It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Aliens: The Series! On The History Channel. ATSers' Discussion.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Greeting & Salutations ATSers. Your Opinions and contributions are welcome here, as far as I'm concerned. Be you a skeptic, or a person that at least entertains the possibilities of the subject content. Hopefully we can support eachothers' rights to voice their opinions on the information presented. It doesn't have to be a debate, it can be: just a discussion.

It is my desire that we can discuss the facts, while efforting to maintain the integrity of the intended "spirit" of ATS. Personally, I consider myself a skeptical believer. I find the information intriguing to say the least.

Since the History Channel has endeavored to create a series concerning The Ancient Aliens theories, it would be a wasted opportunity to not use it as a platform for open discussions about it.

It is a fantastic show for new comers to get caught up with ideas that have been bouncing around in mainstream for decades, and if valid for thousands of years before that. Though, most theorists think open discussion began with Erich Von Daniken's "Chariots Of The Gods".

My contributions will be less opinionated, and more focussed on researching information and links to the individuals interviewed on the program who support the possibility of ancient aliens, and outlines of the information covered on the series itself.

I think this is an excellent opportunity to promote discussion here on ATS while providing information on the subjects main supporters, main skeptics, who are speaking out about the ideas supporting and not supporting the subject.

- I willl focus on providing information concerning the credibility/credentials of the people on the Series being interviewed. Brief bios perhaps, and links to information about them, or projects they currently support.

- I will focus on providing information concerning the topics the series covers.

- I welcome open discussion, thoughts, ideas, and legitimate grown up talks about the facts, and our opinions.

History Channel's Ancient Aliens, The series
www.history.com...

THE SERIES OPENING BEGINS WITH THE NARATION, AND QUESTIONS ...

" Millions of people from around the world believe we have been visited by extraterrestrial beings.
What if it were true?
Did ancient aliens really help to shape our history?
And if so, what if there were clues left behind?
What if we could find the evidence?
Who were they?
Why did they come?
What did they leave behind?
Where did they go?
Will they return? "

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Well I caught the first two episodes. I enjoyed them both, although the second one was kind of a rehashing of the first Ancient Aliens special from a while back.
I thought it was pretty cool to see the larger models they made of the golden "flying craft" pieces from So. Amer. All they had to do was add a propeller. No tweaks to the aerodynamics or any other added parts. It flew great. Kind of gives the skeptics a bit more to chew on.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the shows.

[edit on 22/4/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Source:
www.history.com... ry
The Ancient Alien / Ancient Astronaut Theory:

According to ancient alien theorists, extraterrestrials with superior knowledge of science and engineering landed on Earth thousands of years ago, sharing their expertise with early civilizations and forever changing the course of human history. But how did this concept develop, and is there any evidence to support it?

Ancient alien theory grew out of the centuries-old idea that life exists on other planets, and that humans and extraterrestrials have crossed paths before. The theme of human-alien interaction was thrust into the spotlight in the 1960s, driven by a wave of UFO sightings and popular films like 2001: A Space Odyssey. The space program played no small part in this as well: If mankind could travel to other planets, why couldn’t extraterrestrials visit Earth?

In 1968, the Swiss author Erich von Däniken published Chariots of the Gods?, which became an immediate bestseller. In it, he put forth his hypothesis that, thousands of years ago, space travelers from other planets visited Earth, where they taught humans about technology and influenced ancient religions. He is regarded by many as the father of ancient alien theory, also known as the ancient astronaut theory.

Most ancient alien theorists, including von Däniken, point to two types of evidence to support their ideas. The first is ancient religious texts in which humans witness and interact with gods or other heavenly beings who descend from the sky—sometimes in vehicles resembling spaceships—and possess spectacular powers. The second is physical specimens such as artwork depicting alien-like figures and ancient architectural marvels like Stonehenge and the pyramids of Egypt.

If aliens visited Earth in the past, could they make an appearance in the future? For ancient alien theorists, the answer is a resounding yes. They believe that, by sharing their views with the world, they can help prepare future generations for the inevitable encounter that awaits them.

Seems Erich Von Daniken might be a good place to start.
He has authored at least 26 books on the subject, though ridiculed by mainstream science openly on many issues. Still he managed to raise awareness and ask some intriguing questions, based upon evidence.

www.history.com... x100.jpg

source:
www.history.com...

Born in Switzerland in 1935, Erich von Däniken is widely regarded as the father of ancient alien theory, also known as ancient astronaut theory. He published his first of 26 books in 1968 while working as the manager of a five-star hotel. In Chariots of the Gods?, Däniken put forth his controversial hypothesis that, thousands of years ago, space travelers from other planets visited Earth, where they taught humans about technology and influenced ancient religions. As evidence, he pointed to religious texts in which heavenly beings with supernatural powers descend from the sky. He also suggested that extraterrestrials with superior knowledge of engineering helped ancient civilizations build architectural marvels like Stonehenge, the Great Pyramid of Giza and the Maoi statues of Easter Island.

Chariots of the Gods? appeared at a time when aliens and space travel loomed large in film, fiction and popular culture. It was the era of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek and Frank Herbert's Dune series. Däniken's ideas thrived in this climate, and his book became an immediate bestseller in the United States and Germany. It can now be read in more than 30 languages and has seen 40 printings to date. Over the years, Däniken has attracted a large group of followers, many of whom have conducted and published their own research, although he has also received criticism from some within the scientific community.

For more than four decades, Erich von Däniken has been writing and speaking about the notion that mankind and aliens crossed paths in the distant past. His work has inspired documentary features and television specials while capturing the imaginations of multiple generations of people around the world.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I don't see how it cannot be true. Honestly.

Everything indicates ancient aliens is a reality, from my perspective.

How could it not be so? That is the question.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Seems Erich Von Daniken might be a good place to start.
He has authored at least 26 books on the subject, though ridiculed by mainstream science openly on many issues.

Yeah and mainstream science thinks you cannot possibly go faster than the speed of light.

It's absurd. In every way possible.

Like they would even know.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Pretty please can someone post a vid like on utube for the rest of the online world to see. This is one of those paradigm shifting shows that gains credebility from the mainstream label history channel that could wake so many people up. Youd be doing a service to humanity, if so much as one person starts their own journey of truth seeking and research.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I liked too the section of the NASA engineer getting his design ideas from the description of the craft that Ezekial saw. Kind of shows that a viable ship was seen in the past. And how the craft was also described as having "wheels within wheels" sounds like a gyroscope to me...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Well I caught the first two episodes. I enjoyed them both, although the second one was kind of a rehashing of the first Ancient Aliens special from a while back.

I strongly agree, great observation!

I have the old special from 2009 on tape at home. I've watched it about 8 times since a year ago. And you are right. They have managed to use almost all the interviews they had from that special in the first 2 specials, which makes me hopeful (since it is a series) that what is coming will be newer material.

But you have a good point. The first 2 of the series seem like review. I have the first 2 on tape and have watched them each twice. while taking notes. notes for this blog.

The next episode is coming next Tuesday, i believe.

So, obviously if i'm going to be outlining the info here, i'm already 2 weeks behind schedule. that's alright. I'll be posting more info on the individuals on the show, and outline the info from the show here as well, by the end of the weekend.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Here is a link to the History Channel's page on the series:

Ancient Aliens

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Yeah and mainstream science thinks you cannot possibly go faster than the speed of light.

It's absurd. In every way possible.

Like they would even know.

...yes, they would.
it's an assertion based on only, oh, 400 years of experimental confirmation and theory preformed by the most intelligent minds on the planet, who dedicated their entire lives to understanding the universe in as much depth as possible.

it is completely impossible for any form of matter or energy to surpass the speed of light in a single inertial frame for various reasons: one, the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time passes in your frame of reference relative to outside frames, until at c it stops completely. two, for matter to reach the speed of light, it requires *infinite* energy. aka, as likely as a perpetual motion machine - impossible. three, the closer you get to the speed of light, the smaller distances become in your direction. this can be interpreted as you becoming infinitely long or the universe becoming infinitely flat. and no, it doesn't lead to getting from A to B any faster - don't forget your time is slowing down to zero.

it is very well understood that for an object with mass to reach the speed of light is essentially impossible, but it can approach it with TREMENDOUS amounts of energy used. More energy than contained in a star.

however, bear in mind that one does not need to exceed c to get from point A to point B faster than light can. the universe is not "flat" in a three dimensional sense. A straight line is never the shortest distance between two points - zero is.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JScytale

What about X-rays? Or tachyons? I thought they went ftl.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

x-rays are electromagnetic radiation, just like visible light, and like ALL electromagnetic radiation, it travels at exactly c (the speed of light) when in a vacuum.

EDIT: regarding tachyons, yes they do travel exclusively faster than light, but are also purely theoretical. they are the result of attempting to explain quantum mechanics (which is basically a big jumble of things that make no sense but are proven over and over again. it was famously said that to claim to understand quantum mechanics is to prove you do not understand quantum mechanics).

they are much more an explanation for instability than a real, theorized particle - not only are they considered too unstable to exist (and, due to their nature of violating causality, would not be able to transmit information or mass), but there is absolutely zero evidence suggesting they do, in fact, exist.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by JScytale]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Tachyons

Another oddity: tachyons. In 1967, Gerald Feinberg, a physicist at Columbia University, proposed the existence of these faster-than-light particles. In their mirror world above the light-speed barrier, tachyons would require infinite energy to slow down to the speed of light

VSL

FTL

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The theories were well presented and not too "dumbed down" for those who may not constantly scour the internet for info on this stuff (like we do) or who are not necessarily believers.

I cant say they introduced anything too mind blowing or new, but it was well done and well argued. As one who is already a believer it was good to see a show on the history channel that didn't sensationalize the ET and UFO idea into a parody of itself (like UFO hunters did).

I'm not here to argue about any of the comments, theories, or ideas presented by anyone on the show but I do feel that in terms of entertainment and "education" it was a success.

I'm sure some of you hardliners will find fault but in my opinion it was really cool. I look forward to seeing the rest of the series.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Tachyons

A hypothetical particle that travels faster than the speed of light (and therefore also travels back in time). The existence of tachyons is allowed by the equations of Einstein's special theory of relativity. However, although searches have been carried out for tachyons, the results have so far proved negative.

Perhaps not surprisingly, despite numerous searches, no tachyon detection has so far been confirmed. The same is true of another hypothetical faster-than-light particle called a dybbuk (Hebrew for a "roving spirit"), which would have imaginary mass, energy, and momentum. Dybbuks, proposed by Raymond Fox of the Israel Institute of Technology, are so strange that some of their odd properties cancel out to an observer yet, interestingly, they avoid the causality problem of tachyons.

www.daviddarling.info...

they are essentially the result of plugging in irrational values to equations such as matter=energy equivalence and coming up with irrational results. they could THEORETICALLY exist, but no evidence suggest that they do.

for example:

E = m /√(1 - v2/c2)

hey, let's try plugging in a velocity above c!

what's this? we're dividing its mass by an imaginary number now?

now this suggests that its mass-energy is imaginary...

except we can measure an object's mass-energy. what this says is that when you plug in irrational values, you get irrational results. theoretically possible, sure. likely? no.

for reference, an imaginary number is a non-real number. the square root of a negative number is imaginary, because any number, negative or positive, when squared, gives a positive result. it is mathematically impossible to square a number and get a negative result.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 22-4-2010 by JScytale]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a little bit about me.
hello my name is john.
anybody who knows me, knows i like ATS.
I would like to see ATS quality become better.
I'm hopeful about "The Conspiracy Chicks Project"
I see alot of potential for the show and the ATSers.
Ultimatley their success is ATSers success, and the quality of their presentations depend largely upon the quality of content we provide them. We can collectivly tackle some aspects of some big ideas and we can all benefit from discussing the aspects of certain issues.
Especially the topic that this thread efforts to compliment.
Anyone who is familiar with some of my Threads knows i can think outside the box, and present some interesting ideas.
I've been studying the ancient alien/ ancient astronaut theory since 1992.
I've managed to read a few dozen books on the subject.
I've managed to learn a few things while employed by the usaf in the desert of nevada, with over a decade worth of experiences.
I've managed to recieve some applause and awards for some of my ideas, and some strong ridicule as well. I'm still around, and still like this site, and ATSers.

I'm 38 yrs old, and i call Illinois.
i also don't take the time to Capitolize even "i". i usually just type through it.

i hope to scan a pic of me in iraq at the Ur site next to the Very Ancient Ziggeraut, and post it in my profile page. Humbling standing next to a building 40 times older than my own country.

I'll reserve my opinions on this thread, to a degree, and focus more on the facts and information the series presents.
I'm sure it should make for a great discussion and subject matter moving towards a more creditable ATS content.

You guys are ATS.
And This is A Great Subject, with plenty of intriguing evidence.

By the way, i tried to upload a pic of Erich Von Daniken by his brief bio, and only got the link. i wanted the pic. what am i doing wrong? Got the properties jpeg and tried globe icon, and colored and black and white computer icons. no success. Help or advice?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Recent thread on the Ancient Alien series.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Do you have to upload the image to the media section first, then select imbed? I thinks that's what I did in the past.........

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Just wondering then, do you think all the theoretical physicists and string theory people are just wasting their time?

BTW sorry, I will try to stay more on topic of OP in the future.
And I DO know something about math.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

i'll do it step by step so its clear.

E = m /√(1 - v^2/c^2)

E = m /√(1 - 2c^2/c^2)
(this is plugging in the velocity of an object moving twice the speed of light.)

E = m /√(1 - 2)
(c^2 cancels itself out, leaving us with 2/1, which is 2)

E = m /√(-1)
(we are now attempting to find the square root of a negative number. 1^2 is 1, not -1, meaning the result is imaginary. lets call it i)

E = m / i
(now the mass is imaginary. alternatively...)

m = Ei
(now the energy is imaginary.)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join