It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photoshop's Upcoming Content-Aware Fill Feature Looks Like Magic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers

They can take you out of the photo, insert you into an image of something else, perhaps a murder scene.

Now removing your ex from that terrific picture of you is as easy as pie ...

... also NASA.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
As a photographer with absolutely no photoshop skill, up until now i've always been a fan of photos that don't go through post-production, simply because I can't do it, and sometimes they just look too fake. The reason I never really got into the graphic editing of my photos was because learning the extremely complex photoshopping takes time and an artistic ability. I don't have the time to do that with my overloading college schedule and social life, but with his new feature I think it would be absolutely incredible to have just to touch up some photos. I probably wouldn't do anything too advanced with it, but I can definitely see myself removing pieces of trash or rocks and lens flare with it.

Absolutely awesome feature. Love it. S+F!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well, That's some nifty technology.

Imagine all the uses:

Fake UFO Photo's.
Fake Bigfoot Photo's.
Fake Loch-Ness Monster Photo's.
Fake Time Traveller in 1940's Photo.
And My Favourite: Fake Phobo's Space Station Photo's..

Woo Hoo. It's going to be a fun App..

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That is just mind blowing... I'm at a loss for words. How well will this stand up to scrutiny though? I'm thinking that it can't be completely seamless, and there must be a way to forensically detect it?

If not, we're in for a hellavu ride. Everything from fake UFO's, landscapes, etc.

Job well done Photoshop guys

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
didn't want to make a separate topic about this one, i think its somewhat similar to the software discussed in the OP.

Take on a camera phone, the video was then cleaned up using these Super Resolution techniques to result in the following:

Enhance

PS: isn't it too early for an april fools' joke? hmmnn

[edit on 3.24.10 by toreishi]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I wonder if this can calculate and remove clothing..........................

Uh nevermind !!

I'm pretty sure it could, but no nippie and belly button.

Originally posted by Damian-007
Well, That's some nifty technology.

Imagine all the uses:

Fake UFO Photo's.
Fake Bigfoot Photo's.
Fake Loch-Ness Monster Photo's.
Fake Time Traveller in 1940's Photo.
And My Favourite: Fake Phobo's Space Station Photo's..

Woo Hoo. It's going to be a fun App..

Every photo and video will be suspected and heavily scrutinized, since now it has become so easy to manipulate them.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A question for those who use PS ...

When tools such as these are use to manipulate an image do they leave something of a digital trace behind?

I guess what I am asking is, if an expert was presented with the image after it's been altered in this fashion, would they be able to tell by analyzing it?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I knew I'd seen this technology somewhere before!!!

Here it is at around 2:00 in to the video. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by dampnickers

They can take you out of the photo, insert you into an image of something else, perhaps a murder scene.

Now removing your ex from that terrific picture of you is as easy as pie ...

... also NASA.

Nah. I like that picture with my ex, and so does she...
he he he.

I'm saying nothing more.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
P/S was beyond my my wallet, some 6 years ago...

whats this deal set one back ?

?1/4 of Ft Knox?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

In regards to this specific content-aware fill technology, it's too early to tell. From the demo video, it looks so seamless the way it just filled in all missing parts, especially with the desert road and panorama landscape. Once it comes out and we can take a look and play with it, we may notice that subtle color tones are off or little debris fragments are everywhere else in the picture except in a certain area.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Wow, this is absolutely amazing. It looks like a great time saver, I can't wait for this! I just took loads of photos for my quad bike site, and it took me hours to remove all the artifacts, this will just be an incredible advancement.

Now, Adobe, just create a "click and select" option so I don't have to go around objects with the bloody pen tool for hours!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

The student edition is around $200 and other editions can go up to $500 or more.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicodeme
reply to post by St Udio

The student edition is around $200 and other editions can go up to $500 or more.

I'm happy at the idea that it sometimes costs a few million to develop and test the software in the first place, but considering that they will sell hundreds of thousands of copies of this software, it seems very excessive to charge so much for the stuff.

Perhaps that's why the owners of software companies like Bill Gates, etc. get to run around in any one of twenty cars, and act like they own the planet... oh, wait, they just bought it.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

Adobe has a complete monopoly on the graphics editing market and has had for nearly a decade. It's one of those "Only store in town" situations, in regards to pricing

Sure, you could use the GIMP or something, but they are years behind in terms of usability.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicodeme

Thanks for the response.

A thought crept into my little brain ... the internet being a mostly visual medium, with the advent of such technologies within easy reach to the layperson, the emerging mantra will inevitably become: 'pictures because it din't happen.'

Unless such technology is easily verifiable, photo and video journalism will be relegated to an endless and mostly pointless fake/not fake conversation.

Though I am quite the opposite of a technophobe, the implications of such technology within reach to all makes me somewhat apprehensive ... perhaps it is my lack of understanding that is seeding this fear. At least I hope so, for although image manipulation is nothing new, I'd like to be able to trust my eyes a few times a day ... something that will become all but impossible if this becomes common technology.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
!!!!!!!!
uhh..

i want it.

If Adobe is just coming up with this now, imagine what the government has! Ha, yeah right, they've got some pretty editing jobs. But it woudln't surprise me if they could just remove aliens from pictures or something, haha... how aware is this new technology? Maybe it will erase the background and show the other aliens hiding there.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Believe it or not this tech has been around publicly for a while - you can even use similar in open-source....

Gimp Plugin

Example

history of in-painting
History of clever seam-aware

Of course, in PS it makes things a heck of a lot easier now - but it’s not new, just slick!

P.S. - I love it.

Voila

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Now THAT is amazing technology.

Cant wait. And yeah i wonder if it can remve clothing -P

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
great tech .. nothing to fear .. caret etc etc ..

no one takes any image that is run through photoshop seriously when trying to provide evidence for ' insert conspiracy here'

Has to be the raw image ..

fantastic editing feature though

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join