It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

From the smallest observable length, the Planck length, measuring 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001 meters; to the greatest length, the length of the whole Universe estimated at 930.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 meters: there are many zeroes, many orders of magnitude that mey be difficult to grasp

I origionlly found the link here
The Scale of the Universe: from yocto to yotta

But the actual flash application is found here
It is a really cool way to put scale into perspective. This is what the interface looks like
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2059cd6a0cb7.jpg[/atsimg]
You slide the bar at the bottom to zoom in and out, It is pretty cool, check it out!

-E-

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Thanks for the link....that was really interesting!

I think I'll share it with my students.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Good Idea! I think that would be great for students to see! It took me a very long time before I was able to grasp the concepts of just how small and large out universe can be!

-E-

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

You know, I still don't think I have a real grasp of that....but this will definitely help put it into perspective.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
That thing is wicked, only thing that bugs me is the end. Estimated size of the universe? Thought it was infinite ha. But ya its good to put a cap on it for the sake of people's sanity. PS is that the music from Spore?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
How did you miss the existing thread? If you type "scale of the universe" in the search box, this is the first thread to come up:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And it has a more complete title than this duplicate thread also. It's a cool app though.

But this thread is a duplicate.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Looks as if you have discovered fractals.

We are not really all taht insignificant becuase we are only accustomed what our eyes see according to scale.

The bigger picture is almost too beautiful to look at or too big to see I am not sure which.

new topics

top topics

join