It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selling Biscuits And Gravy Will Get You Arrested

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That's your response? Really?
Maybe not a bad idea, considering the rest of you sheep are halfway to slaughter and you don't even realize it! Have fun being chattel!

Back on topic - this is another glaring example of government oppression and control being exerted for no good reason. This individual should be permitted to engage in creative enterprise without government interference. And for those of you that would cry about healthcode this or that, always remember the supreme law of commerce is Caveat Emptor!

So if I buy this guys biscuits and contract a life-threatening illness, what is the guy gonna do? I mean, does he have the money to compensate me? Maybe I'll just sue him for his house! Yeah, there's an idea. Because you do realize that he can't have insurance if he is a sovereign. Limited Liability is a feature of the UCC, which only applies to those that contract under UCC provisions. Under Common Law, the man serving that food is 100% responsible for ANYTHING that happens to me or anyone else that walks onto his land and partakes of his food... period. I'm sure people can find ways to "have an accident" on his land so as to take his possessions away in a nice fat lawsuit.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by downisreallyup]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This brings up an important issue. Every state has a Constitution. Have you bothered to study yours? If not, you really should, because fundamentally, that is the Constitution that most affects you. When you reside in a state, you are FIRST bound by the Constitution and Statutes of that state. And remember, LIBERTY means that you are allowed to do what you want WITHIN certain prescribed limits that are decided by legislators and instituted as laws. You people seem to think that LIBERTY is a free-for-all and that you can just do what you want, any way that you want, at any time that you want, any place that you want. Sorry to inform you of this, but THAT is never what any of the founders had in mind. You have a REPUBLIC, which means that you elect representatives to make laws on your behalf. And the more of you there are, the more restrictive the laws have to become. Surely you can see that if you just think about it. With more people, there are more diverse opinions and more diverse desires. The law has to protect all people, so while you may think you have a right to drive as fast as you want on the highway, I have a right to drive in a safe environment without you buzzing by me at 120 MPH, nearly blowing me off the road. You may think you have the right to sell any food you want to anyone you want, but I have a right to be safe from your germ-ridden, fly-egg-laden slop that you try to pass off to me as safe.

Nearly every law came about as a result of somebody's actions interfering with someone else's rights. You want the freedom to play your music as loud as you want in the middle of the night, but I want the freedom to sleep without having to hear your obnoxious tunes, which are keeping me from sleeping.

You think these presidents are bad? How would you like Obama to pass an executive order saying that all Americans had to turn all their gold into the Federal Reserve within 2 weeks, or else you will face a huge fine and/or prison? Well, that is just what Roosevelt did. He did it to American citizens. And what if Obama said that all women had to get sterilized because the government didn't want any more babies for awhile? Would you think that was unheard of? Well, it happened, right there in the good ol' U.S of A.

Let me ask... how many of you have actually done a ballot initiative? How many of you have run for office? How many have won? How many have placed a call to your representative or senator? How many have written a letter? You think you have it so bad, and yet you really have no perspective on history or the process of making changes in government. For those of you that have done ANY of these things, why don't you share you experiences and help those "Citizen wannabes" figure out how it's done.

"And the crickets sang louder and louder."

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

So I go to this guy that I heard is selling great biscuits and gravy out of his house. I buy 5 and feed them to myself and my family for breakfast. About 900 I start feeling ill, as do the rest of my family. Nausea, vomiting, headache so severe that we all go to the local ER, to find out we ate bad meat. Investigation shows that the meat was stored at 50% because the man's refrigerator doesn't work very well. So to recover my 1000's of dollars now owed to the hospital and for my wages for missed work, I file suit against the guy selling biscuits out of his house. Only he doesn't have any insurance or collateral to cover any of my costs, and I wasn't the only family who was affected by this, everyone who bought them that day got poisined from them.

This scenario is why we cannot just sell biscuits out of our house. We want and we need regulation. If the guy had a license to sell the biscuits and gravy, he would also be inspected to insure that he is selling safe foods for consumption, and that they are properly stored. He would recieve a book of rules to follow, he would be required to get insurance to cover costs such as the scenario above. Inspection also makes sure that bugs are not crawling all over the foods too. IMO it is a good thing that this is a regulated industry.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

So I go to this guy that I heard is selling great biscuits and gravy out of his house. I buy 5 and feed them to myself and my family for breakfast. About 900 I start feeling ill, as do the rest of my family. Nausea, vomiting, headache so severe that we all go to the local ER, to find out we ate bad meat. Investigation shows that the meat was stored at 50% because the man's refrigerator doesn't work very well. So to recover my 1000's of dollars now owed to the hospital and for my wages for missed work, I file suit against the guy selling biscuits out of his house. Only he doesn't have any insurance or collateral to cover any of my costs, and I wasn't the only family who was affected by this, everyone who bought them that day got poisined from them.

This scenario is why we cannot just sell biscuits out of our house. We want and we need regulation. If the guy had a license to sell the biscuits and gravy, he would also be inspected to insure that he is selling safe foods for consumption, and that they are properly stored. He would recieve a book of rules to follow, he would be required to get insurance to cover costs such as the scenario above. Inspection also makes sure that bugs are not crawling all over the foods too. IMO it is a good thing that this is a regulated industry.

Great minds think alike! I posted the same idea just above yours
Yes, I agree fully! I studied with a patriot group for a while, and the thing I found was that these guys were not practical at all. They just didn't like following any rules, but I had news for them... most Citizens, whether it's the strawman or the natural man, WANTS regulations to restrain the self-centered clunks that think the whole world revolves around them.

Countless times I have been wakened by LOUD MOUTH teens coming home at 3:00 A.M. from a late night boozing it, and they are talking full voice, laughing and carrying on right next to homes where families are sleeping. This is not just a casual occurrence, but a frequent one. So, I would love nothing more than a city ordinance that forbids this kind of thing, and for anyone stupid enough to act that way, I can call the police and they will go to the house and fine the entire lot of them. Will that limit their freedom? You betcha! And it will protect mine.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Years ago I worked at a store where a little ole lady came by every morning and sold us biscuits to sell to our customers. I ate them myself. She was a very sweet lady, and could just keep us all laughing every morning. After about 2 months of this little agreement we had with her, she just stopped showing up with the biscuits. We heard that she had become bedridden for some type of illness, so a couple of us from the store found out where she lived and went there with flowers and best wishes. What we found there was gross. The house was crawling with roaches, and (gag) mice were scurrying over the kitchen counter as we sat there talking with her grand daughter about what was wrong with her, her grandmother had hepatitis C and was very ill.

The store I worked at had a small sandwich shop inside, they were inspected and had a license. The city inspector never even knew about the biscuits being sold at the store.

I hold a great appreciation for food being regulated. And I do agree that regulations like noise control in your neighborhood are needed. Laws are needed. I know that sometimes the law is not something everyone is going to agree on, me included, but, when it comes to making other people sick or miserable, somebody has to step in.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Years ago I worked at a store where a little ole lady came by every morning and sold us biscuits to sell to our customers. I ate them myself. She was a very sweet lady, and could just keep us all laughing every morning. After about 2 months of this little agreement we had with her, she just stopped showing up with the biscuits. We heard that she had become bedridden for some type of illness, so a couple of us from the store found out where she lived and went there with flowers and best wishes. What we found there was gross. The house was crawling with roaches, and (gag) mice were scurrying over the kitchen counter as we sat there talking with her grand daughter about what was wrong with her, her grandmother had hepatitis C and was very ill.

The store I worked at had a small sandwich shop inside, they were inspected and had a license. The city inspector never even knew about the biscuits being sold at the store.

I hold a great appreciation for food being regulated. And I do agree that regulations like noise control in your neighborhood are needed. Laws are needed. I know that sometimes the law is not something everyone is going to agree on, me included, but, when it comes to making other people sick or miserable, somebody has to step in.

Well said! Star for you!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Reply to post by space cadet

Couple things, anybody eve tell you not to take candy from strangers? Who initially agreed to start taking food from this woman and what was the criteria they used? If they did know her personally maybe that person really hated the store and it's customers.

Second, folks make it sound like that regulations, whichever they are, are fail safe. Like I can't mop the floor the day of the inspection and have illegal aliens sleeping on piles of meat in the kitchen the rest o he year?

Much like cops regulations/inspections are useless feelgood measures unless they're around in perpetuity. Which they are not.

Blind trust in something run by people who are just as corrupt and open to bribery as any others but in the case of the gov are majically pure and infalible is a symptom of sheepleness.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Except the fact that all of your points about regulation went down the drain when you read the ingredient list to pretty much anything.

This stuff is packed full of unhealthy chemicals.

Regulated for safety? YEAH RIGHT.

Regulated for profit and control - YES.

How sick do I feel after eating pretty much anything from the store or local restaurants? Like crap. Tired.

This guy's biscuits are just as dangerous.

AKA Don't eat something if you didn't prepare it yourself.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
There's Cocaine, Meth, Ecstacy.... on the streets and all they seem to catch is weed... It baffles me how they can find 5 weed plant in 4 square miles of dense bush but not a thief running around in the middle of the city with a TV under his armpit...

But ohh well.. they been cracking on weed all year... I guess it was just a matter of time till the cookies had it coming

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That's your response? Really?
Maybe not a bad idea, considering the rest of you sheep are halfway to slaughter and you don't even realize it! Have fun being chattel!

Back on topic - this is another glaring example of government oppression and control being exerted for no good reason. This individual should be permitted to engage in creative enterprise without government interference. And for those of you that would cry about healthcode this or that, always remember the supreme law of commerce is Caveat Emptor!

Care to explain how you're not just as sheepy as the people you're denigrating? If you're not living in a treehouse somewhere in the middle of the deep dark forrest you're just as plugged in as the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
First of all let me start by letting everyone here know that I am a cop. There are a lot of cop bashers on this site, which I don't really mind, I still love this place.

As a cop, the worst thing I would have done to enforce this ordinance would have been to give the owner a citation. I would have treated this like any other ordinance, i.e. a leash law or no parking between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM.

Besides, I love good homemade biscuits and gravy. No one should have been arrested in this "sting". The police should have known where the home was from the "cops friend" who made the complaint. They didn't need to spend all the resources they did just to get evidence. The city should have just sent out the Code Enforcement.

Anyway, like I said, I love this site and the people on it.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I agree. For those who argue that all food should be prepared on properly licensed premises I can point you to half a dozen licensed restaurants that are less hygienic than my kitchen.
It's a health and safety culture nowadays. It should be MY choice whether I drink unpasteurized milk or eat food prepared in someones home.
Unfortunately it is also a 'sue' culture. Too many people covering their backs.
I've eaten street food in other countries and lived to tell the tale.
Last year we had the ridiculous situation over here where local housing staff were told they couldn't clear and grit pathways for their elderly tenants. Just in case they could have been accused of making the situation worse. So people prone to stroke and falls were either housebound or struggling to clear the paths themselves.
Oddly, we are still free to go and buy cigarettes and smoke ourselves to death if we so wish. Hmm, I wonder why that is.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Choice! That is what makes America great! I have the choice to be stupid and take a chance of eating possible unregulated food and getting sick. I have the choice to boycott the corporate controlled food industry. I know some may think that this is gonna be a lot of crazy patriot movement talk but, lets face facts.
The FED owns the corporations and they in turn dominate America with their fascism. They force the government via lobbyist to sway legislation in their favor so that we have to shop and eat at their companies. They make it damn near impossible to start a "legitimate" business with all the regulations and start up cost for all the proper equipment and a proper workplace. I am not saying that it is impossible, just that it isn't easy. I fully support that persons right to sell food out of his house. I do not blame them. In this economy, we might all need to take up a few extra, possibly "illegal" jobs and cut corners to make ends meet.
At least the DA let the guy go and said that there was no case.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I'm amazed at the amount of ignorant responses on this thread.

Of course the first came from the article itself "Praise Pelosi!" WTF does Pelosi have to do with this? It's illegal to run a business without a permit anywhere in the US, especially when it comes to food. Point Blank Period. Has been for DECADES!

Secondly... Sarbanes Oxley only applies to publicly traded companies... was this backdoor biscuit maker on the NYSE? I don't think so. Please STOP with the ignorant responses which make you look like a complete buffoon!

At the end of the day, there are many reasons why we need business permits, and one of them is because of this. If a customer has an issue, they can contact the health department who will inspect your business, or actually should have already inspected it.. for who? FOR EVERYONE. Otherwise whiny complainers (like a lot of you on this thread) will have to come up with something more serious to retaliate against the business they think did them wrong.

That's right ladies and gentleman... those laws which are in place are for everyone. No one is above the law, unless you are Judge Dredd.

Now... on to more pressing things.

Does this make it harder to start a viable business? Yes, it does. I agree, that the level of hoops one has to go through to run a food business can be a real pain in the behind, and I wish that there was a lower barrier to entry for this. What is one to do? CHANGE THE LAW! or accept it.

Does this make it harder on our economy... more than likely yes... but just because something is hard on an economy doesn't make it one parties fault over another... STOP MAKING EVERYTHING A D vs R story!

Get motivated, get active and change the laws you don't like INSTEAD OF COMPLAINING ABOUT THEM LIKE A PRE-TEEN!

[edit on 5-1-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

Well no disrespect to you don't take it personal I don't know you could be a pretty rightful cop but life's taught me to stay away from any cops as much as i can for many reason... I "TRIED" having a good view of cops... I really did... but

1. Knowing one that cross the street for years to buy his illegal tobaco from a smuggler that lives infront of his house WHILE he's on a case to arrest my uncle thats smuggling tobaco too...

2. Knowing another that wanted to do get a "big case" cuz he had overheard some rumors about some guy that was "suposedly" stealing from a company he was bringing home old batteries and unusable wires from a telephone company stuff they usually throw to the garbage... The cop.. contacted the company... the department put him on the case... he did LOTS of stuff he wants suposed to... and fabricated "proofs" then the guy whom was a good friend of my dad ended up in court... lost his job... his house... his wife left him cuz of stress that started with this whole thing... he shot himself and the court found out three weeks later he had signed a contract with the company 20 years prior to all of this that had got lost due to major management changes... anyways ... the contract said he could take all the "unusuitable" stuff and they would take 20$ per month on his paycheck... He did have a couple thousands of $ of stuff at his house but it was "useless"...

3. My friend who's now a FED... his dad is a lawyer... his dad and him got clocked like 50 times at 60 miles per hours in zones of 25 and the cops didn't do nothing cuz the cop in the above story happen to be the grandfather/father of my friend and his dad... they would just laugh at it at it at the club when I was around grinding my teeth trying not to bash anyone...

4. Another cop that lives about .5 mile from where I live... he son's a coc aine pusher and his dad knows and does absolutely nothing... he once got into an accident and was piss drunk... had a 24 packs on the seat and 2000$ of coc aine... called his dad... dad hurried up when to the scene.. cleaned it all up gave his car to his son and called the cops saying he was the one that had the accident... (oh btw the same kid races with cop in town with his motorbike) they all some to have alot of fun at it...

5. There's the one that's always stone... he ride around parks and tried to catch kids smoking weed and confiscate their stuff then smoke it... his eyes are red like stop signs all the time and he reeks skunk weed all the time... but none of his "brothers in arm" seems to care...

6. There's also that chick that gives ticket to people... (while not on duty... not in uniform... in her own civilian car) she arrested two of my sister's friend she followed them and beeped them with her horn until they stop and gave them a fine... they said "but ur not even on duty" she answered "Im a cop 24/7...

7. One guy "i dont know this one" but he's a well known coc aine dealer... cops go bust at his house on a regular base they always find nothing... primary because he always gets a call 1 hour ahead from his "cop friends" and then they look everywhere but at the place that everybody in town knows where its hidden.. and im serious like your a loser if you don't know about it or haven't heard he brags about it to everyone... and its been going on for years...

8. Another I know brew moonshine and sell it illegally... this one though I won't complain he's my "fed friend" supplier who in turn supplies me... its funny how they got the recipe though they got it from my friend's grand father who was a cop too.. and happened to be "THE" Escobar of illegal alcohol smuggling around here... in the 20's

I could go on and on and on and its not all the same corrupt department is local / GRC they are all the same... but im running out of space and gotta get some rest..

[edit on 5-1-2010 by _R4t_]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Ok.

Good points from both sides.

Selling food just out of your home may not be a bright idea considering all things.

However, the government wasted a lot of time and energy pointlessly. As the good officer above pointed out so eloquently, a simple citation solves the problem without ANY altercations or retardation. This put's the ball into the court it belongs, and keeps the game rules simple and fair.

Perhaps than a entrepreneur in todays society may want to avoid the food industry unless they seek to swim through the paper work.

However, this begs the ultimate question of capitalist spirit.

What regulations, if any, are required to DELIVER food from Licensed Food Distributors such as Grocery Stores and Established Restaurants or Caterers?

Of course one would probably consider it prudent to have a valid drivers ID.

But I would assume one could attempt to create a business based on this type of delivery methedology rather than the crude methods attempted by our infamously unlucky (or foolish?) citizen.

I am simply just wondering if this form of delivery (1 I go to store, 2 I bring you your list of food) is actually exempt from regulation or if you are heavily taxed in the same manner that biscuit chef over here was.

Just seems like a business model ready to explode and start raking in some good cash, that is all.

I know if I could have tacos and burritos delivered to me at 3am I would be in a place called Heaven. This is actually a viable start it up yourself business I think.

UNLESS theres some laws saying you cannot do this? Anyone know for sure?

Simple question, I apologize for typing too much. Sigh...

[edit on 5-1-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
@ about 3:47

"Let's bust that guy for biscuits and gravy. That's a gateway drug you know. That usually leads to a fried porkchop or something."

On the other hand... operating without a business license and likely no health permit is illegal.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by abecedarian]

It may be illegal but it doesn't take 5 barney fifes and a sting operation to conduct what the county administrators do...If anything They should have had one sheriff going to the door of the biz owner and talking to him - not wasting all that time & money - I've seen this in action and this was a dumb cop move on their part.... But then again you really don't know what the disgruntle customer told the cops but again it did not warrant a sting operation with out any proof other than the food..... How do we know he didn't have a licence - Many a place in PA and other states work from their home - cooking meals.. A knock onthe door was all that was warranted - that just shows how far Police can go with out justification....

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The petrochemical lads done it with hemp. Edison tried to do it to Tesla. I doubt TBTB will stop at food.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Of course, if he had a business license you'd be protected.

Because lord knows the doughnut shop on your local street corner has 4.5 billion dollars in earnings every week that you could sue them for.

I guess people like you don't eat doughnuts at local shops though because you're scared you will not be able to sue them for quadrillions of dollars if you got sick eating their doughnuts.

I assume you limit yourself to only eating at mega chains with deep pockets to pay off your frivolous lawsuits.

There is a very simple solution to this problem, its called consumer reports and restaurant reviews. If the government wasn't running around wasting your tax dollars inspecting restaurants, a private reviewing agency would take care of it.

People would check out the reviews to see if its a good place to eat or not. If people end up liking the biscuits from the guys house, they will buy them and write good reviews. If people get sick, they will stop buying his biscuits, write bad reviews, and he'll go out of business.

That's how this is supposed to work.

The government does not give you permission to sell goods. You have that right simply because you are a human being. The governments job is to protect your right to sell the goods you make.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
The government has no business telling two private individuals transacting how to go about conducting their business or regulating how a business is run. That's for the market to decide. If people don't like the way a business is run, they will stop buying its products. If the business harms them, they can sue in civil court to shut them down.

Even WITH Board of Health government regulations in place, there are business that will feed you food with mouse turds in it. While mouse turds may not make me sick, I would rather not eat them. While I generally like less govenment in my life, I like the government telling businees they cannot sell me food with mouse turds on it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join