It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29% of Americans say religion 'out of date'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
When people are unhappy, instead of changing their lives, or working for a better world, they turn to religion for false comfort.

The sooner it's gone, the better.

Regardless of how you feel about religion, you must come to terms and accept that religion is what keeps everyone from going ballistic.

Is it wrong to kill ?

Is it wrong to steal

Is it wrong to lie

Simple applications in your every day existence which keep people from doing you harm, and no, its not the law..!

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

No reason to threaten violence bs er BS bray 11.
You seem full of passionate anger, and that is good, for God in Heaven has ben even more angry.
I am cetain that you did not really mean you would punch them in the face, for that is an animalistic emotion based response. Very below your reasoned and analytical study of 911.
Now, go to your room without TV or desert for two days.
What ? do you want to make it five days?
LOL

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnine_sweet
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Jesus Christ, can you see around that huge ego you carry around?

Is Jesus Christ carrying around a huge ego?

I was listing facts. Like the fact you are arrogant and condescending, which is what a lot of my original post was about. It takes a special breed of person, (which generally can be labeled as "progressive") to consider ignoring reality and factual truth as a difference of opinion.

It's your truth, not necessarily 'the' truth. What you label as progressive, I label as regressive. Truth when referring to religion is highly subjective and ambiguous at best. Facts? I don't see any!

Im just rational.

That's debatable!

And people coming to your house to share something that they believe is wonderful, however misguided it might be, is a world away from pseudo-intellectual asses trying to legislate that everyone must live and believe as they do.

No it's the same thing. If christians could control legislation that would in turn dictate how people live their lives, they would... and they have! Even a cursory glance at the history books attests to this. They must rue the day church was separated from state!

Set down the giant ego for a while, and try to understand the world around you, instead of dismissing everything you don't understand and everything that is different from you and your beliefs as inferior. You might find some real enlightenment, then.

I do understand the world around me and I am very enlightened. To suggest I need an ancient form of mysticism to achieve this is extremely ignorant, narrow minded and arrogant! You know nothing about me to even make such a statement. Perhaps you should check your own ego... and your own agenda?

And btw....no knowledge is ever outdated; it is only misunderstood and improperly applied.

So a sun that rotates around a flat earth is misunderstood and improperly applied? Women burned as witches not outdated? Need I go on for paragraph upon paragraph? Religion has been incredibly wrong a multitude of times. It was certainly not the word of an all seeing, all knowing god that produced crap like that. Religion was created by man and it's no more enlightening that other works of fiction.

I'll stick to things we actually know to be true. I'll stick to empirical data... things we can prove to be fact through science. Faith is not for me.

Thankyou!

IRM :shk:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The concept of "love" alone carries all of the morals you mention in its practical applications to real life situations. Morality is not solely dictated by religion, though most all religions on the Earth teach love and kindness to one another.

I don't think it is a product of religion, I think it's the opposite: "good" religions are those that teach common-sense morals for how people can live harmoniously with one another, and strengthen communities and group efforts. It basically all comes down to loving one another, like I said, and that has been around for as long as families have existed.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

explain and prove quarks then.
To only believe what has been proved is limiting.
do you believe they exist, have you seen any?
Does the quark behave differently in the presence of each different investigator?
Enlightened scientists, those evidencing a creative force of intelligence behind ceation, that is God.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

To answer your question, no I don't. There is science and pseudo science. Don't get me wrong, there are also parts of science I don't subscribe to. That's why I intentionally included the word 'empirical'. I subscribe only to that which we can prove to be true... not that which may be called science but has elements of faith.

I'm also not a fan of string theory, dark energy, dark matter and black holes. The list goes on but hey... I don't need to type out my entire resume of believes to satisfy you guys do I?

IRM

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
reply to post by tristar

The concept of "love" alone carries all of the morals you mention in its practical applications to real life situations. Morality is not solely dictated by religion, though most all religions on the Earth teach love and kindness to one another.

I don't think it is a product of religion, I think it's the opposite: "good" religions are those that teach common-sense morals for how people can live harmoniously with one another, and strengthen communities and group efforts. It basically all comes down to loving one another, like I said, and that has been around for as long as families have existed.

Indeed, as religion has adapted to human evolution throughout the earliest recorded history, i simply find it confusing to say the least that people tend to think of religion as a one dimensional aspect of human interaction. There are many aspects of religion which do approach and go far beyond the realm of science. It is all a question of what one seeks within religion and to what extent he or she is satisfied with the outcome.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IrnBruFiend

I believe the story of the Three Little Pigs is actually drawn from the parable of the two builders in the Bible.

Build on the Rock

Matthew 7
24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
26 “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: 27 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? You should be, imo, if you think the Bible is crap.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Indeed religion needs a major overhaul and get rid of the obvious bias and backwater beliefs.

The "Hardcore" Atheist who spews more and loud of their gospel truth gives me the impression of being spiritually lazy; Just like the Zealots gives me the impression of being intellectually lazy.

I'm kinda bit of both and became too complacent.. perhaps the problem lies with me really..

In any case I'de rather believe in something, rather than nothing, at least I have something to look forward to.

Even if they say I'de be lying to myself or it's not true or I'm deluded. What can they do? it's my mind I have the final say.

Religion gives me the stories of hell. Science tells me about the body decomposing. Both are not so pretty.

However in Religion they also speak of heaven, and in Science or at least a branch of it speaks of Multi-verses and that there is consciousness after death.

From Religion I get don't do unto others what you wouldn't want them to do unto you.

From Science, don't jump of the building, there is gravity you'll be sorry.

I get a bit from both, and discard what I don't like. At least I'm happier living with that thought. Isn't that what matters?

I wouldn't get rid of Religion. Why should I? In everything there is a good and bad. It's the Zealots that makes me uneasy.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by fmcanarney
No reason to threaten violence bs er BS bray 11.

I didn't make a threat, I said if someone tried to ram religion down my throat, the way a brainwashed parent would psychologically abuse their child, that would be the consequence. I wouldn't be angry, I would just be "pumped" and rather enjoy it.
Always refreshing to see someone make an ad hom out of the initials of my name, too. (I have seen better.)

You seem full of passionate anger, and that is good, for God in Heaven has ben even more angry.
I am cetain that you did not really mean you would punch them in the face, for that is an animalistic emotion based response. Very below your reasoned and analytical study of 911.
Now, go to your room without TV or desert for two days.
What ? do you want to make it five days?
LOL

Any time you feel like acting out your little fantasy,

293 Drake Trail, Cloverdale VA, 24077.

Until then, take care of yourself.

PS -- Also funny that you say God is very angry but then that anger is an animalistic response. I agree -- the God of your OT is an animal -- and even in the NT -- he kills his own "son" for no logical reason. I know the mythology, too -- like I said, no logical reason. It's an awful story.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Not going to bother with most of that rant, as it is off-topic. However, your two examples, of flat earth and witch burning, are indeed not outdated.

It is important to know that the world was once considered flat, and to apply that knowledge to help form an understanding how perception is shaped. Its quite a parallel to AGW, for instance.

It is important to know that women were burned as witches for myriad reasons. The one I would rate at the top, based on my own opinion, is that even the most fervent of religious fanatics cannot deny the power and allure of the feminine over the minds of man, for it was the fear of that power, combined then with the fear and dislike of anyone who is different, that led to the insanity of witch burning. Obviously, there are lessons about understanding and tolerating those who are different in there, too, and perhaps your dismissal of such insights might explain your inability to grasp the idea of understanding and tolerating those you disagree with. As with the flat earth idea, it is a knowledge with vital insights to give, if applied properly.

That will be the end of what I have to say on that matter, as I feel it is getting far off topic with your arrogant attacks of anyone who differs in opinion with you, or presents factual data that you disagree with. And btw, I was using the term factual as it is used in science. If you lack the base knowledge to understand how some of my statements were facts, I implore you to gain that knowledge, rather than attacking others to defend ignorance.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
what is it that we were all told -cast off the chains that bind us to the past -WHY?
let us see the false profits were doing business in the ancient church or are they the church and money lenders.
Moses and his armies destroyed all the women men and children of those he conquered -mass murderers.it is no wonder that all the surrounding nations are still a little upset to this day as those who survived must have fled to tell the truth and our churches suppressed this with their book. all hail the conquering hero?
we the children of rock and roll caught them changing altering and destroying the book after they were told not to -and when we questioned them on it they told us to believe them or leave their church a lot of us left and will never return.
how about the day the church erased the 9 letters above the Christs head and told us that this was a lie and that the new truth they changed it to was the new truth [4 letters] -LYING HERETICS.
how many times do we read in the papers that another priest has once again molested one or more of our children and we still send then to learn from them believing that our kids are safe.and if they get caught they figure that a little cash will help to cover their tracks and what of the little ones future believing that all that was done to them is right as this is a man of god -death is to easy for the perp.
they spout off about the deadly 10 and yet they do nothing to stop the insanity of humanity they proclaim it is gods will so why do we make laws to protect us and they are not worth the paper they are written on .
it seems that through their great teachings we as a species chose to break everyone of the 10 and so much more and where were the so called religious leaders and their priests ops they are still trying to start another holy war so that the winner can proclaim that they are the chosen people -HOGWASH AND THEN SOME.
since when did spirituality become about -greed ,war ,death ,hate ,destruction of the world ,destruction of our species ,destruction of everything in this world by us and the list is endless-and we are intelligent -since when.
i believe they the church called us sheep or the flock -in other wards those who follow blindly without using their own minds ,they who take every lie that they are told as the truth because they were told that this is the truth -no matter how great the lie!

in time all churches will fail as the people will finally begin to put the pieces of the puzzle together for them selves and we will all eventually walk away from them .

NO FOLLOWERS -NO BELIEVERS -NO MORE LIES

THE TRUTH IS THEIR OWN DOWN FALL

NO MORE CHURCHES.

the numbers are now falling as this is what is supposed to happen so why not let it go .no more mind control and no more zombies [sheep]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

You have given no facts whatsoever. The flat earth and witch burning were all ordained by the church, ergo god. You can spin all you like but it doesn't change the fact that the church lied, manipulated people for their own ends, ruled with a fear doctrine and did dastardly things to innocent people.

Very enlightening stuff indeed!

I too am done with your nonsensical discourse.

IRM

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

29% of Americans say religion 'out of date'

rawstory.com

A Gallup poll of Americans' attitudes towards religion released on Christmas Eve found significant recent increases in those responding either that they have no religious preference, that religion is not very important in their lives, or that they believe religion "is largely old-fashioned or out of date."

Only 78% of Americans now identify as Christian, while 22% describe their religious preference as either "other" or "none."
(visit the link for the full news article)

DO NOT BE FOOLS! THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD, HIS NAME IS GOD! THERE IS ONLY ONE SON OF GOD, OUR ONE AND ONLY SAVIOUR, HIS NAME IS JESUS CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD.

THIS IS IT, AND THAT'S IT!

EYE OF EAGLE

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Religion may have started as a way to educate people about the Truth, but unfortunately, some dark people corrupted the teachings so that, rather than setting people free, it imprisoned their minds. It seems some people are starting to figure that out & are rather dissatisfied.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Every group to ever hold power has done horrible things. That has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with power and the failings and ignorance of the common man. But then, that's apparently too complex for some people to understand. Im sorry if religion left you feeling jaded once upon a time, or if you feel powerful by being an ass about it. Religion is no more evil than anything else, unless PEOPLE choose to make it so. It is merely a chosen point of view by some people. Good for them, to have the freedom to choose.

With your logic, Im assuming you must think guns are evil, too.
Oy.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EYEOFEAGLE

You can shout all you like but it doesn't make it so.

I find it humorous that people feel the need to use all caps when they actually have nothing constructive to add. Now who is ramming whose doctrine down whose throat? You guys are such peace loving, 'live & let live' people.

Shouting does not add weight to your argument.. but it does flag you as a bad sport.

IRM

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EYEOFEAGLE
DO NOT BE FOOLS! THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD, HIS NAME IS GOD!

"God" is only "his" name in English, not that it makes any difference if you call "him" Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Peter Piper or Jesus. You are seriously caught up in a bunch of nonsense.

I agree there is "one thing" from which all else came, even science is looking for this under the guise of a "unified field theory," but the true meaning of this profound understanding has been so corrupted from the original esoteric teachings that it is incomprehensible, mythological mumbo-jumbo at this point. One thing you should always remember is you have no right ordering anyone else what to believe, though you can offer them reasons all day and see how they make up their minds.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fmcanarney
reply to post by IrnBruFiend

Thank you for your opinion.
Now go to your room without desert, or television.

Okay, I prefer Scientology. Ron Hubbard can write better fiction than the three little pigs and the bible put together. At least we know who the con artists was.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Strange how when one poster put opposite spin on this poll and highlighted the fact that the poll states that 78% say that religion ISN'T out of date...(that is what the poll was asking according to the thread title) that all kinds of ridiculous reasons were thrown up of why people voted that way.

It was an anonymous poll so they could have voted NO if they wanted without fear of their local preachers kicking their butts.

And if they are too scared to renounce God, then I'd say that's having faith and being religious, than not.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join