It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to bug out would you claim a stranger's bunker?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
In the book, "The Road" by Cormac McMarthy, the father found a hidden bunker full of survival supplies including cases of food. He stayed for a few days and then moved on. He never stayed long in any one place, thinking it was safer to keep moving.

I think I would have stayed, or at least have moved some of the food to hidden spots in the nearby area. It was obvious the owners weren't returning. If someone killed me, at least I would die with a full belly and a previous night's good sleep in a warm bed.

I would like to think that I wouldn't kill someone for their hidden supplies but I would take over someone's stuff if no owner was around.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Survival is survival. If you have to kill someone so you might survive I would do it without hesitation. EVERYONE in the area not associated with me would have to die. You don't need kids growing up and hunting you down later on. Granted I would probably avoid people like the plague, but necessity would dictate action.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Odd question, lol. It's all circumstancial; if i had nothing, i'd likely take all and the entirety of it. If, however, I was already well off (which I'd plan to be), then I'd likely, if anything, leave something fresh, different from everything (maybe a sweet? lol). You never know, somebody else might come along and that'd be a nice little addition.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Not only would I take someones bunker, but if it came down to my family surviving, or that of a complete stranger, the stranger will die 100% of the time.

If the dead strangers wife was pretty good lookin, I would probably keep her around for the breeding of a future generation.

In the event of a catastrophic bug out scenario, nothing is wrong with taking actions you normally wouldnt in order to ensure the survival of your loved ones. That includes wiping out everyone who may threaten said survival.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
oppapaperclip, what is the point of surviving if you have to kill children to do it?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

At first I thought I would do the same as you and also assume that the owner was going to show up, probably within a day or two, but in thinking it over, I changed my mind.

If he's prepared enough to have this bunker full of food then he's undoubtedly also armed. I would expect that if he makes it to this place after a disaster then his journey wasn't a pleasant one, and he'll probably be on edge, to say the least. I would just take some supplies and get out of Dodge. Maybe hide out for a few days and go back to see if he made it. After a week or so you could probably assume he's not going to make it and in that case you might as well make yourself at home.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadiatorOfTheLight
Odd question, lol. It's all circumstancial; if i had nothing, i'd likely take all and the entirety of it. If, however, I was already well off (which I'd plan to be), then I'd likely, if anything, leave something fresh, different from everything (maybe a sweet? lol). You never know, somebody else might come along and that'd be a nice little addition.

Wow, I hope my child and I don't live in your neighborhood when the time comes...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Okay, here's real life...
Outside the Marine Corps and the battlefield, I've never seen a Bunker...
Storm cellar or basement sure but a bunker???

Let me tell you something else people who put up bunkers, they do so knowing someone is going to attack that position, they go to great lengths to prevent that too... if you encounter one don't be surprised to find it not only well guarded but also booby-trapped...

No sir I see a bunker I'm going the other way before someone with an itchy trigger finger behind a Ma Deuce takes a disliking to me

[edit on 12-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
In the book, "The Road" by Cormac McMarthy, the father found a hidden bunker full of survival supplies including cases of food. He stayed for a few days and then moved on. He never stayed long in any one place, thinking it was safer to keep moving.

I think I would have stayed, or at least have moved some of the food to hidden spots in the nearby area. It was obvious the owners weren't returning. If someone killed me, at least I would die with a full belly and a previous night's good sleep in a warm bed.

I would like to think that I wouldn't kill someone for their hidden supplies but I would take over someone's stuff if no owner was around.

If you needed to "bug out" and found somebody's bunker...there are only two possibilities...

That person is either A) Dead, or B) will be back shortly and will most definitely be armed. If you're going to take anything, I'd make sure you did it ASAP and moved on...wouldn't want to lounge around and wake up to a shotgun barrel resting tightly on my forehead

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
If I had to bug out and didn't have a secure location....and then happen by someone's bunker...hopefully they would share....if not, I may go on about my business....but if I was desperate, then the owners of the bunker might have a fight on their hands.

Of course, part of being prepared is having the knowledge to build a structure with materials available to shield you from the elements.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
And this : You have your self to blame for not taking heed, or is it fair and okey for you to take others shelter and food since they actually prepared ?

I think it stinks, obviously some humans comes from apes....

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
How about waiting for the owner to come back if it looks likely he will, and ask if he could help you out ?

For some reason, the internet rambos out there think that surviving an apocalypse comes down to having the biggest gun. Here's something. To survive, you'll NEED other people's help. The ones walking around with guns shooting everything will be the first to be taken out by well organized groups fearing for the safety of their familly and comunity.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by oppaperclip
EVERYONE in the area not associated with me would have to die. You don't need kids growing up and hunting you down later on.

Wow! I hope I don't live in your neighborhood, either!
In the book, everyone hung out alone or in small family groups and kept moving, except for the gangs of canibals.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by NotThat]

[edit on 12-3-2010 by NotThat]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RadiatorOfTheLight

In the book it was 2 rooms packed with stuff. You could never take it all with you and the only thing missing was a gun.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek

In the event of a catastrophic bug out scenario, nothing is wrong with taking actions you normally wouldnt in order to ensure the survival of your loved ones. That includes wiping out everyone who may threaten said survival.

I would hope that people would pool resources and help each other survive. The more people the more knowledge, skills, and labor you have.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Funny enough, a great deal of us here, more the nlikily, will run into each other in such a cenario..

I'd hope we'd not shoot each other.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare[/i

Let me tell you something else people who put up bunkers, they do so knowing someone is going to attack that position, they go to great lengths to prevent that too... if you encounter one don't be surprised to find it not only well guarded but also booby-trapped...

[edit on 12-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

I actually knew someone who booby-trapped his yard!
I think he was growing illegal crops

I have heard of people buying land in isolated places and putting used metal shipping containers on them and filling them with supplies - building a bug-out place.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
You have your self to blame for not taking heed, or is it fair and okey for you to take others shelter and food since they actually prepared ?

Well, how much food can you actually carry with you if you have to leave your house?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I still think the homeless mentality would get you through the impending zombie apocalypse if I came across a bunker I would be very wary if I met no resistance and I most certainly wouldnt touch anything at the most if it looked promising that someone may return there could be possible signs of life for example I wouldnt store my Poo were I sleep and if things were that bad i dont not surmise the promise of running water there would be signs of movement if the bunker was secluded in a grassy area or wooded environment and if one stayed and observed long enough perhaps if any wild life in the area would give clues by their mannerisms in the area. But then again if a person were to store so much they obviously had some kind of life to hold on too a reason to live like a family so if they were not in the area local to the bunker there may be gravesites of the recently passed who knows.. this post kind of reminds me of the Life Boat

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail

For some reason, the internet rambos out there think that surviving an apocalypse comes down to having the biggest gun. Here's something. To survive, you'll NEED other people's help. The ones walking around with guns shooting everything will be the first to be taken out by well organized groups fearing for the safety of their familly and comunity.

In New Orleans, Haiti, and Chile there were gangs of men hurting other people and taking what they wanted. I think that is a sign that gangs of men will create themselves after any disaster, however, I think you are right. Good people will gather together eventually and defend themselves from gangs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join