It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest high-fructose corn syrup study generates buzz, debate

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
if my dog wont touch it, it cant be good. (soda)

In that case, you should eat what your dog eats.... and smells... and licks.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Why don't one of you mind-brains go buy a couple hundred cases of corn-syrup mountain dew and throwback sugar mountain dew and get to testing?

Pretty simple, trust your own judgment and stop eating and drinking these products!

Why would you or anyone depend on someone (especially our government) else to pass judgment?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

Why don't one of you mind-brains go buy a couple hundred cases of corn-syrup mountain dew and throwback sugar mountain dew and get to testing?

Pretty simple, trust your own judgment and stop eating and drinking these products!

Why would you or anyone depend on someone (especially our government) else to pass judgment?

Question everything... even your own judgment, that's why.

Unless you are an all knowing god, of course.

Most people who realize this do things called EXPERIMENTS. THEY OBSERVE THINGS AND COME TO CONCLUSIONS BASED ON EVIDENCE.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Most people who realize this do things called EXPERIMENTS. THEY OBSERVE THINGS AND COME TO CONCLUSIONS BASED ON EVIDENCE.

How many times do these experiments need to be repeated for you before you believe?

How the feds make bad-for-you food cheaper than healthful fare

And many more.

Heal yourself! Read, become educated and listen to your own body and you will do well!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

How many times do these experiments need to be repeated for you before you believe?

How the feds make bad-for-you food cheaper than healthful fare

And many more.

Heal yourself! Read, become educated and listen to your own body and you will do well!

"How the feds make bad-for-you food cheaper than healthful fare"

That's a weird experiment in that fact that it's not an experiment at all, certainly I see similar titles in all the scientific journals.

Are you just giving me random google links to back up your opinion, because that's what it looks like.

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll soon say all the evidence is at "google.com" right?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

So, out of curiosity...what else should she do? If you want supporting evidence, she will need to locate it and post it. So why ridicule her for doing just that?

Obvious troll is obvious.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
the first sentence you wrote is the exact response i have to the commercial i posted. how can you control your intake of something that is IN EVERYTHING.

I'm not sure what you mean it's in everything? I eat meats, vegetables, potatoes, fruits etc and it's not in any of those, right?

I did previously drink more sodas but I only do that rarely now, I'll have a few a month in the summer. About the only place other than that I see HFCS in my diet is the pancakes I like to have about twice a month, because the syrup I use is based on HFCS. Real maple syrup might be better but that stuff is so expensive, I just take my chances with HFCS, I don't think a couple of servings a month will be a problem.

But I do see a lot of people consuming a lot of sodas and that's not good for them. Sodas are also bad for your teeth, not the HFCS, but the carbonic acid dissolves the enamel. And Aspartame is no better than HFCS so it's better to just cut way back on soda consumption or eliminate it altogether.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Corn is our worlds current Soilent Green.
Corn Syrup is in almost all processed foods, cornstarch is in many foods and even many industrial products, Corn oil is our most commonly used oil. Also remember if you eat meat that the fodder used to feed cattle in winter pasture as well as in fattening yards is largely derived from corn. Chickens are also fed it as the base of their diet, and then we have ethanol to think of nowadays, mostly made from corn. The real problem is the way this corn is grown. Whole states are taken over with geneticaly modified sterile roundup ready product. It is devastating to local ecologies creating imbalances everywhere. Worst of all of its uses though has to be corn syrup. Personally I don't eat sugar of any kind (except alcohol), but to each their own of course. Many studies have proven that the main factor causing morbid obesity in america is liquid sugars. Soda and such. Almost completely made with corn syrup. Their is no doubt that if corn syrup is taken from a persons diet they will live a healthier life.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrodancer

You're talking about corn syrup and corn as if they are almost synonymous. I don't think corn is nearly as unhealthy as corn syrup.

But it depends on what you season it with, people eating corn on the cob with lots of butter will get more artery-clogging fat from the butter and the fructose content may be a secondary risk.

I don't think plain old corn is so bad though unless you want to post some reliable links to the contrary.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Yeah -- meat is corn fed. French fries are cooked in corn oil. Corn syrup is in almost all processed foods. Dairy cows are fed corn. Poultry is fed corn for eggs. There's no escape.

You better watch King Corn.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I don't think plain old corn is so bad though unless you want to post some reliable links to the contrary.

Exactly.

It is nearly impossible to argue that corn eaten in its basic unaltered form is any better or worse than say rice, barley, wheat, casava, potatoes, or any other cereal, etc. source of carbohydrates.

Corn actually has some advantages over other cereals nutrition wise.

Nutritional value of Corn vs Rice

Nutrition Facts and Information about Corn: Corn is rich in phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, iron and selenium. It also has small amounts of potassium.
Vitamin Content: Corn has Vitamin B (Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folate). It has traces of Vitamin A and Vitamin E.
Calorie Content of Corn: Cereals are the prime source of calories for many people. The calorific value of most cereals lies between 330 to 350 calories per 100 gm, the calorific value of corn being 342 calories per 100 gm.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join