It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat tries to "revive" her friend

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Agreed, "TrueBrit"....but, you are referring to Lemurs, and they are in the family of primates (as are WE)...

I htink it's been already mentioned that this video, while heart-warming, is being misinterpreted. I AM a "cat person", BTW, so I am not 'hating' on them, but just pointing out (attempting to) that the 'kneadsing' instinct, as shown, is...well, an instinct.

To attribut that cat with the "intelligence" that some have is a stretch of the imagination, I am afraid. This would require one to believe that THIS CAT has knowledge of the internal organs, and their arrangement, of the other cat, AND that THIS CAT somehow also has the wherewithal to consciously grasp the biology of respiration, and heart/blood/circulatory systems in mammals, etc.

Cats are clever, cute (sometimes) and crafty....but trained in EMT procedures? I hardly think so, not even in "instinct".

The 'kneading' behaviour has been well-explained, already.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I am in no way saying that cats or indeed any other non human animals have the capacity for anatomic study , or the execution of a classic heart massage treatment lol!
However, its my belief that animals in general have a much deeper capacity for compassion, and general emotion, than we give them credit for. Thats all .

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Agreed, "TrueBrit"....but, you are referring to Lemurs, and they are in the family of primates (as are WE)...

I htink it's been already mentioned that this video, while heart-warming, is being misinterpreted. I AM a "cat person", BTW, so I am not 'hating' on them, but just pointing out (attempting to) that the 'kneadsing' instinct, as shown, is...well, an instinct.

To attribut that cat with the "intelligence" that some have is a stretch of the imagination, I am afraid. This would require one to believe that THIS CAT has knowledge of the internal organs, and their arrangement, of the other cat, AND that THIS CAT somehow also has the wherewithal to consciously grasp the biology of respiration, and heart/blood/circulatory systems in mammals, etc.

Cats are clever, cute (sometimes) and crafty....but trained in EMT procedures? I hardly think so, not even in "instinct".

The 'kneading' behaviour has been well-explained, already.

#1. I don't think anyone is literally stating the cat is trying CPR.
#2. Here's a simple analogy to discredit your PoV.

You don't need to know how a gun works to pull a trigger.
You don't need to know how the cardiovascular system works to do chest compressions.
You don't need to know how to take a pulse to determine if something is dead.

On and on.

As advanced as WE are. We overly complicate things to the point our ego tells us we are the only creature capable of such feats due to it's complexity.

I got news for you. The majority of crap we do doesn't require intelligence, it's not mysical science. It's just more complex than it needs to be so we feel smug at our own self worth.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Oh, I heartily (pun) agree.

It has been evidenced, certainly, in our nearest relatives (the various primates) and also in many other mammal species.

Elephants, of late (but that came as no surprise to me, based on many natural sciences programmes I've seen over the years)...

Of course, ocean-going mammals, we know have an advanced sort of intelligence, and thus capacity to 'mourn', this has also been observed.

In the case of "domesticated" animals, species and breeds that have a long history of Human interaction, there is ALSO clear evidence that there are, for wont of a better term 'psychic' connections, and bonds, that occur, between Humans and their animal companions (well, we are ALL animals, actually, but my point is...)

...point is, Human capacity for anthropomophizing exists, in our impressions that we assign to animal behavior.

Call it a "clash of cultures", in a sense.

Not to tend to steer off-topic, but this (our understanding, and connections with) our known other species we share this planet with have profound implications for the time (IF/WHEN?) we ever meet up with an extra-terrestrial intelligence.

Not sure if I made this clear, hope someone gets it....

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I watched the vid once, and cannot watch it again, I cried!
very sad to watch.

Why does everything have to be pulled apart on here so much? The cat is obsiously distressed that it's friend/mate has died.

Does anyone know if the cat is female or male? Not that it would make a difference, but like someone said before maybe it is "her kitten", or maybe it is "his mate".

I would like to add that my oldest male cat has used biting another cats neck (male and female) at times of distress, like travelling in the car for example. I can guarantee that he was not displaying any sexual tension. It seems as if the cat was trying everything they could think of to get a reaction, just utter disbelief that he/she has died.

Also I have 2 young cats (male and female) who display these emotions to each other and seem like they are a partnership, with mutual cleaning and playing and never any fighting, just pure adoration for each other. I can imagine this is the reaction they would display if one of them died.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

Starred

Tell me animals don't feel like we do.

I have known some animals that had more emotional heart than some humans I have encountered.

Molly our cow stood over her still born calf all morning and by the way she was mooing, it was clear she was mourning. While Molly was normally gentle, she would not let Grandpa remove the still born calf until later that afternoon, and then Grandpa said she followed him and watched as he took her dead baby away.

Sugar, our farm dog use to get along with all the animals on the farm (except El Toro the bull). After the chickens got loose one Sunday and some how got to and pecked Sugar's puppies to death, Sugar from then on would kill any chicken she came aross with a vengence.

A vrey profound book along this topic is Dominion by Matthew Scully.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What I think people need to realize is what the Elders have taught in my culture for a long time. EVERYTHING HAS SPIRIT AND IS SACRED!!!!!

I am very happy to see these video's coming out that show cat's, dog's bird's wales, ALL SORTS OF LIFE morning and saving their friends and family and even US>

WAKE UP people they are sacred spirits too! They love you and understand so much more then you think. Just because we don't speak their language doesn't mean they do not speak / feel/ love us. Cat's and Dog's have been at our side thousands of years, can you really think they have not learned from us and us them?

Oh and I know the male aligned science says its not true, yeah well science once said we could not move faster then 35mph or we would go crazy and science also said that we were the center of the universe. Science has been wrong.

Think on this, white people treated Blacks and Natives like animals because they did not write/speak/ wear cloths etc. They were not even considered a human. Now we know so much better, what will we learn when we open our minds and hearts to our Four-legged family? What will we discover about ourselves when we learn our Feather Family are very smart and trying to teach us. How man lessons have been lost to us because white folk made up some bullshize religion and was first taught this
Gen:
"God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." (yeah this plan worked out great didn't it?)

This is Egoic man speaking no god I know. We are to live in and part of the earth not over it like false god's ourselves.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post!
Great find SnF for chu

Namaste

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

www.thepetitionsite.com...

a__holes everywhere...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Or lived on a farm as I did.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Don't confuse actual empathy with psychological projection. Humans need to compare something with our experiences in order to understand it. Just because it sounds like to you like a mourning moo doesn't actually mean it is. Many animals lack the brain capacity to understand death at all, I believe cows are one that lack enough of a developed frontal lobe to comprehend mortality.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by VintageEnvy
I can't watch the video. I like animals more then people which is sad but I do.

Same here, i don't like cats though, but i like dogs.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx
another one bites the dust....

[edit on 3-5-2010 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx]

There's always an idiot like you that just can't resist being a troll.

What did you hope to achieve by posting your ignorant and pathetic edited comment? Are you desperate for attention or something?

You don't have to like cats but to wish harm on them or any other animal is heartless and just shows the world what a fool you are.

This planet would be a much better place without people like you.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Beast Of Gevaudan]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This video brought a tear to my eye. It's profoundly moving.

My pet cat when I was growing up exhibited behaviours of deep emotion and sensitivity. She would kiss me on the nose with her nose when asked for a kiss, she would wait for me everyday outside the house at the same time and run out to greet me, an so on...

Anyone who believes this is something else is clearly in denial at what they are watching.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights
This video brought a tear to my eye. It's profoundly moving.

My pet cat when I was growing up exhibited behaviours of deep emotion and sensitivity. She would kiss me on the nose with her nose when asked for a kiss, she would wait for me everyday outside the house at the same time and run out to greet me, an so on...

Anyone who believes this is something else is clearly in denial at what they are watching.

A nose to nose rub is not a kiss, she is marking you. Would she follow her "kiss" with a rub across her cheek, you know, where her scent glands are?

She waited for you outside because you are both park of her pack and a provider of food.

You are projecting human emotion in really common animal traits. I'm not the one in denial.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ricwolt

You guys.... I hate to kill the topic, but that cat wasn't trying to revive the other cat... it was in heat and humping the dead cat!

My male cat does this all the time on his favorite sleeping blanket. He will put part of the blanket in his mouth and start "kneading" with his paws while his hind legs and rear end are "spazzing" out, almost twitching, and it's back is arched over... Like dry humping a blanket...

I have to agree with this satement- our cat shows the same actions.
The cat make sexual advances to his dead mate- just watch closely from 40 to 50 secs

You really don't know much about sex or animal behaviour. I hope you get taught. With animals, humping is an act of love, not clouded with your human taboos.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

So sad....

Thanks for sharing this with us though.

Ive had cats for most of my life and Ive seen some things that no one would ever believe. I'll just say this, they are MUCH smarter than people think, and when they think they're alone, they do things that most would think are impossible.

I just hope it was quick for that lil guy in the video

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

How can you be so certain what animals can feel and what they cant?

Do you possess some sort of animal telepathy? Or were you an animal at one time your self?

I cant understand how some people can assume that we know everything about what goes on in an ANIMALS brain. We dont even understand why WE as humans do things, and we can talk about it.

Anyone who has ever lived with an animal and considered it one of the family will know what Im talking about when I say that its not always instinct that drives these creatures. Sometimes they can be so affectionate at the right time, they can sense that you're feeling down, you can see how excited they get when they haven't seen you in a while, and dont try and tell me its just because they want food.

I know better....

If everything they did was driven solely on instinctual behavior, how can you explain when a whale, a dog, or any wild animal for that matter, goes out if its way to save a human being? What part of its brain controls THAT INSTINCT?

[edit on 3-5-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

WoW.....you tend to speak a truth.....

This is an emotional topic, and I think it's because WE HUMANS have emotions....which we ascribe (for better or worse, sometimes) upon other animals here on this planet.

I would like everyone reading, and responding to, this thread to sit back for a moment, and ponder.

.....REACH deeply into your 'inner psyche' (or whatever) and consider...

Whether (or not) these animals (AND, please remember, WE are animals too) have an 'essence', or 'consciousness'....or, easier term, 'awareness'....

THIS is a salient concept that MUST be understood, IF we are ever (as a species) to progress forward, in our evolution towards sentience.

(YES! I said it!) WE (humans) are still progressing towards sentience. We 'think' we have achieved 'it'...but are woefully misinformed...OH, and please do NOT try to insert any sort of 'religion' here.....sorry, but 'Organized Religion' is part of what contributes to holding the species ('human") back.....

[edit on 3 May 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Cats are my favourite animals. I love my kitty Jess, we have a strong connection. I often get "kisses" from her. I've also noticed that when I'm not well she'll be nearby watching me as if she's my concerned little guardian.

That video was hard to watch without getting a little emotional. While I'm unsure if the cat in question is actually trying to revive it's recently deceased friend or simply trying to hump it as some have said, they do have emotions and are capable of showing compassion. They're level of intelligence and awareness is often overlooked.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

I've lived with a multitude of different types of animals since before I could walk. I've had dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles, amphibians.

I know because we have scientific measurement that dictates the intelligence capacity of animals. I'm not saying that animals can't be intelligent. Cats and dogs and many other animals can display many clever solutions to problem solving.

The difference between you and I though, is not that we have been around animals longer, it's that you continue to project human emotions on animals that do not hold them, and insist what you see is truth. But it's not, it's your imagination. It's like when you matrix a human face on the moon, our minds try to understand the world from our experiences, so you try to make animals as intelligent as humans. They aren't. Their frontal lobes are underdeveloped and with consistent study and research on the intelligence of animals, all have come with results that do not equal what you claim you see.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join