It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Hoax of the 21st Century: 2012 Armageddon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't know who started this 2012 doomsday hoax but whoever did must be filthy rich selling all those ebooks.

The claim is that the planets will allign with the center of the galaxy and somehow that will destroy the earth.

WRONG

Ask an Astrobiologist has received more than 2500 questions about Nibiru and 2012, with more than 200 answers posted. Here is one of the more interesting ones...

Hi, i have a question about the sun alignment in the center of the galaxy in 2012. Will the sun be in the EXACT center of the galaxy? or just lined up/next to the center of the sun. If you can, can you explain this to me.

The response was

There is no alignment with the center of the Galaxy in 2012 or any time. As to the Sun being in the center of the Galaxy, that it impossible; the Sun and solar system will always remain at about 30,000 light years from the galactic center. These stories on the Internet are simply lies, and I am sorry if they have been a problem for you. A lot of the stuff on the Internet is wrong, and you have to learn to distinguish the truth from the lies.

astrobiology.nasa.gov...

So as you can see there will be no allignment ever. I'd really like to get my hands on the phony who started this. God help me.

I'd much rather take word from an astrobiolgist then some nut job on eBay trying to sell his fake 2012 books.

Something to think about next time someone tells you the world is gonna end.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

An economics major.
Put his skills that he learnt to good use it seems.
www.sitchin.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

It was the ancient Mayans who started this whole 2012 'hooey', but I would say that it's still too early to claim that it's "The Greatest Hoax of the 21st Century". Can't claim something to be a HOAX before it is supposed to occur... Now if we are all still standing and nothing has happened by 12/22/12, then you might have a claim here...

In the meantime, I'm going with "Saddam Hussein has WMD's" as the current "Greatest Hoax of the 21st Century" until something bigger comes along...

Just sayin'...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

the reason i started reading ats was this 2012/niburu idea but have found its a fantasy people are making themselves beleive so as of late im more interested in the real demise of our global economy and increasing weather phenoms to pick a date for the end of the world is just proving and has been proven in the past to be well a lie

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Man caused Global Warming might be in the running, don't you think? Considering the effect that this silliness might have on economies world wide...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I agree 2012 is not going to be the end of the world.....

all the Mayans really said was that it was going to be the end of a age and the start of a new one.

whoever takes that and says the world will be blown up, or all life made extinct, is clearly deluded.

i am far more interested what is going to be going on in 2011, rather than 2012 to be honest.

personally i think time as we know it is accelerating and has been since the beginning of our history.

very very interesting calendar, that far too many people just "overlook".

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I will have to second seagull's nomination, stating that what damage or problems have occurred because of the hoax.

AGW-biggest hoax this 21st century.

Also, I would like all threads that do not call it a hoax to be labeled a hoax.

Wait, didn't someone do a thread on that.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
In the year and a half I've been a member, 2012 threads/ posts seem to be getting fewer and fewer as we get closer to 2012. If you close your eyes and listen carefully...shhhh...you can hear the soft shuffle of feet as the 2012ers leave the room

No Planet X. No Nibiru. No approaching anunaki. No Higher Vibrations.

The believers will all deny they ever believed 2012 and feel stupid inside for being taken for suckers. The brighter believers won't be fooled again...the other foobars will sign up to the next big BS idea.

I reckon Apophis might be the next sand trap for the gullible

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

YES an awful lot of people have got very rich by peddling half baked ideas of what some cultures believe.
Yes the Mayan calender does run out in 2012.
Did you also know that there is some theories out there that claim the calender was infact created by the Olmecs.
I know that the Mayan's believed that in 2012 the sun will come to the end of its 5th phase.
Who knows what will happen then, maybe something maybe nothing. I can't see into the future as I am not a prophet.

Good level headed thread here SuperSlovak.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Man caused Global Warming might be in the running, don't you think? Considering the effect that this silliness might have on economies world wide...

Here Here,
I think it is in first place so far with Iraq and it's lack of WMD's a very close second.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The mayans said absolutely nothing about Niburu nor have they profited.

Terrence McKenna unintentionally arrived at Dec. 21 2012 using an equation based on the ancient I-Ching in the 1970's. He died years ago and was never rich. He never mentioned Niburu.

Opportunists definitely took advantage of that information, but I doubt if any of them got rich. Do you have any evidence of people getting rich selling 2012 crap?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak

Hi, i have a question about the sun alignment in the center of the galaxy in 2012. Will the sun be in the EXACT center of the galaxy? or just lined up/next to the center of the sun. If you can, can you explain this to me.

The response was

There is no alignment with the center of the Galaxy in 2012 or any time. As to the Sun being in the center of the Galaxy, that it impossible; the Sun and solar system will always remain at about 30,000 light years from the galactic center. These stories on the Internet are simply lies, and I am sorry if they have been a problem for you. A lot of the stuff on the Internet is wrong, and you have to learn to distinguish the truth from the lies.

You just proved that you know nothing about it and also that "astrobiologist"

No one thinks that on 2012 sun and planets will be in the center of galaxy (which is of course impossible).
Theory is about aligment with center PLANE of galaxy.

And mayans believed in apocalypse on 2012 not only in end of some phase.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Um... You do know there's like 100 different theories for what might happen in 2012? Some of them actually make scientific sense (unlike the galactic alignment or Nibiru crap).

Have you heard about the Clif High theory that ties in the twisted magnetic field lines of the sun with the lack of sun-spots, as well as the earths deteriorating magnetosphere? This theory makes a ton of sense, and actually seems possible, but who knows what will really happen.
www.halfpasthuman.com...

BTW, I vote for 9/11 as the greatest HOAX in history.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zmurfix

In order to be in a plane don't you need three points of reference? It's been a long time since high school geometry...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zmurfix

The next time you lol/mock the details or accuracy of a good member's post...read your own lines first

Same rules apply to me. If you can provide any credible evidence that Mayans 'believed in apocalypse on 2012,' I'll look a fool and so will Slovak.

If you can't...you should check your own facts before criticising others.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by Zmurfix

In order to be in a plane don't you need three points of reference? It's been a long time since high school geometry...

Our galaxy is flat spiral, so there is some "center plane" ( like from top view) but is her exact position really known??
I can´t say it because I don´t know. Maybe some little research ...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This might contain a few different ideas and trains of thought, so hold on. Nothing too exciting though:

I could be wrong, Deny, but I'm pretty sure the 2012 movie made a bunch of money, no? I don't think the "prophecy" was created TO make a bunch of money, but I do bet, and this is just a guess, that a bunch of people have added to the hoopla with the intention of making at least a few bucks. I don't really blame them. I wish I could do something like that. Remember that magazine, Weekly World News, that dealt with a bunch of these "alternative" topics? They made money off of stories like this. They also sold merchandise, like t-shirts. I don't know. I find the idea of the 2012 thing interesting, if not far-fetched. However, referring to one of the first posts, if not the first post, I don't think the idea of the sun being in the middle of the galaxy meant the MIDDLE. I think it meant on the median plane, if you look at the galaxy as a disk type shape. People on ATS explain it better. Oh, and here's what I actually think about it: Hypothetically, IF being all aligned and stuff were to have such impact on us, then I don't think it would fall on a particular day (unless there were ALIENS
that were going to come mess with us). If the gravitational pulls of everything were going to wreak havoc, I'm pretty sure, just a guess, that being reletively close would do all the damage, and that it wouldn't JUST SO HAPPEN to fall on the solstice. When we got close, like at the VERY LEAST, a month or two, if not a year, THEN things would start happening. I mean this is on a galactic scale. Not just in our solar system. Am I making any sense? I don't know.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Zmurfix

The next time you lol/mock the details or accuracy of a good member's post...read your own lines first

Same rules apply to me. If you can provide any credible evidence that Mayans 'believed in apocalypse on 2012,' I'll look a fool and so will Slovak.

If you can't...you should check your own facts before criticising others.

It was shown and explained on one documentary on National Geographic channel. Here is how they imagined it.

"Page 74. of the Dresden Codex, depicting a great flood, flowing from mouth of celestial dragon. This represents the Central American notion of apocalypse."

"The Dresden Codex contains astronomical tables of outstanding accuracy. Contained in the codex are almanacs, astronomical and astrological tables, and religious references.The specific god references have to do with a 260 day ritual count divided up in several ways.The Dresden Codex contains predictions for agriculture favorable timing. It has information on rainy seasons, floods, illness and medicine. It also seems to show conjunctions of constellations, planets and the Moon. It is most famous for its Venus table." (quotations from the Wikipedia article Dresden Codex, accessed 11-30-2008).

source:
historyofscience.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wow. People type quick, making some of what I wrote, old news... Sorry... This will also probably be old, but a plane is just 2 dimensional. Just flat. So, to add on to "the galaxy will align with the center plane": The solar system, as far as I understand it, while rotating around the center of the galaxy (much the same way as the Moon around the Earth, or the Earth around the Sun) follows a path that traverses the "plane," so you could say, if it weren't in space, that the solar system, at most times, is "above" or "below" the center plane of the galaxy. Am I making any sense? I don't know.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Zmurfix

It's always a bit comical to see people debunk theories that they obviously have not understood, but unfortunately it's not that uncommon - even among trained scientists.

The gist of it is that the solar system moves up and down in relation to the plane of the galaxy. A full up & down motion takes around 62 million years.

But as far as I know, no one knows exactly when we'll cross the equator of the galaxy, though I believe we are in the general area.

(Note however that I am no astrophysicist, nor do I claim to be one

[edit on 13-1-2010 by MrVertigo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join