It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Comet just hit the Sun!!!! (Update Asteroid or Comet is now incoming. 3rd impact)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
Hmmm.,.,..

Interesting the gif stops just as that big boy hit Sol eh?

.... would be great for someone to upload the gif when it's available.

Here is the individual images.

Images

That loop is most current as well, just refresh every few hours.

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
1.42 is the last frame so far.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
From spaceweather.com...

DOOMED COMET:

A newly-discovered comet is plunging toward the sun and probably will not survive. The encounter is too close to the sun for human eyes to see, but the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) is able to monitor the action using an opaque disk to block the sun's glare. UPDATED: Click on the image to launch a 17-hour time-lapse animation spanning 0042 to 1742 UT:

The doomed comet is probably a member of the Kreutz sungrazer family. Named after a 19th century German astronomer who studied them in detail, Kreutz sungrazers are fragments from the breakup of a giant comet at least 2000 years ago. Several of these fragments pass by the sun and disintegrate every day. Most are too small to see but occasionally a big fragment--like this one--attracts attention.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Just a question,

Would we be able to see the generated CME if it came in our direction?

Do you think tht is why we dont see the CME generated from impact if it did indeed hit it and if we can't see CME's coming our way?

Thanks a lot in advance!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EminenceofAeon

It's highly unlikely that the comet would create a CME. But in any case, this one was visible in STEREO B (which is 93 million miles behind us in orbit around the Sun), apparently moving around the backside of the Sun so any if anything did happen we probably wouldn't know about it.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EminenceofAeon
Just a question,

Would we be able to see the generated CME if it came in our direction?

Do you think tht is why we dont see the CME generated from impact if it did indeed hit it and if we can't see CME's coming our way?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Yes, what you would see would be what looks like dots all over the frame almost like thousands of stars, which are in fact particles hitting the sensor....

Here is an example:

-Kdial1

[edit on 12-3-2010 by kdial1]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Update

Wow this is Weird!!!! There is a Third Comet and or asteroid coming in on the same trajectory

Literally I just saw it take a look at the loop....

Loop

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I am not that informed on these things so I must ask, What does this mean for us? What effects will this have on the earth? I am curious?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Thanks a lot guys for the information, it's highly appreciated.

to the OP:

oh wow I see it too its small like the first one.

This is pretty exciting!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
I am not that informed on these things so I must ask, What does this mean for us? What effects will this have on the earth? I am curious?

Most likely it means nothing for us.

I am just an avid observer of SOHO and have never seen this in the years I have been observing.

Also The Fist one that hit I think was an Asteroid. It produced a CME, however you can see that the Comet did not produce one.

It seems as though there is another asteroid on the way to the sun.... Hard to tell right now but it seems there is no tail...

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Here is a different perspective.

Link

Rhain

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Remember the Corona from the sun is at least a million degrees, so it would have to pass that. But on the surface it only a few thound degrees celcius on there.
I might have thought it would evaporate before it could even touch the surface of the sun.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Here is the video showing all three. Here is what I believe they were in the order they appeared:

1. Asteroid

2. Comet

3. Asteroid (Hard to see in this video, look at the current loop)

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Really appreciate your effort - but ONCE AGAIN the point of impact seems to been cut - and then it continues...

I think they're hiding the impact - the question then would be why?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Yes, what you would see would be what looks like dots all over the frame almost like thousands of stars, which are in fact particles hitting the sensor....

ahhhh!! all the white bits on the pics make sence now, i always wondered why their was so much static on the soho pics and videos!

thanks for inadvertantly teaching me something!

on topic... im nearly in a trance watching that first video on this post loop over and over ... that first asteriod hits it with some power by the looks of things, its also cool as it does exactly what people have been explaining in this post, with the asteriod being solid and making an explosion, and the comet being mainly dust and ice and not really creating much fuss on the suns surface at all

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

SOHO observations have shown that Sungrazers frequently arrive in pairs separated by a few hours. These pairs are too frequent to occur by chance, and cannot be due to break-ups on the previous orbit, because the fragments would have separated by a much greater distance.[2] Instead, it is thought that the pairs result from fragmentations far away from the perihelion. Many comets have been observed to fragment far from perihelion, and it seems that in the case of the Kreutz Sungrazers, an initial fragmentation near perihelion can be followed by an ongoing 'cascade' of break-ups throughout the rest of the orbit.[2][14]

More information on Sungrazing comets
sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil...

sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil...

Do the comets cause coronal mass ejections (CMEs) or flares?
It has been suggested that comets "hitting the Sun" cause solar flares and CMEs. Indeed, if you watch movies of many of our comets, you will see that they do indeed coincide with CMEs. However, there is no relationship between the two, and it is purely coincidence that we see this. Around the peak of the solar cycle, we often see ten or twenty CMEs per day, and on average SOHO discovers a new comet once every three days. So it is really no surprise that we frequently see the two occur at the same time. It is also important to keep in mind the sizes of the objects involved. The Sun is enormous, and SOHO comets are tiny (tens of meters). A few simple calculations can show that a SOHO comets striking the Sun is, dimensionally speaking, approximately the equivalent of a tennis ball striking Australia... and the tennis ball has the density of a soft scoop of ice cream and Australia is at least thousands of degrees Celcius! The tiny comets are of no significance to the Sun, and would plunge in completely unnoticed (and would likely evaporate long before reaching the surface anyway).

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Sorry for asking what may be a dumb question, but what is that glowing orb to the Right of the Sun- another comet, the space station, a ufo?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Very fun and interesting to watch. Thanks for posting the loop guys.

I'm new to watching these things, and was just curious.... Right when the big (second) one hits, there is a bright flashing light on the far right side. (Most of it seems to be cut off). Is that just a result of the loop, or some kind of reflection, or ??

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
Sorry for asking what may be a dumb question, but what is that glowing orb to the Right of the Sun- another comet, the space station, a ufo?

Mercury
sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil.../transits_2010
Transits of Objects through the LASCO/C3 field of view (FOV) in 2010
Mar07-Mar22 Mercury -1.8mag Right to Left

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
That light you see bottom right is the planet Mercury if I remember right. On Spaceweather.com look at the date March 6th (I think) and you can see Jupiter too.

Casing

edited - sorry, am so slow at this posting business, but the answer is the same

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Casing]

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join