It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth 'to be wiped out' by supernova explosion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It's a shame it is so far away and won't happen in my lifetime. I would love to see humans be wiped out by a supernova. Or, should I say, know it was coming. It would certainly make my day.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by psilo simon

Myself , I would like to believe that in the time in which the earth would need to worry about any such event that we pesky humans will have some nano tech that could simply repair the ozone , assuming our planetary shields were down and unable to stop the unwanted force of course

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
watch out for them gamma ray burst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

It would sure make for an interesting year , just imagine if we new that the world was to be potentially wiped out in a years time ? Also remember this type of news could be released to the masses by an amateur astronomer , it wouldn't necessarily have to come from the government .

Yes it would be a very interesting time to say the least .

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by psilo simon
I wonder, would it be sudden or instantaneous?

We could no doubt build some kind of bio domes to take refuge in.

Imagine if it was sudden though, walking down the street, and the ozone layer gets ripped away, all your friends start melting and and cats start to smell edible. I don`t think I`d like that at all.

The real interesting part about this story is that the star is over 3000 light-years away, so it could have physically blown up 3000 years ago, but the light from the explosion hasn't reached us yet.

I often wonder when I hear about ideas like this, if we will be able to see the explosion itself before the damage hits. This is assuming that whatever is going to do the damage moves slower than the light from the explosion.

I wouldn't worry about it though, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. If it happens, it happens. We all have to die one day anyway, so there is nothing to fear.

Just cherish every day as if it is your last, and you will find solace when your time comes.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Yes , by the time we see it we would also feel it .

So very good question you rase , how do they know ? Seeing how nothing moves faster then light we can only measure what we see and what we are seeing is based on VERY OLD info lol 3000 years old .

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
What the hell? The content and the heading of the article contrast. Even the first couple of sentences allude to the last sentence of the article snippet.

"EARF WIL B WYPD OWT"

"EARFS OZON LAYA WIL B WYPD OWT"

Uh...So what's it gonna be, scientists?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
"Breaking Alternative News » Earth 'to be wiped out' by supernova explosion"

And the universe breaths a sigh of relief!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Utterly ridiculous. We can still see this doomed star, correct? By the time it goes supernova and the time we actually see it go supernova, 3000 years will have passed.

So, it may have already gone supernova, and we're just waiting ±3000 years for the blast to reach us, yes? Or, it may not have gone supernova, so we'll be waiting +3000 years for doomsday, right?

Another ridiculous bit of fear-mongering from our hysterical Scientific community.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by psilo simon
I wonder, would it be sudden or instantaneous?

We could no doubt build some kind of bio domes to take refuge in.

Imagine if it was sudden though, walking down the street, and the ozone layer gets ripped away, all your friends start melting and and cats start to smell edible. I don`t think I`d like that at all.
Why is it that everybody keeps asking about bio domes?!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LASTofTheV8s

Good question, why would we have time to build anything, think it would be a moot point.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well we obviously need bio domes before this happens... just kidding

Hopefully we [the people] will cure our own insanity enough to happily live on this planet by that time. If we'd continue the current rate of self destruction future would be scary if any at all. I think we'll all "wake up" on time.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There is nothing we can do about it, unless we have the technology to fly to another planet like Earth.

This wont happen for over 200 generations, so who cares?

Life is not the end, if we die, so be it who cares? There is another realm to look forward too. We are all born to die anyway, it is our destiny to die, why are you all so worried about it?

Its like eating something, then freaking out about the fact that you have to take a crap after.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
ppl are saying if the star goes nova it be 3000years before it reaches us....wrong...we are seeing the star 3000 years ago.

anyways the sun produces a powerful magnetic sheild and that will sheild us from the radiation. Also though my astronomical knowledge is not that good when a star goes nova it blows up in all directions. If the star blew up and concentrated its energy in one direction towards us then yes it will wipe life from earth BUT as far as I know only black holes can emit a concentrated beam of radiation in one direction radiating out for light years.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Utterly ridiculous. We can still see this doomed star, correct? By the time it goes supernova and the time we actually see it go supernova, 3000 years will have passed.

So, it may have already gone supernova, and we're just waiting ±3000 years for the blast to reach us, yes? Or, it may not have gone supernova, so we'll be waiting +3000 years for doomsday, right?

Another ridiculous bit of fear-mongering from our hysterical Scientific community.

— Doc Velocity

Think of it as us watching a 3260 year time lagged image of the star. The effect of the star exploding will also be travelling at the speed of light and so if the star actually exploded 3259 years ago, we would see and feel the effects next year.

edit for spelling

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Chris McGee]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Earth 'to be wiped out' by supernova explosion

www.telegraph.co.uk

The Earth could soon be wiped out by the explosion of a star more than 3,000 light years away, according to American scientists . The star, called T Pyxidis, is set to self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova with the force of 20 billion billion billion megatons of TNT.
Although the star is thought to be around 3,260 light-years away – a fairly short distance in galactic terms – the blast from the thermonuclear explosion could strip away the Earth's ozone layer, the scientists said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

If we were hit by a gamma ray burst It would be more than the earth's ozone layer stripped It would actually be the end of all life as we know it, I'm not trying to derail your thread in anyway but I would take this info with a pinch of salt
but that's just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
ppl are saying if the star goes nova it be 3000years before it reaches us....wrong...we are seeing the star 3000 years ago.

anyways the sun produces a powerful magnetic sheild and that will sheild us from the radiation. Also though my astronomical knowledge is not that good when a star goes nova it blows up in all directions. If the star blew up and concentrated its energy in one direction towards us then yes it will wipe life from earth BUT as far as I know only black holes can emit a concentrated beam of radiation in one direction radiating out for light years.

Exactly as I was thinking with a side of the position of Earth during said moment. If we're behind the sun, we are safe. If at a vulnerable orbit of the sun, then Yikes!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

Actually, the only reason that we know about GRBs is because they hit us.

Thankfully, most of them are not direct hits from nearby supernovae, and a few small hits are not a big deal.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Do the Supernova shock waves gradually slow down as the move out from
the epicenter? If so, we could see the explosion with our eyes and then
"feel" its effects a short, or a long time later...depending on how quickly
the outward moving wave slows in speed.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Earth COULD be wiped out,
yes it could but I am going on the theory on supernovas emitting the high energy discharge ADJACENT to the galactic plane - from the north and south polar region from the star in question.

Ergo the gamma radiation would not effect the earth and this thread was started by a fear mongering person whom does not deserve any attention, and could possibly be writing stuff to distract you all from more important things that you have power to make differences to the status quo.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join