It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can only reply if you joined pre-2006

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Ya I miss Howard.. I wonder where he is.. Interesting OS'er to say the least...

I miss Griff also and WCIP... anyway...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
It's very interesting to compare registration dates to responses in this thread. I notice some trends.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
*waves at OP*

HI!

I'm illiterate and can't read, but I can write....

can you tell me what I just wrote?

Yeah, you've been here for awhile, congratulations !

I bet things back in 2005 were really cool, huh? People could smoke pot on the forums, pass beers around and laugh at folks like Ron Paul and Art Bell.

I'll have to admit that Art Bell was just as funny back in 1982 as he was in 2008, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I joined in 2004 but don't say much, I just like to read about things here.
There has always been insults and what not.
Welcome to earth.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I was not a member in 06, 07, or 08.

But yet, I still replied.

I think this little fact proves your title to be a hoax.

After checking your long list of "important threads" such as-

"Realistic Big Foot locations"

and

"Name the bands you are embarrassed to like"

I am left wondering, how do you see yourself as anything better then the new-jacks spewing worthless information?

Eh...though I wasn't a member in 06, I HAVE been reading here for many years. There is no change in the level of stupidity or irrelevance of "most posts" here.

Perhaps you are just "painting yesteryear" nicely and forgetting your own lack of "popularity or importance"?

Takes more then a few years under your forum-belt to become someone worth a flag.

Good luck trying to achieve a "welcomed status" while delivering such hard-hitting posts like these.

Eh...what do I know? I'm new!

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I think some people that are new that do reply are interested and want to know more. And they are trying to get involved.

Oh and I joined in '07 is that good or bad?

[edit on 29-1-2010 by sd7000]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It's all about the quality, not when someone joins up. If someone is a good poster, they are a good poster. Remember, we all didn't discover this site back in the day. Some of us took a little longer.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Good post. Just because someone is new doesn't mean you should attack them.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
In the ATS world..you are as successful as what you post, not when you joined.
Freakin wow...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
as being one of the worthless after 06 joiners

I am wondering if you also sit around and bore your family with stories of glory days...that never really happened

Is there some point you were trying to get to with this thread...I may have missed it

However, fortunately for all of us, there are other threads that do, in fact, have substance, and are more worthy of all of us who aren't in your club, and don't want to be

don't get any on ya

buh bye

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I see this on every site i've ever been on!

Like a rotation, every couple of years the older members moan how 'it aint like it used to be' and the new ones are like 'I think it's great' then the cycle repeats!

Think it's a way of marking your territory and saying 'we were here first' like you feel your position is in threat!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
There are many members I could think of that joined after 2006, that are superb, and I'm certain a few mods/supermods are in there as well....

The community seemed smaller, and the prolific posters were fewer, which lent more familiarity, but that was really what garnered the "good old days"... Also, there was a different world back then...

The one thing I'd really like to see come back though...the WATS award... I really think that was a great incentive....

EDIT: Holy cow! I joined in 2002? Yikes...

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

What is the WATS award??
I have never heard of it til I read your post.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
There was a purge about 2004 and quite a few members left or were banned.

I was a member originally in 2003 before I forgot my screen name and password.

Some of them contributed significantly and the others were human hemorrhoids.

I believe it had something to do with the Serpo fraud and Project Camelot.

Or something related to that.

There are a coupe of forums that were created from an alliance of the banned members.They have pretty much become stagnant.

I personally check the OP's join date before reading the thread.

It is quite prejudiced of me but it is true.

ATS's claim of having a large number of members is misleading.

If you look at their "statistics" it is weird.

New member accounts: Past 7 days: 3,677

New member accounts: Past 30 days: 2,511

Doesn't the last 30 days also include the last 7 days?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Something to think about: If Stephen Hawking joined ATS today and started posting in the Science forums, would he be "just a n00b"? Or if William Cooper were alive today and joined ATS, would his opinion hold less water since he'd only just rocked up?

I remember when I joined back in '04 ATS was like a small city. Even then, threads very similar to this one were periodically posted, bemoaning how ATS had changed, hankering for how ATS was back in the "olden days of '99 to '01" - back when everyone in town knew everyone in town, when folks were polite and as they passed shouted, "Mornin'!".

The thing is, ya can't stop progress, and ATS is now a bustling metropolis - a status which has its own pros and cons. Sure there's more noise and congestion and you maybe have to shout louder to be heard over the rabble, but greater numbers brings greater variety and more interesting folks from all around the globe, all of whom produce more ingredients to throw into the intellectual melting pot. ATS is certainly different to what it has been in the past, but better or worse? Well that depends on your personal experience and perspective.

This thread reminded me of the Wayback Machine. Plug in the ATS URL for a history lesson or a trip down memory lane, as the case may be. --> Wayback Machine

Now, I'm off to post a "You Can Only Reply If You Joined Pre-2003" thread.

...umm....err...hmmm... ...oops...

[edit on 2010-1-29 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

What is the WATS award??
I have never heard of it til I read your post.

WATS = Way Above Top Secret Award...

It was a monthly award, where a member would win depending on how many members/staff voted for him/her.. The winner got a medallion on their avatar, and it was really just a bragging right...but also an earned one. Then, there was a yearly one as well. It really (I think) helped bring about some good posting efforts...

With the new site tools, this could be even better, but I'll pitch it in a more formal manner than here in BTS....

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You should, we need WATS back.

We need something to reward BTS posters. I love BTS, and it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Detailed Perfection
I don't post a lot because I'm not one to quickly jump into every thread and state my thoughts about it.

Wait ... I'm not supposed to post everything I think?

But how will the internet go on?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

The above a perfect example of what a poster post 2006 that has continuously added to the quality of the boards looks like, I will tell you now that schrodingers dog is destined for moddom, if he hasn't turned it down already.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Everyone is so defensive. I never put down a new member. Maybe you could say the word "newbie" has a derogatory slant to it. So for that i maybe should have said "newer members" instead. I certainly believe i have read several threads and replies from new members that are excellent. I was meerly pointing out the change in the culture this site has undergone, and was presenting this question to older members who were around back then. If you weren't here, then you can't know what I am talking about.

Furthermore, i think i have been exonerated by the replies of older members, while the newer members have attacked, put down, and chastised me, thereby basically proving my point.

I never claimed to be a great writer,poster or debator. I have contributed very little considering my time here. Really been more of a lurker. But i do remember a time when i couldn't wait to check the site because I knew there was gonna be hours worth of info to pour over from the great threads started, and its just not like that anymore.

Wish this could have stayed in ATS because i think it is a relevant discussion there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join