It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selling Biscuits And Gravy Will Get You Arrested

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by Janky Red

The interstate commerce clause of the US Constitution has been liberally read by the Supreme Court since the New Deal to extend to virtually any activity, however small, that could have any affect on interstate commerce or interstate markets. Using this line of reasoning, you could easily argue this guy (and others like him) could have an impact on interstate commerce because interstate travelers may stop by an eat at his establishment, he uses ingredients from other states, or his activities may affect the inter-state biscuit and gravy market.

Fair enough, but this is not the case... This is a case of local jurisdiction and the state ENFORCING COUNTY and STATE statutes, now if a federal agency did the enforcing in this case I would not be able to make my argument.

In another example the State of California has allowed for the medicalization of Marijuana, the local PD's in the communist bastion do not close down dispensaries even though they are illegal by Federal law.

However the liberal reading of the constitution under GWB diverted federal funds to enforce federal statutes in CA during his administration. Low and behold the communist fed Obama's admin has called off the feds and has yet to institute a tax, or pressure tha state to do so.

But back to this case, the state operated as prescribed by law in accordance with our republic, did it not?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by heyo

A place like McDonalds or Jack in the Box ( how many did they kill with ecoli?) loves working with the system and the system loves working with it. They're big enough to pay all the fines and regs so they get to have all the feces they want in the special sauce and the gov gets their kickbacks through the fines and in exchange the gov announces to the public (customers) that despite all the sickness, filth and deaths it's perfectly safe to eat there.

The little guy isn't doing anything to make more money for the system so they need to be shut down ASAP.

There's a guy up here who sells chili and gumbo from a shack on the ice. You bring him a fish and he'll fry it up for you for a buck or two. He isn't exactly operating on the radar but I know the guy and I know his food and how he handles everything. I'd eat from his shack any day. The fast food place up the road has the little bought piece of paper hanging on the wall but I can't see their kitchen and I don't know anyof the out of towners who work there or own the place and I wouldn't trust them to have mine or anyone elses best interest in mind when they're doin who knows what to their food.

Just because some stranger they wrote a check to in government says I should trust I should? Yeah, I don't think so.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by Janky Red

What we want is for private individuals to be able to conduct business without 5 billion government regulations getting in the way.

The governments sole purpose is to prosecute and investigate fraud in terms of business deals.

The government has no business telling two private individuals transacting how to go about conducting their business or regulating how a business is run. That's for the market to decide. If people don't like the way a business is run, they will stop buying its products. If the business harms them, they can sue in civil court to shut them down.

No regulations are necessary to accomplish this.

Fraud is already illegal and does not require the government regulating business to prosecute.

No regulations are necessary to accomplish this.

Fraud is already illegal and does not require the government regulating business to prosecute.

Well murder is also illegal, should we ban Police?

But I digress, this is a case of Lawful enforcement, in accordance with state and local statues. I suggest if you do not like it you move to georgia and attempt to abolish food safety and the state licensing apparatus. Or just like the person whole gets sick from the food, you can petition the courts.

Then we with any luck we can have food safety like Mexico were everyone gets the squirts often and the only option is the taste and luck

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
What about personal responsibility and the whole risk factor?

If you were willing to take the risk and choose to eat his biscuits. IT'S ALL ON YOU!

Also, it's your responsibility to choose what you think is best for you. So, really, it shouldn't matter if he had a license to sell biscuits or not, if you're willing to eat what he sells, then it's your fault whether your stomach feels full or spews out on the ground.

Most people wouldn't even know what to do with their own body if they didn't have someone else (gov) telling them what to do with it. SAD!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Did I miss the part of the Constitution that guarantees the right to sell biscuits from your potentially unhealthy home?
What about the local jurisdiction, who were the ones acting here, and the laws the local people allowed to be enacted by the locally elected officials?

Welcome to Savannah, Georgia. Home of the free and land of the biscuit vendors?

Yeah, its called the 9th amendment.

You know, that part of the constitution that reserves all rights to the people and limits government to only legislating on those specific issues listed.

The founding fathers certainly never intended "free" American's to be arrested over selling biscuits out of their house.

I can see Franklin now being hauled in for selling cookies at gun point.

If you don't want to buy food from some guys house, don't buy from him.

If you do buy from him and get sick, sue him in civil court.

But don't call the police and have his delivery boy hauled in at gun point for doing no harm to anyone.

Fascist.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Exactly.....well you about said it all.
two.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Did I miss the part of the Constitution that guarantees the right to sell biscuits from your potentially unhealthy home?
What about the local jurisdiction, who were the ones acting here, and the laws the local people allowed to be enacted by the locally elected officials?

Welcome to Savannah, Georgia. Home of the free and land of the biscuit vendors?

Yeah, its called the 9th amendment.

You know, that part of the constitution that reserves all rights to the people and limits government to only legislating on those specific issues listed.

The founding fathers certainly never intended "free" American's to be arrested over selling biscuits out of their house.

I can see Franklin now being hauled in for selling cookies at gun point.

If you don't want to buy food from some guys house, don't buy from him.

If you do buy from him and get sick, sue him in civil court.

But don't call the police and have his delivery boy hauled in at gun point for doing no harm to anyone.

Fascist.

Do you not recognize that the same document gives the state the power to create laws and enforce them?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I was thinking, we could look at this another way.

Why is this guy exempt from the laws? Why does everyone else have to play by the "rules" while this fellow disregards them?

Food for thought

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Ok guys......am I the only one that noticed FreeKeene.com? I mean....Freakin really? That's FreeKeen unreal!

Anyway, I live in the Savannah area and I have yet to hear of such, however, my neighbor, who I have witnessed on several occasions smoking a fat doobie on his front porch, sells frozen "concoctions" right out the door for .75 each to the kids around here without parents such as myself knowing exactly what is in this tasty treat!

My wife and I had the house built in this neighborhood as we thought it would be a nice subdivision to be in..........it used to be nice........

So, how would you feel knowing that strangers, without proper authority to sell food stuff, are selling whatever they "concoct" out of their own house?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Do you not recognize that the same document gives the state the power to create laws and enforce them?

Georgia state constitution:

Paragraph X. Bill of attainder; ex post facto laws; and retroactive laws. No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, retroactive law, or laws impairing the obligation of contract or making irrevocable grant of special privileges or immunities shall be passed.

Paragraph V. Specific limitations. (c) The General Assembly shall not have the power to authorize any contract or agreement which may have the effect of or which is intended to have the effect of defeating or lessening competition, or encouraging a monopoly, which are hereby declared to be unlawful and void.

But I don't need the state constitution to tell me that people have an inherent right to transact without state interference.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Georgia state constitution:

Paragraph X. Bill of attainder; ex post facto laws; and retroactive laws. No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, retroactive law, or laws impairing the obligation of contract or making irrevocable grant of special privileges or immunities shall be passed.

Paragraph V. Specific limitations. (c) The General Assembly shall not have the power to authorize any

contract or agreement
which may have the effect of or which is intended to have the effect of defeating or lessening competition, or encouraging a monopoly, which are hereby declared to be unlawful and void.

But I don't need the state constitution to tell me that people have an inherent right to transact without state interference.

Paragraph X -

and

V

This fellow did NOT enter into contract with the state, WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN A FOOD LICENSE and if he did he would have been subject two paragraph II and this would be a non issue, he would be in business and making his money and biscuits.

Georgia Food Act (section 26-2-25) "it shall be unlawful for any persom to operate a food sales establishment without having first obtained a license from the commissioner"

www.foodscience.caes.uga.edu...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
As you can see, that law violates the state constitution as well as the national constitution, thus to borrow a phrase from the state constitution it is "unlawful and void".

Perhaps you don't understand that mans natural rights, which are protected by the constitution, nullify such tyrannical laws.

The right to do business with other individuals is not something the State grants, it is something the State is supposed to protect.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It really makes my cry to see all these people in here applauding the police denying people the right to conduct private transactions.

This country is finished.

When people applaud police arresting the sale of homemade biscuit makers and praise the State restricting the conduct of business to only those people it deems worthy, we have lost.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

@ about 3:47

"Let's bust that guy for biscuits and gravy. That's a gateway drug you know. That usually leads to a fried porkchop or something."

On the other hand... operating without a business license and likely no health permit is illegal.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by abecedarian]

on the other hand legislation like that is exactly what puts the poor man out of business.. or.. just not in business in the first place.

2 sides to every coin.
Abductee

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

According to your logic if my kid sets a kool-aid stand up on the street they would be violating health laws and subject to a fine at worst and god forbid they may put the 7-11 out of bussiness by selling too many cups of kool-aid. give me a break! this is stupid and some cops idea of getting tough with a person that made his girlfriend mad or something...Just like the guy in the video said Its just Biscuts and Gravy! Too many chains are filthy and pass a half hearted inspection because they pay for a license fee> Its corruption from the top to the bottom and not to mention just stupid...and remember don't drink the Kool-aid!

[edit on 1/4/2010 by DJMSN]

[edit on 1/4/2010 by DJMSN]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I heard contradictory information.
The announcer said the guy did not have a business license.
But in the interview, the business owner says he showed them his business license.

Someone is not telling the truth.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Then i don't believe you listened very well...the guy on the video was talking about his personal drivers license not a business license. The point is moot...again its just Biscuits and Gravy and for selling them without benefit of a license is a max $25 dollar fine...not threats and interrogation!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Selling food is one of the easiest ways to make money but here in the states they make it so difficult for an individual to sell food it's not even worth it.
With today's economy they should loosen the laws a little so those who are out of work can have an income.
I'm all for the regulation of big commercial enterprises, but an individual can't afford to obtain all the permits etc. when they are first starting out.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
back in the USSA brother - Good find, I do pick my friends well.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
This is exactly why the previous great depression was nothing compared to this. Back then you didn't need a portfolio of insurance and licenses to sell a cup of coffee or biscuits and gravy.

Damn, it's almost like they want good decent people to somehow become outlaws.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join