It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The view from my house this morning

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
The power lines are froze and coverd in ice, they might come down anytime now, no ATS for me if it does

I bloody hope they don't! My job is very reliant on those towers staying up and if they fall over, it's not just power you've lost, but a whole slew of telecoms infrastructure. Also, the network that the Grid uses to load balance the whole network could be at risk if more than one route fails, leading to national blackouts, or worse..... I won't elaborate, I know what you guys are like here

I am at work now, watching the snow accumulate outside. We have a couple of inches already and more is coming down constantly. I am going to have to walk the 4 miles home tomorrow morning, which should be "entertaining"....

Alot of our guys have been put up in local hotels for the night, so we can maintain a constant presence in the NMC, but we are currently in disaster recovery mode.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The strange thing i saw on BBC news the the other day they where talking to someone from Met Office and they where questioning him on this global warming scam not too much but its a start.

THANKYOU

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Grit stocks are gone, more snow, and the ambulances are only responding to life threatening incidents, theres about 20cm so far, and expecting an extra 40cm overnight!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Ayrshire coast...we dont usually have any more than a couple of inches, but travel inland for 10 miles and there is a foot or more. We have had about 6 inches intotal. Not usually a problem but this winter it is due to an absolute lack of gritters on the main and side roads.

From a professional point of view I have enjoyed it (Being a photographer) as its given me the chance to arrange next years christmas cards.

I feel for the older members of the community though and Im keeping a look out for a couple of elderly neighbours who havnt been out for over 2 weeks.

No video, put a snapshot of what we woke to this morning.

Respects

[img]atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae332b27c445.jpg[/atsimg][/img
]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/65a3ea7e614b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

dam is it reallt that bad. is this wide spread in the UK or just your area mate ?

I swear i know of a local salt reserve i'll check it out.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

It's everywhere, the roads are dead, police are telling people not to travel, met office have made emergency warnings. On the way back from college before i shot the vid i fell onto my back hitting my head, to find out i had 2cm ice on the paths, check out the part of the vid when i pick up the ice, its all over the paths.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/65a3ea7e614b.jpg[/atsimg]

Absolutely stunning,
Hasnt snowed here in my part of London yet,
but even if it did it aint gonna stop my company making me come in

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I just hope the power does not goes otherwise there will be millions of people in deep trouble.

I might just go out and walk around my block every hour tomorrow to see if everything is ok, as i dotn think i'll be at college.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Aye, the whole country from John O'Groats to Land's End is currently under a blanket of snow. Few area's have been spared. In the space of 4 hours, we have had nearly 4 inches already. When I came into work at 7, there was no snow at all, now I can't see the roads or pavements and it is still coming down.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Im in sheffeild and its more than i have seen for a very long time.
Strange thing is they said there whould be plenty of grit they got it wrong again and i think more to come tonight.

THANKYOU

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Its stopped at my place now but thats not good either it could be freezibg over.

Does anyone have a live forcast grid to trakc to snow ?
heres one
www.meteox.co.uk...

[edit on 5-1-2010 by thecrow001]

[edit on 5-1-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I can alleviate some of your worries. I can see no issues on my network (which uses the National Grid pilons) and the Grid have told me they doubt the accumulation will be enough to bring down a tower.

Having said that, the local distributors might have issues in certain area's if their smaller poles are brought down.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

yeah they need to try something dont we have snowplows in the country, i think i remember seeing them, what else can people use to grit the roads other that salt ?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Absolutely beautiful pics!! That first pic is old fashioned Christmas Card material. Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Lucky you, I haven't seen snow in 8 yrs.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

thanks for the information its a good thing we have ATS for this information when needed.

This is still going to effect the economy which is something we dont need.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EagleClaw

Its nice to look at untill you find yourself sliding down a hill on your arse towards a main road

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Pssh, that isnt snow. Check out this I filmed a couple of hours ago.. now THIS is snow:

lots and lots and lots of snow

Also, my ENTIRE town came to a standstill... I felt very smug walking to the shop while people were stuck in traffic for hours on end

[edit on 5/1/10 by Bluebelle]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Want some webcam views?
This one of Derby cathedral and the peregrine falcons.
Cathedral and peregrine falcons.
And Buxton,Derbyshire.
Buxton
Hope they work.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Our track in was frozen up for nearly 2 weeks before Christmas, now it is both snowed up and frozen. This morning even the road at the top was impassable and no one could get anywhere.
I'm unemployed and was really psyched up for a job interview which has been cancelled, as has one on Thursday. Waiting to see if the Wednesday one is still on but it's miles away!
Our refuse is piling up and some of us are running out of fuel. A neighbour has broken his leg and we are all sick of lugging shopping up and down from the road where we have had to leave our cars. It ceases to be romantic after a while. Even worse I've run out of alcohol!

[edit on 5-1-2010 by unicorn1]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join