It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ann Coulter speech cancelled after thousands protest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Canadians consider your beer to be too weak.We like alcohol in our beers.

Still tho,if I would have known beer was the reward I would have thrown some rocks for ya.

WTF ???!!!

I think you have our beer confused with that kats piss American's drink

Oh I know you would have...Because firstly, Canadians are basically piss heads and stoners
(j/k) And secondly, free beer is good beer...Its a commandment of the Beer God

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I am extremely happy with the student protest and with the university listening. My personal feelings of Anne aside, which I admit to be negative. She would be getting paid for this speaking engagement, even if no students attended her fee would still be coming out of their tuition, as the majority of students have no interest in supporting her hate speech why should they support her financially? Way to go University of Ottawa.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
You're joking, right? Cuz I really can't give you a straight answer if that is the actual level of ignorance from which you're asking.

No I am not joking. So called "Hate Speech" is one of the most BS things I have ever heard of. It is just a way to muzzle people who's opinions you don't agree with. I grew up with the "Sticks and Stones" addage. There is nothing that anyone can say to me that will cause me any harm. There are too many thin skinned people out there who buy in to this crap. As I said "Who determines the definition of hate speech?".

Here's a good one for you. Your people did the worst thing that they could have done. They have given her enough ammunition for at least another book. The best thing that they could have done would be to just not show up. Think about it. Ann Coulter came to talk and nobody showed up. Enough people do that and she's out of business.

A few years ago we had the KKK start having rallys on the steps of the Courthouse. There was the usual uproar, people on both sides yelling and screaming at each other. The TV news people loved it. One year the Klan shows up for their rally and nobody else did. They haven't had a rally since.

Sitcks and stones can break my bones, but, names can never hurt me.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Sorry I didn't see you were from Australia.
I thought you were American.
A gift from the beer God is ALWAYS welcome.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

You see. Now you make sense when you come at it in this manner. Before you were attacking. If you would have explained your stance then maybe your intentions would not have been questioned. I can completely agree with this statement. If people don't show up then her pool of wealth and demand dries up.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

NP

Hell yeah, you know it !

On topic tho...Anyone who believes the diarrhea that dribbles from Coulter's piehole is anything but exactly that, diarrhea, they should stop eating magic mushies, stop dropping acid and stop sniffing glue...

That stuff is not good for the brain...Seriously

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Retrovertigo]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I agree that was a great response. I totally agree. See you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Im sorry, but this sort of witch hunt against people with views such as coulters(who i can't stand) is very sad in the 21st century. It doesn't matter what percentage of people are in favor of this action, you have trampled on free speech and to be proud of it is disgusting. The best way to tackle people like coulter and her views is to let them talk and debate freely, people will understand what an idiot she is if they don't already, yet still allowing her to air her views.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
Regardless, stifling opposing viewpoints does little to inform or encourage critical thinking. This sets a much more dangerous precedent than anything Coulter could have said...

Exactly, discounting everything one says is silly, both sides make good points, once and a while, lol

How does one expand ones awareness if they become close minded to the views of others?

Is it just me, or is the world getting worse?

[edit on 093131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

How can you expand your awareness being openminded to a person who promotes hate and expresses entirly close minded views of their own? The only thing you can learn from a person like that is what NOT to do, and you really dont need to listen to her speak to be able to do that.
Canadians exercised their right to free speech by protesting her coming. They strongly did not want her to come and rose up and prevented it. It was a group of people fighting peacefully for a GOOD cause (to prevent hate and bigotry from being allowed to pollute) and they succeeded. Maybe instead of chastising them, we can use our open minds to learn from them that we DO have the power to get the results we want if we try.

Well, what I think, anyway.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If a KKK Rally were being held in your home town, don't you have a right to protest it (if you wanted to)?
Coulter was invited to come, she was allowed to come and make her speech, she had that freedom, but the fact is a lot of people did not WANT her to come and protested accordingly. In this case, the free speech and opinions of the protesters over took the free speech and opinion of the speaker. Sometimes they win, some times they lose.

But both sides still have the right.... dont you? Or am I missing something....

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Im sorry, but this sort of witch hunt against people with views such as coulters(who i can't stand) is very sad in the 21st century. It doesn't matter what percentage of people are in favor of this action, you have trampled on free speech and to be proud of it is disgusting. The best way to tackle people like coulter and her views is to let them talk and debate freely, people will understand what an idiot she is if they don't already, yet still allowing her to air her views.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Solomons]

Okay, but what about the free speech of those that wanted to protest against her simple minded and degrading remarks about 'flying carpets' and riding in on a 'camel'? Because protesting is a form of free speech that is just as important as being allowed to get up and spew forth lies and demean people.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kommunist

People think they have free speech - but they don't - no racist language, no sexist language - blah blah - so, you can have free speech, so long as its within the rules?

Sounds exactly not NOT freedom to me - the right to do what your told.

I dont agree with what I've seen of her at all - I don't agree with Christians - like Judaism, and Islam - it is completely intolerant - but who cares? Let people say whatever they like - people are capable of controlling themselves = if they upset people, you don't need laws - people will react anyway.

Free speech is dead, and getting deader.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kommunist

If there were any counrty where i could choose to move to, then Canada would be it. Oh sure other countries have more freedom (several European countries come to mind) and yeah other countries have better economies but i think Canada is a country that has more balance in all areas than any other and they still stand up for their beliefs when they really feel passionate about something.

Good on you Canada! Be proud of who and what you are, i hope one day i can join you.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainbow

How can you expand your awareness being openminded to a person who promotes hate and expresses entirly close minded views of their own? The only thing you can learn from a person like that is what NOT to do, and you really dont need to listen to her speak to be able to do that.

Canadians exercised their right to free speech by protesting her coming. They strongly did not want her to come and rose up and prevented it. It was a group of people fighting peacefully for a GOOD cause (to prevent hate and bigotry from being allowed to pollute) and they succeeded. Maybe instead of chastising them, we can use our open minds to learn from them that we DO have the power to get the results we want if we try.

Well, what I think, anyway.

If people don't want to listen to her - go somewhere else - thats pretty easy.

Were people being dragged in and tied down and forced to listen? If not, then one can assume that some people want to hear it - so, good for them.

Because the venue was public - then people can come and demonstrate if they want - and she can speak if she wants. If people are going to get violent because someone says the wrong things - thats just intolerance, and stupid - just walk away from them. When they are standing alone talking to themselves they will figure out that nobody is interested in what they are saying.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
To quote Anne Coulter:

“Political correctness has nothing to do with offending people or not offending people. It is purely about power.”

Couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Everywhere I look at the moment the Republicans are being hammered as 'extremist', 'racist', 'loonies' - hmm

I am fairly sure that the publicity is because she is a republican - this looks like propaganda to me for sure. They know she is going to open her mouth and offend a bunch of people - so they let her do it - then publicize it, emphasizing that she is republican - why is it that the scum are actually worried about republicans at the moment?

They own both sides - I am guessing because they expect a lot of congress to get kicked out in the coming elections, and they own a hell of a lot more democratic candidates than they do useful republicans - hmm

Might be something to this ..

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainbow
If a KKK Rally were being held in your home town, don't you have a right to protest it (if you wanted to)?
Coulter was invited to come, she was allowed to come and make her speech, she had that freedom, but the fact is a lot of people did not WANT her to come and protested accordingly. In this case, the free speech and opinions of the protesters over took the free speech and opinion of the speaker. Sometimes they win, some times they lose.

But both sides still have the right.... dont you? Or am I missing something....

Both sides don't have the right. Granted I am no racist in the least bit but in the South you just know about the Klan (if it exists anymore). The black panthers are allowed to spew their hate up and down streets all day. I would be willing to bet that anyone who protested would be marked as disturbing the peace. The KKK is not allowed to gather. If a group of them was marching then they would be arrested for inciting a riot or something of the sort. Different standards for different people. Ann was shut down by protests and that is simply the truth. The campus should have removed the protesters and let her speak but this is progression so no deal. I wonder what would have happened up there if the black panthers showed up and started bashing "whitey"?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
See, I disagree that her freedom of speech of infringed upon, she has based her persona around as she says being a "polemicist" who likes to "stir up the pot". When does stirring the pot become inciting violence or hateful?

She is a media personality, who receives payment for her off the wall comments. She clearly has a monetary motive to keep pushing while hiding behind freedom of speech. If she truly believed in whatever she was going discuss that day, she could go stand in park, on the street, in a coffee shop and say what she wants to say, she doesn't. She only has these remarks to say when she is receiving a paycheck for it, be it at a speaking engagement, in print, on t.v., etc. She has the right to make statements of her choosing for her financial gain, and the students also have the right to not pay (either directly or indirectly) to hear her thoughts.

She is not a dumb woman, I finally got around to at least reading her wiki page to see her credentials. She is a well educated woman, I'll give her that. But being a lawyer wouldn't give her the cash she's seeing as being a controversial media personality.

Edit: If the university did not cancel the event and paid her for speech out of funds gained through tuition, the students free speech is being infringed upon as they did not want to support her.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by searching4truth]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Both sides don't have the right. Granted I am no racist in the least bit but in the South you just know about the Klan (if it exists anymore). The black panthers are allowed to spew their hate up and down streets all day.

Both of these organisations should be viewed as terrorist organisations. While someone has the right to hold a racist view (as stupid and ignorant as that is) to organise a group around it and promote violence is wrong. The black panthers are a disgusting organisation and i will never understand how they can exist and the KKK cannot. It's a double standard.

I would be willing to bet that anyone who protested would be marked as disturbing the peace.

Anyone protesting the Black Panthers would simply be seen as racist. Actually it's odd how black people in the states can call themselves black but other races must refer to them as african american. I will never understand such a name. In the UK black people don't cal themselves african englishmen, or african scottishmen. Hell if i called some of the black scots i know african scottishmen then they would punch me!

The KKK is not allowed to gather. If a group of them was marching then they would be arrested for inciting a riot or something of the sort. Different standards for different people. Ann was shut down by protests and that is simply the truth. The campus should have removed the protesters and let her speak but this is progression so no deal. I wonder what would have happened up there if the black panthers showed up and started bashing "whitey"?

The KKK was shut down because they directly commit violent acts and so the goverment stepped in as they should when people are being lynched and hung. Ann Coulter was prevented from talking by the peopel who found her political view, a view which is made by choice, disgusting. This is the very essence of a free republic. Anyone can spout their ideas, she still can if she likes, she just ran into a wall of people who didn't want it in their town, she was outnumbered.

If the government had stopped her at the beggining without the peoples consent then i would be right on her side and calling the goverment a disgusting dictatorship.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Looks like it was her bodyguard that called the speech off.

www.ottawacitizen.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join