It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ann Coulter speech cancelled after thousands protest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

OTTAWA—Security officials have scrubbed American right-winger Ann Coulter’s speech at the University of Ottawa after a boisterous protest prompted concerns for her safety.

A spokesman for the group that organized the event said there were fears for Coulter’s well-being after about two thousand people gathered outside the venue to protest her presence there.

Coulter is a darling of the U.S. right-wing who uses incendiary language to sell millions of books as well as her syndicated column.

She sparked more controversy during a speech at University of Western Ontario Monday night when she told a 17-year-old Muslim student to “take a camel” instead of a the flying carpet she has previously suggested Muslims use for transportation.

Even before her Canadian tour began, Coulter received a pre-emptive and private caution about the limits of free speech in this country from the provost of the University of Ottawa.

The letter was immediately leaked to select conservative news organizations, with Coulter telling one that the university was “threatening to criminally prosecute me for my speech.”

Hahaha...I knew she was in town, but I actually didn't see this coming.

Ann Coulter speech cancelled after thousands protest

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Ahh yet another reason to be proud of the country we live in

Although I was kind of hoping she would make her speech and be arrested and prosecuted for hate speech, too bad.

Vive le Canada!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Anne Coulter is a visonairy who speaks truth to power!

also as a BESTSELLING writer she has broken the mold with her revolutionary writing style that has created a perfect storm for the democratic party.

This is just PROOF that Canadians hate FREEDOM! They denied Anne COulter an AMERICAN the right so speak!!! Lets hope their communist ways dont reach us and that the white light of liberty can protect us!

[edit on 23-3-2010 by tigpoppa]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

You're being sarcastic right?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I applaud the people at the University of Ottawa for their good sense and taste in people. I also applaud Canada for have sensible policies regarding hate speech against particular groups and the incitement of violence.

third line - hahahahaha.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Whether it is the US or Canada, the best place for intolerance is on a college campus.

Amazing.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
As annoying as I find her, I wish this hadn't happened and she had been able to speak. All it's going to do is give her something else to rant about.

Better to let her speak her piece and people can figure her out on their own.

It was silly to even send her that letter in the first place, there's no way she could spew enough hate in 2 speeches to get her arrested. The courts aren't going to waste their time on that. It might be different if she lived and worked here, but she doesn't.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Duzey]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

Ann Coulter is the perfect spokes person for the Right Wing Conservatives...www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ignorance at it's finest.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Regardless of the person, words don't can't do anything to people, only actions.

They really got it against our women up there. 1st Palin, now this. Oh, I know, hush anon72-our cow isn't getting gored, yet.....

What's next, can't think unpopular thoughts? 1984 baby....

PS: Drudge has a lot of other links and related stories up now.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Good point. This will definitely give her something to rant about when she gets back to the states.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by kommunist]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
To Canadians free speech means that if hey agree with it is free and if it could cause anger or if the TPTB disagree with it is now against the law. And the population feeds on it and uses it to stifle free speech.

I don't agree with her but I do think she should have a voice. Were do you draw the line and who draws it. Free speech should be free no matter who it offends. Canadians are really starting to show there true colors and I for one don't like what I see. Progressives I guess have won in Canada hopefully we can stop the spread in America before we are on our knees like them.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
My homage to Ann.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Interesting how when an opinionated moderator comes on a thread people in the opposition loose stars. How did that happen, moderator? I did not know I could be un-starred...I'm not saying you did it, I'm just curious as to how that happens since as an experiment I tried to un-star someone myself and it doesn't work.
What up people? What's going on with this thread?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Canadians are really starting to show there true colors and I for one don't like what I see. Progressives I guess have won in Canada hopefully we can stop the spread in America before we are on our knees like them.

Progressives have won in Canada ????

Does Glenn Beck tell you which socks to wear also?

Really bud, don't worry about Canadian's on their knees.

Take a look inside your own border's.

Your doing a reach around , grabbing your cheeks, and liking it.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

To Canadians free speech means that if hey agree with it is free and if it could cause anger or if the TPTB disagree with it is now against the law. And the population feeds on it and uses it to stifle free speech.

I don't agree with her but I do think she should have a voice. Were do you draw the line and who draws it. Free speech should be free no matter who it offends. Canadians are really starting to show there true colors and I for one don't like what I see. Progressives I guess have won in Canada hopefully we can stop the spread in America before we are on our knees like them.

Why do you think thousands of people protested? Were they paid by the Canadian government or were they secret operatives of the mounties? lol
We have laws against hate speech because the vast majority of Canadians like it that way, if we didn't, no one would have shown up and she just would have been arrested.

You're free to have a voice in Canada, as long as it's not hateful, and there is a line, go find the exact laws if you like and they lay out what hate speech consists of.

I hate to break it to you, but Canadians pride themselves on being a progressive people, we're proud of our progressive values. No ones on their knees here that's for sure!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Regardless, stifling opposing viewpoints does little to inform or encourage critical thinking. This sets a much more dangerous precedent than anything Coulter could have said...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Um....

Ann Coulter wasn't prevented from giving her presentation based on free speech issues.

OTTAWA—Security officials have scrubbed American right-winger Ann Coulter’s speech at the University of Ottawa after a boisterous protest prompted concerns for her safety

From the OP's source.

Obviously, free speech is very much alive and well in Canada. So much that a rather large group of concerned Canadians was allowed to gather in protest.

Coulter was simply prevented from speaking because there were safety concerns. Not because the Canadian government was somehow trying to 'silence' her.

I applaud Canada, I wish we were (generally) smart enough to stand up to this woman and her hate-speech here in the US.

It's a shame that so many people actually listen to her, to the point where she is practically a political celebrity.

If the citizens of the United States had half the sense that Canadians have, Coulter would be resigned to giving soapbox speeches in dirty NYC subway stations.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

I'm just a member with an opinion in this thread and I can't 'unstar' anything.

If you'd care to continue to accuse me of malfeasance, please do so via the complaint feature.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Whether it is the US or Canada, the best place for intolerance is on a college campus.

Amazing.

Or a Tea Party gathering. I covered a TPM rally for our local cable channel as a cameraman and you should have heard the names my black soundman was called. And we were sympathetic to the TPM; Not a great way to win converts.

Amazing indeed!

[edit on 23-3-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join