It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMPORTANT Alert: All iPhone Users

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Coming from ya it ain't bad at all as ya' tryin' to make it soun'...as a great historian once said "Obvious Troll is Obvious" . By the way u know someone who uses iPhone? Geez!! I hope not.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
By the way u know someone who uses iPhone?

Would a 'Your mum' joke be inappropriate here?

I don't think you should title posts with 'IMPORTANT Alert: All iPhone Users' and then produce nothing short of Scotch mist.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Not at all bring it on...I got a pile of them
..It's alwayz lulzy to hear a troll.

The thread was to discuss about how iPhone companies are leeching public privacy but troll trolling thread wanna troll troll about troll iPhone models..well I got all the place in a thread for trolls called "The Ultimate Derailing Thread".

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian

I dont own a iPhone so my knowledge is extremely limited however a google search for iPhone flip model showed me this

Maybe it's some such model..no idea.

Uh, I guess I, too, could be wrong. But never heard of an "iPhone flip model." Not sure there is such a thing. Where do you typically get your information?

Looks like a dodgy Chinese imitation of a fake flip phone, just stick an apple logo on the back.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

The thread was to discuss about how iPhone companies are leeching public privacy...

I'm pretty sure this thread was about a baseless and ill-informed claim relating to an entity datamining photos, names and messages through the use of iPhone even while 1 of the photos in question was clearly taken by a clamshell phone which Apple (The company which makes iPhones) has never made which in turn makes all of the claims made in the OP dubious as whilst looking for consistency the intrepid investigator was left wanting.

But sure lawl!!1! obvious clandestine conspiracists of the world unite and spread that bovine excrement!

-m0r

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaleshchand
The safest way to send sensitive information is through encrypted email. Not the email provider encrypting it, but you the sender encrypting it before hitting send. You can (and should) even encrypt any attachments. Also digitally sign the email so the receiver can be sure that you have sent it.
No one can decrypt an encrypted email except the intended recipient.

To encrypt your email you will need to exchange public keys with those you send emails to. This is very simple to do. You can get your certificates from www.startssl.com... for free. I may add details of getting the certs, installing and so onlater when I have time.

Thanx for the info man, it's really helpful. There are also many free encryption services which don't really work and instead install spyware. It's always safe to scan a file before downloading it. Also I have been hearing the web tools which facilitate easy texting of messages from mobiles etc. are kind of bad idea. As they are always scanning the page you are on in the background. The Google Chrome imo. is the worst of all.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The photos in the OP aren't iPhones, there's no technical description of what's involved in the process, no naming of applications, and the OP clearly doesn't understand the content of the allegations.

Hoax.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Mom?!

I feel dirty.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Doesn't have to be an iPhone.
Anytime you send anything to anyone and call anyone, The information has to be stored. It just can't go from one Phone to Another. What if the message, be it Photo, Text Message or Email, doesn't make it to your phone? you could be out of Range, Have a flat Battery or have your phone turned off. All of this has to be stored in order to send it to you when your phone can accept it. I've noticed with my Phone that it won't accept anything when the Memory is full. I'd hate to think I missed a Message or photo because I hadn't deleted anything.

Everyone should be aware that this is just the Norm.

I think you'll also find that the information that's stored on the Servers of the Phone Companies that store all this data, get's deleted from time to time. The Computers couldn't just keep storing this data forever. It would be pretty expensive not to mention the amount of space all this data takes up.

It not only Phones that are subject to this, All your Emails and other habits are also stored by the Company that supply's your Internet Connection. If you have a gmail account you will find all your Emails are stored on their Server even after you download it to your Computer.

So, is any of this new? Nope. Companies know how Valuable all this Data is to Marketing companies, Government Agencies and the Law Enforcement People.

You might even find some clause in your Contract that states what they do with any Data they keep. They might state how long they keep your data for and what they may do with it.

Of course, they also keep your Data in case of any disputes with your accounts.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Damian-007]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Without any source the pictures in question could have been gotten by any means. The fact that at least 1 of the phones used is not an iphone should be a good indication that the OP is either trolling for points or at best being very naive.

The fact the OP won't post the picture unedited also is a bit dubious as I'm sure we could probably find the pictures by searching through google or the like.

I call HOAX on this one.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
the information is this:

a app (Quiptxt.com) that lets you send pictures directly to some people doesnt to it privately, instead, it uploads to a website generating a random 4 digit code, without any type of encryption and sends to another person

so, a few people started creating scripts to generate the pages so they could access the information ; but the website was already taken down by the owners, but we can find online a lot of content that some people downloaded already, so ... yeah, you can buy an iphone, you just need to be careful what app you buy;

UPDATE:
website with images its down, but images are still available since they were hosted into a cloud from amazon; lol they are screwed;

SOURCE

www.reddit.com...

for some people that dont understand, the software that did this was a PAID software available to iphone that could be avaliable to any other cell, I dont know about that, but it could, it doesnt have anything to do with any iphone tech, it was just a programming mistake; they did no security to their software and risked their customers;

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

reply to post by vox2442

you clearly did not do any type of research, the pics are pics from pics avaliable into a website;

not a hoax, the company that did the application that was 2 $ took down the website;

message from founder
Hello, this is Ish, the founder of Addy Mobile, makers of the Quip app.

As soon as this post came to our attention, we immediately shut down our servers. We have also now disabled all S3 access and have started to systematically secure all files in the system. We will not bring the system back up until we have adequate security around all files shared over Quip.

I apologize to our users for this security breach and promise we will do everything in our power to make sure none of their information is exposed once we bring the service back up.

The vision for Quip has always been to provide users a quick, simple, and affordable way for iPhone users to send picture messages without paying exorbitant carrier fees. We are a small company (3 people) but we will work as quickly as possible to bring back the service up in a safe and secure manner.

-Ish

//

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Okay to get things kinda sorta back on track with the info stored and could later be used thought..

I do know for a fact that Sprint used (and they still might) to store photos taken from your phone and sent. You could access them from your online account.

So if you wanna send naughty pics, make sure that 1) your Cell phone company does not do this. Anyone with access to your online account can see them.

And of course they store info, some companies let you see your texts online too. Any info sent from one phone to another is stored out there somewhere. Just like stuff on your computer. Even if you delete it, it is there on your computer until the space is reused. Or you reformat the hard drive.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
man, they are a company of 3 people, thats why its risk to buy software without knowing if they have some kind of secure system in this apple store or whatever

some guys without any proper computer knowledge made this application and sold it on apple store, now a lot of people are in danger; its not like they were hacked, they simply didnt use any type of security in their software, its SHAMEFUL;

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
all communications have to go from one server to another.
so yeah, all your data could be stored on some server somewhere.
now wether someone is looking at the petabytes of data that are flying around the net on a daily basis. that's a different story.

on average i wouldn't worry too much about it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Thanx for that I did not wanted to share the name of application myself since the breach was open then. There are few more applications targeted all used in iPhone. The other companies are not aware of it, I wont name them either. The information I received from the anonymous source, it just took 3-4 hours of programming to access the stored data. I have screenshots of Facebook and myspace pages where several people are getting in touch with iPhone users tracked through pictures and their name.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
It has to do with iPhones as the application quip was specially used in Apple iPhones. Looks like this made news today in Australia. The have not revealed the truth as it's not thousands but over 6 million pictures

Quip app security hole shares private photos

* iPhone app had serious security hole
* Thousands of intimate photos leaked
* More: Technology news and reviews

THOUSANDS of intimate photos sent between iPhone users have been made public after an embarrassing security flaw.

The Quip app promised to let people send pictures to each other for free — like sending a multimedia message but without any fees.

What it didn't say was that anyone with a few web skills could see them as well.

Quip stored the private images on a publicly accessible web server without any encryption, making them easy prey for savvy internet users.

Now some of the most intimate moments of thousands of people are being circulated on web forums.

Many photos show people posing nude or having sex. Others show a day at the baseball or baby shots.

One image shows a man naked from the waist up and seemingly covered in cuts and blood. Another seems to have been taken inside the White House.

Some internet users have also allegedly matched up nude photos with real names and Facebook profiles.

On one web forum, a user identifying as one of the makers of the Quip app said the system had been shut down.

"Hello, this is Ish, the founder of Addy Mobile, makers of the Quip app," said "ish_addy" on Reddit.

"As soon as this post came to our attention, we immediately shut down our servers. We have also now disabled all S3 access and have started to systematically secure all files in the system.

"We will not bring the system back up until we have adequate security around all files shared over Quip."

However many of the photos, saved by people before the servers were shut down, are still being circulated.

I hope the disbelievers will see now it was not hoax or anything since it has been mentioned in MSM now lol. Well atleast on ATS where this was said with raw information first was met by with scorn and ridicule not only by ignorant users but also by Mod and moved to skunkworks. This is wht happens in real world also , real conspiracy has no place.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
Doesn't have to be an iPhone.
Anytime you send anything to anyone and call anyone, The information has to be stored. It just can't go from one Phone to Another...

This is what I was going to say.

I could be wrong, but it seems obvious to me that if I send a message or picture over the cellular system, that message or picture must be stored somewhere in the cellular system's computers (at least temporarily -- for how long, I don't know).

When a message/picture is sent, it goes to the nearest cell tower, then along various other cell towers until it gets to a switching station, where the message is then re-routed along cell towers to the recipient's phone. That switching station is where I think the picture/message gets temporarily stored. This happens even if I'm sending a picture using a cell phone in my right hand to another cell phone in my left hand.

I'm sure a good hacker could find those pictures/messages on the cellular system's computers.

Does anyone know if those pictures/messages are temporarily stored, and if so, for how long?

[edit on 3/30/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Okay.
The iphone i have (and many others have) does not send picture messages. You take a picture on your phone and it gets sent via email. When people send you a picture message it gets stored online, you are given a message number and a password. So the phones are no more secure than your email and or computer.

So if you sent a dirty pic to an iphone user it is stored online, as a matter of fact all text messages and pictures get storred in some computer somewhere. Do you really think cell phones work like radios and you get a direct connection to who you are talking to?
So yes it is possible for "big brother" to watch and record everything you do on your cell phone all the time but is it practical? Hell no.
Even if you had a ratio of one "big brother agent" to every cell phone user they still would not be able to keep up with monitoring everyone. Just because something can be done does not mean it is being done.
All your u2us and your email address is kept in a database here at ATS. That does not mean the mods here are monitoring our messages and trying to hack our email accounts.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think this article is about what this thread discusses.

www.ihackintosh.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join