It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP!!!!!!!What are the best bible help Books. Please help all.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I'm about to buy alot of books that help me undersand the bible. Like Study Bibles, and bible handbooks, bible dictionaries and stuff like that. I asking others what the best books, which are the most current, uptodate, most informative, that have the best images and charts.

Here are some of the books I am looking at.

For study bibles.

ESV Study Bible, The Apologetic Study bible, And I am thinking of getting also New KJV study bible.

On Bible handbooks I am looking at
Halley's bible handbook, New Unger's Bible Handbook

Bible Dictionaries I am looking at
Holman Illustrated Bible dictionary, or New Unger's bible Dictionary

For Bible Atlas I am looking at Deluxe Then and Now Bible Maps, Historical Atlas of the Bible.

I am also looking to get a great prophecy book but I am not share what would be a good one. Plus I am looking for the best Concordance, topical, Commentary.

I am looking for the best uptodated books, atleast over 2003. The more information with color maps and charts.

If there are anyone that are in college studying the bible maybe some of the books you read I might be looking for. I am looking for what the experts use. Please.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Depends on what you're looking for.. Many religious research texts have a biased overtone.

If you want a scientific study of the history of current religion you may uncover some facts you don't like..

I guess what I'm asking is whether your search is religious, scientific, or historic.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
If you are going to put that much effort into it, then why not just learn the original languages?

Personally, I think the only way to really understand is to seek and find the father. You have to experience John 14, and when you know John 14:20 from experience, and not because men told you, or because you read it in a book - then you will find understanding flowing.

But good luck.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

I am looking for uptodate infomation. Books that acurately help understand the bible and its times. Im looking for great amount of information as well a good images and charts. Books that help me understand the bible and whats others believe.

I am also looking for the best apologetics books.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
reply to post by SantaClaus

I am looking for uptodate infomation. Books that acurately help understand the bible and its times. Im looking for great amount of information as well a good images and charts. Books that help me understand the bible and whats others believe.

I am also looking for the best apologetics books.

I am bothered by your method of questioning..

I hold a religion minor and the more important question is always whether or not you are somewhat afraid of what the truth is.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
I'm about to buy alot of books that help me undersand the bible. Like Study Bibles, and bible handbooks, bible dictionaries and stuff like that. I asking others what the best books, which are the most current, uptodate, most informative, that have the best images and charts.

Here are some of the books I am looking at.

For study bibles.

ESV Study Bible, The Apologetic Study bible, And I am thinking of getting also New KJV study bible.

On Bible handbooks I am looking at
Halley's bible handbook, New Unger's Bible Handbook

Bible Dictionaries I am looking at
Holman Illustrated Bible dictionary, or New Unger's bible Dictionary

For Bible Atlas I am looking at Deluxe Then and Now Bible Maps, Historical Atlas of the Bible.

I am also looking to get a great prophecy book but I am not share what would be a good one. Plus I am looking for the best Concordance, topical, Commentary.

I am looking for the best uptodated books, atleast over 2003. The more information with color maps and charts.

If there are anyone that are in college studying the bible maybe some of the books you read I might be looking for. I am looking for what the experts use. Please.
Those books are great. However, if you really want to dive into biblical understanding you will need a good theology book. Its my personal opinion that catholic theology provides the best insight.
My favorite author is F.J. Sheed. Good luck !

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
If you are going to put that much effort into it, then why not just learn the original languages?

Personally, I think the only way to really understand is to seek and find the father. You have to experience John 14, and when you know John 14:20 from experience, and not because men told you, or because you read it in a book - then you will find understanding flowing.

But good luck.

Yes and the only way to find the father is though Jesus.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus and the father are equal.

John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

The only place one can know John 14 is to read it in the Bible. The Bible is a book.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My suggestions would be generally free. Matthew Henry's commentary is available freely on studylight.org, as well as several other commentaries. That has been an invaluable source for me.

In addition to that, I have an NASB study Bible which provides many scriptural cross references as well as insights from the translators.

One of the best Biblical references I've ever gotten and read is a book called Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem. It is loaded with information, but at the same time, reading through the chapters reads like a devotional. Which is to say, it reads like someone's praise report of God, but at the same time really goes into depth into the content of the Bible as a whole. That has been, however, the most expensive Bible reference I've bought, at about $60. So totally, completely worth it, though.

As to Biblical authority and accuracy, Josh McDowell's books Evidence That Demands a Verdict as well as a Ready Defense (the first is his lecture notes, the second a more flowing readable book) have proven invaluable. I, unfortunately, discovered them after I'd already become convinced of the accuracy and authority of scripture based on research spurred on by discussions here at ATS, but they are still an invaluable resource.

There are others, but if you're really looking to get to know the scriptures, those have been the most helpful guides I've run across.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

I suggest Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told which has many informative facts about the bible. I can only warn you that you may be upset with what you find out due to many "traditions" that christianity has put in the minds of people over time. It is written by Joe Kovacs who happens to be a journalist and executive news editor for WorldNetDaily. The book's website is: www.shockedbythebible.com....

Other resources that can help are:

Vines Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words
Strongs Exhausted Concordance
New King James Version Bible with Center Column References

I don't recommend study bibles because they are all biased... especially the Schofield Study Bible which is what most KJV bibles have for study parts. The apologetic references are good to have. I also recommend some bible resources from the church I follow. You may think it's biased but these booklets cover a vast range of topics and give you the biblical references to back up what is being said. Also gives you some historic references to give further research. Check out

www.ucg.org/booklets
www.gnmagazine.org
www.tomorrowsworld.org

These booklets and magazine subscriptions are completely 100% free and there is no soliciting by them. Please take time and read what they have to offer. At least check the facts with what they say. You can order the booklets to be mailed to you or you can download the booklets in pdf format. You may also just read them online immediately if you choose. It's a great place to start some true bible studying. Good luck to you and God bless you.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
Yes and the only way to find the father is though Jesus.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus and the father are equal.

John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

The only place one can know John 14 is to read it in the Bible. The Bible is a book.

No. Jesus is defining himself there as the way, the truth and the life for a reason. It is by seeking out those things that he is talking about. If such was not the case, then he would have not defined himself as such before the colon, or had a reason to do such.

And as I have pointed out to you many times before, John 14:24-26 proves this.

While the only way you can know that Jesus said John 14 is to read the bible, but it's not the only way to know what he is talking about, or to have the experience itself. Which again as John 14:24-26 points out when he says - those who have not heard his sayings.

Now, more proof of this is slymattb himself. He obviously knows all that you are talking about, yet he is still looking for understanding. Because he knows he does not know the father. Yet here you are telling him that he needs to do what he has already done to find the father - of which he has not found.

Seek to know and understand the way. The way men must act towards each other in order for their to be real peace and a society that would be considered "heavenly". A society without evil. And seek to know the truth about reality and what you are etc. If you knock, the door will be opened. How else do you think you knock on these doors?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
How about we forget about arguing biblical points and help the guy out with some true study references for him. I don't mean to be rude but there are too many people hijacking threads as of late by going off-topic. There are plenty of threads to discuss John 14 or whatever you want to discuss. Let's give the OP some references to concentrate on. Peace.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
To the OP:

I also recommend using multiple versions of the bible. For instance, I have the following translations:

New King James Version with Center Column References
New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha
King James Version
New World Translation (Yes, the Jehova Witness Bible... just for references)

These bibles are good to have to parallel with each other. Some translations are better understood than others. I must warn you to check you original meanings with the hebrew and greek in some cases. The best rounded book to go by in my opinion is the New King James Version because it's easy to understand and follows extremely close to the original texts. It's also very easy to follow with the original KJV because it follows the same pattern and flow of the original KJV.

Good luck on your search and God Bless You.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Now, more proof of this is slymattb himself. He obviously knows all that you are talking about, yet he is still looking for understanding. Because he knows he does not know the father. Yet here you are telling him that he needs to do what he has already done to find the father - of which he has not found.

No, I am saying that to gain a deep rich understanding of the Bible, (no maps,charts,diagrams ect are going to give you this, and I agree with you) one must study the theology behind the bible. Your saying that the father has given you this knowledge. Most of us are not that lucky. However, I disagree as to the understanding as to the "theology" the father has given you and had to point this out.This is not arguing biblical points as locoman puts it, and is not off topic as if someone who really wants to understand the bible must first acknowledge the fact that Jesus and God the father are one in the same

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Locoman8
How about we forget about arguing biblical points and help the guy out with some true study references for him. I don't mean to be rude but there are too many people hijacking threads as of late by going off-topic. There are plenty of threads to discuss John 14 or whatever you want to discuss. Let's give the OP some references to concentrate on. Peace.

But it is on topic. John 14 is the verse in the bible that talks about gaining understanding by an actual experience.

Why would you send someone elsewhere when John 14 talks of the experience in which understanding is gained?

Unless of course you think the experience being talked about isn't real.

But whatever.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
No, I am saying that to gain a deep rich understanding of the Bible, (no maps,charts,diagrams ect are going to give you this, and I agree with you) one must study the theology behind the bible. Your saying that the father has given you this knowledge. Most of us are not that lucky. However, I disagree as to the understanding as to the "theology" the father has given you and had to point this out.This is not arguing biblical points as locoman puts it, and is not off topic as if someone who really wants to understand the bible must first acknowledge the fact that Jesus and God the father are one in the same

But I do not think I am that "lucky", or unique. That is my point. I don't think what I experienced is that which only "I" am to experience, capable of experiencing or needing to experience. If I did, then I wouldn't say anything at all in regards to people seeking out such an experience.

That it is talked about in John 14 is what blows me away. And in John 14 it is speaking of an experience, and I am only trying to testify that the experience being talked about is real. And part of that experience is the gaining of understanding about things. Meaning, that which is asking to be taught in this thread is taught in that experience.

Aside from that, when I found the father I was looking for the truth about the world, I was looking for the way men needed to be/act and so on, not "Jesus". I found the father, and the father taught me many things, of which Jesus no doubt represents and "is" in this manner. But you are reducing those things into being "Jesus", rather than expanding "Jesus" into those things.

But I'll shut up now and let the thread be about books only.

[edit on 3/3/2010 by badmedia]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I get it that John 14 is about gaining understanding and knowledge but I don't think helps the OPs purpose if we argue about it or what it means. It just further confuses people.

And to oliveoil... nice move trying to throw in your own peice of doctrine in this thread by saying the Father and Jesus are one and the same. I've pointed out many times how this is not true. They are one in purpose but they are not the same being. One of the interesting facts you'll find in the book "Shocked by the Bible". Peace.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
In my opinion there is no better bible aid than this book.
Use your own personal bible and look up all the scriptures as you go through it. You will learn so much.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5271c9f140c3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I get it that John 14 is about gaining understanding and knowledge but I don't think helps the OPs purpose if we argue about it or what it means. It just further confuses people.

And to oliveoil... nice move trying to throw in your own peice of doctrine in this thread by saying the Father and Jesus are one and the same. I've pointed out many times how this is not true. They are one in purpose but they are not the same being. One of the interesting facts you'll find in the book "Shocked by the Bible". Peace.

Your endorsing a book written by an editor for the World Net Daily? Get real.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

You wanna knock the book before you read it? Typical of a blind christian. Check the book out and check the facts with the actual bible and history. Please elaborate on your comment?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

reply to post by oliveoil

You wanna knock the book before you read it? Typical of a blind christian. Check the book out and check the facts with the actual bible and history. Please elaborate on your comment?

Oh please, This has nothing to do with being a christian. Everyone knows that the World Net Daily is conservatively biased. Pull your head out of the clouds dude!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join