It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Australian Fish Fall & Charles Fort's Reply

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Fish also survive out of water for a LONG TIME - they breath air, however will drown due to excessive amounts of oxygen - anyone who has ever fished can tell you this.

Would fish survive for a longer time at higher altitudes?

Less oxygen, colder tempertures.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
When I said distribute, I was thinking more along the lines of fish launched from a trebuchet. Oh I loved AOE2..
But seriously I don't believe this article. Big, intact fish leads me to believe they did not fall from the sky.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Haven't read entire thread yet but wanted to get this idea out before i forgot it...

WHAT IF, fish are sucked up out a river, lake, ocean, etc by some kind of natural phenomena ie: water spout or similar.

THEN what if most species are thrown instantly back out into the water from whence they came (potentially due to different body mass, etc), except for the fish which eventually rain down later on.

Now for the big WHAT IF - WHAT IF this particular species of fish can actually LIVE and SURVIVE inside the cloud for extended periods.

They survive inside the cloud, in the moisture rich storm cloud, until they eventually fall out of the sky again.

Could explain the single species and maturity thing.

I no, there's more holes in it than swiss cheese, but just something i thought i'd put out.

EDIT TO ADD: Forgot to add that i really like the time slip theory posted on the first page. Perhaps there are only a few places on the earth that have this natural 'worm hole' and one of them is underwater....

[edit on 1-3-2010 by srsen]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayaboveitall
Doc velocity, methinks you read too much into it and make many assumptions.
You give too much credit to accuracy, validity, truth of what is reported...
Nothing fortean about it mate, unusual yes, mysterious no.

If I was not a student of Charles Fort and William R. Corliss, and read such stories at face value, I, too, would easily discount them as mere sensationalism.

But, when you start plowing through the volumes of reported sky falls of all kinds, your skepticism will be eroded.

Really large items falling out of the skies is another, more difficult area of Fortean lore. As when a 5-ton block of limestone fell out of a clear sky and landed in a cultivated field in India (as recorded by Fort).

This story made it into scientific journals of the time.

For those who are not geologically savvy, limestone is not a naturally-occurring mineral, per se. Limestone is, rather, a sedimentary rock comprised almost entirely of the microscopic skeletons of living creatures. Limestone is a type of stone that is fabricated by living organisms.

And a 5-ton block of it fell out of a clear sky in India.

Which would indicate that, perhaps, there are limestone asteroids in space, the fragments of destroyed worlds that were alive at one time. That's one theory.

It might indicate that a ferocious volcanic eruption had cast a 5-ton limestone boulder high up into the sky, and that the boulder came down in India. But, of course, there are no volcanoes on mainland India. There are only three volcanoes that India claims, and they are all islands (the Andaman Islands) created by volcanic activity. Meaning they would contain no limestone.

Aside from that, there were no reports of ferocious volcanic eruptions and no reports of similar ejecta raining down from the sky in India. Just the one limestone boulder.

One last, more modern theory is that a meteoric impact somewhere in the Indian badlands may have tossed a chunk of terrestrial limestone high up into the sky for it to fall elsewhere on the Indian subcontinent.

A fine theory. However, a meteoric impact energetic enough to eject a 5-ton boulder high up into the sky would leave a very noticeable crater, probably about the size of the Barringer Crater in Winslow, Arizona, which is almost a mile across and about 600 feet deep. This would represent the greatest meteor fall in modern times, IF it actually happened.

Of course, there is no fresh, Barringer-like crater anywhere in India.

So, the mystery of the limestone sky fall remains a mystery to this day.

Certainly, most scientists approached the case with a very narrow and dogmatic preconception, as did the astute fellow who announced: "There is no limestone in the sky. Therefore, this limestone did not fall out of the sky."

Yeah. THAT solves it.

Unfortunately, it's this same sort of preconception that taints Science to this very day, and especially where sky falls are concerned.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/1/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Oooh, I'll throw in a new theory! This limestone boulder was ejected by a volcano or meteor collision long in the past, but reached a near escape velocity, and was a natural satellite of the earth for a long while, with a gradually decayign orbit!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

The fish are of the same type and age because they are being sucked up from the surface of the water where schooling fish tend to congregate - this also explains why they are the same type and age as schools tend to be of the same age and are always the same type.

Pretty darn simple really - why are you all so eager to be led astray ??

But how could something as chaotic as a water spout produce such uniformed results (sucking up only one type of fish from a single school)?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

As when a 5-ton block of limestone fell out of a clear sky and landed in a cultivated field in India ...

... the astute fellow who announced: "There is no limestone in the sky. Therefore, this limestone did not fall out of the sky."

I love that.

"There is no limestone in the sky, therefore this limestone did not fall out of the sky."

It's just so there and not here.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
Oooh, I'll throw in a new theory! This limestone boulder was ejected by a volcano or meteor collision long in the past, but reached a near escape velocity, and was a natural satellite of the earth for a long while, with a gradually decayign orbit!

Yeah, I thought of that one, too. But an impact that launched one 5-ton block of limestone into low Earth orbit would have launched many such beauties into orbit, yes? As well as a few billion tons of smaller fragments.

While it is known that the Earth has two moons — oh, yes, you didn't know that? — it's unlikely that particles of the second moon are raining down on Earth.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Come on people please - the fish are not going to die from falling from that altitude - they have an incredibly different nuero system to humans - secondly they would not be up in the air that long - they are literally being hurled through the sky - thats it - not held their indefinitely. Fish also survive out of water for a LONG TIME - they breath air, however will drown due to excessive amounts of oxygen - anyone who has ever fished can tell you this.

The fish are of the same type and age because they are being sucked up from the surface of the water where schooling fish tend to congregate - this also explains why they are the same type and age as schools tend to be of the same age and are always the same type.

Pretty darn simple really - why are you all so eager to be led astray ??

Ohhhh, maaan.... So, you actually believe that large, multicellular living organisms can be vacuumed off the face of the earth, held in suspension high above the Earth's surface for 2 days, and then fall back to the hard surface from a mile in altitude and survive?

And this is based on WHAT Science? Please link me to the scientific forum that expounds upon such matters, because I'm not aware of its existence.

I think that such assertion is more like urban ignorance than anything else.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
hey doc,

what if it was a "DON'T beam me up!" situation?
especially the meat falls.

i know this has been around for a long time, before our tech.

naw, that many hundreds of years, we should have sorted it out.

but it does seem like an experiment, after all we are 90% water or something and all these fish etc, would seem like a control group.

just a thought.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

While it is known that the Earth has two moons — oh, yes, you didn't know that? — it's unlikely that particles of the second moon are raining down on Earth.

— Doc Velocity

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
Now for the big WHAT IF - WHAT IF this particular species of fish can actually LIVE and SURVIVE inside the cloud for extended periods... They survive inside the cloud, in the moisture rich storm

That's a very Jovian theory, large multicellular organisms that can survive in dense clouds of water vapor — I mean, I like the theory, I've liked it ever since Carl Sagan first talked about such creatures possibly inhabiting the clouds of Jupiter, way back in the early 80s.

However, if there are species of fish capable of surviving in the clouds, then there are also species of crabs and frogs capable of living there.

And, you know, if it wasn't for the terminal velocity fall back to Earth's surface, I might even cautiously entertain the notion of an aquatic life-suspension zone high up in the clouds.

There are many weird things that fall out of the sky, however, there are also some things that just don't make sense.

There was an incident on the Bolivar peninsula, across the bay from Galveston, Texas, at the famous Bolivar Lighthouse. I believe this is a 20th Century story. Um. It rained oyster shells and nails on the Bolivar Lighthouse.

Oyster shells and nails.

You would have to be a Bolivar resident to know that there is nothing around the lighthouse, no way to hide a catapult or a trebuchet or a great big goddamned slingshot. The lighthouse sits by itself out in the midst of a saltwater marsh. The lighthouse has a pretty colorful history on its own, being a contemporary of the pirate Jean Lafitte, who ran his ships through and around Galveston Bay as a home base.

There are some who claim the bizarre things that happen at the Bolivar Lighthouse are ghostly in nature. May be. But at least a few of them are Fortean.

Oyster shells and nails raining against the lighthouse in waves, on successive days.

Here are the questions:
Why? How? And then for good measure HTF? (HOW THE FEKK?)

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Well Doc, methinks you and likeminded folk have developed a natural aversion to prosaic explainations for simple things.
Whats more likely? waterspout or mysterious timeshift?
Even the prankster idea is more likely.
Naturally not everything falls into the mundane, like a 5 ton block of limestone, but this dosent mean everything similar 'Must' of mysterious origins.
meat falls could just aswell be explained by destructive cyclonic winds killing flocks of birds for example, more likely than meat falling from another dimension, no matter how bizzare, I think.
notably you ignored my suggested explainations.

What I would like to see are some thoughtful witnesses collecting specimens of these living sky falls for DNA analysis. I mean, through comparative DNA tracking, a competent scientist could trace a species of fish to its home body of water, right?

not in this case since the species are found across a vast range.
Dna sampling is expensive, who is paying? write a check mate. Besides, most 'normal' people except the likely prosaic explanation, so theres no call for it.
Meat falls on the other hand, Id agree with you, out of sheer curiosity.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Dna sampling is expensive, who is paying? write a check mate. Besides, most 'normal' people except the likely prosaic explanation, so theres no call it.

I tell you right now, if somebody would package up those goddamned perch and ship them to AgriGen Biotech, right there in Australia (which I imagine somebody has already done), then I would PAY for the gene sequencing (which aint really all that expensive, mate, on an agricultural level).

It's human gene sequencing that's expensive. Agricultural gene sequencing is pretty commonplace and isn't going to break the bank.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
So contact the paper and make your offer/enquirey already.

You are still ignoring my suggested explainations.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I have to admit, the scientific explanation does not make much sense to me. But neither does any of the other possible explanations speculated upon in this thread by Doc and others. The problem is, that some of you here are rejecting the theory science provides for this phenomena and trading it for something else that is just as unfounded and mostly unrealistic.

Some of you are saying: Well, I dont believe its possible for a school of the same kind and size of fish to be sucked up from a pond, spend a day or two floating around in the clouds, then somehow fall slow enough as to not obliterate upon landing. I think a better explanation would be that holes are opening up in time-space and bringing these things here from the future.

Now that just dosent make any more sense than the first explanation, does it? There have been alot of wild stories of different things falling from the sky, but no links or follow-up information that shines a light of truth upon any of it. While I understand that alot of these stories are coming from an author that writes about unexplained phenomena, I still would like to see some sort of supporting evidence of the claims in the stories being told. This would lend a bit of credibility to a line of stories that seriously need it.

I definitely believe that there is more to this phenomena than is being reported, and I also believe that the official investigation into these types of events that Doc is clamoring for has already been done. The fact is, the official explanation is bunk and likely just a hastily prepared line of BS to appease the masses. I think there is something strange happening here, but we'll probably never hear it from anyone from the science community as long as there is any good reason to hide the truth. Just my thoughts, thanks for the interesting thread.

I definitely think

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
But how could something as chaotic as a water spout produce such uniformed results (sucking up only one type of fish from a single school)?

Well... Exactly.

Since when do tornados exhibit surgical precision pertaining to items that are vacuumed aloft? I know, the anecdotes abound of tornados causing selective damage — a two-story house is exploded to splinters, but the birdhouse (with eggs intact) on the back porch was not even touched.

You know there are many, many, many documented examples of bizarre physics in tornado lore. Straw pushed through solid wood. Fact. Seen it with my own eyes, it wasn't a hoax. Straws passed through glass without breaking the pane. Fact. Saw it on a farm in Texas. You'd have to see it to appreciate it.

Another, less-reported trick of tornados is that of ripping individual blades of grass out of the ground over large areas, leaving weird "mowed" patterns in the grass, and even igniting fires on the ground as they pass.

Now, I mean, this is way out tornadic activity. Talking about, maybe, wind speed exceeding 300 mph at ground level in a Class 5 event on the Fujita Tornadic Scale. Don't you think a 300 mph wind could start a fire?

HELL YES, it could.

I mean, you've gotta put this into sweet perspective: Many of you may have encountered a 100 mph wind, and you know it'll just about knock you off your feet. Those of you in the Northeast and Great Lakes and the East Coast and Gulf Coast of the USA know all about 100 mph winds. We done been there. Many times. 100 mph wind is eminently damaging, but very survivable.

Now, step it up to 200 mph wind. You do not see 200 mile-per-hour winds very often. This is the sort of stuff you see in a Class 5 Hurricane. Buildings go away, the wind is so strong it carries the sea — very frightening, to put it mildly.

Step up to 300 mph winds and I think you enter another realm of physics.

The sheer friction of a 300 mph wind could ignite any available and ready fuel source. Aerial photography shows great swathes of burned landscape following a tornadic event. No, not burst gas lines and downed power lines, but big burns across the land where the tornado touched down.

Where it walks, as the Indians say.

I winder if the tornado is generating plasma as it crunches and twists and folds reality.

As it does.

We know that fire is a plasma, and we know that fire behaves very dangerously like tornados... For your consideration:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/faf0a2585283.jpg[/atsimg]
That's a picture of fire acting like a tornado. No joke. A Fire Tornado. Nice visual, anyway.

As all this pertains to the OP, HOW does a LIVING CREATURE (a fish), minding it's own business in a billabong in northern Australia, manage to get surreptitiously vacuumed up through this poorly-understood fiery physical phenomenon known as a tornado, get held in aquatic suspended animation for 2 days up in the clouds, and then be ejected from the sky, like a meteor, and arrive ALIVE back at ground level?

I mean, you've really gotta work at it to sweep away the repeated falls of obnoxious and annoying substances from the sky.

Yes, it's easier to say "Oh, we overreacted to a partial news item based on a dubious truth related to a bit of gossip from the other side of the world."

Yeah. That's fair enough. I mean it.

But, when you sit down and index these cases, count the quaint little things falling out of the sky, and compare them to each other, don't you start to see a pattern of delivery?

If so, it's an area of study that's not well-attended. Except for here and a few other innocuous sites.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

You are still ignoring my suggested explainations.

Well, what am I supposed to do with your explanations? Yours are the same as the common explanations. Not to piss in your shoe, mate, but common explanations are a dime-a-dozen, easily picked up and pitched away, right?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
"There is no limestone in the sky, therefore this limestone did not fall out of the sky."
It's just so there and not here.

I love that pronouncement, it's a classic Fortean quote.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
I think a better explanation would be that holes are opening up in time-space and bringing these things here from the future.

Are you, like, ME from the future posting back on my own thread under a different screen name?

Hey, don't laugh, I've had this happen a couple of times already. And, yes, I practice a kind of remote viewing that presages events in 2010

I get answers from myself on a regular basis, which is how I know so much about everything.

— Doc Velocity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join