It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth 'to be wiped out' by supernova explosion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

There could be a gamma ray burst closing in on us right now and we wouldn't even know it until it was too late....

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
What could we do if we did know about it? Say, from an orbiting sensor probe
at the edge of the solar system...if we had such a thing.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

So bloody what, gamma rays emit form the solar poles adjacent to the galactic plane and therefor are not .ing towards us.

Why do you feel the need to be a fear mongering tool of the establishment?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
No they have that confused...

It's Romulus that gets wiped out by the Super Nova Explosion.

Vulcan is then destroyed by the last surving Romulans,

And a young Captain Kirk saves the planet Earth.

It's all got a happy ending...so there!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
So, is there a way we can hurry this process along? I am quite bored of you humans occupying my planet with your trivial little lives.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
I guess sooner or later the earth is destined to encounter a potential death shot from above , lets just hope we never see such an event .

Well, according to the article, the white dwarf hasn't super-nova'ed yet, so there's still time to get your affairs in order. But then, that's not including that it will take over 3000 more years for the effects to reach us...

Even so, if that doesn't do us in, our own sun is due to start expanding (all the way out to Mars orbit!), in its own nova stages, in about another 5 or 6 billion years...

Either way, nobody alive today will ever get to see something like this as a firsthand witness.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I find it hard to be concerned about this seeing as I will already be dead, long before this would ever do any damage. I think that anything in space killing us all is the least of our worries. We have enough nukes to kill everyone several times over. THAT concerns me.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

You mean to tell me that I have to put up with you hareless apes for at LEAST another 3000 years?!?

Shesh oh Pete!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
No offense Max, but the author of this article may as well have said 'we might have a supernova expolosion and wipe out the earth, or monkeys might fly out of my butt'! The article is very poorly written for a topic of such importance! A little over 3000 light years is not very far at all from earth, and a supernova at that distance would be detrimintal to our survival.

This is a much more well written article, please have a read:

www.popsci.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Originally posted by Max_TO
I guess sooner or later the earth is destined to encounter a potential death shot from above , lets just hope we never see such an event .

Well, according to the article, the white dwarf hasn't super-nova'ed yet, so there's still time to get your affairs in order. But then, that's not including that it will take over 3000 more years for the effects to reach us...

Even so, if that doesn't do us in, our own sun is due to start expanding (all the way out to Mars orbit!), in its own nova stages, in about another 5 or 6 billion years...

Either way, nobody alive today will ever get to see something like this as a firsthand witness.

I wonder when the sun expands, will the planets be pushed further away maybe?

[edit on 10-1-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This is about the third article I've read or listened to about such an event in the past couple of weeks.

A night or two ago Coast to Coast had some guy on talking about a gamma ray burst that is supposed to hit us in 2012.

If there's any truth to it, there must of been some way for them to know it was coming our way even though that we're told that it can't be seen until it gets here. Whether it's the one 3000 light years away or the one that's 8000 away, either could be a couple years away from hitting us if indeed it happened thousands of years in the past. I was thinking what if some reflection was seen through a worm hole or something, so they got a future glimpse of what was coming. Either that or there is some other way that that information was relayed when the actual burst occurred and that information was passed down through the years.

Pretty scary stuff, but perhaps there are things we can do that might give us a better chance at survival. Maybe that's why there are big underground facilities for some - not cold war fall out shelters, but gamma ray burst shelters. Maybe the chemtrails are a sort of tests for creating a temporary shield.

So, if we don't have a pass to one of the underground facilities and we can't afford to build one are we SOL or is there some way we can increase our chances of survival if were on the right side of the earth and our atmosphere isn't completely blown away? Would we have to hunker down in a cave for 6 months or would it be just a one day event? Of course there's the possibility that only a few thousand will survive and they will end up starting from the stone age again.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
PPl there is nothing to be afraid about. The crab nebula was once a star that went nova way back over 1000years ago. The nova was that bright it made night day for several days. This was witnessed by chinese astronomers who wrote down the event. Now the crab nebual is only 6000 light years away only twice as far as the one in this thread. We didnt die off then we certainly arent going to die anytime soon either......

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

You mean to tell me that I have to put up with you hareless apes for at LEAST another 3000 years?!?

Shesh oh Pete!
Don't worry that star went super Nova 3259 years ago and we will be able to see light show in very short time now, please enjoy while last.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join