posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ..5..
Why can't you just use the 3% from the drug store?
It is only going to be diluted anyway so you would use 30 drops instead of 3. Plus being antisceptic grade it is pure.
The 'food grade' catch phrase on the website screams 'scam' to me.
Hydrogen peroxide is available in various strengths and grades.
* 3.5% Pharmaceutical Grade: This is the grade sold at your local chemist or supermarket. This product is not recommended for internal use. It
contains an assortment of stabilisers which shouldn't be ingested. Various stabilizers include: acetanilide, phenol, sodium stanate and tertrasodium
* 6% Beautician Grade: This is used in beauty shops to colour hair and is not recommended for internal use.
* 30% Reagent Grade: This is used for various scientific experimentation and also contains stabilisers. It is also not for internal use.
* 30% to 32% Electronic Grade: This is used to clean electronic parts and not for internal use.
* 35% Technical Grade: This is a more concentrated product than the Reagent Grade and differs slightly in that phosphorus is added to help
neutralise any chlorine from the water used to dilute it.
* 35% Food Grade: This is used in the production of foods like cheese, eggs, and whey-containing products. It is also sprayed on the foil lining
of aseptic packages containing fruit juices and milk products. THIS IS THE ONLY GRADE RECOMMENDED FOR INTERNAL USE
* 90%: This is used as an oxygen source for rocket fuel.
Only 35% Food Grade hydrogen peroxide is recommended for internal use. At this concentration, however, hydrogen peroxide is a very strong oxidiser and
if not diluted, it can be extremely dangerous or even fatal. Any concentrations over 10% can cause neurological reactions and damage to the upper
gastrointestinal tract. There have been two known fatalities in children who ingested 27% and 40% concentrations of H202. Recently, a 26 month old
female swallowed one mouthful of 35% H202. She immediately began vomiting, followed by fainting and respiratory arrest. Fortunately, she was under
emergency room care and although she experienced erosion and bleeding of the stomach and esophageus, she survived the incident. When she was
re-examined 12 days later, the areas involved had healed (J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 90;28(1):95-100).