It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

"Then God said, 'Let US make man in OUR image, and in OUR likeness'"

page: 5
26
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
Marriage isn't a piece of paper, it is two flesh becoming one...A child.


Marriage occurs when a child is conceived? This means that Abraham and Sarah weren't actually married until she was around 90 years old?

There are many couples today who live together and had a ceremony where they exchanged vows, yet are unable to conceive. Does this mean they aren't married?




posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
Marriage isn't a piece of paper, it is two flesh becoming one...A child.


Marriage occurs when a child is conceived? This means that Abraham and Sarah weren't actually married until she was around 90 years old?

There are many couples today who live together and had a ceremony where they exchanged vows, yet are unable to conceive. Does this mean they aren't married?

This is incorrect.

Marriage was consummation.

If a man took a women into his tent and lay with her, they became one flesh...
...and were thus married.

Civil and religious ceremonies came much later.




posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

This is incorrect.

Marriage was consummation.

If a man took a women into his tent and lay with her, they became one flesh...
...and were thus married.

Civil and religious ceremonies came much later.


Well, that I can understand. I was commenting on what letthereaderunderstand had stated.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Im not religious, nor do I believe the bible to be anything other than a book, but if I may join the discussion with my own little contribution.

Im sure there are plenty of variations of this story.


Lets just go a step further and say the Ark was a "ship", just not the sea sailing kind. Our planet was dying or burning out and in our haste to leave we filled it with many kinds of different species of life and headed for another livable planet.


Of which we found this one or one like it and it was mainly covered in water. We found land eventually, lost our technology and became tribal again over time. But carried stories of this history, which changed vastly over the ages.


And thus it starts all over again, we become technologically advance, burnout our planet. Seek a new one, use every resource to get there. Lose our technology yada yada yada.

Atlantis over and over again.

I probably missed a lot of key elements, but I enjoyed this story, hope you did too



[edit on 7-4-2010 by Horus12]



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
reply to post by RedBird
 


No one f's with "the Jesus"...


Well...thats just like..your opinion man.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by troubleshooter

This is incorrect.

Marriage was consummation.

If a man took a women into his tent and lay with her, they became one flesh...
...and were thus married.

Civil and religious ceremonies came much later.


Well, that I can understand. I was commenting on what letthereaderunderstand had stated.

Sorry, I answered the wrong guy.




posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus12
Im not religious...

Yet you have the eye of sirius as your avatar...right.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter
 


No its the eye of horus or the eye of ra, that still dont make me religious.

I am a subscriber of the christian religion plagiarizing that of the ancient egyptions. And like it or not religion has played an enormous part of our history.

But my user names is horus12 and it was either a picture of some bloke named horus or using this one.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Horus12]



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Personally i have always wondered about this in the bible and i do subscribe to the alien thing. I know its been done to death and not a new concept butit definetly makes alot of sense. There is alot in the bible that surely does sound like aliens have visited this planet before and had a definete impact on our beliefs. I have to think that logically to the ancient mind these beings would seem like gods or god and his angels. Not only in the christian/hebrew and mislim texts are there these stories for example ezekials vision, but there are plenty of other religions with stories similar in nature to flying machines and beings coming down and going up into the sky etc etc. I know we have all heard thisbefore. Just wanted to throw my belief on the topic. Still a very interesting thread. SnF



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus12
reply to post by troubleshooter
 


No its the eye of horus or the eye of ra, that still dont make me religious.

I am a subscriber of the christian religion plagiarizing that of the ancient egyptions. And like it or not religion has played an enormous part of our history.

But my user names is horus12 and it was either a picture of some bloke named horus or using this one.

Sirius is aka the 'dog star'...
...it is in the constellation 'Canis'...
...from which we get Canine = dog...
...also where we get Canaanites (aka Sumerians)...
...and also referred to as Phoenicians from 'phoenix'.

They were one post-flood, post-Babel division...
...and are associated with post-flood hybridization.

Genesis 6:4 "There were giants (Nephiyl) in the earth in those days (pre-flood); and also after that (post-flood)..."

This may account for the 'phoenix' motif...
...having been killed/culled by the flood, they rose again like a Phoenix.

Horus was the son of Osirius or 'Of-Sirius' who was the Dog Star.

So you reckon there is no religious connection in your name and avatar eh?



[edit on 7/4/10 by troubleshooter]



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
Sorry, I answered the wrong guy.

Not a problem, but this also brings up more questions:

Was Lot married to his daughters since he had sex with them?

Was Abraham married to Sarah's maiden since he had sex with her?

Am I married to my hand?



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by troubleshooter
Sorry, I answered the wrong guy.

Not a problem, but this also brings up more questions:

Was Lot married to his daughters since he had sex with them?

Was Abraham married to Sarah's maiden since he had sex with her?

Am I married to my hand?

These are excellent questions....
...and an opportunity for you to seek answers from the Spirit rather than from me...
...so ask Him to enlighten you.




posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
If one looks deeper into this it gets curiouser and curiouser. In Psalms 82:6 it says that “You are Gods [Elohim]”. Strange that admission to other gods…

Then, in John 10:34, Jesus himself remarks upon the fact that he is being accused of blasphemy for proclaiming himself a son of God when the scripture says that you all [mankind] are Gods. This is, arguably, a reference to that exact same passage.

Strange bit of wording there. Why would the Bible first set out to use a plural tense?.Then have a passage admitting a multiple pantheon? Then have a prophet using that scripture to defend his own individual claim to Godhood by claiming that there is a multiplicity of Gods?

The really funny thing is that the staunch defenders will try to tell you that there is only ONE GOD!!!! – but really he’s divided into three parts – but still ONE – but not many – exactly three - like it says but not more than that – except for those other parts where it says more. Ummm….ok



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by passenger
If one looks deeper into this it gets curiouser and curiouser. In Psalms 82:6 it says that “You are Gods [Elohim]”. Strange that admission to other gods…

Then, in John 10:34, Jesus himself remarks upon the fact that he is being accused of blasphemy for proclaiming himself a son of God when the scripture says that you all [mankind] are Gods. This is, arguably, a reference to that exact same passage.

Strange bit of wording there. Why would the Bible first set out to use a plural tense?.Then have a passage admitting a multiple pantheon? Then have a prophet using that scripture to defend his own individual claim to Godhood by claiming that there is a multiplicity of Gods?

The really funny thing is that the staunch defenders will try to tell you that there is only ONE GOD!!!! – but really he’s divided into three parts – but still ONE – but not many – exactly three - like it says but not more than that – except for those other parts where it says more. Ummm….ok

You have a body and a mind (and some say spirit)...
...so are you one, two or possibly three?




posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by undo
 


Fantastic information! Thank You!

Just getting into your links but I can see already that there is far more to it than I had known of - even with my basic questions and scriptural references. Like I said: curiouser and curiouser ('course I ripped that line off of Carroll)



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silverstreak
 


If angels have a humanoid appearance maybe he was addressing them?



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations
 


No Adam was not created alone. The Bible is condensed from a host of texts and letters. There were 12 attempts at creating the Adam before there was success. Genesis mentions first that God created man and woman. The texts where this derives from goes further to say that the woman in question was Lilith. Allcultures have a Lilith story in their creation myths. Lilith refused to be told by Adam what she was going to do and she was banished to the ocean where she couldn't be found (that is until Cain finds her while wandering the wilderness after being banished wherein they had a son Enoch). She was referred to as "the wandering witch" who guided Cain through the darkness to the land of nod. It's where the phrase Lilly of the Valley comes from, the darkness was the valley of death.
Then after Genesis says he created man an woman it is not repeating this when it says man made woman from Adams rib, it is a wholly other creation unto itself. The creation of Eve, who unlike Lilith, would be subservient to a man.
There may be some flaws in all of this I say, but then, religion is a cloudy murky water without my help.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by PhyberDragon]



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus
 



Other Hebrew nouns are Plural as well, but appear 'singular in meaning or intent' e.g. FACE (phanim = lit. faces) or SKY (shamayim = literally heavens) or LIFE (chayim = lit. lives) or WATER (mayim = lit. waters)


reading the work of the american born Italian Nick Touches, he goes into articulate detail about why that is. They didn't just see a face or a heaven or water or things like that. They say these things as dynamic, not static. That is, for them, they held many layers, or levels, to their depths. For instance the sky. When you look at the sky you just see one sky, one whole thing. For them, the sky has much more to it, it has subletiesthat change from hue to huethey see the substance that creates the layers of the whole. If this makes any sense to anyone who could explain it better. In the books from where Genisis derives, God clearly created celestial beings and bodies first before Earth ever came into play.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by silverstreak

If one looks to ancient Sumeria, you will notice that individual kings ruled for tens of thousands and even hundreds of thousands of years. And depictions of these kings showed them to be substantially giant in comparison to their human servants:







The size thing could just be another way to show superiority over the servants. There is lots of pics in my social textbooks shoing the exact same thing in lots of different cultures.



new topics

top topics



 
26
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join