It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Fantastic time lapse of yesterday's action ... wow!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It just cleared up a bit.
Volcano clearly blowing for the moment. So I presume it was ashfall we saw earlier.

eldgos.mila.is...

very clear now

Nid

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
(The Lightning due to the Silica content within the Ash, causing Electrostatic charge locally which is released as Lightning within the Plume.)

Thank You!!
I really wanted to know how the lightnings occur at a volcano eruption.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Keep watching the cam.... link

What the hell is that strange light on the left, it's like lightning but just continuous. It's the first time I have seen light bend. I think this Volcano is going to go boom big time, watch this space.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAgain

I was wondering what that was, I thought maybe a reflection on the camera lens?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
Keep watching the cam.... link

What the hell is that strange light on the left, it's like lightning but just continuous. It's the first time I have seen light bend. I think this Volcano is going to go boom big time, watch this space.

It's just sunlight playing on the lens.

Are our Icelanders online - the latest news is in.. but it's in Icelandic!

www.ruv.is...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Change in eruption in Eyjafjallajökull

Eruption of Eyjafjallajökull 17.4. Photographer Baldvin Hansson
This morning was the change in the eruption in Eyjafjallajökull. TF-Sif, Coast Guard aircraft, is on its way to gosstöðvanna to investigate the matter. Measuring service saw the turmoil of gosstöðvunum had increased and ash cloud was seen no longer the radar. According Agust Gunnar Gylfason manager in coordinating civil defense center, this is a sign of change but is too early to say what they are. That will probably occur when the TF-Sif comes back to Reykjavik. Decreased with ash falling in the morning and it stopped at several farms under Eyjafjöllum. That will probably turn to the southeast and east is taking over the day. It is likely then to be in Volcanic Ash Skaptartongue and include land and possibly in Kirkjubaejarklaustur and Mýrdalssandi. We eftirlitsflug Gígjökul views of scientists saw the open channel that leads down from the crater to mount root and running water in it. It is assumed that no accumulation of water in the crater and no significant reason to worry about the run. Farmers have received assistance björgunarsveitarmanna to bring their animals into the house, you are trying to bring horses in hagabeit out of the area.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Cheers - was using Babel and didn't have Icelandic

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

The news says that there has been a change in the eruptions and there is a lot of "órói" - don't know the right english word for it but tremors, unstable, unquiet or something like that are maybe words that are close to it.

They don't think that we will have another flood because the water isn't growing in the crater anymore but running down in a open channel.

changes are in the ash cloud and ash completely stopped falling in close area but could be du to wind changes.

The national security airplane is flying over the area as we speak and more news will come after the plain has landed.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by skjerulf]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Some interesting pics on the Valahnúk cam right now.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
can some one tell me what the hell is this light show thats appears on this cam..eldgos.mila.is...
never seen anything like this on a cam before....

nvm it look like a lens flare............

[edit on 18-4-2010 by loner007]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

I was thinking it was a lense flare but it seems to light up the mountain, where the light streak ends. Could be sun breaking through?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I also think it's sunlight peeking through and in some way reflecting on the lens.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Is the seismic activity is increasing at Katla? I've read conflicting reports online--that the activity has decreased/increased. Here's an interesting article:
"Icelandic geologist Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson said: "The activity has been quite vigorous overnight, causing the eruption column to grow. It's the magma mixing with the water that creates the explosivity. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight."
www.nzherald.co.nz...

Edited to add a link to NPR:
www.npr.org...

[edit on 18-4-2010 by drclifford]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by drclifford

Magnús is talking about Eyjafjallajökull. There is no signs that show that Katla is waking up - yet.
Believe me, if she would show any signs, increasing tremors or something then you will know and there will be no doubt about it. But the increase tremor activity now is just from eyjafjallajökull like i said earlier, the earthquake monitor stations in that area are really close to both Katla and Eyjafjallajökull.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skjerulf

Thanks for all your updates and translations. :-)

It makes also sense that the activity we see on the gaphs comes from Eyja as this volcano is spitting all day.
I also think (my thoughts only of course) that we are seeing a more greyish eruption so more magma ejected in the sky than previous days.
I read on some of the links from today that a scientist said that there was no more water input in the volcano. This could also confirm that we are having a more greyish eruption, with less vaporised water in the magma.

Other subject.
I am having my doubts about resuming air trafic tonight as some companies want to do. If I am not completely wrong about the more greyish eruption, the danger could become much bigger than previous days if the column from today went high enough and pushing it eastwards.

Nid
sorry for my poor Enlgish but only my third language

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks to both posters. My background is medicine and I know nothing about geology. I feel much better knowing Katla hasn't awakened yet.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by skjerulf

So what's the name of the Volcano now, I though Eyjafjallajökull was just the glacier name. Is it Hekla or is that another Volcano, if not Hekla then Hekla seems to be showing signs of activity. I'm confused, it's all this talk confusing katla with Laki has me totally lost.

I though Laki was the real threat?

[edit on 18-4-2010 by NotAgain]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Volcanoes are most often glaciers because they are the tallest mountains. Eyjafjallajökull is a volcano with a ice-covered top.
Katla is in Mýrdalsjökull, right next to Eyjafjallajökull.
Hekla is another volcano in that area, also with a icecap. Hekla blows every 10 years or so, 1970 - 1980 - 1991 - 2000 - ????

Well they say that Laki is getting ready and is at the same position as it was 2004 when it last blew but honestly I can say that I don't even remember that, it isn't a big deal. It's in the middle of the biggest glacier in Iceland - Vatnajökull and the only threat from that is floods but not as much threat as the floods that have been in Eyjafjallajökull because nobody lives there. it is in middle of nowhere. On the map "Laki" is "Grímsvötn".

www.volcano.si.edu...

www.decadevolcano.net...

www.mynews.in...

The big threat is Katla indeed and history tells us that eruptions in Eyjafjallajökull wakes her up in 1-2 years. Well, if you are interesting in knowing some more I suggest that you google it
Katla last erupted in 1918, you can read about the consequences - but remember that we didn't have any air traffic then.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join