It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami Hit New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
tsunami hit New Zealand's eastern Chatham Islands, with officials warning of bigger waves to follow.

Tsunami warnings have been issued for South American nations as well Hawaii, Australia, Japan, the Philippines, Russia and many Pacific islands.
Sorry about the broken link
I tried to get infomation here is more information for now

www.malaysianews.net...

Although unless it was a missprint and that is why I am having trouble relocating the article it said a 20 cm that was on skynews.com
trying to repost it

www.skynews.com.au...

Hope this helps please read as I don't know very much about the measurements ... I could of very well messed up myself ..phone ringing grandson in the background LOL just trying to have a normal day...

Title edit - meters to cm's

[edit on 27/2/10 by masqua]

[edit on 27-2-2010 by NorthStargal52]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
link is broken and you say 20 meter and 20 cm wave has hit...So errr which is it?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthStargal52

There is a massive difference between 20 metres and 20 centimetres.

Your title will have the doomsday people crawling out and saying the end of he world is nigh with the current title.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I'm surprised this thread hasn't got over 100 replies and around 50 flag's with the current title so far.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
A 20cm Wave hit the Chatham Islands earlier, but since then they have recorded a 1.5 metre wave.

this suggests the waves are getting bigger and New Zealand is on alert for this reason.

Civil Defence Minister John Carter says the first wave which reached the Chatham Islands was just 20 centimetres, but the second was half a metre. He says a 1.5 metre wave has now been recorded at Pitt Island. "The point for people to understand is that there's going to be different flows. They're going to be variable. And that this is serious

www.newstalkzb.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
That is because everybody is watching live webcams on Hilo/Hawaii.

Of course, the wave is only 20cm.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
People praying, pray on through.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Starting to be many earthquakes around the world now...I feel for the people in those places...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Does this effect all of New Zealand or only certain part. I live in Auckland so what is going to happen, do I need any preparations for anything?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

All of New Zealand should be prepared. Reports are coming in of larger surges now across the country.

Don't go near the beaches all day.

Waves could get larger as the day goes on.

read this -

www.nzherald.co.nz...

and listen here for live updates and witness accounts from across new zealand -

www.newstalkzb.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Thanks man appreciate it, my family don't even know yet, my uncle lives close to the beach he might know, I will give him a call as well.

Thanks again.. getting scared now lol

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

No worries. I think as long as people are away from the beach fronts and river mouths, all will be fine.

They have had regular news bulletins on TV1.

g

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Thank you for your input as I can only handle one thing at a time when I was in the process of posting all sorts of things were happening phone calls comming in I have friends in Hawaii so it's been a concern I am trying to stay on top of this ....

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Thanks man appreciate it, my family don't even know yet, my uncle lives close to the beach he might know, I will give him a call as well.

Thanks again.. getting scared now lol

TV one just showed some footage around Auckland of a swell hitting a beach (not sure of the location, looked like the same one the tv1 reporter from earlier was standing infront of), wasnt a biggie so i wouldnt worry to much, although they could get bigger they say.

Was basically really choppy water, I wouldnt worry to much.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Thank you for setting it straight !!!!!
This is in fact what you folks would of read had the link I tried to put up that did not work .... I appologize for all the confussion

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Thanks for the info.

I guess they are saying the maximum height it can reach at NZ distance is 3 meters which is around 9 foot. I suspect three meters is not that devastating, I hope.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Keep in mind that the tsunami that did all the damage in Hawaii in 1960 was the 3rd wave, as had been posted on a few of these threads I have seen. I wouldn't call it safe just yet.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish

Keep in mind that the tsunami that did all the damage in Hawaii in 1960 was the 3rd wave, as had been posted on a few of these threads I have seen. I wouldn't call it safe just yet.

Now you scared the sh1t out of me lol thanks for the info though

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Third wave hit Hawaii ages ago and the surfers look like they are now hitting the beaches

Hopefully this is a case of better warned and a good drill

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
A 20cm wave ?
Oh golly !
New Zealand is doomed by an eight inch high wave.
Run for the hills.

new topics

top topics

join