It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ann Coulter speech cancelled after thousands protest

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon

Free speech is dead, and getting deader.

You see what you just said is BS, right? You just expressed yourself on the most free entity man has ever created; the world wide web!!
There are sites where you can be as politicaly incorrect and profane as you like. ATS isn't one of them; thank God!

How many people do you think read your post?

Free speech is dead?......
.....you want cheese with that
...see!

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense!

[edit on 24-3-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

It seems that free speech is used by some in a frenzy of hatred for another culture, religion, or ethnic background.
The worst sin of all is an evil tongue.
Use your free speech with respect and the truth will be heard..look around you and you will see you all came from somewhere else.

With the greatest respect to yourself and your opinion, i have a great disgust at the mess man has made of OUR world.
The human race has turned into a pack of mindless baboons, beating their chest and charging each other.

Each one must choose their own path..we are travelling together, let it not be towards destruction.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jean59

yes, a lot of people use "free speech" to justify their hateful views and hateful tone. its sad that people cannot just accept each other for who they are and stop being so negative all the time.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Those poor angry people in Ottawa don't realize how hilariously Ann Coulter comes across. I thoroughly enjoy experiencing her pie hole flap 'cause i end up bellylaughing. So, the protesters quashed free speech with their right to protest but deprived so many of a good laugh.

THAT'S unfair!!

Jason

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
PLEEEEEEASE protesters! Don't scare Rush Limbaugh away or I'll have to get my giggles outta Jack Leighton!! (NDP leader for you non-canuckleheads)

Jason

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I would hazard a guess that the people protesting about Coulters "free speech" are also those who come out with phrases like;

"America, love it or leave it"

and

"they don't have a right to come here and practice their religion and shove it in my face"

And yet people criticising America, or promoting their religion are exercising their free speech.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

But this isn't about free speech. Its about respect. Coulter was asked to respect the Canadian way, and tone down her rhetoric, and instead she refused and ran off to the press bleating about free speech, whilst someone cancelled her appearance because they didn't have the power of their convictions to let this self-proclaimed proponent of "free speech" speak and win over the audience with her words - probably because they knew that she'd offend someone and cause an incident.

There are many ways people can express themselves and the best speakers in the world can do so without the need to cause offence.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I don't like Ann at all but I think it is a terrible decision to silence her. I am an american and I believe that anyone has the right to say whatever they want no matter how stupid or hateful it comes across. If you are going to beat someone do it in a face to face debate - which they could have done at the speech. Stopping someone from speaking through intimidation because you don't like what they might say is pretty dangerous ground to tread on. Who decides what is hate? What's next? Can't speak out against an unjust law? can't speak out against a leader or government? All the canadian university did was provide her with a larger platform to speak from. They didn't silence her at all. They got played. Getting canceled because of violent and general stupidity was the best thing that could have happened for her.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by zerotime]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
All the canadian university did was provide her with a larger platform to speak from. They didn't silence her at all. They got played. Getting canceled because of violent and general stupidity was the best thing that could have happened for her.

How does this relate to the Teabaggers...for whom she is certainly a poster child? Far be it for them to shut down a forum, eh?

self edit to add...

Extra Security For Members Of Congress After Activist, Tea Party Threats

House Democrats are expressing concerns about their personal safety following protests over health care legislation. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said Wednesday that officials from the FBI and Capitol Police briefed Democrats on how to handle perceived security threats. Hoyer said at least 10 lawmakers who feel that they are at risk of harm are getting attention from the proper authorities. Hoyer said some posters depict a lawmaker's face in the crosshairs of a target. Protests swirled around the Capitol during debate on the health care bill last weekend. Protesters hurled racial slurs at several black lawmakers and one protester spat at one black lawmaker. www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 24-3-2010 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
For those wondering exactly who invited Ms Coulter to speak it was arranged by the International Free Press Society. Their website should make most everything clear.

I would make a wild assumption that the people within that organization responsible for the tour were Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn. Steyn has the ability to raise my blood pressure, but I must admit to occassionally enjoying his work. Levant, on the other hand, will screw everyone over including his Conservative pals. He's the one who refused to give up his riding to Harper oh-so-many years ago.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Good job Canada! I knew there was a reason to like you guys.

There's not a whole lot that Ann Coulter could actually bring to Canada except fearmongering hate speech from FOX news.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm not sure why she's wasting any of her time on Canadians in the first place. Our own country has problems and we need to polarize ourselves and focus on getting the thugs currently in office out of office.

Yes, I know you Canadians think you know his the U.S. should be run, but you don't. So dave it.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Yes, I know you Canadians think you know his the U.S. should be run, but you don't. So dave it.

Say what?
Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join