It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is my pharmacy giving me? Seriously concerned about this.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
As a medical professional (RN), I still have a problem w/ this. Are you saying your pharmacist or MD switched you to a chewable and added a dose w/o your knowledge?! Something is still seriously wrong here. Route is IMPORTANT, it effects that way the med is absorbed in the body (pharmacokinetics, for the word-smiths).

PLEASE call you MD immediately and ask whether you truly were switched on both. This could have been a simply transcription error (MD writing is notoriously hard to decipher). If your current regime has been working w/ little to acceptable side effects, it is NOT normal to change them. If so, ask why you were not informed of that fact. But w/ the facts so far, I suspect a transcription error, and I don't want you to swing a system that is working out of whack b/c of someone's mistake.

As for the pharmaphobes, Bipolar is not moody. In severe cases, psychosis can set in, and in manic times they can make horrendous and seriously damaging decisions they would not normally make. In depression, they can kill themselves. Why on earth would you console a stranger (who is the ultimate expert on their own health) to stop doing what they have, through painful trial and error, found that works? Seriously?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

And now the personal putdowns and namecalling begin?
Wow, what a shocker! That was quick!

I am not saying avoid proper treatment when neccesary! DUH

I am saying get a second opinion with whatever treatment you decide to go with!
You are responsible for what goes into your body.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by dodadoom]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
yo are not alone i to would like to know what Im being given i had back surgary 2 years ago what did they change when i was out

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by freeseeker

Obviously we would need more information to help.
Whats the name of the drug(s) and what are your concerns specifically?
What was done during surgery?

Maybe someone "in the know" can answer your questions.
Couldnt hurt!

[edit on 4-1-2010 by dodadoom]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

And now the personal putdowns and namecalling begin?
Wow, what a shocker! That was quick!

I am not saying avoid proper treatment when neccesary! DUH

I am saying get a second opinion with whatever treatment you decide to go with!
You are responsible for what goes into your body.

If it sounds like I am sick to the balls of hearing that 'some guy on the net' is as attention-worthy as my gp or my oncologist...then call me cranky. Your DUH is well placed...while you are not advocating the dismissal of modern medicine in favour of whatever 'some guy on the net' is telling us...many do.

This debate is continuing...and as I have graphically pointed out, there is a cost! People die as a result of trying the turnip/chicken-# diet...or whatever...instead of being treated conventionally while they can. And those who advocate ignoring the radiation and going for the turpentine/pomegranate protocol instead...are messing people up and blithely ignoring the consequences of their notions.

Forgive me, dodadoom, for dumping on you, as I said in my u2u...you merely caught some of the splatter.

Big pharma is a racket, yes. But to ignore the advantages modern medicine offers us is Darwinian...as in we may have to listen to some, but chances are pretty good we won't hear as much from their progeny.

Self edit to say YES...educate yourself! But consider the source of your data!

[edit on 4-1-2010 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
from my experience, always ask about side effects.
Lamictal has been known to (rarely) produce a life threatening rash that can cause your entire flesh to BOIL off.
I stayed away.

At a hospital i was given effexor without being told the side effects.
I did not beleive in HELL before having withdrawels on this drug.
i just got off of it, after months of living hell.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Hi there, i have a friend with bi-polar and ive reguarly checked up on what hes taking, a bit of research on what they have prescribed you brings up something to the contrary, i pulled this up for you:

Anti-epileptic medication

Maybe im wrong, but it might be worth having a chat with your GP.

Take care mate.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Treating Bipolar with an Epilepsy Medication ???

Thats a new one.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think everyone should stick to natural medicine...

forum.grasscity.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Let me make it clear that I posted this in a hurry because I had A) had not slept for approx. 2 days and was not clear headed (I apologize for the inconvenience like I earlier stated) and B) I know a plethora of info on medications, pharmaceuticals, some chemistry, etc... The only reason I made the mistake with the ID of this medication is because I was never told it was the chewable version of my normal medication, and the raised 25mgs was something I was unaware of.

I normally would never have made this post, and honestly don't regret making it because someone was quickly able to help ID my pills, and I do not regret taking my medications. I trust my doctor who I've been seeing for nearly 2 years, he is paid well but listens to what I have to say - as in I do my own research, make my own assessments and have chosen what medications suit me best, and my bipolar has gotten much better ever since I started lamictal.

I clearly know what medications I am own, the side effects, and everything that comes along with taking them.

You can tell me otherwise, I don't care. Screw you all who are telling people off for taking medications to help themselves (I'm sorry remove this sentence if you wish but the horrible things said in this thread should be removed - especially the things such as don't take meds!) and telling someone who suffered through cancer, survived, and try telling him he will get it back! How dare you, any of you, make any assumptions of the like!

That is horrible! It is inhumane to speak to blatantly about things you obviously have no business in talking about.

Seriously mods just close this damn thread, there is no use trying to tell people who think every medication is used for population control or some other conspiracy. Obviously everyone is very paranoid. And a mod telling me not to take meds? Real smart. I really think mod status should be given to people with the actual intelligence to make much smarter responses, something like "consult your doctor" would have been much better of a response. I don't care if you have moderator under your name, that does not make you correct about everything. You are no subject expert when it comes to medications, when you show me your Ph.D in chemistry, pharmaceuticals, other something relating to that profession, then you can make whatever statement you make. Heck, if you even knew anything about the subject what so ever you'd know better then to tell someone to stop taking their medications. You do realize some of the medications I'm on can cause me to have seizures that can kill me? Yes kill me. I have had a seizure before from getting a script 3 days too late, bit a piece of my tongue off!

So please close this thread, remove it, burn it on fire for all I care. All the DIS INFO in this thread makes me sad, mad, and upset.

I regret to inform all of you who think you know the answers to everything that you are wrong.

Get a life, and read a book!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Were you actually that worried about your doctor prescribing you something you didn't need that you didn't sleep for two days? Well, I guess they could always be giving you mind control drugs or are trying to induce a psychotic episode :/

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

How about visiting another pharmacy?

Maybe the one who filled yours has a different supplier and have a generic marking.

I wouldn't take one til I knew EXACTLY what they were....

good luck

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

I know exactly what I have, they made the mistake of giving me chewable tablets which I didn't know they had of lamictal, when I've done my research I normally don't look up about chewable tablets since these types of medications aren't usually taken under the tongue, and chewing a tablet up means some will be directly entered into the blood stream via sublingual dosing.

Lamictal I didn't know what something that can be taken sublingually and I thought I knew a ton of information about this medication, guess I made the mistake of missing that tidbit of information which is why I thought I had some different medication. All is good now about this situation though, confirmed the dosage increase with the doctor, seeing him this week personally to talk to him, going to bring up the whole insomnia thing as well for the thousandth time, but I'm not expecting much.

Looks like vitamins may be the way to go, I may have some deficences that may be keeping me from sleep - how funny would it be if that's how easy of a fix it was? Although something bad happened in my childhood that seems to be a possible reason that I cannot sleep (subconsciously it may be bothering me) and I need to talk to my doctor about that as well. It started when I was 6 (my insomnia) and it all started after this specific event... someone trying to kidnap me.

That's very traumatizing to a 6 year old, but it's honestly never bothered me, but I just think it may be putting insecurities within my subconscious that I'm unaware of, but I do a lot of meditation and have never gotten this connection with my past to comply with my insomnia, so who knows? Maybe someone will be able to help me eventually. I really hope I can sleep right some day VERY soon, it's so horrible not sleeping right.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
i understand where your coming from,,

my medications are cofusing as well,,the pills constantly change in looks and effects to.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Treating Bipolar with an Epilepsy Medication ???

Thats a new one.

Did you just read that guys post and think you knew all about lamictal? Because if you actually go even look on wikipedia it even explains how it is used with bipolar.

And I hate using wikipedia for answers, but even it shows it there.

Now you want real info, do a search and you will see it is medically used for bipolar as well.

Medications often have more than one use, and also off the label uses, although I am not using mine for an off the label use, it is being used for what it helps - bipolar.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AthenaCD

Constantly change in look and effects?

Doesn't sound correct. Medication looks should only change if the dosage is changed, or pharmacy really. Every once in a while a specific pharmacy you go to may change who they get their generics from but other than I don't see why you would see change in pill size/color/shape whatever (unless something happens like what happened with me, but that's not common to happen over and over to the same person).

And, if you are noticing different side effects ALL the time, then I would be talking to your doctor. That isn't a good sign. Unless all the side effects are neutral, but they should still be brought up nevertheless.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
me too, i don't get it, how 'intelligent' people, that made it to ATS, would still take a pharma drugs, unbeplevable

whats then all research on 'pharma business', 'placebo effect', 'power of mind', 'nutrition' is about

but i do kind of get it, been coke addict myself, when friends do it you do it too kind off, for solidarity yuk

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelx666
me too, i don't get it, how 'intelligent' people, that made it to ATS, would still take a pharma drugs, unbeplevable
whats then all research on 'pharma business', 'placebo effect', 'power of mind', 'nutrition' is about

but i do kind of get it, been coke addict myself, when friends do it you do it too kind off, for solidarity yuk

I would certainly not wish any kind of illness upon you.

But I sincerely hope that you will keep this statement in mind the next time the doctor says: "No problem...take these pills and they will fix everything right up."

And please...report back to us with your choice.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Your talking to someone who was diagnosed many years ago with what you have. Btw ,Which type out of the 3 bipolars are you ??

Ive been there, tried this and that....Nothing seemed to work, some meds made me worse or give me side effects that were not acceptable.

I had a friend of mine, a Nutritionist change my diet.. and low and behold, 6 weeks later with no meds i no longer feel the way i use to.

Life without bipolar, is BLISS.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwoPhish

Second.......you don't have bi-polar. It's called being moody. Doctors/pharmaceuticals just LOVE naming conditions especially when it has to do with our mood.
I highly suggest you get off all drugs and seek and take herbals instead. St Johns Wort for example.

Stop looking for an easy fix (not so much you but the doctor anyway). It's like putting a band aid on a broken bone only, the band aid is riddled with bacteria.
Learn to cope!
People are incapable of coping now a days! It's too laborious! If something doesn't change as quickly as the channels do with a remote control then, it's too much!

so i take it your a qualified shrink to make assesments like that eh?

my friend you have no idea how mental illness works.
i myself have a mental illness due to being abused as a child, i fogot for a while then around the time i was 19 i started to have flashbacks and nightmares, now i take mood stabilizers that stop me gettin angry for no reason and kicking the # out of anyone i see.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join