It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth 'to be wiped out' by supernova explosion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

www.telegraph.co.uk

The Earth could soon be wiped out by the explosion of a star more than 3,000 light years away, according to American scientists . The star, called T Pyxidis, is set to self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova with the force of 20 billion billion billion megatons of TNT.
Although the star is thought to be around 3,260 light-years away – a fairly short distance in galactic terms – the blast from the thermonuclear explosion could strip away the Earth's ozone layer, the scientists said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
First off my search button doesn't work so if this is already posted I am sorry

Interesting story to say the least . We , or should I say our Great x 200 grand children have a bit of time to solve this potential problem , assuming we are smart enough to leave a world for them .

I guess sooner or later the earth is destined to encounter a potential death shot from above , lets just hope we never see such an event .

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

why is it people refuse to do a search before posting?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

"First off my search button doesn't work so if this is already posted I am sorry "

Why is it people don't read the thread b4 posting ???

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Also Mod's .... my search button has not worked for a while now is there a current problem or is it an issue of my browser ?

PLEASE HELP ! , thanks

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Max_TO]

link   
triple post

link   
triple post

link   

Originally posted by dereks

why is it people refuse to do a search before posting?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Could say the same about people refusing to read anything in the thread before acting like a mod.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

there are other ways of searching.... try reading the stories, or use google search, or get your search button fixed....

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

reply to post by dereks

"First off my search button doesn't work so if this is already posted I am sorry "

How it is that a search button doesnt work? Honest question.

Anyways. I saw this at Popsci.com. Interesting, in regards that only recently it was believed that earth was far enough away from any star that 'could' go supernova that earth would be fine.

I have hope that in 2 million years humans have moved off this planet.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

there are other ways of searching.... try reading the stories, or use google search, or get your search button fixed....

I will put the order in for a new search button , mod's if you please , send em a new search button .

And perhaps my friend dereks can get a chill pill at the same time

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSmith

Good question I have no idea why it doesn't work ??

Every time I try a search it brings up a almost blank page that says error in the top left of the screen , very frustrating

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
why are u guys discussing

wth

be more positive guys ... its not like this is an important subject : the search or not to search

its not like we wont have multiple threads every day

ats could do something about it, very smart, so I will post it here, maybe one of them will read and think about it

before posting a thread, the forum system could check out for threads with similar titles and similar content and present these threads to the user, so, he can then see if the subject isnt already being discussed

I saw that in another board and I found it very useful

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSmith

I have hope that in 2 million years humans have moved off this planet.

im hoping that in 2 million years we have no need to move off this planet, though a few space and other planet bases/travel destinations could be cool.. ha ha ha

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Isn't there a rule that .. two threads with the exact same topic CAN co-exists as long as one of them is on the regular forums and the other one on the Breaking News Section ..??

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Polynomial C]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Actually, I just caught the above post. There is indeed leeway given for duplicate threads if one is in a topical forum and the other is in Breaking Alternative News.

That said, the thread will remain open and I request that everyone start posting to the topic.

Thank you.

[edit on Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:33:05 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Just more scare tactics to remind us we won't be here forever.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It's permissible to have a thread on the board and one in BAN on the same topic at the same time, so don't sweat it. Search doesn't always turn up the desired results, either.

My problem is with the Telegraph's headline, which sensationalizes the actual story.

Statistically, the star is going to blow, but no one knows when and no one really knows what will happen when it does.

It might wipe out the ozone layer, but is there any evidence to support the hypothesis that it will?

The article doesn't make that clear.

[edit on 2010/1/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

It might wipe out the ozone layer, but is there any evidence to support the hypothesis that it will?
[edit on 2010/1/7 by GradyPhilpott]

Probably because they have never witnessed anything like that before and as such , it's a theory . But hey , lets hope they never do get the chance to see it happen fist hand

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I wonder, would it be sudden or instantaneous?

We could no doubt build some kind of bio domes to take refuge in.

Imagine if it was sudden though, walking down the street, and the ozone layer gets ripped away, all your friends start melting and and cats start to smell edible. I don`t think I`d like that at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join