It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland Bans Blasphemy

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubberHead
Er, where are the mods on this thread? Sitting back eating popcorn watching all this petty bickering?

As an Irish citizen, I would like to say that this law is foolish and embarrassing. Unfortunately we have a Constitution that is overtly Catholic and does have a blasphemy law. However, I construed from the Irish Times article that it could not be brought to conviction as there was previously no definition of blasphemy - now there is, so religious groups will be able to harass journalists, artists etc. through the Irish court system. It is surely a sad day.

TBH I am surprised that this thread does not have pretty much everyone in agreement that this is a foolish law, and a constitutional referendum to get rid of the original (and apparently ineffectual) nonsense altogether would have been the better route. Sadly it seems to have derailed into 8 pages of nationalist posturing.

THAT is one of the most intelligent posts in this entire thread.
It's like someone threw the op out as fresh meat at a shark feeding frenzy.
It is quite simple to debate a topic without attacking other people...yet that gets forgotten so easily.
Quite simple for me to say that I was born of Irish Protestant heritage, and I DO curse like a sailor, and if I were to be living in Ireland I dare say anyone who would take away my right to freedom of speech which is damn near freedom of thought, can kiss my wee Irish arse and bloody well like it.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Er, where are the mods on this thread? Sitting back eating popcorn watching all this petty bickering?

As an Irish citizen, I would like to say that this law is foolish and embarrassing. Unfortunately we have a Constitution that is overtly Catholic and does have a blasphemy law. However, I construed from the Irish Times article that it could not be brought to conviction as there was previously no definition of blasphemy - now there is, so religious groups will be able to harass journalists, artists etc. through the Irish court system. It is surely a sad day.

TBH I am surprised that this thread does not have pretty much everyone in agreement that this is a foolish law, and a constitutional referendum to get rid of the original (and apparently ineffectual) nonsense altogether would have been the better route. Sadly it seems to have derailed into 8 pages of nationalist posturing.

I agree. I'm surprised that not everyone thinks this new law is foolish. Hopefully it will get overturned in the future.

I have yet to meet somebody here (in Ireland) who agrees with the blasphemy law.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Agreed, but most countries have governments who do not see the long term effects of their policies until it is too late. History is littered with these mistakes.

Ireland and it's government is no different to any other country.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by C-DNA

maybe because i cant spell?

or did that escape you? or maybe i have a probelm with english??

its funny how people point out how bad i type lol tho granted i still love behtoven

he was partialy deff you know

and geuess what I CAN READ! amazing innit LOL and im sure AUS will "wipe" off the union jack from her flag..

wont make much difference to us will it?

and just so you know i didnt spell state right
lol

and its not that you was gifted mate, its just we kicked your ass a very long time ago and you happen to use it like the rest of the planet

unless that is you can speak and type in mandarin

; ) she nah LOL

[edit on 1-1-2010 by 13579]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Another step in the wrong direction for another nation on this tiny planet. I thought this planet had enough of letting the clergy make decisions? What the Hell happened?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by audas

sigh , it is not mere semantics - he claimied that most of northern ierland was catholic

i , and i expect most other reasonable people expect that to mean a level > 50.00 %

that is why i challenged the origional statement

as you are clearly unreasonable , there is little point continueing

YOu mean because you were clearly wrong - and proven so - there is little point in continuing as you are unable to admit to your errors - plumbing the depths of irrelevant semantics in oder to prove your point failed - so in the light incontrovertible proof you simply wander off - how upstanding.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by simon75
reply to post by audas

in fact the vast a majority were Irish - deported from northern Ireland as part of the British pogrom to dilute the northern Irish with English and protestant blood

It was Scotish Crofters (Protestant) and loyal to the crown that were sent to Ulster and not the English due to this province being the hotbed of Irish rebellion against English rule while at the same time depopulating the area by sending your ancestors "down under".

Read about the history of Ireland, everything from 1200 AD - 2000 AD. If you are truly of Irish origin you would at least learn what was done to Ireland and it's people.

And before you start on personal attacks of which we have all seen you are pretty adept at, (but it's getting old - I hope my spelling and grammar is up to your elevated standards), I am English born but was raised in Ireland and have read both sides of this part of history.

This site is all about denying ignorance but you are showing a complete disregard of this.

[edit on 1/1/10 by simon75]

If you are going to accuse me of being unreasonable in my very reasonable assessment of the insane things being written int his thread - and let face it the stuff people are writing is insane and needs to be addressed as such - (Australia is still a Colony and has no constitution!! Northern Ireland is not a catholic Majority !! A majority is not the most number of people !! Come one FFS!!) - the at least make sure you have your facts straight - especially when delivering a dressing down to someone on history - and you are in fact wrong. You have attempted to water down almost 500 years of English oppression through repeated invasions, occupations and land seizures by English Barons, Barons, Solders - to a single revolt in 1607 - as though the Scottish crofters were THE single or even dominant form of land acquisition - which is a complete re-writing of history.

I have no objection to being corrected when the correction is in fact right - however as has been evidenced in this thread over and over again - people are simply making up facts, have no idea of history, logic or the English language - here are two links which well and truly corroborate what I was saying -

en.wikipedia.org...
www.historyonthenet.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

Australia is still a Colony and has no constitution!! Northern Ireland is not a catholic Majority

But that is true???

AUS is still a part of the commonwealth? its has no real constituion because of the fact the queen is your head of state?

and northen Ierland is not a catholic majority? the biggest party in NI is the DUP?

and besides that its runs its self now just like AUS does? sure the queen is head of state but who cares?

she dont make laws does she? We the people do? its only history.. and she still can take over the EMPIRE if she so wanted but never would its pointless even if she said she would?

we dont live in the past anymore mate.. sorry to burst ya bubble

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FirstRonin

Accord to the 1st Amend of the USA Constitution, Congress cannot make any laws forbidding the free exercise of one's religions beliefs, nor any laws respecting one religion. Yet, 1st Pres Bush signed public law 102-14-Mar. 20,1991, a congressional joint resolution recognizing the 7 Talmudic "Noahide laws" as "the basis of civilized society and upon which our, great Nation was founded" ??
with hope that 1991 "will be seen as... the year in which we turn to education and charity to return the world to the moral and ethical values contained in the Seven Noahide Laws".
What?
Law #4 of these laws esteemed by our leaders is as follows:
"4. Cursing the name of God is forbidden. Besides honoring and respecting G-d, we learn from this precept that our speech must be sanctified, as that is the distinctive sign which separated man from the animals."

From Wikipedia:
"Traditionally, Judaism regards the determination of the details of the Noahide Law as something to be left to Jewish rabbis. This, in addition to the teaching of the Jewish law that punishment for violating one of the seven Noahide Laws includes a theoretical death penalty (Talmud, tractate Sanhedrin 57a), is a factor in modern opposition to the notion of a Noahide legal system."

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 1-1-2010 by pumpkinorange]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Why you brought the Muslims into the debate, when it's about Ireland a catholic country.

32,000 of them in 2006 according to islam in Ireland

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

Interesting find there PumpkinOrange.

Amazing what can be signed through the legislature.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by wookiee

Why you brought the Muslims into the debate, when it's about Ireland a catholic country.

32,000 of them in 2006 according to islam in Ireland

Which means under this law if halal meat isn't offered to muslims it is blasphemy.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

What a great source of revenue. It is just another way to fleece the general public.

But luckily it is doomed to fail because there will be too many people breaking this ridiculous law - how are they going to police it anyway? Come into your home to check your conversation?

This PC rubbish has gone too far this time, as well as for far too long. Being 'PC' means being a liar and a hypocrite.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

I would say it will be enforced simply by claims of people be offended. Imagine for a second you are with friends and one of them is religious. You make a joke or use words they consider blasphemous. The next day you get a knock at the door, some friendly police officers tell you that you are to be charged with breaking this new law. So you end up in court and plead your case.

I don't know if this will require a jury, i'm guessing it will be down to the discretion of a judge. Now of course it gets a little tricky because if the judge is religious (and it's ireland so assume he/she is) then you're screwed.

Also once again, how is this going to effect comedians? Why in gods name do the religious get a special pass that stops anyone mocking their beliefs? So it's ok to mock someones political standing,it's ok to mock someones financial standing, it's fine to have a go at someones fashion choices but as soon as it is about religion then you can't comment.

What really annoys me is that i'm sure many of these religious people love free speech and they have probably criticised atheists in the past and yet as soon as something they don't like comes along, then it must be stopped by law.

If their faith is so strong why do they need to stop anyone speaking out against it?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Well for one thing Irland will now lose alot of tourist business. Who wants to visit a country which won't allow you to be yourself and speak your mind.
Marks Irland off his travel list..
Darn and I really wanted to see were some ancient dude in armor supposedly drove out the serpents, then have a pint of ale and sing obnoxious songs to the wee hours of the morning, then get into a fun fist fight with the locals..

Guess thats going to piss off alot of the local pub owners as well, cause what else is in Irland. Can I say Piss? Run in fear of being fined. By the thought police.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm a late arrival to this thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Doesn't this new law make 'Father Ted' illegal?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
LOL, Well , theyre bringing the war on the people now ?
One wonders what exactly the irish are scared of ?
How can the world be taught to be your own mind, and then they pull this one out ? One can only wonder why the God fearing all of a sudden?
Alot of people will be scared about losing money on this one , I guess this is a victory to the church in Ireland, lol, oh well, suck it up ireland , im sure there are many other oganizations to attack , this is funny , another irish joke on the horizon eh?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Surely a friend wouldn't report you?

As for the comedians, it is becoming more dangerous to expose ridiculous censorship these days.

But the Irish are a feisty lot, and they won't put up with this for long - maybe they will vote out these idiots.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by Aeons

Excuse me I am lying?? I posted the direct material from wikipedia..the most popular active encyclopedia..neutral by any stance. I posted exactly what is mentioned there. Infact it was you is lying and misrepresenting laws.

No, I am not.

Common law is a system of laws that layer over time. Some laws and regulations merely stop being useful, or are superseded by other legislation.

The Magna Carta is still fully Canadian Law - even though many parts of it have been superseded by more comprehensive laws.

Unless a law is challenged, or edited it remains on the books. However, it is unenforceable or even ridiculous under new circumstances.

There was also a law on the books saying that in a western prairie city that a person being kick out of town was to be given a gun and a horse and a weeks worth of food. Doesn't mean it happens.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms ABSOLUTELY unequivocally supersedes any legislation or regulation that happen before, or since its enactment.

Now that I have explained this thoroughly - there is no possible way that you could not be aware of this phenomena of common-law unless you actually live under a rock. Which means you are either relying on Wiki to the point of stupidity - where something may be true but contextually irrelevant - or you are lying.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Stupid law.

Ireland is falling back into the dark ages.

pfft.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join