It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were the Hippies right?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
reply to post by Target Earth

Just out of curiosity TE..how old are you and do know any real hippies?
Most hippies never became politicians or ceos..so i was just wondering where you got you hippy info from.....go ahead....i'm waiting..

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

The hippie generation destroyed the American family and shamed a once great nation.

Really now, are you sure the Hippie Generation conspired to reduce the living wage, slowly transfer all lucrative blue collar union high paying labor jobs overseas, while hiding inflation in cheap substandard foreign made goods, while methodically busting up the unions. You have heard of the unions, those communist, Marxist oriented labor movements where people used collective bargaining power to ensure they be paid a living real wage.

So was it the hippies who couldn’t stand the unions, or was it the corporate oligarchs who couldn’t stand having to pay people a living wage.

Was it because the hippies couldn’t stand the freedom that having real money in your pocket and the leisure opportunities and options it buys you, or was it because the Political establishment didn’t want people having enough money in their pockets to be able to afford to do silly things like say, travel to Washington D.C. to protest a corrupt and unjust government?

My money is on the corporate oligarchs there and the political establishment that transferred all the jobs over seas beginning with U.S. Steel in the very early 70’s and then moving on to the Auto Industry, that surprise, surprise was transferred to Japan, the same place where the Steel was that is used to make cars. What a coincidence huh? Amazing that while the hippies were smoking pot, enjoying free love, and massive music festivals they managed to export the Steel and Car Industries overseas at the same time.

The truth is only the highest middle income bracket Americans could afford to keep two parents at home by the beginning of the 1980’s and the Corporate Oligarchs are still working at destroying what’s left of the Middle Class.

Just think maybe angry people like yourself could have prevented this if you only were observant enough to think intellectually and figure out who is really responsible for the things you decry.

So who destroyed the American family? Clueless people, who accept establishment provided explanations at face value, who foolishly fear people who are different than them, and are inclined to believe anything about them, in order to justify their own dysfunctional lifestyle and thinking.

Might want to look in the mirror for a culprit on who destroyed the American Family!

There is no way to spin this, although some on this thread will try their dead-level best to do it.

Doesn't seem to be stopping you from trying to spin a lot of serious problems as being the responsibility of people who in no way shape or form, actually did, or could do the things, that led to what you are lamenting.

Lamenting and do nothing about except playing the blame game by placing the blame on the wrong quarter.

Perhaps this is the true legacy of the 60's "movement." Nothing more than a feel-good ideology and that morphed into moral relativism and a wholesale cultural pathology that allows justification, rationalization and intellectualization of anything.

Some would say your comments are nothing but feel-good ideology aimed at making you feel better with simple, nonsensical and illogical explanations of historical, social, economic and geopolitical events you seem to have hardly no grasp of at all.

So that is exactly what you are doing, justifying your own acceptance of these tragic and unfortunate events dealing with the decline of America while living in wholesale denial that it was the Corporate Titans and a corrupt Political Establishment and its highest levels that began contriving to do these things, beginning with the Federal Reserve act in 1911, decades upon decades before the Hippies even showed up on the scene.

While yes its an attempt to rationalize what you clearly don't understand its not actually rooted intellectually in anything but base prejudice, paranoia and wholesale slander.

Sending the wrong suspect to jail doesn't actually punish who is truly responsible for a crime, and it certainly doesn't prevent the actual criminal from still getting away with more crimes, which is why the American Treasury is being looted right under your nose by the International Banking Cartel and the Constitution being turned into toilet paper by the Military Industrial Complex fighting the phony war on Terror.

Please don't quit your day job to become a detective!

We see through your lies and propaganda, hippies. We pity you and despise everything that you have ever stood for.

Actually this kind of sounds like the work of a schill for the very corporations and corrupt government that has in fact conspired to do, and has done all the things you are complaining about...

So right back at you there!

[edit on 4/4/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Here's a few old friends of mine, the add ons bring you far down the Irish influence in Rock an Blues!
www.eddeane.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

i agree dc,

and your friends are great!

[edit on 4-4-2010 by fooks]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Hey, you are correct, they did have other options, which is why the movement was short-lived. But they chose to drop out. Sure, civil rights had a big influence on everything, including the hippies.
As for art - opinions will differ, there are negative and positive sides to the popularity of such genres. In some states lisences were issued that you had to be one eighth Indian to sell Native American art. I hear you but there are books on Native American testimony (don't have them with me at present unfortunately) which really speak of people moving from grinding poverty into galleries, and artisctic careers. I cannot discount that either.

Most of the hippies were in any case weekenders who simply wanted to shock their parents. Others went on a bit of an acid psychosis. Ultimately it may simply have been a CIA experiment with '___' that went slightly out of control. There is testimony that around 1969 the cops raided all the pot and '___' dealers in the "Haight", and the following day there were only heroin dealers. Don't know if it's true, but the 1970s saw a major Heroin epeidemic.
Unfortunately a counter-culture cannot be everything to all other cultures, and political correctness wasn't quite invented yet.

PS. Ultimately the hippies were commercialized to the point where even soup cans had psychedelic colours and peace signs. Some say they were killed by their own marketable image.
Today when discussing indigenous art forms it is do or starve, that's the tough economic reality. Even wildlife in Africa will not survive unless it pays the local communities some benefits via tourism or game-hunting. Animal activists may find it tasteless, but big-game hunting is saving species from the brink of extinction, and it's turned masses of land into a wildlife paradise. The same goes for culture. In SA the dancing and art for tourists is keeping people afloat, but yet, the tribal peoples have invented a dual culture - one set of dances for tourists and one that they perform for their own benefit.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Agreed, the video and that comercialization was dreadful. I have a feeling though that it had more 1950s influences and John Wayne type Western stereotypes. I think real hippies might well have laughed at this or found it disgusting.
The hippies faced soldiers and put flowers in their guns in a "dadaist" mentality of surrealism. So there was a harking back to previous white counter-cultures. The pacifism by the "hippies proper" was quite close to ideals set by the pacifist core of the civil rights movement.
"Black power" and "red power" was already beyond the hippie philosophy. The Black Panthers or AIM were not beyond violence. They were part of a wider stream that regarded US revolutionary movements as local expressions of wider, global revolutions. OK, I also realize that they were forced to become armed because of the violent reaction they received from the vast right-wing establishment. But they were way beyond civil rights and the constraints of pacifism.

Now here's a bizarre moment - Marlon Brando received an Oscar in the early 1970s and he hired a "Native American" woman (who turned out not to be "Indian" at all) to collect his trophy on stage, as a protest against the portrayal of Indians in Hollywood Western movies. I wonder if there is more info or footage on that incident.

I've recently read a book called "Drop City" (Boyle, 2003). It's about a group of hippies in a commune in the US who are forced to move to Alaska. Here they encounter the real frontier men and Indians, with intersting results. Highly recommended.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

But at the time it seems people were also capitalizing on their heritage in ways that would be considered racist today:
www.redmoonrecords.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I know this is an American site but the Hippie movement was huge in Europe! especialy England! still is....

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

It pretty much was a global phenomenon. It's difficult to define "hippy" ouside the core movement along the US West Coast from the "Summer of Love" to "Woodstock". Although Europe has some long standing communes of artists and bohemians, the label has been apllied to everything from long-haired art-rock types, violent revolutionaries, 1990s' New Age travellers, trance music fans, and an assortment of environmentalists and anti-globalization campaigners. The hippy trails across Europe and Asia probably made the movement post-modern in its hotch potch of cultural mixures. In central Europe the movement seemed to be more politicized and violent from the start, with the 1968 student uprisings in France, and the slogan: "We will fight, we will win. London, Paris, Rome Berlin". I suppose in that sense the hippie influence was huge in fashion and certain concepts and sensibilities that were mixed into some very un-hippy-like philosophies. The millionaire rock stars that led the movement were hardly true "hippie" drop-outs, a hypocrisy noted by the later Punk movement. In France or Germany the music remained more folk centered and less rock-star focused than the US or UK, with a much greater influence of students and radical left-wing intellectuals (a tendency that would filter back into the US in the 1970s).
But the arguments of cultural integration vs cultural blasphemy followed the movemnt where-ever it went. Whether debates concerning Native America, or shocked elements in conservative India, to many in the cultures that the hippies partially adopted the issue of cultural theft and a corrupting influence on the local youth by travellers remained relevant. Some countries like Greece or Malawi even banned male visitors with long hair for certain periods.
In South Africa the movement centered around travellers who organized major music festivals like Rustler's Valley, and there was a degree of integration with black philosophies like Rastafarianism. Perhaps the whole paradox around the label and imagery from being an insult to being a term of self-definition, just shows how wide-reaching and enduring the the "hippy" influence really was.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
In 1968 it was an amazing year! I was 18 at the time,, I just started Art collage an the next thing I know the collage is been taking over by the students, the Anti War movement an the Beatles an friends hang out in India! then the Woodstock and Isle of White experience, plus the Straights supposedly went to the Moon
it was all happning!

[edit on 11-4-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Star Trek: The Space Hippies. A must see from the classic late 1960s episode!

www.youtube.com...#

[edit on 11-4-2010 by halfoldman]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join