It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is my pharmacy giving me? Seriously concerned about this.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I have no idea where to put this thread at, so forgive me if it's in the wrong place. But I had to write this up because it is really bugging me out.

I am prescribed Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for bipolar, this new script I picked up for this month is a different pill (it happens, different generics I know that) but this is different.

The pill is round, white, no score, blank on one side and on the other side there is a lowercase z and under that the number 12.

I have researched pharmaceuticals and have identified pills many times before, for myself, and for others, and have never made a mistake. Please prove me wrong here ATS, because I cannot for the life of me figure out what I was actually given.

The reason this strikes me as even more odd is that my dosage was increased without my knowledge from four 25mg tablets (2 in the morning, 2 at night) to 5 daily. Like I stated above the pill is also different (not a different mg pill either, 25mgs each) and it taste like some sort of fruit extract (best way to explain it). If I smell the bottle it goes along with the taste, and the taste goes away with the sip of a drink, but it is very identifiable - you could randomly put pills in my mouth and I'd be able to tell this pill out from any other.

Note that I have been on a lot of different medications, no I am not crazy, but this is really bothering me. Every pill ID should be available on the internet, but after searching with every possible search string available to me I cannot find out what this pill actually is. There is no way it is actually Lamictal, unless they added a damn fruity taste and new shape to the pill.

For those of you who want to know more info on what the drug I'm supposed to be getting is you can read that info here.

Please, someone find me information telling me what this is I have been taking! My memory has been very horrible the last week specifically, to the point I cannot remember words while typing/talking (very uncommon for me). While typing that last sentence I forgot to add the word "week" while typing but noticed it was missing when I re-read what I had just typed. I woke up yesterday with bruises on my body that I have no idea where they came from, and I had slept at a friends house after a night out (but I had noticed the bruises before going to bed but thought nothing of it until now).

I want to add I had just typed many mistakes while writing this up, although I believe I caught them all and fixed them. Regardless of all that, I am hoping someone can help me out here.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
[edited]

This thread has been edited because of my anti pharmaceutical stance, was not wanted by the OP.

NOTICE removal of posts by staff or members because an individuals sensibilties is not ATS policy.

Nothing in this post prior to editing was against the T&C, I opted to edit in order to placate the thread author.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
The reason this strikes me as even more odd is that my dosage was increased without my knowledge from four 25mg tablets (2 in the morning, 2 at night) to 5 daily.

So what did your doctor say when you asked him? You have asked him, havent you?

Also what did the pharmacist say about the pills - you have asked them, havent you?

Why are you coming here for a medical and pharmacy opinion, instead of seeking help from those that can tell you?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Ive had a good look on the web and i cant find it either

i recomend you take them to another pharmacy and get whatever info you can, just dont tell them they were for you, act stupid and make them explain it to you without giving anything about yourself away,

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Yeah well understanding the depth of my actual disorder is something I've learned the hard way, that was without medication. So far the time on this med, Lamictal, which is something I personally researched before asking for instead of what I was taking, has been a much better life for me indeed. I don't trust big pharma what so ever, but I have to have some faith in the medication I take or I would be completely screwed.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
funny that my first post would have me advocating something i don't usually prefer to do myself, and unfortunately i may not be of much help... however. i myself have been on lamictal in the past for partial-complex seizures and i have to warn you not to screw around with this stuff. GO TO THE PHARMACY FOR YOUR ANSWERS and if you don't get any to satisfy you, then please GO TO YOUR DOCTOR. if your personal research is turning up nothing, then don't stop there. DON'T SCREW WITH LAMICTAL. it has a very thin therapeutic margin (not sure what the proper term is) that varies widely from person to person and sometimes even a mere 25mg increase can cause wacko side effects including the ones you have.
the "fruity" flavor you describe is especially concerning to me. as i recall, lamictal had a horridly bitter taste that would cause me to twitch in disgust if the pill got stuck on my tongue.
please go see your pharmacist or doctor; if you feel you cannot trust them, then take the bottle to a different pharmacy or doctor. this is too important and potentially dangerous to leave to ATS to advise you.

*please be easy on me for any spelling mistakes or typos; i am legally blind and it is difficult to monitor my entire post with the screen as enlarged as i have to have it to see. that and i am lazy.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
The reason this strikes me as even more odd is that my dosage was increased without my knowledge from four 25mg tablets (2 in the morning, 2 at night) to 5 daily.

So what did your doctor say when you asked him? You have asked him, havent you?

Also what did the pharmacist say about the pills - you have asked them, havent you?

Why are you coming here for a medical and pharmacy opinion, instead of seeking help from those that can tell you?

Yeah this is exactly what I'd like to do, go ask the a**holes who screwed up to give me the right med instead of whatever lawsuit I'm holding in my hands. Screw that.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hi there, i have a friend with bi-polar and ive reguarly checked up on what hes taking, a bit of research on what they have prescribed you brings up something to the contrary, i pulled this up for you:

Anti-epileptic medication

Maybe im wrong, but it might be worth having a chat with your GP.

Take care mate.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've worked in a pharmacy before, and we often received calls from patients who wanted us to identify a pill they had found.

We had a pill guidebook. It was coded with the information found on the pill....so that we could look up the name of each pill. I assume every pharmacy would have this book, but I can't guarantee this.

You should call your pharmacy and ask. If they can't identify it, call poison control and ask. I am sure they have the guidebook.

Regardless, talk to your pharmacist and ask why the prescription changed. Who knows, it may be an error on their part. Have them show you the prescription the doctor wrote and verify there was a dosage change. Then make them show you the bottle the medication came from. We would do this all the time for patients where I worked, it shouldn't be an imposition (but it doesn't matter if it is, because its your right to know these things).

Then call your doctor and make sure he wanted to change your dosage.

Do these things today! It's very important!

Good luck, keep us informed.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Is THIS your pill? It's chewable Lamotrigine, 25 mg. I'm taking a chewable of my script and it's sweet tasting and smelling.

I would only take 4 until you find out if the DR. increased your dosage (VERY unlikely without your knowledge) or the pharmacy made a mistake.
I bet they hit the wrong number on the computer when printing the label.

But it's the same drug.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
you have a chewable form of lamotrigine. 25mg. Go to the bing search engine, search the phrase "pill id". Click on the first result from drugs.com. Agree to their little disclaimer and on the search page type in z 12. Dont bother with the shape and color options. And click search. You'll get all the info you need. Besides why your doctor changed your dose. Hope this helps!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
just some general info

if your pills smell of acetic acid - they have gone bad

this is true for OTC pills too- especially Execdrin

and other "tablet" type pills(they go bad faster)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Is THIS your pill? It's chewable Lamotrigine, 25 mg. I'm taking a chewable of my script and it's sweet tasting and smelling.

I would only take 4 until you find out if the DR. increased your dosage (VERY unlikely without your knowledge) or the pharmacy made a mistake.
I bet they hit the wrong number on the computer when printing the label.

But it's the same drug.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

YES thank you! I have not slept for many hours and once I realized all of this it scared the hell out of me. Sorry for anyones inconvenience, obviously I was not told that I was given a chewable forum of my medication, nor the dosage increase. I actually have an appointment today (just remembered that as well cause it's written down in front of me, something is severely wrong with my memory).

Thread can be closed now. Thanks again, just relieved my anxiety a bit.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Why not just take the prescription to a different pharmacist and ask them? Why all the mystery?

Second.......you don't have bi-polar. It's called being moody. Doctors/pharmaceuticals just LOVE naming conditions especially when it has to do with our mood.
I highly suggest you get off all drugs and seek and take herbals instead. St Johns Wort for example.

Stop looking for an easy fix (not so much you but the doctor anyway). It's like putting a band aid on a broken bone only, the band aid is riddled with bacteria.
Learn to cope!
People are incapable of coping now a days! It's too laborious! If something doesn't change as quickly as the channels do with a remote control then, it's too much!

We all have issues so.....welcome to what's called: Life! We need the bad to appreciate the good. It's the Yin/Yang continuum!

And all these designer diseases are probably the bi-product of all the vaccinations that were shot in our arms decades ago. Aren't we ever going to learn????

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Hello. My wife takes Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for a seizure disorder she has had all of her life. She takes 150 mg three times a day. She reports that it tastes "nasty" to her, especially when it begins to melt down in her mouth. This effect you speak of may be from the brand name, but I would say more investigation is deemed here.

I will say one thing here, my wife used to take Depacote for her disorder, and she has a son whose brain was damaged by this drug while he was in the womb. Be careful with any drug you are prescribed is always a good rule of thumb.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If you get a new script, isn't it written down on the actual prescription?
If your meds change, doesn't the doctor/consultant discuss it with you?
When you get a new issue, doesn't it say on the bottle/packet?
Really if none of this has happened, you need to take it up with the pharmacy/doctor/consultant not ATS. You can't expect people to guess what your pills might be.
And no, pharmaceuticals are not all poison. How silly....

Edit - I see it has been identified now. The best thing is to check your pills when you pick them up and query it if not sure. I just find it odd that medication is not identified on the pack or the bottle. Isn't this illegal where you are?

[edit on 4-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Pharmaceuticals are poison, that what the issue is. Artificial chemicals that some big pharm company made to cause more side effects, than what it is treating. Don't forget, it is only a temp fix, not a cure.

Nonsense...and I don't think you should be disparaging treatment and leading people to drop their meds. That's the only thing keeping some folks on an even plane. Shame on you!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwoPhish
Second.......you don't have bi-polar. It's called being moody. Doctors/pharmaceuticals just LOVE naming conditions especially when it has to do with our mood.
I highly suggest you get off all drugs and seek and take herbals instead. St Johns Wort for example.

Again...a stupid comment. How many people went through hell living their lives as 'moody' then they finally found out there was a clinical reason for their episodes...and that it was treatable! The OP himself said how much better things were with the right meds. But you know better? Fool!

If you've never dealt with bipolar...you have no freakin' idea!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Very true, only a Bi-Polar knows what it's like to live that way, and no doctor, no matter how much he/she is educated in the field, does not know.
I am Bi-Polar, and have spoken to many doctors about it. Most ask me questions about it, what it's like and so on. Bi-Polars, for the most part are very intelligent, and mechanically/scientific minded, and can do most anything they set their mind to do. I would say, and not in an offhand manner, that our Founding Fathers were all Bi-Polars.

For the record, I do not take any pharmaceutical drugs for my Bi-Polar disorder, what I do take is a certain herb we are not to talk about here.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I listed some herbs in this thread that are good for your condition.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Prescription drugs are dangerous!

I will say one thing here, my wife used to take Depacote for her disorder, and she has a son whose brain was damaged by this drug while he was in the womb.

Why do people fall for this big pharma hype?
So, oh well, stuff happens sometimes?
Could it be the billions they spend on advertising?
Usually of a woman practically skipping through the daisies?
Telling you all the while you have a choice!
No wonder health care is considered an "industry".
And we are considered factory farmed guinea pigs.
Its driven by profit, not actual cures.
Where diabetes at 12 is considered normal and so are heart attacks at 30.
If you dont keep coming back there is no more profit for them!
Good luck with your condition.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by dodadoom]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join