It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia, NZ condemn whaling plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Australia, NZ condemn whaling plan

www.abc.net.au

The IWC's proposal would let whalers harpoon 400 minke whales and 10 fin whales each year in Antarctic waters until the 2015-2016 season.
Fin whales are an endangered species and green groups say the only reason their numbers are strong again is because of the ban on commercial whaling.
Australia says it will not support the proposal and in a surprise twist New Zealand has also said it will not support it.
The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) says the proposal endorses the killing of whales in one o
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NZ gives whaling OK

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
New Zealand has turned against Whaling once again after Murray McCully tried to bargain a better deal to Allow Japan's Whaling.
Three weeks ago there was international outrage when New Zealand said it would consider this proposal, but it now says the proposal is offensive and inflammatory.
Anti-whaling stance negotiable - McCully 08 Mar 2010.

Any deal with Japan to allow whaling would have to be very attractive to get New Zealand support

Zelong.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We must have threatened to invade NZ again...Not like there's anything in the place worth invading for tho

On a more serious note, what are the Japanese going to eat when there's nothing left in the ocean...After they've completely bled the resource dry ?

Sure tofu's not too bad once in a very long while, but there's no way I'd eat it every single day...

Japan has to learn most of the rest of the world has had enough with the way it has systematically raped the Pacific and Southern oceans since the end of WW2...

There will come a time when whaling is banned, completely...And it will be a truly great day when it happens...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Good for the Aussies and Kiwis. It's time the rest of the world wakes up. These animals have lifespans and growth cycles longer than our own. Some whales have an 18 month gestation period. They are also highly intelligent with very distinct social structures.

Not to mention whale meat is highly toxic. A whale carcass is considered a toxic waste site when they wash up on the beach and must be dealt with using hazmat procedures.

If this goes through the Sea Sheppard's are going to have to get more boats. Don't think they'll have too much trouble getting volunteers if this goes through.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by DEEZNUTZ]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retrovertigo
There will come a time when whaling is banned, completely...And it will be a truly great day when it happens...

I sure hope so, also for the dolphins, until then I fear the worst.

let's hope Star Trek IV never becomes reality.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

I sure hope so, also for the dolphins, until then I fear the worst.

let's hope Star Trek IV never becomes reality.

Absolutely

Some of the practices I've seen of rounding up dolphins in their hundreds and brutally slaughtering them because they dare eat fish that fisherman think is their god given right to catch is so far beyond inhumane I don't have a word for it...

Disgusting

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
G'Day All,

As I said in an other similiar whaling post, the Japanese have no business in our waters raping the sea of all life.

They still have not apologised for Changi and what they did too our young boys after the war was declared over, they had a choice just to let them go but they slaugthered them like animal's.

Why would we let them, they would not stop with the Minke's and the Fin's, it would be a free for all.

I say Pi## Off Japan.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

Exactly, well said. It's not the rest of the world's fault that Japan destroyed their own fisheries but now they want to bring the whole house down. There hasn't been enough study on these animals to know what a sustainable number of whales is.

They try this all the time with fisheries. When the explorers sailed into the waters around Newfoundland discovering the New World, there were soo many Cod that it actually slowed down the progress of the ships. So that is the kind of numbers you get when the system is roughly in balance.

Now look at the East Coast Cod fishery. It's virtually non-existent.

The Japanese need to get bent. Everyone knows that their so-called "Research" is bogus.

Movies like The Cove and Whale Wars are good to show what they do. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

It's like a Native Band in Washington State. Certain individuals claiming traditional hunting of Grey Whales towed the ceremonial boat out beside the motorboat and when the traditional harpoon wasn't working they pull out an M-60 and kill it. Yeah very traditional.

There is no need to kill a whale to get tissue samples.

Piss-off Japan and maybe start a "Soilent Green" type of society. You'd have a renewable food source.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

I hear you Kernoonos
I'm a Grandson of a Changi POW that spent two years in that hell and got home too, thanks to the Bomb

Zelong.

top topics

join