It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States and Australia to share new Health Care reforms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Just had breaking news here in Newcastle, Australia on a national news broadcaster channel 10 @ 5:04pm 20/04/2010 that Kevin Rudd has 90% signed Australia into some kind of health care reform sharing program.

Apparently all of the states apart from WA (Western Australia) have signed into the reform agreement with Kevin Rudd placing $6 Billion into the joint venture.

I've heard lots of stuff on msm about these reforms in the US and wondered if anyone here knew what the implications were if this was to go ahead.

Very interesting times ahead I feel....

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Disclosure Agent]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Maybe it's just pm trying take the focus of all his failures...
...insulation, schools, boat people etc.

[edit on 20/4/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Maybe it's just pm trying take the focus of all his failures...
...insulation, schools, boat people etc.

Insulation was rushed but a good idea.
Schools is going through bumps, but is a good idea
Boat People have nothing to do with the government, if anything its a result of the previous governments support for the war in the middle-east.

As for the health system, I don't know the ins and outs of it, but it seems like a reasonably good idea to me.

VOTE GREENS!!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
THe school program is a lot of buildings that most schools do not want and built by Gov friends at very very high prices. A lot of schools are not happy.
Same goes for the insulation program.
With health care it was the same as US. Pay now and receive money in 2013 onwards, (why does post 2012 keep coming up?)
They also wanted states to giveup 30% of their state generated GST (Value added tax) but who knows if the Fed will leave GST at 10% or increase it...
Different country, same crap I reckon..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
As far as i know its not a health care reform like the US.
All it is, is the government throwing more money away, the money is going into the health care systems, upgrade hospitals, 3000 new beds (i think) train more staff, blah blah, i believe it when i see it.
The Rudd government has done nothing right so far, I assume this will be a waste of money also

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This has more to do with the GSt than it does about health care.

One of the two very stupid moves by the Howard Govt was to give the states ALL of the GST. The Commonwealth collects it and then allocates it to the states. This is just a way of getting some of it back.

see here: www.businessspectator.com.au...

(The other stupid move was selling off ALL of Telstra in one lot).

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by whateverpedia

One of the two very stupid moves by the Howard Govt was to give the states ALL of the GST. The Commonwealth collects it and then allocates it to the states. This is just a way of getting some of it back.

Whilst I agree with your comments about the GST, Hell$tra wasn't sold "all in one lot"...

It was sold in 3 tranches...

On topic tho...To suggest the health care reforms taking place in the US and Australia are similar is totally ludicrous...

In the US, I believe the federal government is forcing people to buy private insurance, and making it affordable for people who may not have been able to afford it in the past..Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying this, I'm only mentioning it to compare to the Australian situation, which I have direct experience of...

The Rudd Government have proposed funding 60% of public healthcare costs in return for "clawing back" a percentage of the states' GST take...

The two proposals are chalk and cheese, really...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
thanks for the replies and comments guys.....

I'm understanding this a little better than I did before so cheers !

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

Originally posted by whateverpedia

Whilst I agree with your comments about the GST, Hell$tra wasn't sold "all in one lot"...

It was sold in 3 tranches...

On topic tho...To suggest the health care reforms taking place in the US and Australia are similar is totally ludicrous...

In the US, I believe the federal government is forcing people to buy private insurance, and making it affordable for people who may not have been able to afford it in the past..Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying this, I'm only mentioning it to compare to the Australian situation, which I have direct experience of...

The Rudd Government have proposed funding 60% of public healthcare costs in return for "clawing back" a percentage of the states' GST take...

The two proposals are chalk and cheese, really...

Point taken about about Hell$tra (good name for it BTW, I gave you a star just for that). I worded what I meant badly. I meant to say that it was sold as one company, instead of being split up into the infrastructure (cables, wires, etc.), and the telco part of it.

Meanwhile, back on topic, I agree that the changes in the US and Oz are completely different things.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by whateverpedia

Off topic again, but yep, agreed

Hell$tra should definitely have been "split" before its sale, and the government should have maintained ownership of the "network"

Due to this oversight by the wonderful pre-1960's previous government who instigated Hell$tra's sale, the current government will have a #storm on its hand trying to get Hell$tra to separate without a whole lot of grief and gnashing of teeth by all parties concerned, including the public...

And yes, the health changes in Aus and the US are poles apart...

top topics

join