It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you tell me about wood?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Everybody seems to have lost a tree this winter. There are stacks of wood all over the place. Much of it is cut in logs. I have been picking some of it up but I am a bit worried. The newspaper said that some wood is dangerous because of mold.

I just moved into a house with a fireplace. I want to use my fireplace next winter and I also thought about getting one of those firepits that are so popular for my backyard.

What are the right size lengths of wood?
How thick can a log be for me to throw it in my fireplace?
Can I burn a moldy log?
Can I burn odd size pieces of wood?
Should I buy a reflector for my fireplace?
Does it matter what kind of wood I burn?

I really don't know anything about fires.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Q:What are the right size lengths of wood?
A: It depends on the width of your fireplace. You want space at both ends so it breathes better. Make them roughly about 12 inches shorter than your fireplace is wide.

Q: How thick can a log be for me to throw it in my fireplace?
A: 6 to 8 inches should be fine but if you split them in half they will burn much better. Fire likes edges, so round logs do not burn as well. I have burned logs as much as 12 inches wide in my fireplace, but it is a big fireplace.

Q:Can I burn a moldy log?
A: You can burn it, but it wont burn well. Mold means moisture so you will get a smokey log and little heat. The mold wont hurt you while it is burning, but it will not make a clean hot fire. Leave the moldy logs to compost back into the soil and stick with dried firm wood.

Q: Can I burn odd size pieces of wood?
A: You can burn any shaped or sized wood you wish so long as it safely fits into the fireplace.

Q:Should I buy a reflector for my fireplace?
A: Yes! Not only does a reflector put more heat into the room, it is also very important for protecting the Bricks in the back of your fireplace. You can either buy one specially made for a fireplace, or simply get a piece of thick plate steel that fits.

Q: Does it matter what kind of wood I burn?
A: Yes. Avoid pines as they create more Soot which will build up in the chimney and could lead to a chimney fire. Hard woods are best like Oak, Maple, Ash etc. Not sure what kind of wood it is?? Well if it had needles avoid it, If it had leaves, go ahead and burn it. You want seasoned wood, and not wood that is fresh and green, Green wood has a high moisture content and will make more smoke and soot and produce less heat. Seasoned wood is dry and will burn nice and hot and clean. If you have wood from a freshly cut live tree, stack it and let it sit for a year before you burn it. Dead wood, from a tree that has been dead for a while is fine to burn. It is all about using dry wood and avoiding moist wood.

[edit on 9/3/10 by Terapin]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Terapin pretty much said it all. I might add that a woodstove is superior to burning in a fireplace for heating purposes. You can also cook on a woodstove. Small fans are also useful for spreading the heat around your home.
It sounds like you might be getting involved in cutting some wood and there is an art to that. whether using hand tools or a chain saw there are certain safety aspects that you must follow or you can serious wound yourself.
Leave felling trees to an expert, you can get killed if you don;t know what your doing.
Also make sure your tools are sharp, clean and in good working order.
Some other woods you shouldn't burn include osage orange (burns too hot) , tulip poplar (likes to pop and send embers flying)
I know there are some books out there that cover all this but offhand I can't think of any titles.
Good luck and be careful. Enjoy your wood-burning, I know I enjoy how cozy it makes my house feel.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Something I copied and pasted off the internet:

A few species of wood can produce dangerous emissions and most of them have dangerous sounding names, like poison sumac (swamp sumac), poison dogwood, poison elderberry, poison elder, poison oak. The smoke can contain the same compounds that cause allergic reactions on skin, but when airborne can cause respiratory distress if inhaled.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
What are the right size lengths of wood?

The size that fits in the belly of the fireplace about 2-4 inches shy on each side. Usually uniformly cut logs burn best.
Cut thicker ones for long duration, thinner for quick flames.
I.E. Kindling, and smaller piles of branches to start the fire.
I pile everything separate when I split/stack cords for winter.

How thick can a log be for me to throw it in my fireplace?

Everything depends on the size of the fireplace.
But if you split any cut log in 4 cuts, that's usually best.
I burn halves too, but only after I established a good fire.

Can I burn a moldy log?

Yes. But I recommend letting any wet, damp wood drying out.
Try to stick with dry, non-rotten wood. But it will burn.

Can I burn odd size pieces of wood?

Any size or shape will burn.

Should I buy a reflector for my fireplace?

Not needed. Unless it's your only source of heat, buy a box fan.
It will circulate the air better.
If you want to spend the money, sure.

Does it matter what kind of wood I burn?

Like the previous posters, don't burn pine unless you have to.
The tar in the wood will burn and form creosote/ash build up in your flume. Then you will have to clean it on a regular basis.
Fresh cut wood, or live trees burn too, but the same principle applies. Wet/live wood equals poor flame and soot.
Only burn dry, seasoned firewood if possible.
It will give you the maximum heat and coals.

I really don't know anything about fires.

There's not much to know, really.
Just the basics I guess.

Good luck.

Thanks to star in a jar, Terapin and Asktheanimals for all the great information. I think Terapin hit the nail on the head and through the wall into the stud.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Avoid any pressure treated wood for fire places due to arsenic being in the ashes of burned pressure treated wood.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Thank you for the information! There is so much free wood that it just made sence to pick some up.

I bought a rack to stack the wood that I thought would be good for the fireplace and just stacked up bigger stuff on the ground. Do I need to worry about snakes/rats/skunks making their homes in my wood pile?

Someone said that if I lean the wood against the house I would get termites, but I see lots of houses with wood stacked against them.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Sometimes you will run across old fence boards,roof shingles and or old boards that might have been used for building barns..etc.etc. i would avoid using any of these as they may contain some old paints/stains and harmful chemicals that you really don't want in your home..hope this helps

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I might add that a woodstove is superior to burning in a fireplace for heating purposes.

It sounds like you might be getting involved in cutting some wood and there is an art to that. whether using hand tools or a chain saw there are certain safety aspects that you must follow or you can serious wound yourself.

Some other woods you shouldn't burn include osage orange (burns too hot) , tulip poplar (likes to pop and send embers flying)

I hadn't really thought about a woodstove. I was thinking more about how it would look and not so much about heat. Pretty limited view, I guess.

I don't want to cut wood. I was planning on buying a trunk load of split dry wood before the storm created all the cut wood for free. There is so much I can be choosy. I don't see me as being very handy with a chainsaw or an axe.

I guess I will have to try new wood slowly to see how they burn.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Something I copied and pasted off the internet:

A few species of wood can produce dangerous emissions and most of them have dangerous sounding names, like poison sumac (swamp sumac), poison dogwood, poison elderberry, poison elder, poison oak. The smoke can contain the same compounds that cause allergic reactions on skin, but when airborne can cause respiratory distress if inhaled.

Oh my Goodness! Poisen Oak in the lungs sounds awful!! Hopefully people won't put out poisen wood at the curb. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok

I burn halves too, but only after I established a good fire.

I am used to campfires where you can make a fire as big as you want. If I make the fire too big can I break the fireplace? I saw someone with a cracked stone in front of theirs.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Avoid any pressure treated wood for fire places due to arsenic being in the ashes of burned pressure treated wood.

I am putting up a new wood fence. So I guess I can't burn the old boards in the outside firepit.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Thanks. That answers my question about burning my old fence.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Racking wood is a good idea. The most important thing is to keep the wood a bit off the ground so that it gets air. You can do this by simply laying two boards or smaller logs on the ground and stacking on top of them like train tracks. Avoid keeping logs up agains the house as it traps moisture that is not good for your house. Do not worry about any small critters that may or may not decide that your wood pile makes a good home. Snakes wont live there and other animals will only use it as a temporary shelter but not a permanent home. More like a hidey hole.
I grew up in a house that had 6 fireplaces in it. Wood was a way of life for me ever since I was a child. It isn't that complicated, just be safe, have a fire extinguisher nearby, put a screen up before you leave the room as small sparks can spit out and you don't want that. Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Terapin has said it all and I couldn’t agree more. I heat my home all winter with wood and love it.
Just stay away from the pines and clean your chimney every fall before you start burning.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hello, you need 3 things for fire to accrue. Fuel, oxygen and heat. Heat, for initial combustion and rate of consumption. Big logs need more heat/hot coals. Moisture takes heat away.

A fireplace is a VERY inefficient way to sub your heat unless it is an old style tall and shallow box. A wood stove is the best imo.

If you search wood boilers online you should come across some info on wood btu output, oak is best imo.

Dont forget to rap up your potatoes in a few layers of tinfoil and bury them in the coals for a couple hours, nice thick skin

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
reply to post by NotThat

Racking wood is a good idea. The most important thing is to keep the wood a bit off the ground so that it gets air. You can do this by simply laying two boards or smaller logs on the ground and stacking on top of them like train tracks. Avoid keeping logs up agains the house as it traps moisture that is not good for your house. Do not worry about any small critters that may or may not decide that your wood pile makes a good home. Snakes wont live there and other animals will only use it as a temporary shelter but not a permanent home. More like a hidey hole.

It isn't that complicated, just be safe, have a fire extinguisher nearby, put a screen up before you leave the room as small sparks can spit out and you don't want that. Enjoy.

That would have been alot cheeper that the metal rack I just bought!

Snakes make me nervous since there was one in the house this summer. The dogs have found some in the yard. I'm glad they don't like wood.

I had a fire extinguisher in my old house but didn't move it. Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThomasPen

A fireplace is a VERY inefficient way to sub your heat unless it is an old style tall and shallow box. A wood stove is the best imo.

Dont forget to rap up your potatoes in a few layers of tinfoil and bury them in the coals for a couple hours, nice thick skin

It is an old house but I don't think it is tall and shallow. I will look into wood stoves. Thanks.

I love baked potatoes on a fire. All those camping tin foil recipes are great.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Since you're burning wood from fallen trees just avoid any that has vines clinging to it. Poison Ivy will spread in the air by burning as a poster above mentioned. So unless you know what poison ivy looks like just avoid any wood that has vines attached.
As far as getting critters in your woodpile that can be avoided by careful stacking and leaving space between rows. Also put some blocks or bricks underneath the stacks to keep it off the ground. Wood thrown into random piles will definitely attract insects, toads and snakes.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
only thing I can ad is for my wood stove I cut to 18"
let season over summer then split in the fall

not much else to know about wood that wasnt already covered here

top topics

<<   2 >>

join