It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Multiple fatals in central Va. shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Police: Multiple fatals in central Va. shooting

news.yahoo.com

APPOMATTOX, Va. – A lone shooter was responsible for multiple deaths and injuries Tuesday and more than 100 law enforcement officials had him circled in the woods where they believe he is hiding, state police said.

A spokeswoman could not say how many were dead or injured in the shootings or what sparked the violence.

The gunman also fired at a sheriff's deputy and a state police helicopter, which had to land with a ruptured fuel tank after one or more rounds struck it, the spokeswoman, Corrine Geller, said. No police were injured.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I just got back from school and saw this on the Yahoo News. The details about it are not out yet.

Once again theres another muliple shooting. Its been only just a little bit since the GA. shooting and the St. Louis shooting and the Las Vegas shooting to. So far 2010 has had a streak of gunmen shooting multiple people. Ive said before that I was expecting to see more of this stuff and it is happening more and more now.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
My dad works at a Harley Davidson dealership in Lynchburg and a state trooper told him about this earlier today.

Call me morbid, and I have no idea what any of this is about, but I hope the guy gets away, just because of how much publicity this has already gotten, to show that law enforcement is not infallible. But he's got his work cut out for him if he's already encircled by 100 officers.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I havent heard of this anywhere other than Yahoo News so far. I got fox on my tv but theyre not talking about it at all. From the way they covered the St Louis shooting and the Las Vegas shooting, I would expect them to be all over this. I guess since its getting into the evening, they dont want to interrupt their prime time shows.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I just saw a local press conference on TV, and they're saying they have the guy surrounded but they're not sure where exactly he is though they are "fairly confident" that he's still in the woods.

He's in a rural area and they said he appears to know the terrain there pretty well.

They also said as darkness is approaching they're calling in more "resources," by which I suppose they mean some kind of night vision.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I recall someone predicting this for 2010 as these shootings will pave the way for increased gun control. The question is who or what is causing all these people to go cuckoo....hmmmm

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Probably more dogs and helicopters. Im flipping thru the channels where I am but I cant find a peep about it.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Poopra

Well, it's VA, so the proximity to D.C. makes it pretty suspect in itself.

Hopefully, people won't blame this on guns. We all know, however, that it's Nabisco's fault I'm twenty pounds overweight.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Poopra

I would suspect its the economy leading people to going crazy and then they end up shooting up their work. Or it could be that some people just cant take it anymore and lose control.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Ok so lets get the points we know so far..

* Lone gunman surrounded in central Virginia near Appomattox after killing multiple people and injuring others, state police report - AP

* Virginia gunman also fired on state police helicopter, forcing it to land with fuel leak

* More than 100 officers being used to track suspect in wooded area.

* State police spokesman in Virginia won't confirm or deny whether there are 7 dead in Appomattox shootings. Suspect not in custody

Various sources, AP news, CNN, And BNO + Skynews

[edit on 19-1-2010 by asala]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
2:58 p.m.

From our newsroom at the Lynchburg News & Advance:

Media has been moved away from the a house on Snapps Mill Rd. in Appomattox Co. because authorities say it’s too dangerous at the scene.

Police have not released any details on the incident, but neighbors report hearing gunshots. The neighbors also said that a family of four lives at the house. Law enforcement officers were seen heading into the woods near the home with rifles.

7:30 p.m.

By Lynchburg News & Advance

State police still are not saying how many people are dead in a shooting incident near Spout Spring in Appomattox County this afternoon that has sparked a manhunt involving well over 100 officers.

www2.wsls.com...

[edit on 19-1-2010 by 5 oClock]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Poopra
The question is who or what is causing all these people to go cuckoo....hmmmm

Until we know how many were killed and his relationship to them, its going to be hard to tell.

If its his own relatives he has shot up, I dont think there is much room for a conspiracy there. If they are just random people, then its a good question. Although I tend to suspect that just the media coverage on all the other mass murders tends to make some of these nuts decide to go big when they get into a murderous rage. Why kill one person when you can kill 50 and get a place in history at the same time?

Edit; one too many O's.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I'd take a guess the chopper ran out of fuel. and to save face there now saying it was "shot at" until the backup arives, by which time the suspect will be gone and they'll simply find a scapegoat for all of this instead.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
100 officers? What the hell.

That's, a lot, of police.

Why does it have to take a shooting or public march to bring out 50+ officers, but when someone really needs the police they won't even fart in your direction?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Nothing new, just wanted to post the vid. since I just drove through there around noon on my way to Richmond.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock

Media has been moved away from the a house on Snapps Mill Rd. in Appomattox Co. because authorities say it’s too dangerous at the scene.

I am so tired of that. We as a country, liberally deploy journalists to wars on the front lines. We promote transparency and expect journalists to uncover vicious schemes and plots from all angles of the spectrum of news. However, when it comes to controversial times of crisis such as a shooting, something the news hounds over for weeks at a time, it's always guess-work.

Like the Fort Hood incident, news crews had no idea what was going on, ever. They reported false news several times until "all of the sudden", the real story got released. I'm tired of this obvious nonsense.

If the police were really so concerned about the safety of the journalists, instead of trying to collaborate their own sequence of events amongst their badge-wielding brethren, then why are they never concerned with anyone else? Like Virginia Tech, where they all formed a perimeter outside, and even with tons of armed officers they decided to wait it out until body after body piled up.. ?

Why is this not talked about more?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Sounds like Rambo: First Blood.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I gotta tell ya, I drive through Appomatox quite frequently and from what I see, I think the locals could probably handle themselves as far as firepower.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Is it me or is it just a little odd that we are not hearing much coming out of this?

Normally in such an event where there are multiple deaths we kinda have it all over the news non stop for a while, UK news was covering it so odd its gone pretty quiet and no more news or confirmed deaths at this moment in time,

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Its taking a pretty long time for information to come out. It started around noon to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join