It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can only reply if you joined pre-2006

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
What a strange thread title.

Perhaps What do older members think of ATS now? or

The good old days of ATS or something would have been better/

Telling people they CAN'T do something is guaranteed to enrage or divide people... As you can see in this thread.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Gazrok

You should, we need WATS back.

We need something to reward BTS posters. I love BTS, and it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

I SECOND THAT WHOLE HEARTEDLY.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Your probably right.

But it wouldn't have been near as much fun.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Whatever happened to WATS, anyway?

PS: Don't shoot me for being 2006.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Russian soldier

It went out when they started that star system thing.

WCIP whats up long time never see.

[edit on 1/29/2010 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I've been good, just busy. How about yourself?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Whatever happened to WATS, anyway?

Lack of participation and a clear winner, towards the end of it...so it was phased out.
I have learned that there will be something similar in concept, coming soon, in the new revamp, but can't really say more than that at the moment.....

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
its funny you say that, i speak with a lot of pre 2006 and they treat us just the same, i think ATS is an amazing site, so as far as you ive been here 30 days and i have this to say for myself so far

Flags: 211
Stars: 242
Threads Started: 78
Total Replies: 1,632
Applause: 1

some may no be quality, but at least i contribute instead of just complain

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I joined ATS after 2006..... Am I a "noob"?

Or am I different? If I am different please explain why...

Just know that there is no actual relevance to the idea that the longer you have been on ATS, that the better or more important your content is...

In all honesty I think a person who thinks that another persons thoughts and ideas are less important some how because they are a newer member than you... is the true noob...

Not to mention that such a though goes so far against the idea of denying ignorance.... Hmmm, by your logic I would have thought a pre 2006 member would have known that.... I guess not.

Perhaps then, your logic is flawed....

[edit on 29-1-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zoso28

I'm an old timer and if I may, I think I deserve some credit for helping bring in the snotty, confrontational, arrogant approach we now enjoy here at ATS.

I've got the red flags, warnings, and almost ban to prove it.

I sure miss some of the old banned members. They were clever, intelligent, funny, take no prisoners kind of folks. That was their downfall of course.

It seems now that their is a much more lenient approach of the T&C from moderators.

I once received a red flag, warning and point deduction for calling someone a "Mook"

www.urbandictionary.com...

Those were the good old days!!

[edit on 29-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Just know that there is no actual relevance to the idea that the longer you have been on ATS, that the better or more important your content is...

In all honesty I think a person who thinks that another persons thoughts and ideas are less important some how because they are a newer member than you... is the true noob...

Not to mention that such a though goes so far against the idea of denying ignorance.... Hmmm, by your logic I would have thought a pre 2006 member would have known that.... I guess not.

Perhaps then, your logic is flawed....

[edit on 29-1-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

Are you for real? Where did i ever say your opinion mattered less if you joined after 06. And as far as me not denying ignorance are you kidding me? I think as a moderator you would be better than that. My point is and has been since the start of this thread that the culture here has deteriorated to insults and the like. If my logic is so flawed, why did you even respond and why are you so defensive? And why do you accuse me of putting down post-06 members when i never said any such thing? Who's being ignorant now?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have nothing to contribute in here, I just have zero control over the urge to defy the thread title. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread pretty much sums it all up.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zoso28

By joining ATS I helped to turn it from a small community that members who have been around longer then I have remember to what it is today . People come and go from forums just like they do in other aspects of life . The only bad that has happened while I have been a member is the canning of the separate AP board .

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
M'friend, these are the "good ole days".

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
WCIP whats up long time never see.

Oh, old WCIP is here my friend. Lurking... watching... waiting... sometimes napping... actually mostly napping... sometimes drooling...

[edit on 2010-1-29 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I knew I had originally joined at the very beginning after hearing about it on the radio.

I found the member list and thought I would spend some "quality" time trying to recognize my first screen name.

Didn't take me long and gave me a laugh. I used my first name! What a dweeb I was back then.

I joined this forum originally on 1 July 2002.

Ah the good old times.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Nope. Not different at all.

Let's put it this way...you're a moderator, and yet...your post is confrontational, you apparently managed to find the original post offensive and turned around a perceived insult by implying the OP was a noob, basically insulting him by stealth. I'll grant you that your approach was more clever than some of the other posters in this thread, but your message was the essentially the same: Disagreement, insults and angst.

Go through all four pages and look for any post from anyone registered pre-2006 and tell me if you see any insults, any anger, or anyone who disagrees or argues with the OP.

I don't see any.

But plenty of that from the 2007-2010 crowd. A few examples:

Bizmyth, Registered: 17-11-2009: this post
Accuses OP of being an elitist and attacks him for barely getting in above the bar he set

SonicInfinity: Registered: 15-3-2007: this post
Accusses OP of baiting other users

Common Good: Registered: 15-11-2008: this post
Turns it around on OP and accuses him of not contributing and calls him wet behind the ears

Damian-007: Registered: 27-11-2008: this post
States that the OP is "president of the Whiners and Complainers club"

stalphos: Registered: 27-6-2008: this post
Accuses OP of trying to "stir up trouble and upset others"

Do you notice a trend? Seriously...look through the thread. All of the people flinging insults, getting angry and arguing with the OP are relatively more recent members. Sure...not all of the more recent members are doing so. It's about half and half. Some are quite polite. But, none of the older members are getting angry or insulting the OP.

Instead, the pre 2006 posters are posting things like:

ThichHeaded: Registered: 30-7-2004: this post
Just checking in. Answers the OP's question with what he knows.

LordBucket: Registered: 4-7-2005: this post
Answers the OP's questions in detail.

Tayesin: Registered: 1-9-2003: this post
Encourages people to be polite and think before typing, and cautions against taking anything too seriously.

Once again, do you see a trend?

Why do you think this is?

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I hope I did okay ... zoso28 even friendered me, and I him.

I think perhaps what this thread has shown more than anything else is not so much that peeps are more or less confrontational than in earlier times (I mean I read all the tbaats/witd/cointel/etc... threads so it's not like you guys were kumbayaing 24/7
) ... rather I think it has shown that we're waaay more predisposed to assume the worst intentions from someone's OP, lest they bend over backward to placate everyone with endless qualifiers.

It's unfortunate really, for my part it's been a valuable lesson.

Heck the OP actually sequenced the words "point taken" ... I haven't seen such a thing since I joined. It really took me a while to process and eliminate all possible sarcasm permutations. I'm still not 100% sure but what the heck ...

[edit on 30 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Some of us learned early to pick our fights where it was useful and help where it was useful..

Us older members didn't mean for it to go down the way you showed it.. its how it is..

Granted if you look at some of my very old posts(even some current ones) you will see I got heated about some things (They call this passionate..) but you know, why small simple things like this is bothering people I donno.. The guy wanted to talk to older members he got a war.. Lack of exp and idiocracy fails sometimes but what are you going to do.. Thats what makes the world such and ugly place anymore cause people do not think...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join