It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

>>Chile recieves a major earthquake...again<<

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Can't wait for 2012. I'll be sure to stock up....on popcorn.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."
Buddha

ET Man I think you got it right (as did FDR) I'm wondering if facing down our fears is the key to our ascension. Fear nothing!!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
There was also this one in Turkey recently

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by colloredbrothers
This guy was right when saying 2010 will be the year of the earthquake.

brace yourselves friends!

There are Earthquakes every year, so what's your point?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There was also a mild eq in Hawaii this week too. From what ive seen so far this year, there has been several eq's the last few months. Haiti, Chili, Hawaii, Aleutians, China, and a couple others. It seems to me that the ring of fire is definitely been more active than usual.

Is the sun responsible? It could be imho. I don't think we know enough to rule it out.

Are there similar things or changes happening on other celestial bodies in our galaxy? Would be interesting to check that out.

Will these kinds of things increase as we approach galactic center? I don't doubt it. We have no idea of the impact it will have on our little blue planet.

We should have someone tracking these quakes. If someone could plot out all the quakes that have happened this year on a map, and continue to do so for the rest of the year, would be very interesting.

My prayers are with the chileans!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The last earthquake was at night, and i was at home.

Now was at day, and im at work on the 7th floor

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6091ce9ca2ea.jpg[/atsimg]

scary....

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
6.0 isn't that bad. Anything under 7 usually causes minimal damage, unless the infrastructure is very poor. But yea, I recall after being in San Fran for a few years, the aftershocks are much worse (nerve-wise) than the orginal quake.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Why is it usually poor countries get hit with earthquakes? I find this very disturbing and suspicious.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Patto

im in 8th region near concepcion where the earthquake struck 27/02 ,yes it was a strong aftershock but from what iv,e seen no casualties and only already damaged buildings being made more unstable and dangerous.people ran for the hills and are very scared incase a tsunami comes,so far everything calm,just a scare!!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Why is it usually poor countries get hit with earthquakes? I find this very disturbing and suspicious.

Maybe the reasons earthquake prone countrys are poor is because of just that...no big investor wants to put their cash down on shaky foundations...literally.

I think once Cali gets "the big one", plenty of businesses will decide to relocate to more sturdy grounds.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Something is going on. The last couple of months earthquakes hit Haiti and then Chile two times. Are you kidding me.

I understand many earthquakes happen but these were huge earthquakes in such a short time span. Even the weather is going crazy. Does anyone know what can be causing this. I heard about HAARP and it seems like an explanation...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Blakeman said Chile now can expect to feel "aftershocks of the aftershock."

After-aftershocks?

More Quakes Hit Chile as New President Takes Over

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FreddyAuratus

Good find, is that like before-foreplay.....

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Scientists warned that there are more shockwaves to come. This is actually bigger than the haiti earthquake.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreddyAuratus

Blakeman said Chile now can expect to feel "aftershocks of the aftershock."

After-aftershocks?

The subduction rupture zone is actually a series of smaller fault segments, and not one continuous huge fault line. Each fault segment of the subducting "slab" has varying dip angles with respect to its subducting plate. And therefore earthquakes are limited to rupturing a segment or a portion of a segment.

You can read the summary for this 6.9 here:

Tectonic Summary

The Chile earthquakes of March 11, 2010, 14:39 UTC and 14:55 UTC, occurred in the region of the plate boundary between the Nazca and South America plates, in the aftershock region of the great Chile earthquake of February 27, 2010. The March 11 earthquakes almost certainly occurred as the result of the change of regional stress caused by the February 27 earthquake. Preliminary analyses of their locations and seismic-wave radiation patterns, however, imply that the March 11 shocks occurred as the result of normal faulting within the subducting Nazca plate or the overriding South America plate, unlike the February 27 earthquake, which occurred as thrust faulting on the interface between the two plates. At present, the focal depths of the shocks are not known with sufficient precision to confidently determine within which of the Nazca or South America plate the earthquakes occurred.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

So as you can see, not even the USGS is sure of exactly which plate they occurred on. But curiously, they are saying that this is normal faulting activity, rather than a thrust event like the big 8.8.

And for the first time, even more interesting to me, is the first time I see them talking about a "change in regional stress," from the big quake, something which I have been trying to drill home now- with additional predictions- ever since the big quake with this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So maybe I am not too far off base.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
and another shock is now occurring:

prediction, about a 5.8 to 6.2

(reporting before the uSGS posts it)

occurring at about 20:12 UTC

2012?

ETA: yep- 5.8 right on the money...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

at 20:11 and change.... of course it may be revised...

[edit on Thu Mar 11th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Coming to the surface people...a lot shallower this time... what gives

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.8
Date-Time Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 20:11:20 UTC
Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 05:11:20 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 34.327°S, 71.680°W
Depth 2.3 km (1.4 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region LIBERTADOR O'HIGGINS, CHILE
Distances 85 km (55 miles) WSW of Rancagua, Chile
125 km (75 miles) N of Talca, Chile
135 km (85 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
140 km (90 miles) S of Valparaiso, Chile

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.1 km (6.3 miles); depth +/- 27.3 km (17.0 miles)
Parameters NST= 99, Nph= 99, Dmin=597.2 km, Rmss=0.74 sec, Gp=130°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010tsbw

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Coming to the surface people...a lot shallower this time... what gives

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.8
Date-Time Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 20:11:20 UTC
Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 05:11:20 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 34.327°S, 71.680°W
Depth 2.3 km (1.4 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region LIBERTADOR O'HIGGINS, CHILE
Distances 85 km (55 miles) WSW of Rancagua, Chile
125 km (75 miles) N of Talca, Chile
135 km (85 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
140 km (90 miles) S of Valparaiso, Chile

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.1 km (6.3 miles); depth +/- 27.3 km (17.0 miles)
Parameters NST= 99, Nph= 99, Dmin=597.2 km, Rmss=0.74 sec, Gp=130°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010tsbw

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Those aftershocks are coming in fast and furious!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join