It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were the Hippies right?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
At least we had John!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So many mixed feeling about he whole "Hippy" conundrum! Let me just say that what I find MOST ironic about the whole hippy thing is that many hippies went on to become yuppies and then rose to CEO and are largely responsible for where we are today. So, in a sense, it was an EPIC FAIL!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It's already been said, there was positives and negatives.

Positives - The Green Movement, African American Rights, Peace Movements, Anti-Establishment, Exposure to other cultures & trains of thought etc.

Negatives - Just as today, the youth were corrupted with sex, drugs and music. Not to mention what happened to what happened to, JFK, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, John Lennon, RFK, Che Guevara, etc.

Both positive and negatives have left a legacy for today.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by socrates271

true..but like hey man, they had some really cool VW bugs and vans..I mean, who else could get away with those CrAzY colors and themes they put on their vehicles..woot! go you crazy hippies..er..what was the question?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The reason we are in the mess we are in is, because of the stupid Hippies... There is nothing more Pathetic then a old hippie's who think tie-dyes look good. and those stupid bandanna's. and those Gay cut off blue jeans, or daisy dukes. Hippies Radicals are running this country.
So yea, I Hate smelly hippies even more now, and I'm not being PC about it
PC which is also ruining this country, also comes from Hippies.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

Perhaps those who became fossilized in some hippy stereotype can be dismissed as culturally irrelevant in so many ways.
However the people who took the ideas of power further caused a lot of change. The BBC program "Virtual Revolution" is about the history of the Internet. Apparently the first bloggers were hippies, spearheaded by a guy from the Grateful Dead. So the Internet as an alternative space without central authority came from the hippie legacy.
The Jesus People movement formed the basis of the new evangelic movement, with its popular rock music aimed at the young.
Doubtlessly people (especially women) do have more choices regarding sexuality today. Although the "revolution" turned increasingly violent towards the 1970s (I'm not sure whether this counts with the hippies), the anti-war ideal and peaceful mass protest remains relevant today.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Yes My Hippie stereotype is a little dated, but I have a deep hatred for this subject.
I do stand by the Hippies are destroying the nation thing...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
The reason we are in the mess we are in is, because of the stupid Hippies... There is nothing more Pathetic then a old hippie's who think tie-dyes look good. and those stupid bandanna's. and those Gay cut off blue jeans, or daisy dukes. Hippies Radicals are running this country.
So yea, I Hate smelly hippies even more now, and I'm not being PC about it
PC which is also ruining this country, also comes from Hippies.

Like any cultural movement, there are those who are purists to it, those who simply wish to profit off of it, those who will go with the flow of any trend, and then those who really don’t get it all, by try to cultivate the look and a pseudo lifestyle.

Classic example would be white suburban kids who love to dress, talk, and act like they are urban blacks. If you want to blame some group for today’s (the real time present) Washington D.C. you might want to look at that group and similar hangers on, as they voted in huge numbers to put Obama in office.

A real hippie is a gypsy. Hippies aren’t Politically Correct; Hippies are free spirits who tend to shun the establishment and distrust the government, live by a simple “Code” and are loathe to tell others what to do. In fact where you will find most ‘genuine’ aged hippies these days is at nudist colonies, Ashrams, nude beaches and other communal settings.

Gypsies don’t chase or live for wealth. Neither do real hippies. They look to get by, enjoy life, contemplate the universe, expand their consciousness and tend to live closer to nature, the sun, the moon, the stars, than most other people do.

They aren’t fashion plates, nudists by the way are not about erotica but comfort, and hippies tend to dress for comfort not status or trends.

Hippies (true hippies) are genuinely and generally never a problem, they don’t believe in violent solutions but look for peaceful ones, they don’t dictate to others but simply want to be unmolested and not imposed on by society and it’s systems.

To give you an idea what a real hippie is, I once hitchhiked from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles with 10.00 in my pocket and didn’t actually know a living soul or had any work lined up, or a place to live in Los Angeles.

That’s a hippie gypsy, and that’s what being a hippie all is about.

Where did you get your definition of Hippies from? Lyndon Johnson or Richard Nixon?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Target Earth

Just out of curiosity TE..how old are you and do know any real hippies?
Most hippies never became politicians or ceos..so i was just wondering where you got you hippy info from.....go ahead....i'm waiting..

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The hippies gave us some great music and I have always appreciated their environmental stance even before it was corrupted. Some like Hilary Clinton who infiltrated the hippies went on to abuse those who want to make the environment better. The ones I hate were those that were burning flags and spitting on soldiers, they irk me. The same goes to all groups though, some people are just bad apples and looking to show out. One more thing, Code Pink can go to you know where, I have seen nothing good about them.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm a hippie entrepreneur businessman, and have made obscene amounts of money, lost count of the number of women I've made love to, played Rock and Roll stoned out of my mind, to huge crowds and enjoyed every second and still subscribe to the ideal of Peace and Love. To those that disparage my lifestyle, I don't give a ****.........I mind my own business, hurt no one, provide for my friends and live every day to it's fullest.

And before you stereotype me... I'm a vet, well armed and if you **** with me or my loved ones.... God help you!!

[edit on 2-4-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Right on Bro!
second line

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
In fact where you will find most ‘genuine’ aged hippies these days is at nudist colonies, Ashrams, nude beaches and other communal settings.

Neither do real hippies. They look to get by, enjoy life,

They aren’t fashion plates, nudists by the way are not about erotica but comfort, and hippies tend to dress for comfort not status or trends.

Hippies (true hippies) are genuinely and generally never a problem, they don’t believe in violent solutions but look for peaceful ones, they don’t dictate to others but simply want to be unmolested and not imposed on by society and it’s systems.

You got that right,
Your more likely to find old hippies at the Burning man festival then at a high class resort.

Your also likely to find old retired hippies living in a old RV at Slab City Calif and not at Palm Springs.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
In my humble opinion, no matter what the virtues or lack of them of any youth oriented, generational oriented culture movement two things are ultimately going to happen.

The first is that no real revolution has been very successful in the last few millennia (including ours here in America in 1776) because at a certain level of the World Wide Power Structure (New World Order) you have to deal with the power, and control of the International Banking Cartel and the Military Industrial Complex.

That system of internationally and privately regulated currencies, stocks and bonds and the culture of war and death and intolerance towards others who are different in any noticeably tangible way, makes their power so preeminent, that it literally does trump the power of nations.

While the hippies were protesting the Vietnam War, Rockefeller’s son was lost at sea (possibly eaten by cannibals) near Borneo searching for authentic shrunken heads for his collection, while even more tragically George Bush, Jr. later became found after stumbling around in a alcoholic and coc aine induced daze for a couple decades.

The Bankers and Merchants of Death are amazingly happy with the artificial scarcity paradigm they created and maintain to create a manageable chaos that they can rely on us to turn to them to order and make secure (relatively speaking), all the while profiting every step of the way.

At a certain point climbing up the corporate, social or political latter you encounter these oh so refined and set in their ways gentlemen who will always without fail make the ages old maxim of “Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely”, or if you like in the immortal words of the Who, who so despised hippies that they kicked (literally) Abbie Hoffman off the stage at Woodstock when it was time to perform “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

If the International Banking Cartel and Military Industrial Complex can not corrupt you and bend you to their will, they will just alternately isolate you (re: Castro/Cuba, Kim/North Korea, Assad/Syria) or murder you if need be (re: Kennedy).

Ultimately as a counter revolution movement, the hippie movement failed, because while the ‘Tune In’ concept is anathema to the International Banking Cartel and Military Industrial Complex, the ‘Drop Out’ part of the strategy left that all powerful International Shadow Government virtually unmolested to continue business as usual.

No counter culture revolution or political movement will ever succeed in fundamentally changing the world until the ENTIRE world, agrees simultaneously to do away with the International Banking Cartel and Military Industrial Complex.

Until that is done any more virtuous, peaceful or prosperous ideas or notions are always going to be defeated or corrupted piecemeal by the International Money Cartel and Military Industrial Complex in a methodic and certain way.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Please don't insult the black civil rights movement by suggesting that hippies were somehow tied to it. They contributed nothing to that at all. Nor did htey contribute to the Chicano movement. And the twits tried to make a bundle by selling indian chic thrift store crap in response to the native Americna movements.

Every time I see some snot in dredlocks wearing an "indian prays to a moon while a wolf howls and an eagle soars" T-shirt, I want to find a stick and start whacking him.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
The hippies gave us some great music and I have always appreciated their environmental stance even before it was corrupted. Some like Hilary Clinton who infiltrated the hippies went on to abuse those who want to make the environment better. The ones I hate were those that were burning flags and spitting on soldiers, they irk me. The same goes to all groups though, some people are just bad apples and looking to show out. One more thing, Code Pink can go to you know where, I have seen nothing good about them.

Most of the soldier-spitting came from the right, actually, who were pissed that the soldiers had "lost the war." This is why Vietnam Vets had to fight tooth and nail for recognition form organizations like the VFW and American Legion.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Basically - if you weren't there - you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

For one thing the political protests and the drug movement were completely separate. They just happened to coincide in time and place - - and eventually came crashing together.

The political protesting was started by college students - not drop outs.

It was a magical time I would like to see again. And - I never did drugs. It wasn't my thing.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The hippies were basically white middle class kids who "dropped out". I suppose blacks and other minorities couldn't really drop out of a sytem that never included them in the first place.
I think the original hippies were quite a small group of active, creative people. It was apparently the Scott McKenzie song "San Francisco" that attracted millions of unwanted kids into the hippie areas, and they caused a tragedy on the streets and many other problems.
The responses of minorities to the hippies were however mixed, and not wholly negative. Perhaps people forget how restricted the atmosphere was before the hippies. I don't think it was coincidence that "black power" and "red power" emerged towards the tail-end of the hippies, and wider society at least wanted to listen...
Partly it also created interest in native arts, and various native peoples also benefitted from this.
But ultimately it was an experiment in white, heterosexual dominator society.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I think the hippies got some things right and some wrong. IMO it was a false start of the so called "age of Aquarius". Hopefully we will see a new one soon, this time for real.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join