It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under plan, intelligence agencies would be consulted before reading of rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Under plan, intelligence agencies would be consulted before reading of rights

www.washingtonpost.com

The Justice Department and the FBI will consult with the intelligence community on information about terrorism suspects arrested in the United States before deciding whether to read them their Miranda rights under a plan now under review in the White House, according to senior administration officials.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yeah... um, well....

I'm thinking about what life would be like living in Sumatra. perhaps Fiji. Lord knows most places on Earth are probably becoming better places to live than the United States.

The U.S. used to be a country the world loved, and wanted to become a part of. Apparently, many of those immigrants came here and somehow brought the oppression of their former countries with them. now America lags behind many nations regarding Education, Employment, Intelligence, Freedoms, Rights, and Opportunity. This country is losing it's self awareness and slipping into the dictatorship mold that is heavily lined with fascism.

Now they're looking to take away someone's Miranda Rights - WHO IN THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE THAT HOLD THE AMERICAN LEADERSHIP?

None of them, NOT A DAMN ONE OF THEM are vaguely interested in upholding the American constitution, American responsibilities, and American Security through domestic investment and sound economic policy.

None of them are remotely interested in the constituants that "voted" them in, and are, en masse, corraling Americans into a corner that inevitably is going to violently snap back into their faces. I know I for one have, first hand, witnessed the legislative fascism that has taken the place of the legislative freedoms I once enjoyed.

I was GUARANTEED that those BASE freedoms would never be taken away from me as a Citizen of America, however, these things are what's going on.

I HAVE BEEN LIED TO, AND IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN, SO HAVE YOU!!

It's time for action, Who's going to lead damn it, I WANT ANSWERS PEOPLE!

I'm an American, and I'm going to act alone real soon.

"Evil abounds when Men of Good Nature Fail to Act". I am a man under God, and as such, MUST - in good faith and good conscience - act upon the things I see. Otherwise I would commit a sin so grave that forgiveness just wouldn't be in the cards for me.

That's how it is. Are you people going to let me act alone?

email me, or send me a U2U if you know of something that I need to know too. As for any of you fascist government panzies that might read this...

DON'T TREAD ON ME!

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Somehow these folks are under the impression that if they don't read you your "Miranda Rights", that they can toss you in Guantanamo and that you no longer get a trial or anything. I've got no idea where they come up with the ideas to make this stuff up. Ok, I lied, I know where they get these dumb ideas from.

Imagine some cops stopping you on the street in America, and then being flown down to Guantanamo Bay with the logic being that they can do what they want since they didn't read you your "Miranda Rights". That's the kind of logic they follow here in America, the land of the free.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This is probably in response to so much outrage across the country when they gave the Christmas Day Bomber his Miranda Rights when he wasn't a US Citizen and he was trying to kill hundreds of Americans. Terrorists who want to kill Americans on our soil and who would like to destroy our way of life, deserves NO rights at all. The Constitution was written for American citizens, not for those who want to destroy us.
I could see this being taken advantage of though by TPTB. They could label anyone a terrorist in this situation and deny anyone including Americans their Miranda Rights.
If you are an American Citizen you should always have your rights, but if you are a terrorist you should have no rights. This will surely be one of those things that will be taken advantage of by TPTB.
While this is a good idea for terrorists, it will turn into another way that Big Brother can have control over the population. This is something to keep a close eye on....

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Explanation: If for some bizzare reason I [as an Australian] was arrested in the United States of America, then I would be claiming My Constitution rights under the 14th amendment to the US constitution!

Specifically...Sourced from 14th Amendment to the US Constitution [wiki]

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Personal Disclosure: Regardless of whether they read me my Miranda rights or not, I do know my US Constitutional Rights. They can't take what I already KNOW away from me!

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

That is it exactly

Not reading someone their Miranda Rights is a LONGGGGG way from "Taking Their Rights Away"

A heck of a long way

Miranda only applies when their is Custody and Questioning anyway.

So, to make it simple

Not being read your Miranda Rights in no way takes anything from you

Semper

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Greetz once again everyone...

Miranda only applies when their is Custody and Questioning anyway.

So, to make it simple

Not being read your Miranda Rights in no way takes anything from you

no, it also takes away your right to remain silent, whereas silence now will represent an admission of guilt...

I wonder about the Attorney clause - imagine the scope of that loss...

I'm really interested in why you folks feel that the eradication of yet again another individual right is o.k. - This one historically having become known as an American icon - glorified by movies, and one that gave us, the American Citizen, a final stronghold related to the 'innocent until proven guilty' concept that American Justice originally became known as 'fair and impartial' with.

Not any more...

Next, watch them re initiate the vote and then pass the Domestic Enhancement Security Act, and then start destroying American's by the family when they strip them of their citizenship with an unchecked claim they are 'terrorists'.

How many times do we watch the T.V. show COPS, and watch the violations against citizen's rights blatantly exposed?

How many American Citizens really understand the protections Miranda rights gives them?

Yeah, it's o.k. to get rid of another one of our freedoms, isn't it ATS?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

whereas silence now will represent an admission of guilt...

Ridiculous and not even close to being true

feel that the eradication of yet again another individual right is o.k.

Miranda is NOT a RIGHT... Sheesh... It is a Warning

A Miranda warning is a warning given by police in the United States to criminal suspects in police custody, or in a custodial situation, before they are interrogated

Due to the prevalence of American television programs and motion pictures in which the police characters frequently read suspects their rights, it has become an expected element of arrest procedure. In the 2000 Dickerson decision, Chief Justice William Rehnquist wrote that Miranda warnings had "become embedded in routine police practice to the point where the warnings have become part of our national culture." Dickerson v. United States 530 U.S. 428 (2000). However, police are only required to warn an individual whom they intend to subject to custodial interrogation at the police station, in a police vehicle, or when detained. Arrests can occur without questioning and without the Miranda warning—although if the police do change their mind and decide to interrogate the suspect, the warning must then be given.

Miranda

I just went and checked the Constitution

Guess what?

The word Miranda, or name actually, does NOT appear there

Semper

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

How many American Citizens really understand the protections Miranda rights gives them?

My guess would be 0.. Zero...Zilch

Exactly the same number that receive any rights because of Miranda

Miranda does NOT afford protections people

It advises you of your rights under the CONSTITUTION

Sheesh

Semper

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
While Miranda varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and department to department, the fundamentals are all essentially the same

Here is what my department mandates

"You have the right to remain silent"

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law"

"You have the right to an attorney"

"If you can not afford an attorney, one will be appointed to represent you if you so desire"

"If you decide to answer questions, with or without an attorney present, you can stop answering at any time"

"Do you understand?"

The Rights are afforded by the Constitution, not the Miranda Advisory

Semper

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
lol... wow, who are you? you pop in and out like the genie from a bottle!

ok... WHO'S RUBBIN' THE DAMN LAMP!! =)

by the way.. Mr. Constitution,

under current law, IF an arresting officer DOES NOT afford you the reading of your MIRANDA RIGHTS, the case, no matter if it's a murder case even, will be thrown out of court.

I know this from first hand experience.

SO YES, IT IS A RIGHT!

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

under current law, IF an arresting officer DOES NOT afford you the reading of your MIRANDA RIGHTS, the case, no matter if it's a murder case even, will be thrown out of court.

Wrong again

Under numerous jurisdictions, NOT ALL but many, if you were taken into CUSTODY, and QUESTIONED, the two requirements for the reading of your rights, whatever you said could POSSIBLY be excluded as "Fruits of the Poisonous Tree"..

If that was all the authorities had in that case, it could well be "thrown out" although "Dismissed" is the more appropriate term.

However you could still be prosecuted if the case does not depend on the statement alone.

Who am I?

I'm the guy that has been in Law Enforcement for 24+ years and taught Constitutional Law in two different academies and two different states. That's all...

Semper

[edit on 2/14/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
from the American Bar Association:

What are Miranda rights?

Police generally read these rights to individuals about to be questioned in custody. "You have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you desire an attorney and cannot afford one, an attorney will be obtained for you before police questioning."

The Miranda rule was developed to protect the individual's Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. The Miranda warning ensures that people in custody realize they do not have to talk to the police and that they have the right to the presence of an attorney.

If the Miranda warning is not given before questioning, or if police continue to question a suspect after he or she indicates in any manner a desire to consult with an attorney before speaking, statements by the suspect generally are inadmissible at trial—they cannot be used against the suspect.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Exactly what I have said several times above..

Perhaps you could read my posts? It would help

Semper

top topics

join