It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selling Biscuits And Gravy Will Get You Arrested

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by mnemeth1

So I go to this guy that I heard is selling great biscuits and gravy out of his house. I buy 5 and feed them to myself and my family for breakfast. About 900 I start feeling ill, as do the rest of my family. Nausea, vomiting, headache so severe that we all go to the local ER, to find out we ate bad meat. Investigation shows that the meat was stored at 50% because the man's refrigerator doesn't work very well. So to recover my 1000's of dollars now owed to the hospital and for my wages for missed work, I file suit against the guy selling biscuits out of his house. Only he doesn't have any insurance or collateral to cover any of my costs, and I wasn't the only family who was affected by this, everyone who bought them that day got poisined from them.

This scenario is why we cannot just sell biscuits out of our house. We want and we need regulation. If the guy had a license to sell the biscuits and gravy, he would also be inspected to insure that he is selling safe foods for consumption, and that they are properly stored. He would recieve a book of rules to follow, he would be required to get insurance to cover costs such as the scenario above. Inspection also makes sure that bugs are not crawling all over the foods too. IMO it is a good thing that this is a regulated industry.

One thing that people in this day and age don't do anymore - take responsibility for their own actions....

You went to the "House" it is upon YOU to make sure that YOU are paying for what YOU purchase when YOU open that door and to make sure YOU are responsible enough to find out if this biz is legit or not..YOU took the "RISK" not anyone else.. You are the one who may have had doubt and bought the food anyway....

I am of the mind that if I take a "RISK" at anything no matter how minuet it may be that it is upon ME to pay for that risk even if it means a trip to the hospital - & if YOU took that RISK and placed it upon YOUR FAMILY with the thought process that the biz may not be legit....Then my friend it is YOU who needs to pay not the person who sold it to you....

In the state of VA - Radar detectors are illegal to use in a car but it is NOT illegal to sell them - it is you who takes the risk at getting caught.. It is YOU who made the choice to purchase that product be it food or other wise....

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
What's wrong with selling biscuts? Maybe an educated police officer can explain it to me.

I suppose this is what happens when one doesn't comply with the traditional cop "shakedown" and the proprietor insist that the cops actually pay for their breakfast.

I guess the guy should have been selling doughnuts....and giving them to the cops for free.

Just my 2-cents

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by hdchop

YOU took the risk and left your house. YOU are responsible for getting stabbed in the street not the stabber.

Edit:

What about the businesses? Don't they have to take any responsibility?

[edit on 5/1/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
reply to post by hdchop

YOU took the risk and left your house. YOU are responsible for getting stabbed in the street not the stabber.

That's right - it's not your fault you didn't look down when you triped on the crack in the sidewalk - so you sue your county for mill... don't think so..

But that's my point - you do take a risk walking out of your house.. if you fall off the deck you look back see a nail and sue your contractor - think not...

edit for spelling

[edit on 5-1-2010 by hdchop]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732

Even WITH Board of Health government regulations in place, there are business that will feed you food with mouse turds in it. While mouse turds may not make me sick, I would rather not eat them. While I generally like less govenment in my life, I like the government telling businees they cannot sell me food with mouse turds on it.

If a business is out selling food with mouse turds in it, you don't need a government agency to tell you not to eat it.

If a business is run like a slop house, reviews will reflect that. In fact, I bet 9 times out of 10 that you've decided not to eat at a restaurant it has been because you personally got sick there once or someone else you know got sick there and told you about it. A government agency is not necessary. Its a massive waste of your tax dollars.

The government's job is not to protect you from getting sick, the governments job is to ensure you have a recourse should you be harmed or defrauded in a transaction.

If you get seriously sick, you can bring them to court and sue them over it. This is the job of government. They are not supposed to be the nanny protectors of your bowels.

If a business knows they can be sued if they sell rotten food that makes people sick, they aren't going to do it. If a business knows they will get bad reviews and people will stop buying their food if they make people sick, they aren't going to do it. No agency is needed.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
I was thinking, we could look at this another way.

Why is this guy exempt from the laws? Why does everyone else have to play by the "rules" while this fellow disregards them?

Food for thought

Wait! Do you have a health department license to provide that food (for thought?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

As you can see, that law violates the state constitution as well as the national constitution, thus to borrow a phrase from the state constitution it is "unlawful and void".

Perhaps you don't understand that mans natural rights, which are protected by the constitution, nullify such tyrannical laws.

The right to do business with other individuals is not something the State grants, it is something the State is supposed to protect.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by mnemeth1]

That's right. If I want to contract with Acme Tomato Picking Company to bus 50 Mexicans over the border, any regulation making me stop at Customs/Immigration is null and void by virtue of natural law. Hooray!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

Originally posted by Janky Red
I was thinking, we could look at this another way.

Why is this guy exempt from the laws? Why does everyone else have to play by the "rules" while this fellow disregards them?

Food for thought

Wait! Do you have a health department license to provide that food (for thought?

He's not but the shoe fits on both feet - if you are a responsible person and get duped that's one thing, but if you go in knowing or even with some signs around you that this is not a good thing then it's upon you to either take the risk and eat the food, go along your merry way or go along your merry way right down to the county building - not to your local police buddy to set up a sting operation and nab the delivery boy...

Sorry but one dropping, a bad smell or even just a feeling or site of un-cleanliness makes me turn around back out the door...

edit spelling and to add........

this is why it is my choice NOT to go to seedy places..If you do then it is most certainly upon the individual that takes their own risk....

[edit on 5-1-2010 by hdchop]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

If a business knows they can be sued if they sell rotten food that makes people sick, they aren't going to do it. If a business knows they will get bad reviews and people will stop buying their food if they make people sick, they aren't going to do it. No agency is needed.

Sorry, but you are wrong. If your above statement were true, then no one would ever get sick from eating bad food from a restaurant, deli or bodega.

Businesess constantly sell expired food, food not kept at proper temperatures, food that make people sick. My sister is an food inspector in NYC. She mainly inspects bodegas and delis in poor neighborhoods. Every day she has to throw out food in these establishments because they are kept at unsafe temperatures, have mouse droppings in them, or any one of hundreds of other violations.

Businesses don't always do what they are supposed to or what is right for the customers. Customers can't always see what is being done wrong so they don't have all the information they need to make the decision to not eat there.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by craig732]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I will admit I haven't read the whole thread, but there are so many regulations involved with running a a busness, especially a food based buisness, that it is a wonder that there are any privately operated resturants or home based food busnesses out there.
My brother and I are hellacious cooks. You name it, one of us can cook, bake it, or broil it. My brother even makes his own dry rub for barbque(you have to be careful, 'cause he likes HOT peppers.) Although both of us have considered going into a home based buisness, we decided against it because the government regulation, from the feds down to local, make it not worth the hassel.
To run a home based busness, I wouldn't have to borrow money. I have what I need to start. But they have no way of keeping track of the money I bring in, so the various governments can't keep track of the taxes I'm should be paying.
Regulation has destroyed the entreprenerism.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732Customers can't always see what is being done wrong so they don't have all the information they need to make the decision to not eat there.

Isnt that information enough? If you cant be certain the food isnt going to kill you dont eat it.

I dont ever eat out for numerous reasons. On the extremely rare occasion I do it's from a place/person I know personally and have seen their kitchen personally and I feel fairly confident that any meal eaten will be a safe meal eaten.

How folks can just walk into any unknown and consume something is beyond me. I'll never understand it.

Hell, I dont even participate in "pot lucks" because people are gross.

And government "regulation" is absolutely no proof of safety or cleanliness. It's just proof that a check cleared.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
For everyone, including you Janky, this has nothing to do with Pelosi, other than the fact she is the center of everyone's hatred for the Federal Government.

That being said, I order food from several under the radar food service places here where I live.

I will not eat another Dominoe's or Pizza Hut plastic frisbee's.

My neighbor makes one of the best pizza's I have ever eaten.

I myself take orders on smoking meats. My specialty is my smoked pork loin made with Pappy's seasoning amongst about 10 other seasonings.

You cannot get some of the best foods in the US if you go to these piece of **** franchises.

Hell, I get together with a lot of friends every year and have a get together at a local tavern and we make approximately 1200#'s of smoked hotdogs, bologna, brats and other meats.

I guess we should be arrested to in your peoples eyes.

Welcome to the USSA where the inmates are their own jailers.

Open your eyes people, the government cannot and will not protect you from the very corporations that constrict your liberties. Quit feeding the beast, both the gov and the corps.

[edit on 1/5/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is a prime example of the abuse of power and resources by LEO. Fortunately for the individual involved, the DA intervened and performed his job in upholding the law.

Had there been a valid legal basis for the detention of this individual, criminal charges AND subsequent arrest, the DA would have responded to the contrary.

For the representatives of LEO here on ATS.

This cites another example of the legal abuse of power by law enforcement that commonly flies under the radar, so to speak.

This type of scenario also exemplifies the fundamental basis as to the voicing of negativity towards law enforcement community as a whole here on ATS, and not necessarily for simply doing your job.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
In my country, the Philippines, although we have laws about business permit and health certificate and sanitation certificate requirements for restaurants/fast foods, people are allowed to sell any type of food on the streets without these rules.

But listen guys... a few years ago, an old woman selling homemade cassava cake without sanitation certificate and health certificate got the food contaminated with some type of chemical from her kitchen, and killed lots of kids. The old woman didnt even know that she has poison sitting in her kitchen, this could have been avoided.

The old woman was of course arrested but they cannot bring back the life of those kids that died.

I understand that many people in our country(Philippines) are poor and wants to start a small business but if you are selling food.... health and sanitation code is a must and needs to be enforced strictly. Otherwise there are other options for you people who wants to earn a living, I do not think that garage sale in the US is illegal is it? Or selling on ebay without a business license isn't it? Come on, don't be acting like there are no other options in this tough economy other than selling biscuits and gravy.

Regulation is necessary, too much of it can be bad, but come on... anybody can sell food without any types of checking and rules is absurd. The guy would have gotten my sympathy if it wasn't food that he was selling.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Delete me.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Protostellar]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by boniknik
In my country, the Philippines, although we have laws about business permit and health certificate and sanitation certificate requirements for restaurants/fast foods, people are allowed to sell any type of food on the streets without these rules.

But listen guys... a few years ago, an old woman selling homemade cassava cake without sanitation certificate and health certificate got the food contaminated with some type of chemical from her kitchen, and killed lots of kids. The old woman didnt even know that she has poison sitting in her kitchen, this could have been avoided.

The old woman was of course arrested but they cannot bring back the life of those kids that died.

I understand that many people in our country(Philippines) are poor and wants to start a small business but if you are selling food.... health and sanitation code is a must and needs to be enforced strictly. Otherwise there are other options for you people who wants to earn a living, I do not think that garage sale in the US is illegal is it? Or selling on ebay without a business license isn't it? Come on, don't be acting like there are no other options in this tough economy other than selling biscuits and gravy.

Regulation is necessary, too much of it can be bad, but come on... anybody can sell food without any types of checking and rules is absurd. The guy would have gotten my sympathy if it wasn't food that he was selling.

That's a horrible story.

But lets look at the facts here.

Sanitation certificate or not, people die from food poisoning all the time. Many of whom are poisoned by improperly prepared food at fully certified restaurants. As to the poison, restaurants have far more industrial chemicals on site than most peoples houses. There's no reason to think such a tragedy would have been prevented by a sanitation certificate.

You can't deny peoples right to transact based on the faulty assumption that somehow government will protect you from food poisoning.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm amazed by how much faith people seem to have in some arbitrary certificate.

All it is is a license to poison. Kill a few people, make a dozen sick? It's okay. Just pay your fine and the issuing authority gives you your little piece of paper back and all the customers return with it.

This illusion of safety is making us all much less safe. We've stopped thinking for ourselves, judging for ourselves, and protecting ourselves because we seem perfectly happy to hand over our very well being to a little piece of paper on the wall that in the end has no impact whatsoever on the food or food preparers.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Scenario,

John Doe comes to my house during breakfast one morning. He's invited to eat with the family and loves the biscuits and gravy. He says he would be willing to pay me if I would make it for him every morning too. I agree, my son delivers the food to John each morning for a share of the money, we are all happy.

Then Joe Smoe visits John one morning and tastes the biscuits and gravy. He knows John can't cook and wants to know where he got them. John calls me and asks if I would be willing to let Joe have the same deal. More money, same work, lives close to John, so no problem for son, sure Joe can have some too......then Bill Deal visits Joe.....

One day I have extra meat left after breakfast, as a friendly gesture I send it along to John, he enjoys it so much he asks if he can add meat to his daily order. It's really no extra work, sure he can.....

John knows he's eating the same foods I feed my family. He knows my house is clean, no rat turds or roaches in the foods. Joe trusts that John knows what he's buying is safe, Bill trusts Joe knows too.

You aren't running a restaurant, it's a private agreement between friends...it's working out well for everyone.

Then Officer Max Facts sees #1 son making the morning deliveries...they threaten to lock me up if I don't stop. For my family's sake, I agree. Poor John, Joe and Bill, who can't cook, are now forced each morning to choose which poison food chain they will risk their health with that day.
---------------------------------------------

You don't have time to clean your house, your neighbor is a great housekeeper and could use some extra cash. You enter an agreement with the her to clean your house. Others on the block learn of it and offer her the same deal.....

So what's she gonna do when Officer Facts sees her coming and going from all these houses? Is he gonna make a big deal of it, not likely, even though it's basically the same situation as the other.
---------------------------------------------

A private person, doing a private service for private people, it's the way our government elite work and make money, they certainly don't want "us" doing it too. Not everything requires bureaucratic intervention...they just want you to "think" it does.

This country is so full of foolishness these days....sigh

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
To bad this guy wasn't here in N Texas. It's so hard to find quality biscuits and gravy. I don't know how anyone could take the health inspection issue serious. Obviously many posters in this thread lived a very sheltered life and never worked in the food service industry. Ask yourself next time you're sitting in that inspected establishment how many times that young man yanked his wank today before bringing that wonderful food to you. I also would find it hard to believe that you have every friend. family or co-workers house inspected prior to having dinner with them. We are constantly told that health inspection and business licsencing are regulations to protect us, yet the big corporations keep offering worst products in both quality and health, less service and all at a higher cost. These permits and licenses aren't to protect you the consumer, they're only enforced to protect the creators of thier existance the corporations. Through regulations they create the need for higher start up revenues and larger risk for individuals, they do this to eliminate and minamize possible competition.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
it stuns me how quickly these threads can turn into a left vs right argument

has everyone forgotten?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e5074454fcc.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join