and the wiring would be hardware. The consciousness would be the software.

As well, the heart is what you speak of.. if you call it the consciousness, maybe. The spirit, no, for we are physical beings, knowing nothing of the spirit except that which It reveals to us (until, of course, we are granted, if we are judged worthy, spirit bodies for eternity). The soul, no, because we are a living soul - the body, mind, and that untouchable thing which we can call the "heart" (Not physical heart of course) or the consciousness.

See, the heart upon which God has written the law is the heart of our thoughts, our being, our consciousness. The core of all that we know it is, so to speak.

However, I do agree that scientists don't know what they're talking about and that babies are VERY MUCH aware. My son, Link, has been aware from day one. I know, I was there when he came out wide-eyed and surprised at all the sudden brand new stimulation. I was there when he made his first smile a few moments later when he realized that he was okay. I was there when he took to mom and feeding within 30 seconds of her showing him where it was at. I was there when he got that heel stick and he screamed because of the pain and then opened his eyes 5 seconds later with appreciation because the stick was over with.

I agree as well that the material world is an illusion and that reality is within the "heart" or consciousness of our being and that we are able to perceive reality in our imagination to a small degree.

I say a small degree because rarely can such simple things be explained with such short communication. Refer to same post for evidence.

Edited for my drunken redneck grammar and spelling.

[edit on 5/11/2010 by TarzanBeta]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Children are reactionary for the most part and generally give little thought to what they do. This doesn't mean that they are not accountable for the action but shown mercy for not understanding the action. Once we understand what the action implies we are held accountable.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
When my son was a little older than a year and half old, (admittedly much older than the children in this study), his mother had several errands to run one day and couldn't find a baby sitter, so she brought him to my work office and left him with me. He was always welcome at the office, and for the most part could sit on my lap and not interfere with my work too much, and everyone at work spoiled him beyond measure, so he loved coming to work.

This particular day, he was sitting on my lap, but my computer screen was old, and had been shorting out quite a bit, and the slightest touch would cause it to go dark, and I would have to jigger the thing several times before getting it back up and running, (cheap ass employers!). Anyway, Ian, my boy, started to touch the screen and I told him no, and explained to him that I was having this problem. A few minutes later, he tried to touch it again, and I told him no again, and explained why. On his third attempt, I said no, and with that million dollar smile of his, and impish sparkle in his eyes, he ever so slightly touched the screen and it went dark.

His impish eyes widened in horror, and he spontaneously spun around on my lap and jumped off and wobbled away in his unstable run until he got about half way across the office, and then he stopped, stood there for a few seconds, and finally, slowly, turned around and faced me. He was holding one finger in his other hand, and the look of regret on his face was palpable. He waddled back and mutter his version of an apology, while I shook my head in disappointment while I tried to get my screen back up. He climbed up on my desk, intent on helping me with my problem, but for some reason, I couldn't get the screen back on.

After a few minutes, he was so distraught with the situation, he climbed back down off of my desk, and walked over to my co worker and tugged on his shoulder until he got his attention. He tried to explain to Allen the problem I was having, in that incomprehensible baby talk, but Allen got the gist of it, and leaned over to see where I was at with my problem while Ian kept desperately trying to find some way to fix the problem he felt responsible for. Finally, I was able to get it back on, and just as palpable as his regret was, so was his overjoyed relief, and he high fived both Allen and I, and with a satisfied smile apologized once again, and decided to go hang out with the receptionist where he was less likely to cause any damage.

I understand this is not so much an account of good and evil, but I couldn't help but marvel at his level of ethics, and the genuine sense of responsibility he harbored at such a young age. I would like to think I had something to do with that, but that is just hard to buy, and it has always struck me that his level of ethics was all his own, and to this day, he remains, while impish and possessing a devious sense of humor, a very ethical and moral child who does not tolerate lies, or any behavior that strays from his sense of ethics. He teaches me well, and I only hope that I can return the favor.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Good and Evil?
Surely we should begin with Right and Wrong? Good and Evil are such shall we say Christian beliefs, how can a child know what Good and Evil are unless it;s rammed down their throats?

Now that is evil to do that to a child, sometimes I wonder if these Adults understand the concept themselves.

Some of the Children abused by Priests have said they where told do as I say or your going to hell, now that is nothing but evil, just how young does a Child need to be? why cant they be allowed to grow a little learning Right and Wrong before being brainwashed into the mindset of what is the evil in the minds of those who love to use those words?

My Children know what is Right and Wrong, everything else they can make up their own minds about as they grow older and ask, they will never hear the word evil spew from our mouths, when asked we will explain and let them make their own spiritual decisions.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I think it is time for these psychologists to consider a new profession. Conducting experiments like these and drawing such ridiculous conclusions from these experiments makes all those interested in the scientific study of human behaviour look silly. Create experiments that are actually useful and beneficial for humanity!

[edit on 11/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I think we all, as babies and young children - which we all were once - look at situations as "What is good for me? What makes me feel good?" and in many instances this is precisely the same as "What is good for everybody?" (ie food, warmth, etc). A baby's first instinct is to survive and they soon learn which things help them to do that, and we reinforce that by our interactions with them, so that they learn what is good.

However, genetics also comes into this. Each of us is born with an almost unique template (unless an identical twin), with different strengths and weaknesses, onto which our culture, parenting etc is written. So as life goes on, "What is good for me" does not necessarily equate with "What is good for you" - for example, one may enjoy reading, but another does not because they have dyslexia. A person with autism may not automatically enjoy the company of others.

I am not sure that babies can tell the difference between good and evil, mainly because what is "good" for one person may be "evil" for another (or shades of that spectrum anyway), so what exactly are we measuring?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

This is why "spanking" considered harmless, actually has an identity and security busting effect that leaves a devastating impact on children.
Spanking instills a sense of temporary helplessness and a subconscious and lifetime longing to be in the position of "hitter" without even really knowing why.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

This is why "spanking" considered harmless, actually has an identity and security busting effect that leaves a devastating impact on children.
Spanking instills a sense of temporary helplessness and a subconscious and lifetime longing to be in the position of "hitter" without even really knowing why.

Are you joking me?

Where are you getting this?

You do not become strong unless you lose your security. What will keep you strong if you do not know how to develop security for yourself?

You do not become yourself unless you lose your self. What will make you who you are if you only borrow what is given to you?

A human being must become naked to all things and learn that he/she can be alive and survive and be successful even if he/she is on the bottom!

It is not a parent's fault if a human being decides to NOT take the proper path after the parent's have raised him/her.

But it is the parent's fault to a degree if they did not try to be balanced with love and discipline.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

If the material world is an illusion, and you are part of this material world, how did you find out it was an illusion? How does the illusion hold any validity regarding itself?

Self-reference paradox FTL.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
...scientiests studying morality in six month old babies?... where'd they get their diplomas?... academy of blood-suckin' nitwits would be my bet...

...morality is social programming... it has to be learned... its not congenital... six month old babies know what they like and what they dont like - thats it...

...if, as this ridiculously sorry excuse for journalism promotes, six month old babies know the difference between good and evil, how is it that the babies of dope dealers or pedophiles or murderers or politicians adore their parents?... answer: see above...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Are you joking me?
Where are you getting this?
You do not become strong unless you lose your security. What will keep you strong if you do not know how to develop security for yourself?
You do not become yourself unless you lose your self. What will make you who you are if you only borrow what is given to you?
A human being must become naked to all things and learn that he/she can be alive and survive and be successful even if he/she is on the bottom!
It is not a parent's fault if a human being decides to NOT take the proper path after the parent's have raised him/her.
But it is the parent's fault to a degree if they did not try to be balanced with love and discipline.

I am not sure what you are trying to say because you will not come right out and use the words but if you are for hitting or spanking children under the guise of discipline I am telling you as serious as a heart attack you are not helping, guiding or enlightening the child.

I almost said you are not educating the child but this isn't true at all. You are educating that child - in the worst possible way. Educating them to realize no one, not even the parent that loves you, can be depended upon not to harm you.
Oh they will have plenty of good reasons for harming you and "it will hurt them more than it will hurt you" and "this is how you become stronger" and one day you will even "thank them for it."

All bull sheet. You will remember to trust no one.

Corporal punishment is harming the child more than many will even know - and this is a little sad all by itself.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join