It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Just been reading about this while at work, will have to watch clips later.

But
This is just awful..... harrowing stuff.
And maybe "thousands" dead?

I'm glad people are speedily getting aid and man-power out there.

Already read some crap online like "we've got our own problems, why should we send money?"

And "We can't afford it, we can't afford grit on our roads so how can we afford to help them"

I mean yes.... people not being able to get around and having difficulty getting to work is equally as bad as thousands of people trapped and killed under rubble.... /sarc

this is a catastrophe.... the snow is an Inconvenience.

Some people eh?

[edit on 13/1/10 by blupblup]

link   
anamus_c the United States Geological Survey reported more than 30 aftershocks since the earthquake struck #Haiti yesterday.
less than 20 seconds ago from TweetDeck

link   
ONLINE DISCUSSION

"Bill Canny, director of emergency preparedness at Catholic Relief Services, and formerly head of ground operations in Haiti, will be online Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 9:30 a.m. ET to discuss global response to the tragedy and how people can help. "

he is online there now answering questions as quickly as he can. There is a question submit form on that page.

Update: Online discussion has ended. I have reposted key bits of info from the discussion below, but more info from questions asked will remain on the link above.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by cjcord]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by OpenYourHead

This fast? Does that seem a little odd to anyone?

I think our reaction time is too slow.

I wish I could have been in position to help.

But seriously we need better preparation for a catastrophe.

We humans live like theres no tomorrow, seriously.

We just are not ready for this type of event, we need better preparations.

As a forensic scientist and a member of a "go team" tasked with identification of the dead from disasters, I was alerted wthin 30 minutes. The lab equipment is loaded, and we will be leaving St. Kitts when we receive confirmed news about the PaP airport. The last word from the US Air Force is that the airport is damaged but open but the one road into town is blocked. This is not going to be fun. I hope we can find enough electric to run the equipment. And a place to do the posts. Speed is essential. We have to get these people ID'd and buried before disease sets in. It's already 81 F and warming.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a 5.4 aftershock? that can do damage, this is insane

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Yes the article says 3 millions "affected"

The International Federation of the Red Cross estimated that 3 million people were affected by the earthquake.

and probably they meant 3.000.000 people living in the area that has been struck by the quake. It's too early to even just guess numbers, but heck, they are 8,5 millions totally in Haiti, and if we look at the intensity map
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/0b0b48dbb18f15a6.jpg[/atsimg]
then we can see that the area affected in some severe way is the area surrounding PaP indeed: even just some thousands would be a catastrophical death toll (and i'm afraid that likely the final death toll will be a number with three zeroes)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Re: Airport:

Fort Lauderdale, Fla.: Do you have any news about the airport being open? How can we find out the best information so that we can deliver aid?

Bill Canny: We know that the airport is closed today. The best way to deliver aid is to send cash to organizations already present in the country, like Catholic Relief Services. We will be purchasing supplies in the Dominican Republic today and shipping them immediately to Haiti. We also have pre-positioned stocks in Miami that we are coordinating delivery for. You can donate at www.crs.org/donate/ if you're interested.

and re: money actually getting where it's NEEDED:

Washington, DC: What is the best way to donate monetary aid that will actually get to the people impacted by this disaster and not into the hands of corrupt Haitian officials and their cronies?

Bill Canny: Again, it's most efficient to donate money to organizations already on the ground like CRS.

Re: finding status of loved ones---

Saint Petersburg, FL: Bill - I suggest you make it clear to your readers that the State Department "888" number for missing persons is only to try to locate American citizens in Haiti, and not Haitian or third-country nationals. I've worked in the room that gets those calls, and that's important.

Re: those with medical skills wanting to volunteer:
Contact Hands on disaster resorce

**UPDATE: At this point it is too early to know if or when HODR may send an assessment team or run a volunteer project in response to the January 12, 2010 Haiti earthquake. If you are interested in volunteering on a potential project, please email Tom at [email protected] with ‘Haiti’ in the subject line. Thanks for your interest in HODR and in helping those in need. Please check back often for more information as it becomes available.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Sorry guys, but in my mind i still think it was HAARP. Why always in the poorests countries? Is it to take people from the news about the swine flu scam? or the banking crisis probe? I advise u guys to see the Jesse Ventura videos on you tube about HAARP. It happened in China last year, remember?
Hope Haiti people get all the help necessary to try to keep on surviving.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by joao_ed

Thank you for the info, but some of us are a little busy to stop working and check these out. I mean this sincerely. We can look at videos later, right now, not to sound overdramatic, but people are dying.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by joao_ed
Sorry guys, but in my mind i still think it was HAARP. Why always in the poorests countries? Is it to take people from the news about the swine flu scam? or the banking crisis probe? I advise u guys to see the Jesse Ventura videos on you tube about HAARP. It happened in China last year, remember?

What???

So you don't remember the San Francisco quake?

Or perhaps the Japanese quake...?

Or the Chinese quake...about 250,000 dead?

LINK

It's not only poor countries... It's mainly to do with fault lines.

Not everything is a conspiracy.
Go spout conspiracy bollocks elsewhere.

[edit on 13/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
anamus_c large number of Brazilian soldiers missing...feared dead in the #haiti earthquake

goldendragon35 - 3:09 p.m.
RT @ChicagoPhotoSho: RT @BreakingNews: Roman Catholic priest in France says archbishop of Port-au-Prince killed in #Haiti quake - AP

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by joao_ed

Ok i can't sleep, still following this thread.

First off the Sichuan Quake was in 2008, not last year and we have established this isn't a thread about HAARP. Start a thread in general conspiracy forum if you are dead set that it's haarp. There are people in this thread relying on updates and info that many good people are working hard to supply us with, so this is not the thread to discuss haarp, or to even mention swine flu or banking crisis, or Jesse Ventura.

[edit on 13/1/2010 by bkaust]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

thanks so much for all your hard work i can't star you enough in this thread.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
annieg917 - 3:14 p.m.
HAITIAN PRESIDENT RENE PREVAL SAYS BELIEVES THOUSANDS DEAD, SCENE IN PORT-AU-PRINCE "UNIMAGINABLE" -MIAMI HERALD

chapasasa - 3:13 p.m.
Bodies litter Haiti captial: PORT-AU-PRINCE, Jan 13 - Bodies littered Haiti\'s capital on Wednesday after an earth... http://(link tracking not allowed)/6HVD1s

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
this has got me on pins and needles, finally something other than religious banter, and political nonsense on ATS once again

I learn more on this thread than i do from the news

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The Associated Press

The earthquake in Haiti had a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 and it appeared to have occurred along a strike-slip fault, where one side of a vertical fault slips horizontally past the other, scientists say. California's San Andreas fault is also characterized as strike-slip.

It was the strongest earthquake since 1770 in what is now Haiti. In 1946, a magnitude-8.0 quake struck neighboring Dominican Republic and shook Haiti, killing 100 people, most of them in the tsunami that followed. In that case, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, the death toll was light because the quake struck in the afternoon on a holiday.

Tuesday's quake was centered about 10 miles (15 kilometers) west of Port-au-Prince at a depth of 5 miles (8 kilometers), the USGS said. Since then, more than 30 smaller quakes have shaken the island, with magnitudes ranging from 4.5 to 5.9.

Link

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I appreciate the thanks, if only we could actualize the stars and send them south!

FYI- I am getting most of my info from Twitter, real time updates are pouring in by the thousands. I am in contact with (of all things!) The Cub scouts here in Agawam, MA, which is my point of contact for donations.

For those looking to help locally, if you do not attend a house of worship- the Scouts are a good contact, as are radio stations and local newspapers.

Right now the main need is cash- as other donations are pricey to ship and getting them there is impossible. There are MANY legitimate relief agencies already on the ground there, and cash is what they would like most.

Those who are feeling like they really need to do something but do not have cash, I suggest collecting items and donating to local homeless shelters and local charity organizations.

I understand firsthand the need to HELP, in any way, most especially when a disaster of this nature occurs. I may sound preachy, but times like this it is important to note that our local areas need help too!

link   
reply to post by bkaust

thought ats was about conspiracy theories. i was advised a few months ago to be prepared to the "natural catastrophes" that were going to happen in the end of 2009 and beginning of 2010, thats what im doing. what else can i do? i been following this thread since the start, and i think other people feel the same way as me. i wish i could help people in Haiti, but very dificult from Portugal, all i can do is search for what caused this "natural catastophe".

link   
The recent earthquake in Haiti could have been caused by HAARP.

link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Well it's been difficult, but we have tried to keep it on track! Some members are really working their a**es off getting some quality info, so it does seem alot more up to date and broader then watching the news at the moment!

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join