It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland Bans Blasphemy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Ireland Bans Blasphemy

blasphemy.ie

From today, 1 January 2010, the new Irish blasphemy law becomes operational, and we begin our campaign to have it repealed. Blasphemy is now a crime punishable by a €25,000 fine. The new law defines blasphemy as publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-1-2010 by FirstRonin]

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This is the beginning for many countries. Freedom of speech is going the way of the dodo. I feel sorry for the Irish people that such a primative law has been passed. How long before we see this all over the globe?

Hold onto your tongues, you don't wan't to offend anybody now.

Can we not speak our minds? The thought police are knocking down your doors as we speak.

Just flabbergastered!

Copy of the Law here

blasphemy.ie
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-1-2010 by FirstRonin]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Completely stupid waste of time. Who makes this rubbish up.

Dunno how the Celtic supporters are gonna get round this when they are screaming abuse at the Rangers ... and vice versa.

Would it even cover that, the difference between Catholic and Protestant, both are Christian faiths ?

Or is inter faith abuse acceptable ?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Would it even cover that, the difference between Catholic and Protestant, both are Christian faiths ?

Or is inter faith abuse acceptable ?

The bigger picture here is that these laws are being presented to the UN.

The days of speaking your mind against organised religion, be it Christian, Muslim or Buddhist are numbered.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Completely stupid waste of time, who makes this rubbish up ??

I will tell you my friend "lawyers" they are on a pigs back when it comes to all this "PC" nonsense, Never really workable at grass roots level, People will enter into discussion if they know there is no violent intent and seek to come to an agreement over any disputes..
This is the new (NWO ?) Europe there is no putting the clock back on this. .
We will be made to harmonise/integrate, Like it or lump it...

Personally, I am all for it if it means stability and peace for all concerned

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ireland (not Northern Ireland) is mostly Catholic. I'm sure that's how that happened. The Church is very powerful in Ireland.

First off the Irish curse like sailors, so good luck with that law.

Second, I don't care where you present that, that one will not be tested in the US, not in a 3 yr period where there are 2 major election cycles.

But I'm sure a lot of Christians will be salivating at the mere thought of this.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Okay, before it is instituted here in the US.

Obama Damn It!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE I blasphemed a messiah.

HEY! HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE!

Well sir, you will be coming with us! You have gone too far!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hello 1423 - gotta love progress.

Morons - every cliche about the Irish came true with that one headline - a great, well loved people are once again the laughing stock of the earth - stupid irish.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

As a fundamental christian,I don't want laws like this one passed!
I speak my mind and so do a lot of others.Laws of this nature kills
free speech and thought.If the muslims get this type of law passed
in the U.N.,there will be a lot of people who will suffer for it.
I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut,it will be interesting to
see how far this goes.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Ireland should just give that up, they are not a christian country no more. All material wealth, with snitches for government at every corner of society, just looking to destroy there neighbours.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by ziggystrange

As a fundamental christian,I don't want laws like this one passed!
I speak my mind and so do a lot of others.Laws of this nature kills
free speech and thought.If the muslims get this type of law passed
in the U.N.,there will be a lot of people who will suffer for it.
I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut,it will be interesting to
see how far this goes.

As a fundie surely this law would never effect you as you should not Blaspheme. unless your thinking it would stop you from attacking other religions.
Why you brought the Muslims into the debate, when it's about Ireland a catholic country,.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

I'm part irish,speak with a little more respect please.There is a form
of stupidity in all races,nationalities...So,the irish passed a foolish law,
why brand all the irish for it!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
But the Irish are not "Irish" any more so to speak my friend, They are now officially European and follow legislation from brussels Europe, If i am correct, The Irish government just jump through the hoops, That's what your mis-sold Lisbon treaty has done for the Republic.. IMO

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Did you even bother to read the article?Well,I did!
In the second paragraph it states..."because islamic states led by
pakistan are already using the wording of this irish law to promote
new blasphemy laws at U.N. levels."
Next time, before you shoot your mouth off,know what you are talking
about before you post it!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
what I ask myself for "reflection purposes": Don't you getting extremely aggressive and violent if you are not able to curse if you need it.

I mean if you are hammering on young finger is a word like "fuc*" not more an "Outch" as cursing? And what happens when it's forbidden to say "Outch".

All are getting insane and the state has more taxes from that than from Co2.
LOL

CX

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Good luck with this one......the only nun i've ever known in my life was Irish, and she uses more colourfull language than anything i heard in my years in the forces!

I kind of appreciate the respect thing when it comes to blasphemy, i mean i will say "God" and "Jesus Christ" often as a curse, but i wouldn't in front of someone who is a strong believer. It's just courtesy as far as i'm concerned.

This is something that is learnt and done off your own back though, not enforced by way of laws.

IMO the church has enough problems to deal with, or should i say many ways that are a turn-off for people, especially the Catholic church in Ireland recently. I think a law like this will just turn even more people away from religion.

People will only take so much.

CX.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
so is it illegal to be atheist or is that one of the defences mentioned?

this is just like the biased anti-racism laws, more bs law we don't need, thankfully I don't live in ireland and they best keep this law out of the uk. who makes up this crap?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by KKinsane2009

Three words...Politically correct lawyers!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
What would happen If I slagged of the Irish Catholics via the internet,from outside of Ireland but within the EU?

Would I face prosecution from Ireland?
Or does it only apply to those within Ireland?

I am wondering if this law will be used in a similar way to the "holocaust denial" laws-that you could be arrested if you deny the holocaust from outside Germany,but then enter the country.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Utterly stupid imo.

Isn't this the perfect excuse for many people to test the new law "en-masse" and achieve the absolute opposite...lol

"Holy Christ, all I want's a Guinness, for god's sake don't get all high and mighty about it!"

...with some defences permitted.

My defence..... "god made me do it!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join