It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten world air forces?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
why does isreal have better airforce than britain cause i frankly all i c is that they have american jets thats it

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
thats the point american jets are the best in the world and since brittan wont buy russian jets but makes its own which are frankly very bad or buys frech junk which also is very bad.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
thats the point american jets are the best in the world and since brittan wont buy russian jets but makes its own which are frankly very bad or buys frech junk which also is very bad.

hmmm, you seem to forget about the Harrier and the Tornado. I think that this is a waste of time trying to rate these airforces. Why dont we all just say the US is best and call it a day.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
what the harrier and tornado are both a very bad compared to ans F-15 F-14 and F-35 no need including the raptor

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

what the harrier and tornado are both a very bad compared to ans F-15 F-14 and F-35 no need including the raptor

You seem really interested in these aircraft debates but your overlooking a lot.

A. The F-14 is on its way out.
B. You cant compare either plane to an F-14 as it is a dedicated interceptor and the two planes in question are a Combat Air Support and A multi role attack plane.
C. Neither of these planes will ever meet an F-15 14 or 35 on a battlefield.

I love the US Air Force about as much as anyone else but you cant detract from the ingenuity of the Harrier and the good job the Tornado IDS does at its dedicated role.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
actually the F-14 is not on its way out and im not saying that they will meet on the battlefield im just saying US planes are better that the british ones.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   

actually the F-14 is not on its way out

Im sorry but it seems as though it is:

Originally designed in the early '70s to attack and destroy enemy aircraft, the Tomcat has reached the end of its service life, explained Cmdr. Doug Waters, executive officer of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5�s Fighter Squadron (VF) 154, embarked on USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63), one of 10 F-14 squadrons in the Navy.

�The F-14�s been around for a long time. It�s been a great fighter and a strike fighter. It�s just getting old,� said Waters.

Although the Tomcat has been upgraded and modified since its debut to the world, the 30-year-old design requires too much maintenance, explained Waters. Because of older hydraulic and electrical systems, the F-14 is more difficult to maintain than newer aircraft.

�Our squadron flies F-14As, which is the original model Tomcat,� said Waters. �It�s a testimony to how good our maintainers are, that they�re able to keep those jets full-mission capable and lethal as they are.�

According to Waters, in the '90s, naval leadership made the decision to phase out the Tomcat and replace it with the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet. The F/A-18 E model of the Super Hornet is a single-seat aircraft, while the F/A-18 F�s two-person crew resembles the F-14�s crew more closely, with a pilot and a radar intercept officer.

Link

These words from Navy News.com speak for themselves. Unfortunately the F-14 is slowly being phased out as it is a rather old platform.

And you also claim that these aircraft are better than the british ones but the question remains.

What are you basing this off of?

The airframes perform different tasks entirely and thus cant be compared. Sure an F-15 would kill a Tornado IDS in air to air combat, but the F-15 would not be as effective against a couple armored targets as the Tornado IDS.

RAB

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Ok the Tornado IDS is a attack aircarft, but the Tornado ADV is a very long range intercepter with a very long range radar with the AMRAAM it's hard to kill with the new BVRAAM It'll be very hard to kill.

The RAF is playing with RAM's and carbon fiber leading edges on the tornado ADV if the marry to two we will have a aircarft with range hard to detect and with a missile that will have vast range.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

actually the F-14 is not on its way out

Im sorry but it seems as though it is:

Originally designed in the early '70s to attack and destroy enemy aircraft, the Tomcat has reached the end of its service life, explained Cmdr. Doug Waters, executive officer of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5�s Fighter Squadron (VF) 154, embarked on USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63), one of 10 F-14 squadrons in the Navy.

�The F-14�s been around for a long time. It�s been a great fighter and a strike fighter. It�s just getting old,� said Waters.

Although the Tomcat has been upgraded and modified since its debut to the world, the 30-year-old design requires too much maintenance, explained Waters. Because of older hydraulic and electrical systems, the F-14 is more difficult to maintain than newer aircraft.

�Our squadron flies F-14As, which is the original model Tomcat,� said Waters. �It�s a testimony to how good our maintainers are, that they�re able to keep those jets full-mission capable and lethal as they are.�

According to Waters, in the '90s, naval leadership made the decision to phase out the Tomcat and replace it with the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet. The F/A-18 E model of the Super Hornet is a single-seat aircraft, while the F/A-18 F�s two-person crew resembles the F-14�s crew more closely, with a pilot and a radar intercept officer.

Link

These words from Navy News.com speak for themselves. Unfortunately the F-14 is slowly being phased out as it is a rather old platform.

And you also claim that these aircraft are better than the british ones but the question remains.

What are you basing this off of?

The airframes perform different tasks entirely and thus cant be compared. Sure an F-15 would kill a Tornado IDS in air to air combat, but the F-15 would not be as effective against a couple armored targets as the Tornado IDS.

So what you are saying is that the British only have air to ground aircraft and doesn't have any air dominance aircraft like the F-15 or F-22 damn that sucks for brits.
And the F-15 carries the most air to ground ordinance out of all other US fighters but on the battle field we don't need the F-15 just call the A-10.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

So what you are saying is that the British only have air to ground aircraft and doesn't have any air dominance aircraft like the F-15 or F-22 damn that sucks for brits.
And the F-15 carries the most air to ground ordinance out of all other US fighters but on the battle field we don't need the F-15 just call the A-10.

You could have edited that quote a little..............
I dunno where you got I was saying "the british only have...sucks for the brits". I was saying that you were comparing two different platforms, and I really dont care about the RAF so Im not gonna sit here and battle their strenghts and weakneses.

And the whole second part of your post leaves me scratching my head. So the F-15 E Fighting Eagle (not the regular air supremacy F-15C) carries the most ordanance, then why are you talking about the A-10?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
the RAF has got A2A platforms or have you not been paying attention
the tornado is an A2A platform
and so is the eurofighter and so can the harrier be

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
i mentioned the A-10 because someone said that the torrnado is good against armored targents on the ground so i said the US has the A-10 for ground targents and dsen't need the F-15 for that role.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hello folks!
pretty interesting discussion..

check this article out..

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...~IAF~shoots~down~USAF~top~guns

waiting to see how the next competetion between USAF and IAF will turn out..

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
there might be 2 things going on here either the us airforce did this on purpose to get the F-22 or the F-15 is getting old and that should not surprise anyone because the plane waas made in the early 70's but i cant wait so see the IAF up against a raptor they wont even know what hit them.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

and if you are still confused than i cant help u with that but mabey a special ed school can

I wouldnt try telling me that Im mistaken as your the one who thought the F-14 was not being phased out.

RAB

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is one of the most hated planes ever the USSR feared this thing due to it's range and missiles this is the closist that a lot of airforces have to a intercepter I.E. single role (We have just given it alarms as it is cool ww platform.

link:

www.raf.mod.uk...

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

and if you are still confused than i cant help u with that but mabey a special ed school can

I wouldnt try telling me that Im mistaken as your the one who thought the F-14 was not being phased out.

Actually you only told me what a navy commander thought not real documents signed by the navy to retire the F-14 on a certain date. the F-14 will still be around at least 10 years from now.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23Actually you only told me what a navy commander thought not real documents signed by the navy to retire the F-14 on a certain date. the F-14 will still be around at least 10 years from now.

Well if you had any inkling of knowledge you would see the F-14 is a 30 year old platform that has no real purpose now that a direct threat to the fleet has been removed from the strategic equation.

Anyone in the Navy or DOD will tell you that the Super Hornet is the interim replacement for the F-14 until a suitable replacement comes along.

Quit trying to have the last word.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
the F-18 would not stand a chance up against an F-14 mabey an F-35 but not the hornet and just cuz ist old dosent mean it isnt good.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

the F-18 would not stand a chance up against an F-14 mabey an F-35 but not the hornet and just cuz ist old dosent mean it isnt good.

And you base this off of?
What attributes make the F-14 more deadly than an F-18?
Ive seen you make a big stink in several threads about the F-22 and F-35 but they arent even in full production let alone front line service yet.

The F-18 is a younger airframe and the F-18E Super Hornet is particularly agile and deadly. Its more versatile than the F-14 and although not as fast it performs better at slower speeds.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join