It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

>>Chile recieves a major earthquake...again<<

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I don't know, but a god damn aftershock woke me up and i'm pissed off =(.... (I was having a sweet dream... )

EDIT:
here's the info of the aftershocks (three and counting...)

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.0
Date-Time

* Friday, March 12, 2010 at 06:10:38 UTC
* Friday, March 12, 2010 at 03:10:38 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 34.377°S, 71.609°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region LIBERTADOR O'HIGGINS, CHILE
Distances 80 km (50 miles) WSW of Rancagua, Chile
115 km (75 miles) N of Talca, Chile
135 km (85 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
145 km (90 miles) S of Valparaiso, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.5 km (6.5 miles); depth fixed by location program

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 4.8
Date-Time

* Friday, March 12, 2010 at 06:45:01 UTC
* Friday, March 12, 2010 at 03:45:01 AM at epicenter

Location 34.289°S, 71.859°W
Distances 105 km (65 miles) W of Rancagua, Chile
130 km (80 miles) N of Talca, Chile
140 km (85 miles) S of Valparaiso, Chile
145 km (90 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 16.2 km (10.1 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 28, Nph= 28, Dmin=596 km, Rmss=0.97 sec, Gp=155°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 4.9
Date-Time

* Friday, March 12, 2010 at 06:56:41 UTC
* Friday, March 12, 2010 at 03:56:41 AM at epicenter

Location 34.198°S, 71.759°W
Distances 95 km (60 miles) W of Rancagua, Chile
130 km (80 miles) S of Valparaiso, Chile
130 km (80 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
135 km (85 miles) N of Talca, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 15 km (9.3 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 61, Nph= 61, Dmin=584.4 km, Rmss=0.88 sec, Gp=133°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6

I want to sleep quietly for a day... just one =(

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Caggy]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

It's not looking too good for anyone.... I think were in trouble, but that's just my personal opinion.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Ok, this may have been talked about already, if so, please disregard. I am just brainstorming after someone mentions solar flares.

This is just off the top of my head, though my hunches are generally focused in the right direction. I'd love help. I have the idea, but need some help doing the legwork. If we could plot time on the x axis of a graph, and plot 3 things on the y axis I think we might have something to go on.

#1 time of solar flare / magnetic collapse (local for ground zero of quake)

#2 degrees out of phase with the sun being at it's peak and the location of quake. I.e if the sun was directly over chile when flare occurred. That would be zero and opposite hemisphere exactly would be 180.

#3 time earthquake hits site in local time.

Just a thought

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NEWclearMind

My line o thinking, for people reading my post above is this. The core is mainly iron, from what I remeber from natural science. Go play with magnets. You'll see their forces are exponentially weaker the frther off they are. Also like a sniper shooting a target from a mile away. You have to aim high for gravity. Well, in this situation the earth's rotation is gravity and magnetic force is the bullet. If it fires two similar flares of equal magnitude in the same direction then the distance between the suns apex and point of quake should be the same.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
you explanation mades me more sense that all the HAARP freaks. Sun can be related onto this subjects, but sadly we don't have records (do we?) from another cases of solar flares related to earthquakes.

I'm still a bit sad for our new president and the other presidents that were here for the change of goverment... they were on the ceremony when the second (and strongest) aftershock started =s... and the cermony was held in Valparaíso.... close to the sea. And we had tsunami alert!! Prince of Spain was all pale
btw i'm not right-wing or left-wing, i'm from the unknown center politically talking... but it made me sad... the best day of your life ruined by a quake! ='(. Presidents from non seismical countries were all freaked out, the same as the guys from Dream Theater, that are going to play tomorrow... and they're so freaked out! Every time i read them on Twitter they make me sad and wants me to invite them a pair of beers and give them a hug ='(

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

if you were replying to my post, thank you. I hope everything gets better there. There are definitely things going on here on earth worth watching.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

What are you talking about, you live in Chile?

If you do, you should know yo uguys have these things every .002 milliseocnds every day, and unless it's 17.9 on the Richter scale, and you see godzilla appear, there is nothing to worry about !!!!

gosh darn paranoids..

Take it from me, I live no where near you.. I should know !!

(read as a dig at the ppl saying it's normal, when we've had 2 people so far from Chile or the region, saying It's rather unsettling..)

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
What baffles me the most is that these quakes are on the same scale--if not bigger--than the one in Haiti, yet the MSM refuses to cover it in the same light. Why not???

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by KANE OG
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I would like a link proving that Chile has earthquakes everyday please.

Look I know the Earth moves, but don't give me that Mag 3 crap and tell me it's an Earthquake... I grew up in California.

Ask anyone who has an education.

G'day.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Watch to the end.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Yes, i live in Chile. The usual daily quakes are short and slow, but this aftershocks are driving me crazy. They're so strong and long.... I'm bored.
the strongest quake didn't alarm me, but the aftershocks are annoying. It's, as I said before, like living in a top of a jell-o bowl.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
A little rumbling is to be expected on a techtonically active planet, and living on the edge of the largest and most active Pacific Plate. That of course is why we adapt, making buildings more earthquake safe, and it was either Concepcion or Santiago that was actually moved to a different locataion at one point because of the earthquakes, correct me if im wrong on that point. I can't remember where I heard that, and cant find a reliable source to prove.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

there are some really good threads on here about solar flares haing a possible connection to earth quakes..

There was one where the solar flare even looked like the island the quake was on....

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This video is supposibly taken the night before the 8.8 earthquake:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nick112

Yeah. It is somewhat perplexing. One would ASSUME that it is because there weren't as many deaths in Chile as there were in Haiti, and Chile is a more advanced nation. However, it still makes one wonder why it hasn't really received a whole lot of attention by the MSM.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

That sounds like a great idea. I don't know how to do it, but I would look at the earth and ocean tides too. The high tide had passed so the water pressure from the spring perigian tide was subsiding while the land was getting a slight lift on the other side of the subduction zone. You might enjoy a site that has done well at using the moon to predict quakes - syzygyjob.com

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Still Chile is getting pounded with earthquake after earthquake. Why?
I understand that that a tectonic plate is on the move, but a tectonic plate works together with other plates, so I ask: Where is next? Who will see the repercussions of this plate moving so much?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I am afraid Chile is next...again. Too many replicas from different epicenters...if it's coming I hope it's soon and not when chile is recuperated from the last quake.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I2HAVE7SEEN9SOMETHING8REALLY3WEIRD7OUTSIDE4DOT5I8CAN'T REALLY7SAY8MUCH6ABOUT6IT, IT'S6BEEN9THREE3NIGHTS7IN1A0ROW0DOT8PLEASE9HELP245SM3

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
Still Chile is getting pounded with earthquake after earthquake. Why?
I understand that that a tectonic plate is on the move, but a tectonic plate works together with other plates, so I ask: Where is next? Who will see the repercussions of this plate moving so much?

aftershocks for a quake that big can continue for over a year.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join