It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The idea of Flying Saucers pre-1940s

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

I think like you also, diference is you explain very better then me, my english is horrid
Thank you

[edit on 23/2/10 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hedera Helix

Thank you very much mate,
Coll link also

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
reply to post by spacevisitor

diference is you explain very better then me, my english is horrid

Thanks for your kind reply Umbra Sideralis,

I do my best, but you know, it cost me really a lot of time to produce even one reply and during my writing in Microsoft Word I also use some word translation programs on my computer in order to understand their real meaning.

So its also not easy for me .

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
I skipped ahead on this thread, so apologies if this is redundant. Jacques Vallee wrote a series of books examining flaps of airships going back to the Middle Ages. The medieval airships were just that: medieval ships that floated through the air. His best work, a culmination of his researches is called "Passport To Magonia," in which he draws parallels between modern UFO encounters and folkloric accounts of Fairyland. The airship flaps of the 19th Century are intriguing because they often describe a proper dirigible, although they hadn't been invented yet.

Yes airships indeed - right before the time actual zeppelins/blimps came out officially.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

definitely the best picture in this thread

And here's a list of UFO sightings by astronomers. I'm not sure how credible it is, so if you know anything that could prove this list wrong, feel free to.

www.scribd.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Great thread mate.

Its got a propeller on it but heres an interesting one from the cover of Popular Mechanics magazine, September 1930:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dfe02a918b0f.jpg[/atsimg]

Pre-1947; 19th Century - UFO Sighting Chronology

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Hold it..

There is something interesting in that pic. to see. It shows a single wing aircraft in a time that non existed. Also, it shows a more probable aircraft shape to use in an atmosphere based area (like earth) then a saucer. Does anyone here know simular sightings and their relative time and locations?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Here in Norway and Sweden UFOs before 1947 were called "Ghost Rockets" , there were loads of sightings:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AncientShade
It shows a single wing aircraft in a time that non existed.
Do you mean like a flying wing?

There were some made during World War II.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Acharya

That's an interesting photo of a "Ghost Rocket", I had never heard that term before, but it sure looks like a meteor to me!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
That's an interesting photo of a "Ghost Rocket", I had never heard that term before, but it sure looks like a meteor to me!

Hey bud, theres some interesting reading here about the 'ghost rockets' not being rockets -theres also this great thread by Serbsta:

World War II: Secrets of the 'Ghost Rockets'

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The disc shape isn't anything new take the story of the Utsuro Bune from 200 years ago in Japan.

Japan's Utsuro Bune Encounter 1803

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by avat178

That was not a UFO, it was seen floating on the water, not flying, if my memory serves me well.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Just my two cents. There are much older reports of "flying shields" which could indicate a disc shaped flying craft, or a celestial body like the sun or moon.

Those descriptions make me wonder if maybe army men were tossing around their round shields once in a while and noticing an aerodynamic effect. After all, the Roman discus used for throwing in the Olympics was disc shaped.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acharya
Here in Norway and Sweden UFOs before 1947 were called "Ghost Rockets" , there were loads of sightings:

en.wikipedia.org...

I posted a story about the ghost rockets here some months earlier.
Several others postte it also, some even before me.

I believe that we should focus much more on pre-rosswell incidents
I believe so for several reasons. For starters, technology was limited back then, yes that means less good measuring equipment but also much less distortion caused by human technology (e.g. stealthplanes)

I believe that those cases also were less media-hyped and for that less contaminated. Everything dating later then Rosswell is contaminated by people thatwant to stand in the spotlights or are hoaxing for getting into it.

The Ghost Rockets are a interesting case because material was actually found, many different witnesses saw it over many months and it was also heard. Several investigations were made, and the US responded a littlebit too late and couldn't cover it all up or prevent credible evidence from vanishing. It is solvable if we just focus hard on it.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Maybe one of the oldest terms for a ufo is chariot, as in the bible?.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My Contribute as i was going to make my own thread about this in a way

Cover for Marvel Science Stories, April/May 1939. Art by Norm Saunders

And From this article !

Just WOW

Remember this is From the Year 1928 .. Mind You

Story Short called : Modern Atlantis

A Platform in the Ocean for Planes aka Like a Aircraft Carrier but more Permanent
Modern Atlantis

A Ray Gun Like Tesla's

Story Short : Second Swarm

A Submarine Spacecraft !

WOW bring in the cargo

Battle Cigar Shape Spaceships and a Space Fighter that looks similar to an X plane
X29 - X35 Lightning Douglas X 3 Especially the X 24 B

Its interesting to know that those Little Green Men aka Aliens from Another World in...

Amazing Stories / Quarterly
Weird Tales,
Galaxy,
If,
Fate,
Fantastic Adventures / Universe.

... and Other Pulp Fiction Magazines of the Time before the Comic Book really became a Craze

In these Science Fiction Pulp Fiction Magazines what ive Notice is... that Most of The Aliens were Waist High with Large Heads and Large Eyes and Similar to a EBE & Grays.

Also to Note:

What ive been Noticing in the 1920's and 1930's of Pulp Fiction Sci Fi is Alien Sphere Spacecraft in which in World War II During and After had the Foo Fighter Craze. And the Foo Fighters had the Same Resemblance what is in These Pulp Fiction Mag's.
Especially : Amazing Stories !

I might Make a Different Thread in the Future to Continue to get more into detail of these Awesome Pulp Fiction Magazines.
to me the Ideas of Invention are Amazing way before its time !

Kinda of a Life imitates Art kind of thing ..

Right now Im Trying to find a Pulp Fiction Magazine that has on the Front Cover Some a Space Ships
that looks Identical to the X20 USAF X plane that was ( Never Built just Prototypes Mockups ) a Space to Earth Reentry Vehicle.

If Anyone Saw the Movie called :: Marooned that was made in the Late 60s it looked like that The Space Reentry Vehical
( aka Rescue Craft ) also it Resembles the X38 a Reentry Vehicle for the International Space Station to bring back the ISS crew

OK OK I found it !

Here it is !

Similarity to a X20 ? X38 ? X Plane Reentry Vehicle !

Amazing Stories Crusade Across the Void October 1942

The Year 1942 let that Sink in ! ,,

To come to think of it it Does Resemble like the Amazing Stories Space Craft
Compare the Nose Piece ! Picture the Glass in Amazing Stories craft is just one solid Piece ( No Canopy glass )
ok now Compare the Bottle Dolphin looking Nose exactly the Same .. does it Not ?

x38

Like in the Movie Marooned
x20

X24A

Space Planes
abyss.uoregon.edu...

So I Guess in this Case Life Does Imitate Art

So the Did the Drawers & Designers Read Amazing Stories ?

edit on 1-9-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)
edit on 1-9-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I appreciate the flying saucers or discs are mentioned earlier before 1940s.
At the same time, I have read hundreds of sci-fi books dated from second half of 20th century. Most of them don't deal with flying saucers at all. Rather speak directly of interstellar civilizations and their quite advanced transportation spaceships and planetary transport systems, different from what we know today, different from saucers too. There were no little green men in those books either. They discussed civilization issues between men and machines (computers today) and more. I wonder why those excellent and very popular authors up until 1980s were forgotten in post cold war era. Because the contact with the saucers would arrive every next minute? Horror stupid cheap movies with rotating saucers and screaming people, or what? It didn't happen in that way. Or because the Star Wars era eclipsed any other Sci -fi writings with all of its visual super effects but very low level of actual intrigue? Let go back to the core research of people like Sagan (wormhole in Contact), Arthur Clarke (within the solar system), Isaak Asimov (galactic in scope), to mention a few good ones. They presented a picture of other worlds, indeed only on paper (now electronic) without special visual and sound effects that one should imagine. They had no way to know all of that information only by their human imagination. THEY WERE INSIDERS, as Carl Sagan is known to be a such. Avatar is one example when sci-fi authors (Strugatzki) are brought on the screen. It looks different and exciting. Perhaps more exciting is when we sit down and read the real books. If anyone reads anymore...Then we will know we are not only surrounded by "ships or saucers" but there are real civilizations and even federations who do care what happens on earth. Perhaps much more informed of every single move of every individual than we could imagine. So it is a good think to know saucers and cigar shaped craft is out there. But I also want to know the civilizations being out there or down here, and when they will finally show up in public contact.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Skyfloating

Yes Arnold's sighting was the first to gain such publicity but saucers were seen a lot before his sighting.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

Well there is some in Pulp Fiction Sci Fi Magazines ( Pre 1947 ) of what is known as a Flying Saucer ..

just have to look but one thing there is a lot of since the 1920s in Pulp !

What is called FOO Fighters ! During World War II of what WW2 Pilots of both sides of the War American British Russian German Japanese have claimed ..

Balls of Light ... to Metallic Looking Flying Sphere's

In Pulp Fiction Science Fiction Magazines from Cover Art to Inside illustrations from the 1920s 30s 40s

Either there Must of been a lot of Delusional WW2 Fighter and Bomber Pilots to even Bomber Gunners
going in and out of reality reading Pulp Fiction Magazines During the War. or Conjured up from Reading Pulp Fiction Mags from their Dads collection 1920s to their collection 1930s or They Actually Saw them tho what about the Photos of them Near World War Two Planes !

Just one of Many.

July 1931 Amazing Stories

Some WW2 Foo Fighters in Photos on these sites

Just a Questionable if real or not real ..

FOO FIGHTERS
www.santafeghostandhistorytours.com...

FOO FIGHTERS
WORLD WAR II UFO'S BEFORE AND AFTER
sped2work.tripod.com...

Foo Fighters
(And other Strange Objects in Wartime Skies!)

This section should be read in conjunction with
Pilots Sightings on this website.
www.thewhyfiles.net...

Here are Some Pulp SCI FI Covers from Amazing Stories from the 1920s

from 1926

Flying Saucer >?

1927 or 8 ?

edit on 18-9-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join