It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Aliens: The Series! On The History Channel. ATSers' Discussion.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

I'm glad to see some like minded people here. There seems to be a consistancy in enthusiasm about this series and this subject.

Seems to be some people here who are relativley informed conserning this subject's basics.

I think you called them "Vermenas"? hoghead?
Typo or mispelling, but, your post brought up some escellent points. star.
www.vigyanprasar.gov.in...
i think they are more oftenly referred to as vimana not sure if that is a singular term or if it is also plural. vimanas?

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Just another way to scare the public into submission...I believe the aliens are out there believe me but check into project blue beam, they can basically make the sky a giant teleprompter.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Yeah and mainstream science thinks you cannot possibly go faster than the speed of light.

It's absurd. In every way possible.

Like they would even know.

What's absurd is your blatant use of a straw man argument like this.

"Mainstream" science makes no such claim. If you spent a few minutes looking in to relativity, you'll find this to be the case.

What is claimed is that a thing with mass cannot exceed lightspeed with respect to one's original reference frame and remain in this universe.

Harte

[edit on 4/23/2010 by Harte]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

i think they are more oftenly referred to as vimana not sure if that is a singular term or if it is also plural. vimanas?

Problem is, the "ancient" Vedic text they used as a source for their claims about Vimanas was written in the 20th century.

You would think they'd mention a thing like that if they weren't trying to mislead viewers, wouldn't you?

Harte

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
has anyone noticed the similarities between the gold aircraft object and the X-37B? Anyone got any links to a possible picture?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Where is your proof that the Rig Veda is 20th century? Or that the Muhabharata is 20th century?? They both talk of the vimanas.

And if they are as recent as you say, how could they have so many references and commentaries on them throughouit the centuries?

The Rig Veda dates from about 1500 BC, the Muhabharata from about 540-300 BC. Scholars all agree on this.

Scared Texts

[edit on 23/4/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by Harte

Where is your proof that the Rig Veda is 20th century? Or that the Muhabharata is 20th century?? They both talk of the vimanas.

Yes, but neither can be described as a "pilot's manual" with "explicit instructions for operating" these imaginary vehicles.

Besides, I never said what you claim here. Why do you put words in my mouth?

The "documentary" specifically cited the Vimanika Shastra (and only the Viimanika Shastra) several times and displayed the line drawings that were added to that text in the 1950's.

Not one single time did they even give the slightest inkling of a suggestion that the VS, the only source they used, wasn't "ancient."

In fact, they actually stated that it was ancient. More than once.

The thing was written in the 1930's for God's sake.

Harte

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Alright, I'm sorry if you thought I was putting words in your mouth. And yes, the vimanika shatsra is of dubious origin, which has been debated.

So forget about it. It IS VERY unfortunate that the only text they cited was this, since there are MANY references to vimanas in truely ancient Hindu texts.

I just felt that, in reading your two responses, that you were a bit wholly dismissive of the subject, and it seemed (to me) that the whole idea was deemed trash because of one questionable source.

In short there are plenty of REAL ancient descriptions of vimana, that seem to fit very closely with other "ufo" descriptions throughout history.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Heres an interesting link for you all. I was going to start a new thread but i feel compelled to add this to the current thread. Yeah you may think its off topic but to me there are many things that seem to be very relevant to place it here in more ways than 1. Please be patient and read the article.
I think the answer lies within.
www.google.co.uk... ines&ei=z_rRS-DPGo3w0wSE-ujhDQ&usg=AFQjCNEkL2dJS1djlkCzNP9Vhstg1Uj-Zg

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Nice link
Yeah that goes right along with the tv series and the topics it discusses. Thanks

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Problem is, the "ancient" Vedic text they used as a source for their claims about Vimanas was written in the 20th century.

You would think they'd mention a thing like that if they weren't trying to mislead viewers, wouldn't you?

The Show on the History Channel, Ancient Aliens Series did address this subject. You may be misinformed.

Ancient Sanscrit Texts dating back to 6,000 b.c.
Maharshi Bhardwaaja's
Vymaanika-Shastra

Indian subcultures and ancient texts talking about these things has been part of peoples religions in that region dating far back before the 20th century,
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

I can agree it was written in the 20th century. But the translations, and source materials have been handed down through the generations.

They are a part of far older religions.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I just wish they would have avoided using the vimanka shastra, because it opens the door for people to claim the whole subject is questionable. There are so many undisputed Hindu texts that are thousands of years old they could have referenced instead.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
First episode was called "The Evidence"
Second Episode was called "Chariots, Gods & Beyond"
Third Episode (Airing Tues night) is Called "The Visitors"

I'm going to go view and digest the first episode again and put together an outline with supportive links with information associated with the topics covered.

In a few hours i'll finish the list of the people interviewed on the show.

thanks for joining the discussion guys,
john

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

I just wish they would have avoided using the vimanka shastra, because it opens the door for people to claim the whole subject is questionable. There are so many undisputed Hindu texts that are thousands of years old they could have referenced instead.

I agree. And i thought they did mention them. But, as Harte pointed out, some books they reference were translations and based on older translations, but written in the 20th century.

However, it is my humble opinion, that enough ancient material exists to validate an ancient concensus that they did have a reason for writing them.
I'm not too quick to dismiss the recordings of our own antiquities.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'm glad to see the discussion has been civil.

A simple philosophy i try to adhere to is this:
People who are wrong, are usually wrong for the right reasons.

perspective carries with it the burdens of intentionality, opinions, and priorities or the self. much can be learned about individualism, but some perspectives don't require "self" as a variable.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

That's the thing, though. I'm not dismissing any ancient texts.
The only thing about vimanas that they referenced was the Viminaka Shastra, which WAS written in the last century. The Vedas and the Muhabharata were written well before Christ. That is just a fact. They talk alot about vimanas and battles using them and even their weapons.
The Ancient Aliens didn't reference the ancient texts at all. They mentioned the Old Testament of the Bible when talking about Ezekial, but ignored other viable texts from before Christ.

It just seems inconsistant to use a fairly modern text to support ancient visitations. Especially when the ancient texts are available that discuss the phenomena in more credible ways.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Yes, i know. We are on the same page, i agree the vimana were written about first as far back as 4,000 b.c. 6,000 years ago.

i believe there are many anomolies with our own antiquity. I'm not certain that all discoveries made have been fully disclosed to the public. Anomolies that become less "anomilious" from certain viewpoints. not sure if that was a word, i guess i mean things become less of an anomly if we are willing to accept occams razor. i think at the very least i agree with Graham Hancocks assesment, that we are a species with amnesia, anomolies in our own histories.

the books i have read, or reread so far this year offer me some insight into possibilities and were full of insights into this subject, or supportive in materials for some measure of skepticism.

1) Gateway to Atlantis, by Andrew Collins
2) From Atlantis to the Sphinx, by Colin Wilson
3) Gods of Eden, Egypts Lost Legacy and the Genesis of Civilization, by Andrew Collins
4) Atlantis Blueprint, by Rand Flem-Ath and wife.(4th time)
5) And I will soon by reading Fingerprints of the Gods, by Graham Hancock for the 3rd time.

This is where i get some of my recent background on the subjects concerning ancient civilizations, and their accomplishments. It's an intriguing passion for me.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Harte

I can agree it was written in the 20th century. But the translations, and source materials have been handed down through the generations.

They are a part of far older religions.

The idea that the VS was "handed down" is pure wishful thinking.

It was "channelled" in the 1930's.

Harte

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

reply to post by Chamberf=6

Yes, i know. We are on the same page, i agree the vimana were written about first as far back as 4,000 b.c. 6,000 years ago.

Sorry, but the earliest writings ever found date only to about 3500 BCE and are Sumerian, not Hindu.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join