It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP!!!!!!!What are the best bible help Books. Please help all.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

But to be liberally biased is just fine to you, huh? I'm a pure libertarian. I'm a Ron Paul supporter, Glenn Beck watcher, disliker of Bush 41 and 43, Clinton, and Obama. I don't care about the guy's website. All I care about is what his book says and if they hold water with the bible. You're judgeing the website and the guy for being part of the website, rather than judgeing the book itself. You, my friend, get your head out of the clouds.

[edit on 3/4/2010 by Locoman8]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Locoman8

But to be liberally biased is just fine to you, huh? I'm a pure libertarian. I'm a Ron Paul supporter, Glenn Beck watcher, disliker of Bush 41 and 42, Clinton, and Obama. I don't care about the guy's website. All I care about is what his book says and if they hold water with the bible. You're judgeing the website and the guy for being part of the website, rather than judgeing the book itself. You, my friend, get your head out of the clouds.

No. All I am saying is that his views are politically biased.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
No. All I am saying is that his views are politically biased.

Ummm, the bible is politically biased. It's the worlds oldest conspiracy and is centered around politics.

A sorcerer is a politician. They "cast spells on the people" with their words. They then with these words and this spell gain control over those people, and then with that power go on to expand their power and so forth.

When it comes to ancient symbols that "give powers", it's talking about things like the flag and the cross. The people will follow those symbols, and so the symbols are waved in front of the people in order to gain/maintain control and power.

Jesus hits them at their core and talks about these things when he scolds the Pharisees. The Pharisees were a political movement - look at what they did to have Jesus killed, went to politics.

I have no idea about that book or the author. But the entire bible revolves around politics. From Moses and the "sorcerers", to Jesus and the Pharisees.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Well, that's politics. We're talking about religion here. Lets keep that in mind before looking at one's political views. Most people see christians as conservatives or republicans. Does that mean liberals can't be christian? Of course not. That just means the liberals don't see eye-to-eye with conservatives politically. How about some real bias? The Schofield Study Bible (the norm in the christian religion) is religiously biased and feeds much false information to well-meaning christians. That's some literature worth smearing.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

Locoman, I have just gone out and purchased Shocked by the Bible.Let me review it and I will get back to you. Peace.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

I am looking for what the experts use.

A good expert to read is Gerhard von Rad,
Two books by him I would recommend are,
From Genesis to Chronicles: Explorations in Old Testament Theology,
and,
The Message of the Prophets.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

I am looking for what the experts use.

A good expert to read is Gerhard von Rad,
Two books by him I would recommend are,
From Genesis to Chronicles: Explorations in Old Testament Theology,
and,
The Message of the Prophets.

Is that book Catholic inspired?

Lutheran. Answered my own question

[edit on 5-3-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Okay. Be sure to use your bible to reference what is being said in the book as well. Don't automatically call BS on the book because something said in it doesn't set well with you. Tally up the scores dude! Good luck and peace.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Don't forget to grab yourself a Strongs Concordance.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I would stay away from anything other than the Authorized 1611 King James Bible - you can read why I say this at THIS link.

And get yourself a Strong's Concordance.

The NKJV, the NIV, etc. all of them have replaced words/verses and removed entire freakin' chapters.

With the Strongs' you can look up any word you don't understand.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

NKJV does not remove chapters or words. Instead, it retranslates some words to the correct translation or a modern-english translation that can be more easier understood. Show me one place in the NKJV that there's a lack of verses, chapters, books, or words that are in the KJV.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Be sure to use a wide variety of bible translations so you can reference the one that's easier for you to understand OP. Don't stick to just one translation... though if you find a preferred translation, you should use it for the bulk of your biblical research. Make sure anything you use to establish doctrine is a "literal-to-literal" translation. Examples are the KJV and NKJV bibles. "Meaning-to-meaning" bibles are good for reference purposes but that's about it because these versions can be quite biased and lack some passages. Examples are the NIV, NRSV, and NASB. The third and final translation type is "paraphrased" which is what it implys. It's a bible in which the translator simply rephrases the text in a form that seems more understandable. These are the worst and most biased translations you can get. A good example of these are the Amplified Bible, NLT, NCV, and many others. Paraphrased bibles are good to reference if you want to see a passage in question in an alternate translation. It gives a researcher a different view of what's being said. Just don't trust the meaning-to-meaning and paraphrased translations for doctrinal purposes. Find you a literal-to-literal for your "go-to" bible.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

I do that. I usually stick to the KJV because my main reason for the bible is to better communicate understanding to others, and nobody ever says "Oh KJV, it's blah blah blah", but I do see that some will not accept anything but the KJV. So I generally stick to it.

But if I am having trouble with the meaning of certain verses, or something seems a bit off/odd, I will start looking in different translations to see if they make a bit more sense.

However, in terms of my Paul vs Jesus contradictions - the contradictions are much much worse and obvious in the other translations, especially the NIV.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
The following is not a book; it is a series of audio broadcasts available for free online:

Learn the Bible in 24 Hours

The speaker gives 24 hour-long presentations that go through the entire Bible and give the listener a general gist of it. I don't agree with all the speaker's ideas, but I think its a great way to get a very broad, "eagle's eye" view of the Bible and the way it flows from book to book. This kind of almost "topographical," broad-based view is important to have in addition to more detailed analyses, IMHO.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Get a copy of BibleWorks...
...it contains dozens of translations in a fully searchable format that makes it easy to research topics and get insights into the meaning of words and concepts in the original languages.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

He actually has a book that accompanies it that is very helpful. Chuck Missler has some rather unique takes on some things from scripture, and having it in writing before your eyes makes checking those things out much, much easier.

I will say, having gone through the 24 hours (they actually work out to be about an hour and a half each, but Learn the Bible in 36 Hours just doesn't have the same ring
) and the book, they are some extremely helpful lectures.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
These sites are very useful too.

www.biblos.com...

&

www.biblegateway.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I love biblegateway.... you can look up a passage or book in a great variety of translations. Good reference. Another one to buy is Libronix Digital Library which contains nearly every translation of the english bible you can think of along with the full line of "Strongs" books and "Vines" bible dictionaries. It has a great deal of references and for a price around 20 bucks, yo can't beat it. I bought my copy at a nearby christian book store here in West Georgia.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I am more looking for bible resources. What type of text books do the use in bible college or bible class

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem is very big at Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL, as well as several other theological seminaries. There's another book whose name escapes me that teaches you how to analyze the Bible, questions to ask as you read scripture units, and how to tie the whole of scripture together, but its name escapes me. I can hopefully know after tomorrow night, though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join