It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beginning to believe in aliens leads to...workplace violence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Hello my ATS family, I wanted to share an interesting tidbit I've received from our Workplace Violence required education, brought to us by a PhD and one of the largest health benefits companies in the U.S. (the name of the company isn't relevant to the discussion). Before the lecture began, there was a pre-test called "Workplace Violence Issues: How informed are you?". Essentially, we took the test and the doctor of psychology reviewed the answers during the presentation to see if we were correct. Here is verbatim, the true/false question #3:

"In the months and weeks before committing workplace violence, some perpetrators become convinced that someone is watching them, begin to believe in space aliens, or think that UFOs have landed in their backyard."

I kid you not. The doctor says "true". Before anyone here gets up-in-arms, perhaps it's best to ask yourself as I did, "well, is it true?" I haven't done the research yet (just got home from work) but would be curious to see what kind of findings are out there. What is the correlation between the perception of being watched, space aliens, UFOs and workplace violence? If this is true and there are no aliens/UFOs, why in particular are aliens/UFOs the triggers for violence? If true and if indeed people are having contact with aliens/UFOs, is there something going on with the experience to cause violence? If it isn't true, why disseminate this information? The floor is open, thank you for your time.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I don't really see how that correlates with the workplace. Unless the man can't handle it and becomes incredibly paranoid and acts stranger and stranger until he wears a tinfoil hat and swears everyone's an alien and opens fire. But that's a bad case, I think people can handle a man having something interesting to talk about over the watercooler (you know what I mean). People are too afraid nowadays, where's the love and acceptance?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

"In the months and weeks before committing workplace violence, some perpetrators become convinced that someone is watching them, begin to believe in space aliens, or think that UFOs have landed in their backyard."

Don't know if it relates so much to aliens as it does to paranoia. Perhaps, in the author's mind, refering to aliens or UFOs in backyard indicates paranoia?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tantalus
People are too afraid nowadays, where's the love and acceptance?

An interesting point. I must admit, there were a few points that were made that caused me to think I was timewarped to the 1950's. For example question #11 which is apparently false: "Passive signs of emotional distress, such as an employee's sudden memory loss or concentration problems or deteriorating grooming habits, are not very likely to lead to violent behavior." Maybe I'm too cynical but I'm reading this as memory loss = ageism, concentration problems = other priorities or too much caffeine, and deteriorating grooming habits = happily married. I digress, on to the aliens.

Of particular note, I work at a scientific company with fellow biochemists, engineers and all imaginable roles aimed towards clean energy and heathcare. To say we have a few sci-fi fans would be an understatement. I don't know a single one of them who can scientifically discount the possibility of extra-terrestrials. Religiously we get into some interesting discussions on the matter. Supposing you're right about taking the idea too far, why statistically is it UFOs/aliens in particular that makes a person irrationally paranoid? Why not spiders? Or vampires? Or auditors?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Don't know if it relates so much to aliens as it does to paranoia. Perhaps, in the author's mind, refering to aliens or UFOs in backyard indicates paranoia?

This is an interesting point. The test creator was pulling a convenient example? The doctor says statistically this is the case though. The 'creative license' clause on a 'true' statement now takes on a different shape for me. Perhaps I need to stop being so literal?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Supposing your right about taking the idea too far, why statistically is it UFOs/aliens in particular that makes a person irrationally paranoid? Why not spiders? Or vampires? Or auditors?
reply to post by saint4God

I'm not sure why aliens or Ufos would be statistically different....very interesting.

Did the quiz have any questions about religious beliefs? Just curious.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

How about paranoya because the real facts would make most people literally jump out of their skins.

Make no mistake.....the real truth about matters and what Governments know would cause most people to loose their lunch. That would be the mild cases.

The truth will not set you free, merely help you understand why you are in the paddock. To truly be free, you need to make your self unavailable for their feeding.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Hello my ATS family, I wanted to share an interesting tidbit I've received from our Workplace Violence required education, brought to us by a PhD and one of the largest health benefits companies in the U.S. (the name of the company isn't relevant to the discussion). Before the lecture began, there was a pre-test called "Workplace Violence Issues: How informed are you?". Essentially, we took the test and the doctor of psychology reviewed the answers during the presentation to see if we were correct. Here is verbatim, the true/false question #3:

This is mental warfare, straight up, and you think that names are not important?

Knowing which companies/people are spreading this type of indoctrination is VERY important.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

I think it is just more lies and lies that could do the gullible some harm because they will fear alien context and run screaming into the night at the mere chance that the light in the sky is a UFO.

Ok I am exaggerating but if the powers that be are pushing a new agenda that reinforces the notion that contact means a propensity to break with your normal modes of behaviour then I think they are hoping that people are not going to actively try to make contact. If there is this new policy taking place within our learned circles that will spread out like ripples on a pond then maybe something is going on that has the government-that-loves-us concerned.

Has there possibly been a new resurgence of secret human/visitor contacts taking place outside government sanctioned circles and has the government become aware of this and thus so concerned they are now using knee jerk tactics to keep people wary of visitor contacts if they ever became chosen for contact?

If the theory about UFO belief systems having a link to violence actually did become bedded down as a fact within our society then it would make it much easier to deride those of us who believe much more and also make those of us who believe seem to be damaged by contact.

It would not take a stretch to assume UFO believers are more than just cranks after this new policy became the mainstream but that us cranks are suddenly a danger to society at large and thus may be targets for some sort of law enforcement sanctions – for public safety of course, not to intimidate the UFO reporting’s and the believers.

We would be shunned in other words because in admitting you saw a UFO you would be inadvertently admitting that you have been physiologically damaged and you may be a danger to the general public, your children, your workmates. There are so many ways that this tactic could grip us by the short and curlies it is not even funny.

Now I have seen UFO’s and even had what I would describe as some sort of euphoric connection on the 8th of may 03:00 2008. I am not a violent person. I am of the disposition that violence begets violence and nothing is solved.

From my experience, the issue of UFO/violence is either lies or a new layer of disinformation with some indoctrination via media thrown in for seasoning.

Therefore the UFO/violence connection is such a festering bag of bile I will be stunned if people actually start to believe it but I expect that it will become mainstream if the government wishes it to be and people will lap it up and beg to be saved from tempation :slaphead

Starred and flagged!

[edit on 5-1-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Did the quiz have any questions about religious beliefs? Just curious.

Good question, hadn't thought of it. No mention of religious beliefs in the quiz.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
This is mental warfare, straight up, and you think that names are not important?

Knowing which companies/people are spreading this type of indoctrination is VERY important.

I didn't realize it would've been considered so strongly. I'm fairly certain however that the insurance company didn't create the statistic and are probably just citing some other research publication. If I had the source of the doctor's numbers I'd gladly post them. So far I haven't found any support looking for hard numbers online.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
If the theory about UFO belief systems having a link to violence actually did become bedded down as a fact within our society then it would make it much easier to deride those of us who believe much more and also make those of us who believe seem to be damaged by contact.

It would not take a stretch to assume UFO believers are more than just cranks after this new policy became the mainstream but that us cranks are suddenly a danger to society at large and thus may be targets for some sort of law enforcement sanctions – for public safety of course, not to intimidate the UFO reporting’s and the believers.

We would be shunned in other words because in admitting you saw a UFO you would be inadvertently admitting that you have been physiologically damaged and you may be a danger to the general public, your children, your workmates. There are so many ways that this tactic could grip us by the short and curlies it is not even funny.

This sounds like a conspiracy, I see that I've come to the right place. An interesting addendum to the previous information I've mentioned was a question asked by someone in the audience (paraphrase), "What would happen if someone came to you personally if they feel they're having serious issues" to which he replied (with the exact word underlined), "We'd certainly give that person access to the appropriate counselling, medication and facilities they need to get well." The person next to me whispered, "Clockwork Orange" which brought about some chuckles...but maybe we shouldn't be laughing.

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
Now I have seen UFO’s and even had what I would describe as some sort of euphoric connection on the 8th of may 03:00 2008. I am not a violent person. I am of the disposition that violence begets violence and nothing is solved.

From my experience, the issue of UFO/violence is either lies or a new layer of disinformation with some indoctrination via media thrown in for seasoning.

Therefore the UFO/violence connection is such a festering bag of bile I will be stunned if people actually start to believe it but I expect that it will become mainstream if the government wishes it to be and people will lap it up and beg to be saved from tempation :slaphead

Starred and flagged!

Thanks for the thread support. One person asked, "what if they're joking? I mean, I used to tell my coworkers I was an alien from another world and it became kind of the joke. I've stopped making that joke since I heard about this a few years ago but..." The answer was interesting, "The sudden change is more of a concern than the joke..." to which he explained that behavioral changes are the most important flag. I kinda see where he's coming from, but I also have to admit that when someone experiences something that others may not believe, they do defend it passionately (at least at first). Not sure what to make of it all, but brought up some interesting points to ponder.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

I didn't realize it would've been considered so strongly. I'm fairly certain however that the insurance company didn't create the statistic and are probably just citing some other research publication. If I had the source of the doctor's numbers I'd gladly post them. So far I haven't found any support looking for hard numbers online.

I disagree whole heartedly. These things have been around for a very long time-they give them to kids in school.

If a kid is a loner, better keep an eye on him.

If a kid dresses all in black, they are up to no good.

The thing is, and it is a proven fact, that reading t hings like this, and marking 'true' on a question such as the one you posted, creates a reaction in the brain that, over time, causes you to start believing it, whether you did at first or not.

Again, and I dont say this lightly, THIS IS MENTAL WARFARE.

Why protect the assailants?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
If anyone tried to run this 'aliens/workplace violence' past Aussie workers, it would be top of the news with everyone from workers themselves to educators, politicians and medicos calling for the sacking of whomever was responsible for trying to push an 'alien' agenda !

Whomever wrote the 'aliens/workplace violence' thing would be called into question, would be butt of late-night tv jokes and would be stood down and required to present themselves for psychiatric assessment asap

I actually have a hard time believing it happened anywhere .. even the US

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ha! Gotta love the lengths some folk will go to veil their own prejudices in the rubric of science. Neither PubMed nor Google Scholar returns anything on workplace violence + belief in aliens or aliens. Nada! I found 1 possible fee protected article that seems to state that in one instance, a person who later committed an act of violence at work used a library computer to communicate directly to aliens. Hardly statistically significant.

Got it in one, Smyleegrl! "Don't know if it relates so much to aliens as it does to paranoia. Perhaps, in the author's mind, referring to aliens or UFOs in backyard indicates paranoia?"

I think this person and the author of the test are confabulating a belief in aliens and other alternative subjects w. outright psychosis. But even that theory fails, as actual research shows that the mentally ill are far more likely to be the recipient of violence than the instigator. While paranoiac folk might end up acting out in more dramatic fashion when they do go off, there are a vast number of people who also have these beliefs w/ no associated mental illness. A classic correlation verses causation problem. And that's the nicest interpretation, in light of the dearth of articles substantiating the trainer's "facts".

Of course, any Psychologist worth their salt would know paranoia can be based on darn near anything (religion being the most common). Are all people who believe in the man in the sky who judges everything they do psychotic? Clearly our society's judgement is no.....

Reminds me of a ? I got "wrong" during my mental health rotation in RN school. A teenager wearing black indicates depression and is at higher risk for suicide. Ha! Or is a GOTH! Duh....

Sadly, mental health has little ability to understand the unusual as anything other than pathological. And I say this as someone w/ advanced training and employment in mental health.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Bored = aliens

Cars = aliens

Wars = aliens

Depressed = aliens

Weather = aliens

Science = aliens

Astronomy = aliens

main thing is ------ ALIENS, ALIENS, ALIENS !

Think about ALIENS !

Dream about ALIENS !

ALIENS ARE COMING !

GET READY !

ALIENS will solve ALL your prolems !

Forget Santa Claus !

Forget the Easter Bunny !

Forget your God/s !

ALL you need is ALIENS !

Watch the skies !

Wait for the Aliens !

Pray to the Aliens !

They're coming, they're coming !

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeathTribble
Neither PubMed nor Google Scholar returns anything on workplace violence + belief in aliens or aliens. Nada!

Same here. I was hoping especially for some kind of online version of this test so I could link it but none was found.

Originally posted by DeathTribble
I found 1 possible fee protected article that seems to state that in one instance, a person who later committed an act of violence at work used a library computer to communicate directly to aliens. Hardly statistically significant.

Nice job, you found more than I did and agree. Thank you for the rest of your post as well, I know little about psychology so additional insight is always a help. Alien believers versus psychologists...do you think Tom Cruise has something to do with all of this? ;-)

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's a fact that people are being watched (by NSA & whoever else) & that extra-terrestrial life exists. Those "beliefs" have nothing whatsoever to do w/ violence. I think what they are trying to do is spread disinfo & discredit people who know those things b/c they can be dangerous to certain people. Maybe they are hoping that if they can get people to think people w/ those beliefs are dangerous, they can get their friends & neighbors to report on them - maybe to some place like Infragard.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

If a kid is a loner, better keep an eye on him.

If a kid dresses all in black, they are up to no good.

I was a loner in black growing up, so I can relate. Still wear a good bit of it, but am 'up to good' and trustworthy, to help prove your point.

The thing is, and it is a proven fact, that reading t hings like this, and marking 'true' on a question such as the one you posted, creates a reaction in the brain that, over time, causes you to start believing it, whether you did at first or not.

Again, and I dont say this lightly, THIS IS MENTAL WARFARE.

Why protect the assailants?

I haven't taken your response lightly either and even asked myself why I wouldn't billboard the company name, but I believe this is the best way I could put it:

I worked at a great company a number of years ago called MBNA, a credit card issuer. At its foundation were 'precept' which included phrases like "Treating the Customer as we expect to be treated-putting the Customer first every day-and meaning it" ( www.worksupport.com... ). At the helm was an extraordinary CEO who held these kind of golden rule principles dear and wanted us all to do the same. Unfortunately, whenever you have any gathering of large people (like in a company), it is impossible to filter those who claim they hold these precepts from those who actually do. Essentially, the nature of an individual can be very different than their demeanor...which ties in excellently with the point of Workplace Violence. In any case, The News Journal had an editor who constantly wrote about MBNA in his editorial, about the 'big green monster' taking over the state and discussed how he felt it was the greatest plague to hit humanity essentially because they still required formal suits at work. The truth is, they put 10,000 employees in my state happily to work. I cancelled my subscription to The News Journal because to smear a whole company based on whatever individual bad experience this editor had is just plain unfair. If someone had a complaint against the whole company, okay, I understand, but if you're going to give credit to the individual due then so shall blame be placed upon the individual due.

I do not know who wrote this statement about aliens tied to workplace violence, but I do know I'm not going to blame a whole company (of which maybe some of our family and friends may work) merely for this insertion of what is increasingly appearing to be propaganda. I hope you understand and apologize for keeping this one bit of information anonymous until appropriate reference can be cited.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by saint4God]

top topics

join