It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to bug out would you claim a stranger's bunker?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You guys that think you will be able to survive on your own, with noone else around are in for a rude awakening. Your gonna kill everyone that you dont know if they come close to what you have is just bad planning.

now as for the question, my opinion would be to stake out said bunker to make sure it was not occupied. If it is occupied, try to barter and see if there is anything worth staying for, otherwise hopefully you would be able to use it- coexist- with the folks and try and find something close by, or move on. Strength in numbers is gonna be the way to go, many hands makes easy work. all you hillbillies that think you can do it all on your own, better rethink your plan, cuz you will either go crazy, or die when a bigger group comes along.

I am not saying that some people wont have to die, but you need to make that decision wisely. not just because you see someone else, you kill them and steal their women- Many people have many different things to offer. when you realize that your chances of survival will increase.

Love and Light.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Totally depnds, if you are prepared, having an 4x4 etc, extra fuel, and seeds are of importance..

You cant pack your car full of Mc Burgers, you would last 3 days ..
And , those crazy bastards will go for your daughters, so shoot first, you can not let people get close to you and your family/friends, they will fool you into thinking they are unarmed and harmless, you just cant spend one apple on strangers... Sadly , that is how it is ...

Watch the movie The Road with Viggo Mortensen........

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
My neighbor inherited the bunker from the guy who built the house and had to sell it after his divorce. This neighbor had the house bought for him by his mother because he wasn't real good with money...or actually anything.

This neighbor barks at the moon and invites all kinds of trash back to his place after closing time then summarily performs like a mental case to scare the be-Jesus out of them. They then knock on my door for help or for me to ring a taxi because he has assaulted them or threatened them with some kind of violence.

If the SHTF big time he wont be going into that bunker I can assure you of that, Post Apocalypse can certainly do without this nutter surviving to come out the other side I can tell you that for certainty.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

haha your last post was excellent you can chain the nutter to a tree elsewhere so as he howls at the moon as to draw less attention to your newly acquired bunker

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Brotherman]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Totally depnds, if you are prepared, having an 4x4 etc, extra fuel, and seeds are of importance..

You cant pack your car full of Mc Burgers, you would last 3 days ..
And , those crazy bastards will go for your daughters, so shoot first, you can not let people get close to you and your family/friends, they will fool you into thinking they are unarmed and harmless, you just cant spend one apple on strangers... Sadly , that is how it is ...

Watch the movie The Road with Viggo Mortensen........

This thread is based on the book, "The Road" that the movie is all about.

You can have a 4x4 and fuel but every disaster movie I ever saw had clogged,impassable roads. Many disasters (nukes,solar flares) would make your 4x4 unusuable.

It takes months to grew vegetables and you need to stay in on place. In the book everyone constantly moved to avoid other people.

I think most people are good and will band together to help each other. There are always some immature individuals who enjoy violence.

So, you wouldn't want anyone to take your stuff, are prepared to defend it, and are willing to take other people's stuff? Is that what you are saying?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
My neighbor inherited the bunker from the guy who built the house

If the SHTF big time he wont be going into that bunker I can assure you of that, Post Apocalypse can certainly do without this nutter surviving to come out the other side I can tell you that for certainty.

The neighbor may be useless but so is his bunker. I assume it is empty. The value in a bunker is in what it holds.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKARonco
You guys that think you will be able to survive on your own, with noone else around are in for a rude awakening. Your gonna kill everyone that you dont know if they come close to what you have is just bad planning.

Strength in numbers is gonna be the way to go, many hands makes easy work. all you hillbillies that think you can do it all on your own, better rethink your plan, cuz you will either go crazy, or die when a bigger group comes along.

Many people have many different things to offer. when you realize that your chances of survival will increase.

Exactly!
Pooling our strengths to survive.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by NotThat]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
In the book, "The Road" by Cormac McMarthy, the father found a hidden bunker full of survival supplies including cases of food. He stayed for a few days and then moved on. He never stayed long in any one place, thinking it was safer to keep moving.

I think I would have stayed, or at least have moved some of the food to hidden spots in the nearby area. It was obvious the owners weren't returning. If someone killed me, at least I would die with a full belly and a previous night's good sleep in a warm bed.

I would like to think that I wouldn't kill someone for their hidden supplies but I would take over someone's stuff if no owner was around.

depends upon the situation... but if I had to damn right i would... survival is what it is... and if it were real bad the strong will survive...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Ah yes... This is why I prepare.. look at some of these guys... useless bags of flesh who would overtly kill you on sight.

These are probably the same idiots who spend every cent they have on big screen TV's and then expect to "Take" anything they can because they are to damn stupid to prepare.

Makes me sick.... You grow up in a civilization that wants for almost nothing (food, clean water, shelter) yet your so damned stupid that you would rather kill and take from others than have a single braincell and prepare "just a little bit" to take care of yourselves in the event of an emergency.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
Ah yes... This is why I prepare.. look at some of these guys... useless bags of flesh who would overtly kill you on sight.

These are probably the same idiots who spend every cent they have on big screen TV's and then expect to "Take" anything they can because they are to damn stupid to prepare.

Makes me sick.... You grow up in a civilization that wants for almost nothing (food, clean water, shelter) yet your so damned stupid that you would rather kill and take from others than have a single braincell and prepare "just a little bit" to take care of yourselves in the event of an emergency.

agreed there... useless is what they are... I have spent the past 35 years or so learning and storing away items that I figured we would need... we built a rather expensive shelter, stocked it very well, chose people from all walks of life that were very heavily into this aspect of staying alive... formed a rather quiet low profile militia group with one goal... stay alive... and built on that and a harsh set of rules and laws that we would enforce...
Now we have all types of idiots in the world that want what we built... not a chance... someone is damn sure gonna go down... we would not give up what we all have to a low life dirt bag resting his carcass on the couch... nor would we assist those that needed it unless they had actually been trying to prep and were serious about staying alive...

the trash would come out after a major conflict or natural / manmade disaster like cock roaches.... so when they come they die right there ... they get one warning to leave and if they refuse to comply.... well, they were warned.

survival is at stake....so there could be little to no compromise to anything or anyone... it is harsh but it would be needed...

I figure that those that depend upon the government to baby set them from cradle to grave can keep right on doing that... because they got nothing coming

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKARonco
You guys that think you will be able to survive on your own, with noone else around are in for a rude awakening.
Your gonna kill everyone that you dont know if they come close to what you have is just bad planning.

now as for the question, my opinion would be to stake out said bunker to make sure it was not occupied. If it is occupied, try to barter and see if there is anything worth staying for, otherwise hopefully you would be able to use it- coexist- with the folks and try and find something close by, or move on. Strength in numbers is gonna be the way to go, many hands makes easy work. all you hillbillies that think you can do it all on your own, better rethink your plan, cuz you will either go crazy, or die when a bigger group comes along.

I am not saying that some people wont have to die, but you need to make that decision wisely. not just because you see someone else, you kill them and steal their women- Many people have many different things to offer. when you realize that your chances of survival will increase.

Love and Light.

nope on doing it all alone... teams and work make it happen... and staying alive is what it is allabout so when people come to close... you remind them they have one option to leave and if they do not... there is plenty of land for mass graves...

In our group there are a considerable number of highly trained people that all take staying alive very serious and we are not to be underestimated... I do agree that strength in numbers is what it is about... within our group there is one commander and the rest are part of that team... every person in our group was hand chosen... the cream of the crop as it were... trash and those that want to do nothing or prey upon the innocent are the ones that will be outgunned and outnumbered after a time... called a war of attrition. the elderly and the innocent must be protected. And that is something we all take deadly serious...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

In the book, the man found a bunker loaded with food and survival stuff. No one was alive in the nearby house. No one had been in the house for weeks.

My thought was that if I had to bug out and happened to find someone's bunker that I would probably stay there. The man was afraid that wandering people would kill him for the food. he was not worried about the original owners of the bunker.

This is not a thread about defending your bunker.
This is not a thread about idiots who don't prepare.

This is a thread about would you use someone's stored survival equipment/food if you found it after you had to bug out.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Yes, you are correct. It is a hypothetical question based on the man and boy coming across an abandoned underground store. It was not a fortified bunker, nor was it occupied or defended. In this case, if I was on the road, I would set on an LUP and observe the facility in order to be sure of the situation. If it proved to be abandoned, I would consider staying for a few days in order to recover and resupply. I would then take what I could and leave the rest in good order for others to find.

It may be a survival situation, but it is not just about YOU. It is the survival of mankind. WE have to work together to get through it.
This is why, if there is a SHTF situation, the members of our village in the South of France have decided to work as a single community. We have farmers, doctors, dentitists, bakers, builders, engineers and a few ex-military (like myself). We have farm land around us, woodland and a medium sized river.

This is the way to carry on after the event. Not roaming around, killing everyone in sight. The village roads are easily blocked and the village centre is easily defended, should it come to that.

[edit on 15/3/2010 by TheLoneArcher]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
reply to post by lilwolf

In the book, the man found a bunker loaded with food and survival stuff. No one was alive in the nearby house. No one had been in the house for weeks.

My thought was that if I had to bug out and happened to find someone's bunker that I would probably stay there. The man was afraid that wandering people would kill him for the food. he was not worried about the original owners of the bunker.

This is not a thread about defending your bunker.
This is not a thread about idiots who don't prepare.

This is a thread about would you use someone's stored survival equipment/food if you found it after you had to bug out.

I understood that and I understood what you are saying...i was responding to the remark that was made... in a hypothetical like this... I would scout it out and ..yes, I would use it and after a short time I would take all I could carry back to my own shelter...

using whatever means that were at my disposal to transport it...

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

It may be a survival situation, but it is not just about YOU. It is the survival of mankind. WE have to work together to get through it.
This is why, if there is a SHTF situation, the members of our village in the South of France have decided to work as a single community. We have farmers, doctors, dentitists, bakers, builders, engineers and a few ex-military (like myself). We have farm land around us, woodland and a medium sized river.

This is the way to carry on after the event. Not roaming around, killing everyone in sight. The village roads are easily blocked and the village centre is easily defended, should it come to that.

"The survival of mankind". Yes.

In the book everyone wandered, everyone afraid of everyone else. I think a small community could survive if people worked together. Some people may have to leave their homes but not everyone.

I wish I lived in your village.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Well in the book, the father and his son leave because they believe they are being followed, which they are, but it's by friendly strangers. They leave because they think that they'd be killed if it was a)cannibals, b)scavengers, c)the owners of that bunker, or d)all of the above

If I was on the move, I would most likely enter a "bunker" with extreme caution. Scouting it out from a distance for a day, to check if it is inhabited. Then examining the interior from a closer distance, to see if it worth entering. If there were people, I would observe them and determine whether they are simply surviving, or becoming desperate and resorting to desperate measure and eating you know what. If they seemed dangerous, I'd keep moving on, no need to risk my safety. If they seemed safe, I'd go to the house and get their attention peacefully to avoid any confusion which could result in a dangerous situation.

More than likely, most people surviving in their own bunker would not want enjoy a stranger entering, for the fear of them being killed for their gear or food or bunker.

In most cases, I'd avoid taking bunkers that are inhabited, but if I was desperate for a safe place to rest, or a possible chance of food and water, I would have to take the risk.

So in answer to OP's question: Yes. I would claim a stranger's bunker, but only if my life absolutely depended on it.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BtotheG

In most cases, I'd avoid taking bunkers that are inhabited, but if I was desperate for a safe place to rest, or a possible chance of food and water, I would have to take the risk.

So in answer to OP's question: Yes. I would claim a stranger's bunker, but only if my life absolutely depended on it.

I, too, would avoid a bunker with people unless I thought they looked like they might need me.

You always hear about people who live in a city but who have an isolated, rural spot to bug out to. That bug out spot has food and other supplies. I have wondered if those city people could ever get to their bug out spot. I would think most disasters would prevent extensive traveling - road blocks, trees down, distroyed bridges, clogged roads, etc.

I think there will be bunkers the owners will not be able to get to.

[edit on 16-3-2010 by NotThat]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If I was wandering and came upon a hidden bunker, I would use what I needed and would move on after marking it on my map in case I might be passing through. You never know. Anyway I would take only what I needed and I would eat as if I had to make it last. I wouldn't go so far as to try an load up and haul the find to some personal location. I think that would defeat the purpose of having a hidden bunker somewhere.

The hidden bunker is where it needs to be and the food and supplies that are there took some time to get there. Leave them, use them and in such a way perhaps the next survivor might have a chance to "get right" rest and take care of odds and ends. Eat, drink and recover from what brought you there.

I get this approach from taking those serious long range deep, deep into the woods hikes where remote log cabins with fire wood, sodas, and crackers can really lift your spirits after a two or three day walk on the wild side. I have found that most serious hikers or adventurers as my friends like to say should leave behind granola bars, canned goods, dry goods and sometimes books and any old old newspapers.

It is on these type of hikes that I use to ponder finding some treasure location, my Garden of Eden where I could escape and yet still be able to take care of the little things that come up from time to time like stitching a deep cut, treating a serious blister, sunburn, poison ivey and or sumac issues, anyway, yes, I believe in giving back and as such I try to do so because if you have ever been out for three or four days pushing up and down hills and mountains and rivers when you come across a homemade log cabin stocked with coffee, beans, water, first aid stuff and other repair items like rope and tape its good to remember that someone left it behind in case someone needed it. It's not for stealing, it's for using what you need and moving on. I think this it's called "decency."

Remote hidden locations with supplies and such are not for collecting and taking like some looter during a hurricane, its for being thoughtful for the next guy or gal that might discover such a remote location and in doing so, take advantage of the amenities and then leave the place cleaned up and a little bit better than when you found it. If I could donate something to the place, I would always see what I was tired of carrying around and say, why not. Maybe someone can use it. Here's a book called Trance Formation of America by Phillips and O'Brien.

Batteries, sodas, food, clothing, books, maps have all been available to me at some time or another and I always knew that if I needed something I could take it without feeling guilty. With all of this in mind If I found a serious bunker armed for reality, I would stay and rearm and load up what ammo and food I needed and then move on. Trying to drag out a heavy load of crap is what gets people killed and besides, it slows you down so much that you will sound like an elephant walking on corn flakes. Noisy and clumsy.

Anyway, that's what I would do and by the way, (P.S.) trying to rob a hidden bunker might trigger a hidden booby trap that will ruin your day. Just thought I would mention that to some it's called the "Indiana Jones booby trap ploy" whereby you lift the golden skull treasure and it begins a series of unstoppable events that ends with you being crushed or blown up or perhaps both.

Anyway, Thanks for the posting.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I tend to try not to steal things, and even in a survival situation its still theft if its not explicitly my property. That being said I would likely recon the location, check for indicators of recent travel, and then observe the entrance and surrounding area for at least 24 or more hours unless in immediate danger of death. If the place checks out and nobody shows up then I'd probably help myself to the least quantity of goods possible and then make an attempt to collect something of equal value to replace it with, probably with a note to anybody coming by.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Lovely post. Very well thought out.

I, too, have been in trail cabins or hostels where things are left (or placed) for hikers/backpackers/travelors. I would only take what I needed from such a place and add something to the pile. But that is now. There is a polite expected "rule" to such a place.

A stocked bunker would be different. I am a homebody. I prefer to stay in place and get comfortable.

I agree about the possibility of hidden traps. If I had a bunker I would think about ways to keep it safe until I could get to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join