It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Stephen Hawking—and everyone else—is wrong about alien threats

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
Aliens will not come as warmongers or as agressors or anything like that. To build a society that can goto to the stars requires cooperation and intelligence and wisdom. Theres is nothing on Earth that you cant get elsewhere in terms of minerals. Now what Hawking meant I think was that any alien civilisation thats able to come here will have a profound affect on humaninity. As we have no world government who do they speak to? Do they speak to USA China Russia etc. If aliens do make contact with say China how do you think USA will react. They be paranoid as hell thinking these aliens are giving them weapons or something daft..Also what if they gave us technology to make to create extremely powerful power generators and when they leave the cavemen leaders of the world want to try and make a weapon from it and in the weapons test run we blow our planets to bits etc.....

How do you know what planets have or do not have? What if the earth contains a very rare mineral that some species has been searching for? Or what if our sun has some rare compound that is used in galactic trade? There are just too many variables to try to claim all alien are benevolent.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

ITs called chemistry look it up......

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Incase you weren't aware, not every planet has the exact same chemical compounds.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Agree whit your "human nature" theory.
star.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Incase you weren't aware, not every planet has the exact same chemical compounds.

No but they all have the same basic elements and its elements that make compounds......Asteroid belt contains gold and other precious metals. Theres a star thats made from pure diamond somewhere out there etc.....

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

No but they all have the same basic elements and its elements that make compounds......Asteroid belt contains gold and other precious metals. Theres a star thats made from pure diamond somewhere out there etc.....

Yes, but I'm saying that there IS a chance that we have a rare chemical, or a rare mineral, that is quite hard to find, there's also a chance of misinterpretations leading to war with aliens, and many many other factors. Look at us, we're interplanetary now, do you think we're going to become completely benevolent when we gain interstellar travel? I certainly dont.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Did erased my post.

[edit on 3/5/10 by spacevisitor]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wow, I wonder is Stephens ears are red from ringing with all of the ATS traffic generated by him coming out of the woodwork just to say shhh. This has to be the 3rd thread I've read today with this call'em, don't call'em debate going on.

I say don't call'em Not because I think they're evil. They may be. I'm just of the opinion that since we know full well that evil exists here on the planet already that we would be better off cleaning our own houses first. After all, isn't that standard operating procedure? Clean house prior to guests arriving? Check!

I bet the first "aliens" we see "officially" will either be from some black ops program we've already payed for, or our future Earthling selves coming back to try to fix a past time line!

Actual disclosure is going to be as anti-climatic as new years eve after Y2K!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Didn't anyone consider that there might be both? Good ones and Evil ones?
What did Reagan say at the UN? "Maybe there is already an alien species among us".

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is proven and a fact: WE ARE MORE DANGER INTO OURSELVE, THAN ALIENS INVADING US.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by sam_inc]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Im kinda with Steven on this one I mean look how we have populated this planet the dominant race will conquer. I mean who knows they might be watching us right now ?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Antor
If "they" (57 different species Clifford Stone) had been evil, they would have already erased us from this planet.

Or, some faction of aliens have already enslaved us without our knowledge and currently control the planet through the upper echelons of power structures.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Antor

Of all the millions of species on earth, we all commit "murder" or we kill for food, fun, defending what we care for for. From human straight through to bacteria, we all will take what ain't ours.

Why would a "not of this world" specie be any different?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 5/3/2010 by qonone]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
So as we sit here, debating to talk or not to talk, like it's up to us to decide that, don't we at least agree that no one here on this planet has the charter from an alien planet stating the intentions of said race?

I have to think that they (ET) can really do what they want to do, despite what we want or don't want. So I'd have to say at least right now...peaceful, but perhaps we are just not "ripe" enough for picking yet.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
What resources are found on earth and not on other planets in our solar system or elsewhere in the galaxy? Besides humans...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
For some reason I don't think people can assume how Aliens will or will not react if they ever make themselves known to Humanity. To assume that just because Alien has a better understanding of the universe that they will be peaceful might just be a bit fanciful. If Alien life is ravenous as us humans then coming here and taking what they want would be tantamount to me destroying an ant colony so that I could steal a few crumbs of sugar. (I loved Contact)

So on that note…

I am a bit more pessimistic in life and would rather be surprised by people or aliens when the have good intentions than be disappointed when they phasor me in the back when I thought that their farts smell like pot puree while they uplift humanity. I agree with my wheelchair bound friend that we should take care and that as humanity we should uplift ourselves so that we are prepared to face anything whether it is bad or good. I would rather have humanity meet Aliens on equal terms than under them.

Hopefully once we can get past our own little petty squabbles humanity can start focusing on improving itself. I am not holding my breath for that though.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Didn't anyone consider that there might be both? Good ones and Evil ones?
Exactly...I think that's the most likely answer by far...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Aliens could very easily be hostile. Lets take a quick hypothetical.

Imagine a primitive race, that receives by chance a crashed UFO, reverse engineers it, until it is capable of traveling to other star systems. Even if it took 50 or 100 years to reverse engineer it, that race would be out amongst the stars far before it had outgrown its primitive urges.

Essentially, what if We become the hostile alien species?

Theres far more to Hawking's concepts than good or bad, us or them. Turn the concept on its head, and we are a threatening warlike species with a potential arsenal far in advance of our years if certain conspiracies turn out to be accurate.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

If Aliens wanted us gone

The fact that they may not be benevolent is a fact. The fact that we are still here has nothing to do with it. Just because we are still here may only
mean we are a plentiful source for other things. Slavery, research , who
knows.

Chaos for one who objects so adamently to the existence of God.
You and OP seem ready to jump right on this horse. I believe hawking is right on about this. You can go against him, but I would rather his opinion any day.They don't exactly offer any guidance with their vast knowledge do they.I think only one thing of this train of thought. Naive.

If there are "good ones", why arn't they here where they can do a great deal of good?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by randyvs]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join